• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

March Maaaadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I've actually already finished it a while ago. Great book.

I want to read it again. Have you ever read it?

I have not, but I am going to put it on my "weekend" list.
I already have about 8 gems lined up for the weekend, but what's 1800+ pages between a nice cup of tea & a purple snuggie? :D

Sir Codin

Chuck Palahniuk can be a very...interesting writer.

Here's the first short story of Haunted:

This is a link. That is all.

Kids, don't try these at home!
Spoiler:

Okay, I should probably stop. Kids visit this site, after all...I think.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
I can't believe somebody like *****d me on Facebook. I went logical on his ass, and he got angry. Dumb people are hard to understand.

anyways on topic

Books? I only liked the AP Biology textbook. Everything else is too mundane for me. I don't know why, but unless it's a real fact, I can't read it.

And also, I love Norse mythology and how there were trolls before the Gods, and the Gods are annoying. It's just like Swedish people predicted the Internet wayyyyyyy before everyone else :p

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Ya I have a very hard time reading fiction to be honest... and it's more a problem of starting to read the fiction. I find myself really hard to be motivated to read something cause I don't know if it sounds "good" enough for reading. Unless someone personally recommend something to me... and I can't really get on my computer, I generally don't do much reading anymore =(

what happened on facebook there droomph? =(

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
On the topic of books, can someone explain to me the logic of school/college/university textbooks? I mean, they could be about maths, physics, chemistry or whatever else there is.. and the picture on the front will be a dude surfing. Apparently nothing says "E = mc2" like a guy surfing.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
They need those pictures so they can change the picture out of the selection of public domain pictures in order to pump out a new edition.

Years
Sharks fascinated me when I was in middle school. I decided to study marine biology in college, but since that was pretty narrow for the job market, I've broadened myself to general biology.

Hey Carcharodon (I saw what you did there :P)!

You've done well, broadening yourself to general biology, but let me warn you that the jobs in Biology, nowadays, are based in reasearch grants and stuff like that. Unless you finish your course with astonishing grades, it's very complicated to apply for jobs in this area.

Believe me when I tell you this. I've gratuaded in general Biology and am currently doing a master degree on Food Science, because I couldn't get any job in my area... But if that's what you want, them aim for it!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Facebook arguments are useless. :(

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
If they wanted a new picture they could pick one more relevant to the topic...

Could it be some manner of subliminal messaging?

Similar to certain shaving razor commercials advertising their product alongside fighter jets, heavy-duty trucks & quintessentially attractive individuals?

That is the only reason I am able to see, at least.

Years
Could it be some manner of subliminal messaging?

Similar to certain shaving razor commercials advertising their product alongside fighter jets, heavy-duty trucks & quintessentially attractive individuals?

That is the only reason I am able to see, at least.

That or the fact that no one buys a book that has a cover full of mathematical formulas and stuff. I think it's just marketing.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well if it's a textbook it's required anyway, right?

One of my really old math ones had a picture of a building that I swear was a building in a Kingdom Hearts game.

Years
A textbook is not always required. I had to buy some that weren't required and choose the best looking one. Yeah, they were miserable inside, but I guess that I am the dream of every marketeer: I'm attracted by everything that is good looking, and even if it sucks, I'll say it's the best in the world.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
That or the fact that no one buys a book that has a cover full of mathematical formulas and stuff. I think it's just marketing.
Schools are required to buy them (at least in Australia) so that's irrelevant...
Besides, it's not as if a picture of someone skydiving is going to make you think it's a book about skydivers when the title reads "Mathematic Skills 10"."

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
Schools are required to buy them (at least in Australia) so that's irrelevant...
Besides, it's not as if a picture of someone skydiving is going to make you think it's a book about skydivers when the title reads "Mathematic Skills 10"."

Er... a fair number of young people at the high school I go to would certainly choose a book, solely due to it "looking coolor", cover-wise.

Something that they subtly turn face-up while walking through the halls, for no particular reason other than they think it is "cool".

Beyond high-school though, I am not sure (seeing as I am still there).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
A textbook is not always required. I had to buy some that weren't required and choose the best looking one. Yeah, they were miserable inside, but I guess that I am the dream of every marketeer: I'm attracted by everything that is good looking, and even if it sucks, I'll say it's the best in the world.

Reminds me of when my mom and I went and picked out wine bottles with pretty labels to fill her wine rack, and then she drank one at some point and it was the nastiest thing in the world.

Years
Unless it says "Skydiving formulas" in the subtitle. *lame*

But yeah, maybe there are some subliminal messages that the editors wanna send to us. Like "Math is fun, radical and young. Just like skydiving!"

@Toujours: that happened to me already. I went to buy some wine and choose a fancy bottle that said "Made entirely with blablabla grapes from blablabla vines in the blablabla country. 100% pestice-free and awarded with the gold medal at the blablabla wine tasting". It was wonderful when I drank it, but then, out of nowhere, someone said that the wine was made with leftovers from other wines. So yeah, marketing is wonderful, isn't it?

Last edited:

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
Unless it says "Skydiving formulas" in the subtitle. *lame*

But yeah, maybe there are some subliminal messages that the editors wanna send to us. Like "Math is fun, radical and young. Just like skydiving!"

Odds are you're right about it being marketing, but it's interesting to consider the other possible reasons.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
@Codaq: Well if you like it that's what counts right? I like hotdogs no matter what is in them. >_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back