• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Gen I and Gen II Cries?

Should the GB cries from Generations I and II be replaced in X and Y?

• Yes; they'll sound really out of place in a new generation.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Yes; some of those cries were identical, anyway.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • No; the old cries are way too memorable to get rid of.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No; I don't think the GB cries could ever be improved upon.

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
With each new generation of Pokemon, the cries for each new generation have become more complex and higher in fidelity. So, with the stronger sound quality in 3DS games, it should come as no surprise if the new Pokemon's cries sound even better than the past generations'. However, the Pokemon from Generations I and II have kept their GB-quality cries ever since the series began.

These Pokemon did get better-sounding cries in the two Stadium games, but they've never been used outside those games. What do you guys think? Should Game Freak swap the GB sounds for the Stadium cries (or maybe even better ones), or should they keep them?

I, for one, think it's about time they retired the old GB cries. As cool as they were, they're starting to clash with the past few generations; even Generation III's cries still sound decent to this day. I think the older Pokemon ought to sound less out of place amongst all the other generations. I don't even think it would even be that much work; all the new cries have already been done for them. They'd just need to switch each Pokemon's GB cry with the ones from the Stadium games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think they can stay. It would be weird to hear them sound another way and if they've made it this long, I don't see why they'd change them now.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Updated cries would be nice. They don't have to change much, just... make them sound less Gameboy-ish. I'd be fine with generic roars, they don't have to say their own names, but... just a little more than "beepbeepbeep" in various pitches. The first 150 Pokémon haven't changed cries since 1996, and it really shows.

Guy

just a guy
Years
It would be strange at first, I mean these are cries we've been familiar with for years now, but I think we'd eventually get used to it. So I wouldn't be totally against the idea of it happening. It would be nice after all if some of the Pokémon who share cries now from those generations can acquire their own cries in X and Y with updated sound quality.

D Dog master of war

In the heart of battle!
Years
all the crys from gen 1-4 needs up too date crys like B/W Technology crys....because in Pokémon Saditm 1 and 2 the Pokemon crys where amazing,and they sound better then B/W 5th gen Pokés....PLEASE GAMEFREAK UPDATE CRYS

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think the QUALITY of the cries could definitely be updated, but I wouldn't want new cries all together. if it's the sound the Pokémon has been making since 1996, there's no sense in changing the entire thing. If it's all the same pitches and everything, but not simple Gameboy sound effects that would be nice.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think they should be changed, it's weird when Caterpie and Goldeen sound the same... Or Charizard and Rhyhorn. If they updated the art, why can't they update the sounds?

Years
I don't want the classic Pokemon cries replaced, I'd rather want them updated with the new improved sound technology.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think the GB Pokemon cries could be updated and improved, but still retain the same cry feel as before (like in Pokemon Stadium).

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I, for one, don't want them to be updated at all in any shape or form.
I think that if all games after Stadium have the original cries, neither does Game Freak.

Years
I would be very annoyed if they changed the cries of the older Pokemon in X/Y. There is no real reason to change them and they would only be ruining the memory for the older players/lovers of the I/II generations.

They should be left as they are. :)​

Years
Interesting thread topic! I was thinking this the other day while playing HeartGold. In HGSS, for the first half of the game you only meet Gen I + II Pokemon, as well as some Gen II evolutions that were only introduced in Gen IV. What's funny is, the cries of all the Gen I and II Pokemon are strictly 8 bit noises, whereas all the other Pokemon's cries are significantly.. not.

With Gen VI on the 3DS, I have no doubt that the sound quality of the new Pokemon's cries will be immensely better. And if I'm honest, I wouldn't really mind if they updated the older cries, so long as they kept the general sound they have now. Looking at Pokémon Stadium (while that's going back dammmmmmmn far), they had more realistic renditions of the Pokemon cries. If they did something like that, but kept them a bit more similar to the actual Pokemon cries heard in the main games until now, then I'd be pleased!

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
You know what I think? I think GameFreak should give you the option at the start of the game, whether you want the new cries for the older pokemon, or are just happy with the good ol' cries from your childhood. I would honestly like newer cries for the older pokemon, I really don't like the cries from gen 1 and 2. Some of them were alright I suppose, but the majority were just plain annoying, especially Electabuzz's cry - the most annoying of them all.

I think GF should give you the choice of older/newer cries because I don't like the older cries, but at the same time I feel that other people should have the right to have the original cries and re-live their nostalgia. Plus, giving players that option will create a lot less complaining from those gen 1'ers that want the old cries back.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I'd say its a bit too late to change the cries itself but since X/Y will be in 3DS the quality definitely should be changed.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I think they should change the cries. When I got Pokemon White (Which was my first game) I didn't expect the old Pokemon's cries to sound so fuzzy compared to the new ones. I hope that they change this and make them sound more realistic than before.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Updated cries only so they don't repeat is all that's really necessary but even still that's a good thing! So I don't really mind if they choose to update them - hopefully they do :3

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I say keep them. Changing the cries will only be extra, unneeded work that really won't affect gameplay or anything at all. And the cries identify which Generation these Pokemon come from. Each Generation sounds different from the others, even if it's just slightly. And even though they did give them updated cries for Stadium and Stadium 2, those were not reused for Colosseum, Gale of Darkness, or Battle Revolution.

I just don't see a need for it, and seeing as how the 3D Pokedex Pro didn't update the cries (even if it's still for Gen 5) I don't expect them to give them new cries if they haven't already.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
As long as Goldeen and Caterpie don't have then same cry again, I am all for it.

Years
Personally, I do not mind either way, I do not find the old cries that bad, as they only last a second or two anyways, but I do think it would give the game a little bit more, oomph, as it would have updated sounds "surprising" us with something already familiar, but also new.

Back