• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
I hate stereotypes. I wish anyone who wasn't sure about what they thought would just ask instead of assuming.

What bothers me more though is when people who should know better fall for stereotypes. Like my friend who's gay. He listens to techno and watches Glee, but of course he has other music he listens to like Lady Gaga. Okay, bad example. Anyway, he has said once or twice that he thinks that being gay makes him more attracted to certain kinds of music just like all the stereotypes say. I'm not sure he's kidding though. If I confront him about it and say that he's joking he kinda gets offended. I think he might half believe it.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, my laptop broke but my new phone has internet. I may not be as active as before but I'm still back. :P

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Today at my school, in my art class the students were having mixed conversations about glee and techno music, then some girl was saying her older brother still watches glee and listens to techno music, then she said "You can easily tell a gay guy by the music they listen to." This made me really mad, even though I didn't really show it at the time, I'm pansexual and I don't listen to techno or glee. So how do you guys feel about the constant stereotypes pointed towards members of the lgbt community?
Here's a few of my favorite songs.
Spoiler:

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like techno to me.

Oh, and I hate Glee. :)
(Don't kill me. D:)

Last edited:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
So how do you guys feel about the constant stereotypes pointed towards members of the lgbt community?

Bleh. Regardless of a person's sexual orientation, they have likes. Just because someone likes Lady Gaga or Glee and happens to be homosexual, it doesn't mean they like those things because they're homosexual.

Maybe it's an exposure thing. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have gotten into Gaga that quickly if my GSA didn't introduce me to her. If something becomes popular in a particular subculture, you can bet people within that subculture who haven't been exposed yet and are curious are going to check it out.

It's like "geeks" with Minecraft. The "geeks" don't like Minecraft because they're "geeks," they like Minecraft because it's freaking Minecraft. <3 However, they were possibly introduced to Minecraft because they were a "geek" and were informed about it by fellows "geeks."

If someone made a video that had a lot of Asian fans, someone might spread the news that "Asians love this video!" Curious, more Asian people would look at the video to see what the fuss is about.

My point is, if you're in a specific group where something becomes popular amongst it, you can be introduced by the group, but you'll judge it on your own merits. (If you're not a super-conformist.)

So that's how stereotypes like what you said stem from, and that's just stupidity dribbling from someone's mouth because they're making a stupid assumption in attempt to make a joke, which in turn wasn't really that funny.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Gay stereotyping, or any stereotyping for that matter, is an example of the post hoc fallacy. For those of you who don't know what that is (I only learned about it during an ill-advised attempt at taking an economics class lol), it's the false assumption that because B happened after A, A therefore caused B.

In essence, what I'm saying is the same as what everyone else is saying: Just because someone is gay and subsequently likes Glee, it doesn't mean the fact that he/she is gay caused them to like Glee.

/ohlookatmeitalkallpretentiouslol

Also, I will post some gay news tomorrow. I was going to do it now since it's been like a week, but nine-hour shifts at work tend to kill your energy levels :P

Years
I seem to have some spare energy so here are some news articles to chew on while SR gets some rest.

I gotta say, I'm quite saddened by some of what I read in the first article. I mean, Dancing With The Stars isn't at all important in the great scheme of things, but I thought people would be better than this.

And the Prop-8 supporting Mormon church seems to be on the PR offensive.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
Does anyone else think that it is more difficult for LGBT people to date? And that there are more strains in relationships than in heterosexual relationships generally?

Given the fact that the only gay people I know are on PC and Reddit, I'd say yes.

In straight relationships, it's generally accepted that the man will propose. In a homosexual relationship, there are either two men or no men at all. Would you rather be the one to propose, or would you prefer to be proposed to?

I would most definitely like to be proposed to. I will be the emotionally dependent person in a relationship, so I guess... :P

Oh and I like Glee (the music, the storyline is sooo weird -_-) I've recently started liking Gaga.
What about MLP? :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey! I'm Alexial, and I would love to join this club and show my support! :3

I'm bisexual, currently in a heterosexual relationship, which I am very happy with. I guess, I'm posting here to ask for advice too (and change the topic apparently ;o; sorry about that), because I've recently had problems with my sexual identity. I apologize if this question has been asked before, I looked to make sure, but there's never any harm in saying sorry in advanced xD;

So, Bisexuals - Would you "change" your sexual orientation according to your relationship if there were a guarantee that it will last?

Other Sexual Identities - What about you? Hypothetically, if you were Bisexual and in a Straight/Otherwise relationship, would you tell people that you were bisexual despite that?

Let me just say, I have always identified as Bisexual. But now that my current relationship is getting serious, I'm beginning to question whether or not it would benefit anyone to tell them (my partner already knows). I will always be me, and I'm a very big advocate of being honest to myself. And it is something that I will always know, like about myself, and be comfortable with. But, if I know for a fact that someone will disapprove, and by all appearances I'm "straight", should I bother telling them in the first place?

I also want to say, I think this is an amazing club and you're doing a wonderful thing here. I've especially enjoyed how there has been a big emphasis on education and awareness, which is fundamental to the cause at its essence. I'm proud to be a part of something like this, and I'm glad everyone has made it such a safe and inviting environment. No matter what anyone says, you should all be very proud of what you're doing.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
For me, just because you're in a heterosexual relationship, it doesn't mean that you stop being bisexual. And if someone says that you're straight even after you tell them that you're bi, they're erasing/policing your identity. The ones that would "disapprove" of you are the ones with the problems, and you shouldn't have to lie to them (and yourself) to make them feel better.

It's up to you to decide if you tell people you're bi or not. But for me, my sexual identity doesn't change no matter who/if I'm with someone, and I tell people the truth.

Welcome to the club, by the way!

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Nowadays, the female proposes sometimes. I guess as culture accepts that woman aren't always submissive, expected gender roles will change.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
For me, just because you're in a heterosexual relationship, it doesn't mean that you stop being bisexual. And if someone says that you're straight even after you tell them that you're bi, they're erasing/policing your identity. The ones that would "disapprove" of you are the ones with the problems, and you shouldn't have to lie to them (and yourself) to make them feel better.

It's up to you to decide if you tell people you're bi or not. But for me, my sexual identity doesn't change no matter who/if I'm with someone, and I tell people the truth.

Welcome to the club, by the way!

I've gotten to the point that I don't tell people unless they ask. So it's really inspiring to hear that you tell people your sexuality shamelessly. Truthfully though, am I censoring myself to benefit other people? Yes. And I'm not necessarily happy about that. But.. I know who I am, and I can't be stripped of that.

However, you're right, it does feel like my identity is being policed. I shouldn't have to doubt something that I know is true and love about myself, especially at my own expense. It's just something that I think about now that my life is in a different place. I really appreciate you're opinion, Astinus. Thank you.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

I've gotten to the point that I don't tell people unless they ask. So it's really inspiring to hear that you tell people your sexuality shamelessly. Truthfully though, am I censoring myself to benefit other people? Yes. And I'm not necessarily happy about that. But.. I know who I am, and I can't be stripped of that.

However, you're right, it does feel like my identity is being policed. I shouldn't have to doubt something that I know is true and love about myself, especially at my own expense. It's just something that I think about now that my life is in a different place. I really appreciate you're opinion, Astinus. Thank you.

I don't feel like it's necessary to tell people your sexuality like that. First impressions tend to be lasting. If your sexual orientation is one of the first things people learn about you, they'll tend to think of you as "that gay person".

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
1) Welcome, Alexial!

2) In answer to the question, I wouldn't bother to "change" my orientation. I wouldn't want to, regardless of whether or not the relationship would last. I'd just be fighting between my body and mind.

In other news, I have a question, similar to the "pill that makes you straight" question, but with much more freedom regarding the answer.

If you could have any one wish granted concerning your sexual orientation, gender identity and physical sex, what would it be and why?

Personally, I would wish to be biologically female (for those who don't know, I'm bigendered and somewhat dysphoric; while I can accept being biologically male and have my days where I'm more masculine, I still try ignoring it since it just doesn't feel right with me during many of my waking hours [and even in some of my dreams >_<]).
Given the option of surgery at the current capabilities of medical science, I would refuse in a heartbeat simply due to the fact that while I would obviously be less male, it still wouldn't be the real thing; it would only look like it from the outside for the most part.

Last edited:
Years
So, Bisexuals - Would you "change" your sexual orientation according to your relationship if there were a guarantee that it will last?

Other Sexual Identities - What about you? Hypothetically, if you were Bisexual and in a Straight/Otherwise relationship, would you tell people that you were bisexual despite that?

If you could have any one wish granted concerning your sexual orientation, gender identity and physical sex, what would it be and why?
I will now magically answer all these questions in one muddled response.

First of all, my wish would be for an all-natural all-female body. That would help me with some of my relationship... issues (as well as being just wonderful in itself). At the moment I'm in a, well, a relationship with someone and my identity is somewhat of an issue because I'm... not a common type of person, I guess. It's not the easiest feeling to be transgendered without having had surgery, and to be somewhat attracted to both genders and intersexed people, but at the same time be somewhat demisexual. I mean, I'm okay with myself, but I'm always worried I come off as too weird to other people and it makes me want to be more "normal." I don't really get the chance to have my sexuality just be there without having to explain. Again, not that I'm ashamed much but I would like to be able to keep it to myself sometimes until I felt ready to talk about it.

Shining Raichu

Years
A big welcome to Alexial!!!

And thank you Scarf for posting news, I had another 9 hour shift today so I was going to do it tomorrow, but you have given me a wondrous reprieve. Even Raichus need their sleep :P

As for Alexial's question, the thing about being bisexual is that you don't NEED to change your sexuality to be with anybody. You can be a bisexual person and date heterosexually or homosexually. It's kind of a gift really lol

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today

To be more biologically androgynous. I'm not fully female, I'm not fully male, so I want a body that finally reflects that. Or at least a more male look, since I lean towards being male and for some reason, I'm more comfortable passing for male than passing as female.

Shining Raichu

Years
That's a fantastic Facebook page, I signed myself up!

I seem to have some spare energy so here are some news articles to chew on while SR gets some rest.

I gotta say, I'm quite saddened by some of what I read in the first article. I mean, Dancing With The Stars isn't at all important in the great scheme of things, but I thought people would be better than this.

And the Prop-8 supporting Mormon church seems to be on the PR offensive.

I was going to post some news today, but then I realised that we never really got around to discussing the news that Scarf was kind enough to post for me the other day :)

The one about Chaz Bono I found incredibly interesting. I don't see why it matters that he was born female - he's not female now, he has had the operations and is officially a male, so why bother kicking up a fuss? What is nice, though, is that his fellow contestants are sticking up for him. I was watching E! News and the host asked Elizabetta.... I don't know how to spell her name, but it's George Clooney's ex-girlfriend, and even in her broken English she managed to tell the bigots to get a life.

Years
Is everyone back in school and not posting here or what?

Oh, there's a good idea for new question (hopefully it's new). How is your school (or the school you used to go to) in terms of LGBTetc. issues? Is it supportive? Are there bullies and other bad eggs? Do you have a GSA on campus? (Those are just sample questions - you don't have to answer them.) Generally, what's it like?

Back