• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Heaven is real"

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
How?

Anyway, about the story he said. I don't really know. I think he did defiantly have a dream about it, of some sort. But if it was real, eh. Possibly not. People have detailed dreams all the time, and sometimes they feel very real, but all it is is just the mind. Personally, I'd say I'm christian ... but it's sort of confusing for me at the time weather I believe in God or not, but I'd at least say I am agnostic. I tend to think that there is just as much chance as there is something out there in which we have a bigger purpose or something more then just this, as there being nothing and we just live a life.

Being Agnostic is actually a perfect religion when you think about it.

Christian - Believes everything involving human sexual interaction or deragitory actions/words is a sin.

Agnostic - Doesn't believe in god unless proven otherwise. (Very very very short summary)

Atheist - Anti-religious ass (that's me! <_>) that makes fun of christians and constantly tries to disprove any theories regarding a God or Jesus Christ.

If you're a christian, you offend people who aren't christian. If you're atheist, you offend people who are christian.
If you're agnostic, you don't take either side and you look at the logical side of things.

Huh. Now that you mention it... I guess I am agnostic. Nevermind! hahaha...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
The only thought that comes to mind is, is that because this is a scientist saying it, people put that much more emphasis on the speculation and legitimacy of it. Whereas, I don't know that it would have been as major if someone who's in any other profession in the world was the one to say it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
What about religions without the god of Abraham, or indeed even god itself? Native spirituality of the Native Americans come to mind. As well as the Shinto religion of the Japanese. Because of that, I refuse the notion of Christianity's heaven and god because it is blasphemy to every other culture in the world.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Wow, this seems to have become a debate over religion.

Anyway, I'm not sure I believe him. This isn't the first time someone has claimed to have seen Heaven, so who knows which people were lying, if any of them were? So there's a chance he's lying about all of this just to get famous.

But I want to throw into the discussion that it was discovered that the Bible is actually the most historically correct book in existence. So I have reason to believe that Heaven itself exists, aside from faith itself. As for that man, who knows?

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Call me gullible, but I believe him.

I'm(possibly) in the minority that thinks he isn't lying, but there's no definite proof out there to say that he's telling the absolute truth, either. In that sense, my response is more or less with droomph's.

Either way, I personally wouldn't be so quick to shoot this down. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I'm not dismissing it in any manner.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Call me gullible, but I believe him.

I'm(possibly) in the minority that thinks he isn't lying, but there's no definite proof out there to say that he's telling the absolute truth, either. In that sense, my response is more or less with droomph's.

Either way, I personally wouldn't be so quick to shoot this down. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I'm not dismissing it in any manner.

I know this is off-topic, but there was this other news story about a man who is going to jump off of a desert mountain somewhere in Nevada on the day of the 2012 "apocalypse", and he claims that Jesus will reappear and save him from the fall.

Now... go ahead and color me a horrible person, but I would LOVE to see this televised.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm not buying it, simple as that. He may be telling the truth but theres not enough evidince to convince me otherwise. There's so many factors that it could be, out of body experience, dream, lucid dream, etc. In an out of body experience, if handled right you can do or believe what you want even though it's not true. Lucid dreams are the same exact way but it's only with the mind. I really find it hard to believe someone actually seen the afterlife, and this brings science into the equation.

Some people go by science as they're answers for religion, and science hasn't found anything to prove heaven, God, or Jesus exists. Christians only believe in God or Jesus through the bible, belief, or maybe the way they were raised. I myself am a christain but I don't follow religion, and I have my doubs about things but It's all my belief that God of Jesus is real. But, he could be telling the truth or he could be lying. I kinda agree with droomph's theory tho.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Don't doubt he had the experience, do doubt he had the experience during the time his cortex was "off," or whatever. I don't get why he assumes is vision didn't occur in the time the functions of his cortex were functioning again. I also don't get why he rejects its uncanny similarity to a DMT experience. Not only is it in the same ball park, it's indistinguishable from just about any DMT report you could randomly select from Erowid. I'm not trying to invalidate the significance of this experience to his spiritual growth, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and the evidence this man is using to back the extraordinary claim that consciousness is independent of the brain, was, at best, lazily constructed and tendentiously presented. Maybe I have to read the book, though.

Now I hate to derail the topic, but brief question to those who hold onto the belief that science and religion contradict each other. While they are very different fields, I've only seen religious literalists make claims that go against verifiable evidence. Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. e: forgot to post the question, great job. Must science be seen as something that can "disprove" religion? Why? What does that even mean? I don't feel like making a separate thread. pm me your thoughts.

Last edited:

Rain Dancer

Wanderer
Years
Link

Any thoughts? A textbook out of body experience, or divine intervention?

I think the experience might have been real, but not his 'christianized' interpretation.. From my personal experience, OBE's and such are natural when consciousness (Soul/spirit) goes for a stroll outside dense body matter.

Maybe the religion part came when he came back from his experience and then the old self kicked in. Interpretation + christianity + book = profit?

Or there's something more to it, some things he might be hiding.

But I haven't read his book so I don't really know what to say other than speculate.

I feel like my views differ from that of all the professional neurosurgeons who posted in this thread. :paranoid:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
He probably came out of the coma in his sleep and had a dream right before he woke up. Clearly not a scientist, as a scientist wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that he'd been to heaven.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
Ehh...I'm not saying that guy didn't experience that experience, since it's completely possible. But I don't really know much about him, soo...

But of course, I do believe Heaven and Hell exist, along with God and Jesus Christ. *Shrugs*. Deal.

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Given that he was in an out of body experience at the time, then yeah, this is probably the most accurate depiction of what he went through. The brain does all sorts of weird things when it thinks its dying.

A lot of "near-death" experiences have been attributed to DMT. It gives people very "real" dreams that they believe actually happened. Many of them are influenced by religion.

Back