• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does Nintendo HATE it when othes use their word "Pokémon"?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
I have heard about MANY Pokémon sites and fan sites and Pokémon hosting and image hosting sites getting in trouble from Nintendo because they don't like them using their word "Pokémon"! even rule34 website is required to tag all Pokémon images as porkyman instead of Pokémon because they got in trouble for using their word "Pokémon"... most websites that got in trouble for this report basically the same thing "they don't like us using their word 'Pokémon'!" why does Nintendo get SO UPSET when people use the word 'Pokémon' as a tag or as their site? why should it even matter? SquareEnix doesn't complain when people use 'Final Fantasy'!

Years
I would guess it's because they don't want their brand associated with third parties and/or don't want there to be any confusion as to what is and isn't officially licensed Pokemon stuff.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
R34 makes sense because I wouldn't want my brand associated with that either. It's...less than flattering, to say the least. Fan sites, on the other hand - I have no clue. Maybe they're just flexing their ownership muscles.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
A lot of companies are big on making sure people don't use the things they make money off of. They paid to make sure that no one else could use the brand, so they have a right to stop other people from using it imo.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So long as no profit is made, you can use Pokemon as its under free use license. Which is why they allow hacks to exist. If you make money off of the name, you are breaking the copyright on them. R34 is a negative view and gets a lot of hits when you search Pokemon so its to protect children.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2016
So long as no profit is made, you can use Pokemon as its under free use license. Which is why they allow hacks to exist. If you make money off of the name, you are breaking the copyright on them. R34 is a negative view and gets a lot of hits when you search Pokemon so its to protect children.

I agree, just as long as no profit is made.

Back