• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Just Got Vicious! Dragon Island Coming Soon!

Years
monstersipad.png

Title: Dragon Island Blue
Device: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
Development Tool: cocos2d
facebook

Preview Video!!!

"I was blown away when I saw Dragon Island in action. The amount of creatures in the game, coupled with the ability to evolve them and level up your own character has the potential for just a ridiculous amount of customization and strategy." ~ TouchArcade.com

"Almost a cross between Pokemon and Shining Force. If you don't like the sound of that cross over you aren't a human" ~ Kotaku.com

Plot: (not final...not even close..)
The invention of "Monster Capture" marked a new era for human civilization in Dragon Island. Monster Capture is a technology that allows hunters to capture and train monsters. Guarded by armies of trained monsters, hunters could travel deep into Dungeons, collecting treasures and capturing powerful monsters.

40 years later, the story begins in a small town on the southwestern shore of Dragon Island. At age 16, Tata is now ready to pursue his dream of becoming the best monster hunter in Dragon Island. On the day of departure, his grandfather hands him his first monster - a baby Dragon. To become a licensed monster hunter, Tata must travel to Victoria, the capital city of Dragon Island, and pass the national examination. The road to Victoria is long and populated with wild monsters - Tata's first adventure begins.

At Victoria, Tata learns that passing the national examination and becoming a licensed monster hunter is merely a start. Hunter licenses come in ranks. Tata starts his career as a Single Star Hunter, but by gaining experience, collecting more powerful monsters, and passing additional examinations, he can rank-up to Double Star, Triple Star, Silver, Gold, and ultimately become a Platinum Hunter. Tata's real journey begins as he travels all around Dragon Island to capture different monsters and collect rare treasures so that he can become a Platinum Hunter.

Key Features

Ever wanted to build an army of monsters? Dragon Island brings monster collection to a whole new level.

★ Over 200 monsters. Collect. Combine. Evolve!
★ Strategic battles with hundreds of abilities
★ A game world so big it takes 16 screens to see
★ Collect gems, recipes and Soul Stones
★ 11 spirit totems, summon Time, Fate and more
★ A quest system tied to the game's plot
★ 15 dungeons, including the Infinite Dungeon
★ Unique combat system allowing large battles
★ Unlock Breeder Licenses in the Arena
★ Universal app with Game Center support
★ Exclusive and Optimized for IOS, No DPads!
★ Challenges such as the Collection Hut, Capture Quests and Dragon Overlord hunt

Can you defeat the Dragon Overlords? Can you solve the mysteries of Dragon Island?

Screen shots and More!
screen2.png

screen3.png

screen4.png

screen5.png

Credits:
Greyhound Games, ZigZaGame, Maazeran

Last edited:
Years
about "What is Pokemon missing that would be a great addition for our game?", you didn't mention anything about elemental types... that OUGHTS to be in a pokemon game! whithout that, it has nothing to do even if the main theme is "catching monsters" (I mean, really complex elemental type system, not just fire-earth-water-air types as in classic rpg's, but all the 17 pokemon types) i guess it's too obvious though, you must already have that figured out...

btw, GREAT IDEA.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
^ It's probably just inspired by pokemon
they don't need all the pokemon types, using a different typeset would be better; make it more balanced and remove some of the more useless types like ghost, bug, poison, dragon etc.

Thoes sprites are absolutely amazing; looks very neat. I rock the android, but good luck nevertheless.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm also making a pokemon styled game for iPhone using Cocos2D API and I think you have done GREAT work for 6 months of development. Trust me, I know how hard they can be to make from scratch. I hope you find the support on kickstarter that you need!
Good luck ;)

Years
^ It's probably just inspired by pokemon
they don't need all the pokemon types, using a different typeset would be better; make it more balanced and remove some of the more useless types like ghost, bug, poison, dragon etc.

Thoes sprites are absolutely amazing; looks very neat. I rock the android, but good luck nevertheless.
yeah.. agree with that, i've probably gone too far, but i do believe classical 4-elemental typeset is "non-pokemonish".
BTW, if there is a new typeset, i think it'd be great if each style has it's own strategy and specific attacks. I mean, if there's something i relly didn't like from gen V is the fact that EVERY type got attacks with almost EVERY base power... c'mon! in order to make it fun you need poison attacks to act slowly or normal attack (that are not strong against any type) to have the greatest base power or stuff like that. If that doesn't exist, strategy is reduced to type-against-type choices.

Please tell me if i didn't make myself clear, my english can be confusing :(

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2011
yeah.. agree with that, i've probably gone too far, but i do believe classical 4-elemental typeset is "non-pokemonish".
BTW, if there is a new typeset, i think it'd be great if each style has it's own strategy and specific attacks. I mean, if there's something i relly didn't like from gen V is the fact that EVERY type got attacks with almost EVERY base power... c'mon! in order to make it fun you need poison attacks to act slowly or normal attack (that are not strong against any type) to have the greatest base power or stuff like that. If that doesn't exist, strategy is reduced to type-against-type choices.

Please tell me if i didn't make myself clear, my english can be confusing :(

Hi. I am Tom from Greyhound Games(the guy in the kickstarter movie). I am the developer for this game. I wanted to answer a few posts.

First for the above. The game is only inspired by Pokemon style games. An example of one of the many ways we stand apart is our combat system. Our battles are not 1v1 but instead we have much bigger battles. You normally have 3 monsters in play at any given time and you can bring a 4th in using a spirit totem mentioned in the original post.

To answer your question about elements, the elements perform a roll like in some tactical rpgs I have played. Each monster has an element which determines which monsters he is stronger against and which he is weaker against. These elements are:
Earth,Air,Fire,Water,Arcane,Life,Death.

Some of these form your typical rock paper scissors, but others have distinct roles. For example death monsters will perform better against almost all monsters except are totally destroyed by life monsters, while life monsters are weak against almost anything, except they totally destroy death monsters. So we have created roles for each of the elements.

Please don't expect this game to be a pokemon clone or you will prob not be happy with the output :) The primary similarity is that you collect monsters.

To the other dev who is making a monster collection game. Good luck. thanks for your kind words!

Finally to help to get you guys excited. If you watched the movie, you prob saw my comment about a make your own game app. Everything in the game is customized using text files. If the game does well I would love to make it so that you can design your own maps\dungeons\monsters\skills and publish your own "modules" or campaigns etc for the game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
In spite of the fact that it looks like an RPG maker game, I have to say it does seem impressive. Too bad I don't have an iphone.

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
The art for your monsters is very impressive (though it does remind me of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game a little).
I see several of your monsters are simple recolours of other ones; although this is a commonly used technique, I think it's a bit lazy. It would look more interesting if you slightly edited them as well. For example:
Noise_15.PNG
Noise_16.PNG

donquixote123456

Hacker on the go
Years
Seems pretty impressive... Love to see an Android port if that's possible...... And Wonderful concept ..... Though if I might suggest .... you could add just one more element... TIME.

Just a suggestion as the 4 elemental magics are water ,fire, earth and air and..... one anyone rarely aknowledges..... and thats
Spoiler:

Years
Wow the monsters look great! As yet another developer I know that is a challenge! :P

Awesome that it is available for iOS. Great work!

Back