• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Completed] Pokemon Reborn [Episode 19-- Final Release]

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
gyubdsnk HI! Clearly I need to check this topic more often, I am SO sorry guys.
I actually released episode 5 at the start of November and tooottally spaced updating this topic, BUT that has now been fixed! The first post has download links to Episode 5, and I just patched the download, too. If you're encountering these errors, I suggest giving the new download a try:

--Fixed the crash in Shelly's gym
--Fixed the crash exiting the secret pool
--Fixed the Gang Leader battles

Now! Let me get around to the rest of your responses~ <3

How long is the current demo, in hours of playtime?
Thank you ^^ and, it says in the first post that this episode is probably about 11 hours, but of course, your mileage may vary depending on how you play.
The 11 hour estimate is actually somewhat conservative. I have about 20 hours on my test file, and I know one of my players who has about 30 logged on his file, but there are also other people who speed through the game and don't really do the sidequests, etc. So it's mostly just based on you, naturally. c:

Spoiler:

Good luck! I'd play the current version already if I wasn't lazy just had more time to spend on doing such things.
Planning and literally years of history. c: I know that feel though. I hope you find the motivation time at some point though!

I downloaded the game and tried it out. It's a really great game, though I don't understand how to catch pokemon like teddiursa. I can't wait for the next episode!
Teddiursa is actually a roaming Pokemon, but at the time that Episodes 4/5 were released, the roaming system on the scripts I'm using was actually broken, so I disabled it temporarily.
For the next episode, the roaming syste has been fixed, and you'll be able to find that Teddi~

I like the game although there's this guy with a quiz and I don't know how I'll ever answer the questions...is there a forum where people talk about these things?

Where can I find out about.....how many lines continually used in the league.....or something like that? :S

Honestly, that quiz was intended to be sort of a gate for people in our community who know the real leaders personally. I wanted to include a bonus for them only. Buuuuut, I see that people are going to break through it anyway. >3>
So lemme help you out
Reborn was started in 2007
There have been 8 lines (this refers to the league on our competitive server)
32 leaders in total,
28 badges
Bon chance~

I found a bug with the 'Mysterious Factory'. When I team up with Fern and start exploring the Left Wing, the first two Team Meteor goons that are to be battled make the game crash.
afghhwefsdigbrfdk this happens to random people and I don't know why, and even more frustrating, in their experience, it tends to go away randomly.
My suggestion: Download this new patch. See if that happens to fix it. If not, leave the factory and re-enter (this resets Fern being with you). Try saving outside and entering. If these things don't work, I'd like to get your save file from you, and maybe I can figure out a bit more about what causes it, and what can be done.

Please let me know how this turns out for you!

Albeit I've yet to try it, this is definitely one of them. Keep it up!
Thank you! But concept art? Pshaw, that's their in-game art. c:

Will all pokemon be found in the wild?

So if you accidentely knock out a "special" pokemon will I ever be able to catch it?

I accidentely knocked out the Porygon in the school because it was so weak.
This is something I'm wrestling with. I'm torn between wanting to have everything always available, and wanting event Pokemon to be special.
I feel like the events are less meaningful if you know you can just go catch a wild one somewhere else. That's my hesitation.
In the specific case of Porygon... I do not currently have plans for it to be anywhere else but there. I could probably be persuaded to change that. XD

how can i open the door to the second gym leader
Lucario505 hit the nail on the...
So there's an expression there and I totally just forgot it. Whatevs. Lucario505 was totally right. There should be an NPC by the door who mentions that, too. But yep, gotta be smart with those questions. The books around the school hold all the answers, too~

I downloaded the next episode, but the battle with the aqua team leader isn't working, it's giving me a script error and closing the game. help please

Yeaaaah, it like deleted those battles when I first zipped this up, idk. It made me sad. But! This is patched as of today, so give the new file a download. c:

This games been awesome so far, but... I'm stuck now. I've made it all the way towards the end of this beta, I'm in Shelly's gym stuck battling on of the trainers with the Masquerain... The game gets an automatic error as soon as you start the battle and now I can't really move out of the battle. So any ideas? I might just wait for the next beta. I really enjoyed the story up to this point. Keep up the great work!! :D

This seems to happen to some people, again, randomly, and it's somewhat frustrating for me. XD As far as I can tell, this happens when the strength of your computer kinda gives out. If you can't turn up the performance settings on your compy- are you using animated sprites? If so, I suggest reverting to static, because that'll be a lighter processing power. I've had people fix these errors that way before.
Download the newer version and don't install the animated sprites. If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

Aaaand now that last whopper of a post~:

Good points, yadda yadda~
Thank you~ I'm glad you are enjoying parts of it at least!
I have bits and pieces but can't put the whole picture together yet (whereas in official pokemon games, everything is usually more-or-less clear).
Yeah, it's a looong game, so I'm trying to take it slow. My approach to narratives is much different than the main series, and I'm trying to blend them. Let me ask this: Although you don't have a clear idea of the bigger picture yet, are you still interested in finding more?
-Dream world abilities have been present where they're awesome (eg. Contrary Snivy, Technician Meowth) but I've been able to find pokemon without them where I want to (eg. Ekans)
This is purely up to your luck, I'm afraid. Dream world abilities appear as randomly as their normal ones. They haven't been flat-out replaced.
-This game was obviously made by someone with at least some competetive battling experience, judging from the books in the trainer's school, and the gym leaders' rosters. The gym leaders are challenging not (just) because they are higher-leveled than you, but also because of the variety of types and their movesets.
Reborn is first and foremost a competitive battling community, so ding-ding-ding~
-While some sprites are very clearly edited, and some look a little hacked together, for the most part the graphics look fine and don't detract from the experience.
If you're referring to the leader sprites, then I'd be a little concerned. The player sprites are actually made from Reborn's sprite customization system. The NPC sprites are a work-in-progress. Every episode or so I add one or two more custom ones. Some of them, like the Hotshot sprites, are just temporary recolours.
This will get better with time!
-I felt that the park sequence was very well done, seeing the other characters tied up by vines as I walked by was pretty eerie. Also, the machine with the tangrowth as a plot point is not something I've ever seen in a pokemon game, but it still felt like it fit in with the world while still being different.
I'm glad that worked for you! I was a little bit concerned about that fitting in, but I'm trying to make this game kind of feel like the anime- of course, a bit darker, still- but in the sense that there are those quirky little stories. There are more like this to come though, so keep an eye out. c:
Now for the bad:
-The first and second gym leaders have six pokemon? The first one wasn't bad because I swept through about half of them with my Spinda, but I was honestly quite surprised, and a little jarred. A warning might be nice.
I see your note about this later, but... Yeah, this is kinda the point of the game. I'll try to make that more clear in-game though. ^^;
-I found a teddiursa, but I couldn't figure out where it ran off to. If you expect your players to ever find it, you might want to give them a hint, or have it hide nearby. Unless it's important to the story later or something.
As mentioned above, this is one of the broken roaming Pokemon. Normally, it will appear in the wild randomly.
-This game is pretty difficult, which is fine. The problem is that you don't balance it so that the players can deal with that difficulty. I am stuck at the second gym and here are the problems I'm having:
I will actually be re-balancing the game as a whole in a future update, somewhat soon, but yeah, it is intended to be more difficult than most.
-The shops don't sell you more items as you get more badges, like in the real games. The gym leaders use several Super Potions, which I don't even have the opportunity to buy. This is not much of a problem in the first gym, since super potions are almost more than you need at that point, but going against the second gym without them is ridiculous. As a player, I feel cheated that the computer players have more tools at their disposal than I will have the opportunity to have.
You make a strong point here. I was actually not even aware that the main-series games shops change over time. Is that a somewhat new feature? I'll admit I haven't played all that much since Pearl. In any case, the department store system was supposed to simulate this with progress through the game.
As for feeling cheated, I see what you mean. I will probably change Florinia's item distribution in response.
-I have beaten all of the available trainers, but my pokemon still aren't strong enough to beat the gym. I don't have access to any useful TM's, and have no idea how to get Heart Scales, so I can't adjust my pokemon's movesets to better fit the problem. This leaves me with two options, 1. Train up a fire or fighting type pokemon to try to help. I don't like this option because it feels like I'm being bullied into using certain pokemon, but it's what I'll probably do. 2. Grind my existing team up a few levels in hopes that I'll stand a better chance. Having the only options be "grinding, or more grinding" are already annoying, and a sign of bad game design. Also, since I've beaten all of the trainers, and there is no rebattling (not your fault, I suppose), I would be forced to grind on pokemon around level 14, over 10 levels lower than my current team. It honestly takes more time than it is probably worth (especially since every place with wild pokemon is pretty far from the pokemon centers).
So, basically, a summary of the problem is this:
1. You can make your team out of any of X pokemon available (pretty standard)
2. Unless you build your team X way, using the tools you don't have (or using the pokemon that the gym guy tells you to use) you can't beat the gym leaders and advance in the game.
In other words, you're telling the players, "Every choice works, except some choices are wrong." That's pretty bad.
There is actually a hidden area with wild Pokemon approaching level 20 that you'll be able to find only after beating Fern. You should take a look around and see if you can find it to help. ;D
That said, I realise this area is somewhat problematic- it'll be one of the target sections for my overall re-balance.
I absolutely agree that grinding should never be necessary, and in fact, you'll notice with my level-limit, it's something I discourage. I want people to stop and think of new strategies to beat each leader- not just power through on type effectiveness and levels like the main-series.
That said, Florinia has been troublesome to balance. On one hand I'm trying to make a battle challenging for players who started with fire types. Particularly the fire/fighting ones. Unfortunately, there's really -nothing- that the grass type as a whole can do against that combo, even on a competitive level, so I've tried to balance it out in other ways. Of course, this results in it being too strong for players who don't have those Pokemon, and therefore blehhh.
Florinia will be changed more- that's for sure. But for you right now, I know that doesn't really helpy.
As a player and not a developer, I would like to advise you based on what you are using. I totally agree with you about not just using other things as well. In fact the whole point of our online league is about finding new ways to use the things you have. I think that's exactly what you should do in-game too. Look at what's shutting you down, and what tools you have in your current Pokemon to counter those strategies. Play differently; step out of your comfort zone. There is always a solution. c:
I'd actually be really interested in knowing your current in-game team. Both as a player to help suggest you ways to beat her, and as a developer to know what sort of team struggles with her.

The solution is simple: give your players more options. I don't see why Super Potions aren't available, or why the Silph Dept. Store requires "stickers" to get to higher levels. It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't make much sense in a worldbuilding sense; wouldn't Silph want all people to have access to their products, so they can get more money? If you are worried that the items in the Dept. Store would make the game too easy, just make them a little expensive, so that if the player REALLY wants to put Fire Blast on their Quilava early in the game, they can still do so, they just won't have much money left to buy anything else. That's just my suggestion, anyway.
I see your point about the economic factor. However, i feel that money in Pokemon games just comes way too easily, and even making it absurdly expensive, teams could very quickly get overpowered. The sticker system is meant also to encourage side-quest exploration through out the game. Jacking the price of everything up would make for a rather frustrating late-game, actually, when people are farming specific items to complete their pokedex, etc.
I want to make an excuse here like, Silph values loyalty to their customers over their own profit, but at the same time I know no international corporation would actually be like that. I feel like the gameplay motivation provided by this system is worth that sacrifice though.
As for super potions, I had what I felt was a very good reason for disincluding them at that time. I currently cannot think what that might possibly have been (naturally >.>). Consequently, they may be added in somewhere.
-While we're on items, Sitrus berries are annoyingly expensive. I suppose it fits the flavor of the world, since they are probably imported, but when they are the only alternative to potions, and are not equal to super potions in power for quite a while, the price seems a bit excessive. It's a little bit of a conflict between flavor and balance here.
Actually, it's exactly for balance that they're so expensive. As you seem to know, Sitrus Berries are constantly useful throughout the game, and I don't want players to have easy, spammable access to them. At least, not until they have the higher-income of the late game. I want their purchase to selective in the long run.
*checks price*
...Actually, those are kinda cheaper than I would expect for the late-game.
-I don't know how I feel about the characters. Many of them very clearly feel like characters instead of people. Julia and "Flobot" in particular have quirks that are a little too over-the-top for them to seem real at all, (though maybe I think this because they annoy me). This contrasts a lot with the inconsequential NPC's littering the city, who for the most part are pretty believable. Like I said earlier, you still gave it a better shot than most pokemon games do.
In this case, the leaders are remaining historically accurate to their actual characters in the online league. We're dealing with a portrayal of real people here, actually, and although some of them, like Julia and Shade are very clearly playing a part even IRL, it wouldn't make sense to have their in-game characters be different from how they are face-to-face.
-Some of the mapping could use a little work. While the overworld city is fine, the factory feels like a series of hallways to get the player to fight the meteor grunts, so they can go find the door, then more hallways so they can find the bombs, so they can get into the final important-looking room and advance the story. It feels very contrived, and doesn't feel like you're in a factory at all. The slums is a bit better, but still suffers from the same problem. Even if your players only visit a place once, if you care about every place you make, your game will have real quality.
Guilty, particularly with the factory. In light of this, I may just redo the factory entirely.
-I was ok with the level 17 electrode, but a level 27 Cradily? I know for a fact that it doesn't evolve until level 40. Yes, Ghestis has a Hydreigon that is about 12 levels too low to exist, but there is only one, and *everyone* complains about it. It's not that big of a deal, but it could put people off (especially with the whole gym leaders having more tools thing). (Also, by the time in the game that you fought Ghestis, you effectively had as many full restores and max revies as you wanted.)
This is something the main series games have always done, and with some guilt that I replicated. Aside from the options issue though, I'm unclear as to why the Electrode is acceptable and Cradily is not. The Electrode, level 16, is 14 levels away from its natural evolution. Cradily is 13 levels away.
-While the Pokemon Gang was completely unexpected, and I thought it was a really cool idea, I was pretty disappointed that I didn't have any opportunity to catch Scraggy or Scrafty afterwards. It was probably mostly because of the big lead-up to the battle, where I had been certain that I was going to be able to catch it once I chased it down. Oh well. I think the idea of the Pokemon Gang attacking you one at a time is unrealistic, though. It may have worked better as a double or (if you have the capability for it) triple battle. (EDIT: After going back I did find and catch one, although I have no idea how I was supposed to know to look there because there were no hints or anything that Scraggy would be there.)
Unfortunately the script system does not support triple battles, and probably never will. Otherwise I would TOTALLY do that.
But double?
I feel stupid for not even thinking of that. Expect to see that change in the future.
As for finding Scraggy- Well, you weren't supposed to look there. That's exactly the point. :D It is a little disappointing to the people who were hoping to catch one immediately, but for the people who go back to the slums later looking for one... Anyway, I'm deliberately making OU Pokemon harder to get/find.
-The game corner prizes are... pretty lackluster. Chingling is pretty weak, and I doubt many people would be willing to work that hard to get their hands on one unless they are trying to complete the pokedex. Shinx, while popular, is not game-breakingly strong, and doesn't become remotely useful until it evolves (and therefore is also probably not worth the effort). I don't even remember what the second choice was. It may be a good idea to change which pokemon are game corner prizes; usually, strong, rare, or hard-to-catch pokemon are game corner prizes (eg. Dratini, Abra, Porygon... this is why I was so happy when I found Porygon in the wild). If the players are gonna work that hard for something, it better darn well be good. Also, it would be nice if there were some good items or TM's for prizes, in case the pokemon aren't motivation enough for the player to play in the game corner.
I definitely agree here. I thought Shinx would be more popular itself, too, but this is definitely something I'll be tweaking, too.
As for the TMs, that is already planned. You might notice the blank spot in the counter- That's where it'll go. It only doesn't exist right now because I need to be sure of exactly which TMs I want to be given out there first, vs in context to the rest of the game's sidequests, etc.
-There's a really large volume difference in the music... If I turn up the volume to hear the Pokemon Center music, then go outside, I have to turn the volume down. If I get into a battle, I have to turn it way down to prevent damage to my eardrums...
True. I'll be sure to turn that up.
(Here's where I transition more to tips or something)
-Do all of the starters get their dream world abilities? While this is pretty cool, it could definitely cause some balance issues... the game may be significantly harder for someone who picked Chlorophyll Bulbasaur than someone who picked Speed Boost Blaziken. Just something to keep in mind.
Kinda touched on this earlier, but yeah, pretty much. There's a chance for each starter to be dream world. It is just up to luck, but then, someone could just keep resetting. Fire types as a whole are a bit OP in the early game here- that's one thing I'll be fixing with my balance tweaks. As far as I have seen so far, though, even SB Blaziken has not been shown to be any more OP than the other Fire/Fightings.
For now at least...
-I think it might make the game more believable if Amethyst's exact job, position, rank, or whatever is made known. Her saying, "I'm not a professor, but I do important stuff like one!" made me think your entire game was a complete joke at first. Is she the mayor? Police chief? Author self-insert? The fact that everyone reports things to her when she doesn't seem to have a job other than signing people up for the Pokemon League comes off as a bit strange. Also, what the heck determines rank in this region? When characters say, "so-and-so is one of the highest ranking members in the region!" I have no idea what they mean, because what ranks even do isn't really clear. Are there ranks for citizens? (eg. street rats and criminals are one rank, normal citizens another rank, trusted citizens another rank, similar to the world in The Curfew). Or do they mean ranks in the government? If so, what kind of government is it? Corrupt or benevolent? Democracy or dictatorship? How exactly does one "gain ranks" in the government, by becoming a gym leader? And what benefits do you get from being high-ranking (other than the police letting you into closed areas I suppose)? You don't have to give the players all of this information as exposition, but you should figure it out, and then make it apparent through what the players experience in their gameplay. Doing this will make your world feel real.
Well said. I'll change the intro- not sure quite yet what to say. I'm the owner of the Reborn website/server and I manage the community and league, but I couldn't find a good title for that. That was just me being silly though Q~Q I suppose it's tone-inappropriate.
As for rank, it's gym leader rank. i.e there's 1-17. I can make that more clear somewhere though.
-This is more of a question... does Contrary actually work? It's probably a problem with the engine you are using, but I can't tell if Contrary works because when pokemon use growl, tail whip etc on my Snivy, it still says the same text. I'm not sure how much you can do to fix it, but I still can't tell if my ability is working, or if I should've chosen a different starter.
Contrary is actually not in the scripts yet, correct. The engine developer is still working on adding all of the 4th/5th gen moves/items/abilities, so it should hopefully be functional soon.

Afterthought- "I definitely like it a lot more than I thought I would?" Was there something that made you think you would dislike it?

I definitely appreciate your feedback- well, everyone's!
Thanks for playing, and responding, and and and and, I'll be sure to check this topic more often, 'kay~?

YourFavorite

One who can't think of a title
Years
Although you don't have a clear idea of the bigger picture yet, are you still interested in finding more?

Yep! Mostly because I have no idea what Team Meteor's goal is. I suspect that the twist at the end is that they are secretly good guys... but don't tell me!

This is purely up to your luck, I'm afraid. Dream world abilities appear as randomly as their normal ones. They haven't been flat-out replaced.

I actually realized that when I told my boyfriend to give it a try, and he had to keep resetting to get a speed boost torchic... Also I realized that technician is not actually meowth's dream world ability. ^^;

As for sprites, I was mostly referring to Cain's trainer sprite, and ZEL's face-shot (which looks a little too manly). But also many are clearly recolors, but you mentioned that those will be replaced, so

You make a strong point here. I was actually not even aware that the main-series games shops change over time. Is that a somewhat new feature?

It's been around since at least Ruby/Sapphire version, for some reason all pokemarts update stock and let you buy better items if you have more badges (which is somewhat like the sticker system except doesn't require sidequests, and doesn't make you walk back to the same spot every time). In Ruby in particular, after the first gym super potions become available.

There is actually a hidden area with wild Pokemon approaching level 20 that you'll be able to find only after beating Fern. You should take a look around and see if you can find it to help. ;D
What?! A secret area that I missed? >.>;
Was it the place with the zigzagoon?

I'd actually be really interested in knowing your current in-game team. Both as a player to help suggest you ways to beat her, and as a developer to know what sort of team struggles with her.

So, when I first went to fight Florinia my team was Servine (contrary), Spinda, Meowth (technician), Arbok (Intimidate), Noctowl, and a level 3 Pachirisu (for pickup). I believe most of them were around level 25 or 26. I had a few big problems. Firstly, Servine was pretty much useless against all of them, since leech seed wouldn't work and Tackle is really weak. Noctowl was also incredibly lackluster... It had hypnosis, but even with Peck it didn't do very much damage. A big problem with my team was that I had absolutely nothing to counter steel or rock types. Usually what I'd do if anything gave me too much trouble was send in Spinda and have it use Uproar until the enemy goes down (or, worse-case-scenario, is very weakened). It's a hilariously terrible strategy, but my line of thinking was, "It's a pokemon game, and I'm gonna play it however the heck I want!" (plus, it actually worked). Essentially, Arbok, Meowth, and Noctowl would work together to get her first few pokemon down, then Ferroseed would come out and I'd send in Spinda. However, Spinda and my other pokemon would be pretty weakened by that point. Then Cradily would come out next, and would basically one-shot all of my pokemon with Smack Down, even with Reflect support from Noctowl and Glare from Arbok. If it didn't take it out in one-shot, it would do way more damage than a potion could heal, so there was pretty much nothing for me to do at that point but watch it sweep through my team.

I did end up beating Florinia, by dropping noctowl and getting Vulpix and Scraggy. I then grinded them up to where the rest of my team was, which was boring, but got the job done. I think I paralyzed Cradily, then had Scraggy use Sand Attack (another hilariously terrible strategy, but all I had that would work) until its accuracy was all the way down, then had Arbok and Meowth use screech until Brick Break could actually put a dent in it. I also bought six Sitrus berries and equipped each of them with one, (which ended up costing most of my money), Servine's was the only one left at the end because I pretty much didn't use it.

If the move tutor was available, I totally would've put Ice Fang and Fire Fang on Arbok and tried to muscle through it that way, but who knows if it actually would've worked.

I see your point about the economic factor. However, i feel that money in Pokemon games just comes way too easily, and even making it absurdly expensive, teams could very quickly get overpowered. The sticker system is meant also to encourage side-quest exploration through out the game. Jacking the price of everything up would make for a rather frustrating late-game, actually, when people are farming specific items to complete their pokedex, etc.
I want to make an excuse here like, Silph values loyalty to their customers over their own profit, but at the same time I know no international corporation would actually be like that. I feel like the gameplay motivation provided by this system is worth that sacrifice though.
As for super potions, I had what I felt was a very good reason for disincluding them at that time. I currently cannot think what that might possibly have been (naturally >.>). Consequently, they may be added in somewhere.
Hmm, I see your point. It is good motivation for sidequests, but it's somewhat annoying to have to walk all the way back to the department store when you get a new sticker. I also noticed that I could get to the second floor from the beginning, but when I got the first sticker no new floors were unlocked. Is that supposed to happen?

Actually, it's exactly for balance that they're so expensive. As you seem to know, Sitrus Berries are constantly useful throughout the game, and I don't want players to have easy, spammable access to them. At least, not until they have the higher-income of the late game. I want their purchase to selective in the long run.
*checks price*
...Actually, those are kinda cheaper than I would expect for the late-game.

Sitrus berries are... somewhat useful, but really only once per pokemon per battle. Honestly, ingame players are probably more likely to spam super potions, drinks, or hyper potions, depending on what part of the game they're at. I'm just saying that they're pretty expensive for being what is, at the time, a slightly better alternative to potions.

This is something the main series games have always done, and with some guilt that I replicated. Aside from the options issue though, I'm unclear as to why the Electrode is acceptable and Cradily is not. The Electrode, level 16, is 14 levels away from its natural evolution. Cradily is 13 levels away.

I think the main issue was that Electrode wasn't as difficult as Cradily. Looking purely at base stats, all Electrode really has going for it is crazy, crazy speed. Its other stats are pretty lackluster, possibly a little better than the pokemon you'd have access to at the time. Cradily on the other hand, while slow, has pretty great bulk and offense. I also thought it was a bit silly to find multiple pokemon that were evolved too early (by several levels) when there is usually only one such pokemon in the game... but I suppose if you rebalance this area it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As for finding Scraggy- Well, you weren't supposed to look there. That's exactly the point. :D It is a little disappointing to the people who were hoping to catch one immediately, but for the people who go back to the slums later looking for one... Anyway, I'm deliberately making OU Pokemon harder to get/find.

I mostly expected it because up to that point, every pokemon you find and chase on the overworld you get to battle and catch when you find it. Especially since that encounter has such a large build-up to it. But this brings up the question, what's the point of putting something in the game if your players aren't "supposed" to find it?
(Also, Scrafty is UU according to Smogon)

As for the TMs, that is already planned. You might notice the blank spot in the counter- That's where it'll go. It only doesn't exist right now because I need to be sure of exactly which TMs I want to be given out there first, vs in context to the rest of the game's sidequests, etc.
How about Rapid Spin, for those unfortunate enough to decide not to train a poison type (or if more gym leaders use hazards later...)?
It might also be nice to get heart scales through the Game Corner, so that there are as many as you need, but you have to work for them... unless you have some other plan for them?

Fire types as a whole are a bit OP in the early game here- that's one thing I'll be fixing with my balance tweaks. As far as I have seen so far, though, even SB Blaziken has not been shown to be any more OP than the other Fire/Fightings.

While fire types are *really* useful up through the first three gyms, they're pretty nerfed considering it rains so often ingame. As for how broken speed boost torchic is, my boyfriend has one and also says that it doesn't seem too broken yet. I guess I'll let you know if that changes.

Well said. I'll change the intro- not sure quite yet what to say. I'm the owner of the Reborn website/server and I manage the community and league, but I couldn't find a good title for that. That was just me being silly though Q~Q I suppose it's tone-inappropriate.

How about League Manager? Since it seems like the league helps the government out, the person who manages the league would also be well in-touch with whatever Reborn's government is. Unless the whole region is run by the League, in which case the League Manager would pretty much be the acting leader.

As for rank, it's gym leader rank. i.e there's 1-17. I can make that more clear somewhere though.
So it's just how strong of a gym leader they are? Ok...

Contrary is actually not in the scripts yet, correct. The engine developer is still working on adding all of the 4th/5th gen moves/items/abilities, so it should hopefully be functional soon.

Darn. So I'd assume Moxie isn't working yet either?

Afterthought- "I definitely like it a lot more than I thought I would?" Was there something that made you think you would dislike it?

It's just most pokemon fangames are not very good (or at least, I'm biased to think that after playing Raptor). The name seemed like someone just took a cool word to use as a name, (of course I didn't know about the actual Reborn League at the time), the opening cutscene with Amethyst and Julia made me very skeptical, the walk to the Grand Hall was very long (and for some reason even though my computer is brand new and has tons of RAM, the rain made the whole thing lag until I had quite a few hours of playtime), just little things. Once I found out that pokemon could get their dream world abilities I was a bit more excited, and then after that the longer I played it the more I liked it.

So, now that I've gotten a bit farther, I have a few more things to add...
-My boyfriend thinks there should be evolution music.
-A friend of mine really likes Zangoose, will Zangoose be obtainable ingame?
-The same friend also got stuck in some stairs about a half hour into the game. Even when he restarts he's still stuck in the stairs.
-You use a very dark color pallette, which is fine... but when it gets darker (I'm not sure if it's from nighttime or from thunderstorms) I can't see ANYTHING. I made my way through half of the Malchous forest half-blind, until I saved, quit, came back later and the weather happened to be sunny. I didn't even know there were parts of the forest that weren't tall-grass, and when I was helping the boy get home, I walked past twice and didn't see the pokemon gang... I only found him because I decided to go down that alleyway for the heck of it.
-Speaking of that sidequest, there is no drifloon to fight.
-It would be cool if I could (also) join the Magma Gang instead of the Aqua Gang (mostly so it's easier for my Servine, but also Magma is just better).
-I have version four (but I will update soon) and I'm stuck. Victoria said she was going to the stairs, but I can't find her... so I did the Aqua Gang sidequest, went back and she still isn't there. The only way under the stairs that I can see is the Magma Gang hideout, and they wouldn't let me in before or after joining the Aqua Gang... is there something I'm missing, or is this part of the game broken?
-Is there a way for evolutions involving trading (eg. Kadabra, Porygon) to happen? Neither is that useful without trading. (also, speaking of trading, will it be possible to trade with other players?)
-How do I update without getting rid of my save? Do I have to find the save file and put it somewhere else, or can I just extract the update in the same folder?
-I just started up the game again, and for some reason whenever I'm in any sort of menu, the game thinks I'm pressing the up key, but when I'm walking around it doesn't.... how do I fix this? x.x;

That's all I've got for now, I'm glad I could help~ :3

Last edited:

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Yep! Mostly because I have no idea what Team Meteor's goal is. I suspect that the twist

at the end is that they are secretly good guys... but don't tell me!
As if I would!
As for sprites, I was mostly referring to Cain's trainer sprite, and ZEL's face-shot (which looks a little too

manly). But also many are clearly recolors, but you mentioned that those will be replaced, so
Well, ZEL is genetically a male, but two of his three personalities are female.
Sometimes I want to slap the person who created that character. >3>

What?! A secret area that I missed? >.>;
Was it the place with the zigzagoon?
Nope! That's available as soon as you have cut. This one doesn't open up literally until after you beat Fern. But if

you've already gotten further, whatevs.

Team/Florinia stuff
Ooh. Well, good job! Ferroseed is definitely something I'm going to replace though, because that's really not helping

the fire problem. >> And is very much hurting the grass one, like with your Servine.

Hmm, I see your point. It is good motivation for sidequests, but it's somewhat annoying to have to walk all the way

back to the department store when you get a new sticker. I also noticed that I could get to the second floor from the

beginning, but when I got the first sticker no new floors were unlocked. Is that supposed to happen?
Probably not, no. I may have been a bit derpy... The second floor being available a soon as you get the card is a

yes, but whenever you get another new sticker there should be another new floor. I knew I messed up with this on the

-fourth- floor, but not the third. Hurr.

Sitrus berries are... somewhat useful, but really only once per pokemon per battle. Honestly, ingame players are

probably more likely to spam super potions, drinks, or hyper potions, depending on what part of the game they're at.

I'm just saying that they're pretty expensive for being what is, at the time, a slightly better alternative to

potions.
ITT: Ame forgets that competitive berries still expire after one use, unlike in wifi/sim battles.
In that case, I think their in-game price is appropriate, but I will still reevaluate stuff when I go through it,

which in light of your feedback, I'll be doing before the next release.

I mostly expected it because up to that point, every pokemon you find and chase on the overworld you get to battle

and catch when you find it. Especially since that encounter has such a large build-up to it. But this brings up the

question, what's the point of putting something in the game if your players aren't "supposed" to find it?
(Also, Scrafty is UU according to Smogon)
Let me rephrase that then- players aren't supposed to find it easily. To put it in right there would basically be

giving it to every player, because it's pretty universally desired.
But as I said in the opening post, eventually all 649 will be in this.
As for the tiers.... Yeah, Smogon. >> Reborn has its own tiering system, we all kind of rejected Smogon.

How about Rapid Spin, for those unfortunate enough to decide not to train a poison type (or if more gym leaders use

hazards later...)?
It might also be nice to get heart scales through the Game Corner, so that there are as many as you need, but you

have to work for them... unless you have some other plan for them?
Is Rapid Spin a TM...? o.o I can't find anything that suggests that it is... True, I could make it one, but I

don't feel comfortable taking the liberty to decide which Pokemon could or could not learn such a thing, and I'm not

sure how I feel about altering a somewhat established metagame that way. If it were though, I would totally do that.

Heart scales is not a bad idea either. They are actually already in the game, but not accessible until after the

fourth badge. I'll... consider this.

While fire types are *really* useful up through the first three gyms, they're pretty nerfed considering it rains so

often ingame. As for how broken speed boost torchic is, my boyfriend has one and also says that it doesn't seem too

broken yet. I guess I'll let you know if that changes.
Four gyms! But oi. Please do. ^-^
How about League Manager? Since it seems like the league helps the government out, the person who manages the league

would also be well in-touch with whatever Reborn's government is. Unless the whole region is run by the League, in

which case the League Manager would pretty much be the acting leader.
Veeeeeeeeery possibly
Darn. So I'd assume Moxie isn't working yet either?
Correct. There should actually be a list.... here!

So, now that I've gotten a bit farther, I have a few more things to add...
-My boyfriend thinks there should be evolution music.
...There isn't? Oops, I bet I deleted it when I overhauled the rest of the music. Well, I guess I'll have to fix

that. >>
-A friend of mine really likes Zangoose, will Zangoose be obtainable ingame?
Well, like I said, everything eventually will, but your friend is in luck, because Zangoose will be obtainable in the

next release!
actually it was supposed to be available as early as the fourth, but it's one of those pesky roaming ones that are

broken

-The same friend also got stuck in some stairs about a half hour into the game. Even when he restarts he's still

stuck in the stairs.
Whaaaaaaat. Stuck in some stairs? That's not good... Could I get a screen shot, please? I'd love to see where so I

can fix this, and if necessary send him a patch or fix his save.
-You use a very dark color pallette, which is fine... but when it gets darker (I'm not sure if it's from nighttime or

from thunderstorms) I can't see ANYTHING. I made my way through half of the Malchous forest half-blind, until I

saved, quit, came back later and the weather happened to be sunny. I didn't even know there were parts of the forest

that weren't tall-grass, and when I was helping the boy get home, I walked past twice and didn't see the pokemon

gang... I only found him because I decided to go down that alleyway for the heck of it.
Yeeeeep. I.... think the system developer might be changing this soon, I forget... But apparently the

day/night system is linked to everything from the time of day to what hemisphere you're in, like, your global

coordinates etc. So... So I can't modify the colour direfctly. Trust me, if I could I would love to, and I hope to do

so soon.
In the meantime, I'll make up some excuse like if it were dark/stormy in real life you wouldn't be able to see either

. >:I
-Speaking of that sidequest, there is no drifloon to fight.
sfbjuhdsf okay so when I read this before I was like, oh, well, that's because Drifloon only appear when it's windy,

so it probably wasn't windy when you looked for it
.......But, if you saw the kid in the alley, that has to mean you already advanced the sidequest. You did so without

fighting Drifloon? If so, something is wrong.
-It would be cool if I could (also) join the Magma Gang instead of the Aqua Gang (mostly so it's easier for my

Servine, but also Magma is just better).
You can! Well, really, it depends on which place you go to first. But yeah, you can choose to join either gang. I guess you just found Aqua first? :c
-I have version four (but I will update soon) and I'm stuck. Victoria said she was going to the stairs, but I can't

find her... so I did the Aqua Gang sidequest, went back and she still isn't there. The only way under the stairs that

I can see is the Magma Gang hideout, and they wouldn't let me in before or after joining the Aqua Gang... is there

something I'm missing, or is this part of the game broken?
I don't believe it's broken... You should see a ladder in the middle of the giant crack in the Grand Stairway. Is it not there? o.o
-Is there a way for evolutions involving trading (eg. Kadabra, Porygon) to happen? Neither is that useful without

trading. (also, speaking of trading, will it be possible to trade with other players?)
For the forseeable future, trade with other players isn't possible, but there are already trade evolutions in the game. They're first available after the fourth gym.
-How do I update without getting rid of my save? Do I have to find the save file and put it somewhere else, or can I

just extract the update in the same folder?
Your save file is stored externally, so you can just about delete the game folder you're presently using, and then just unzip the fresh download and run that. This is assuming you're using a PC. Mac users have some strange things going on and I'm not totally sure about those yet...
-I just started up the game again, and for some reason whenever I'm in any sort of menu, the game thinks I'm pressing

the up key, but when I'm walking around it doesn't.... how do I fix this? x.x;
o.o
That's new.
Um.
Good question... My first suggestion would be to, if you can, try saving somewhere and then restarting the game. If that does nothing, then... Try the new update. Well, maybe you should do that anyway. And if nothing changes from the new download, we'll work out a way for you to send me your save file nad I'll see if I can replicate /fix the problem.
That's all I've got for now, I'm glad I could help~ :3
Thanks~

Meanwhile starting up work on the next episode today, now that my most annoying finals are done. Going to be incorporating a lot of these changes very shortly~

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
afghhwefsdigbrfdk this happens to random people and I don't know why, and even more frustrating, in their experience, it tends to go away randomly.
My suggestion: Download this new patch. See if that happens to fix it. If not, leave the factory and re-enter (this resets Fern being with you). Try saving outside and entering. If these things don't work, I'd like to get your save file from you, and maybe I can figure out a bit more about what causes it, and what can be done.

Please let me know how this turns out for you!

I managed to fix the problem. I did encounter a problem later that I couldn't fix so I was required to restart. I'm currently trying to figure out the last question for the second gym. I'm very glad I chose Torchic as my starter, due to Florinia's team being Grass-Types with that Cradily in there as well.

aco

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
i'm stuckt on the second gym because I can't anwer this question "how many pokemon are capable of outspeeding a maximum speed darkrai without boosts in any form" can someone please help me

sorry for my bad english

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
i'm stuckt on the second gym because I can't anwer this question "how many pokemon are capable of outspeeding a maximum speed darkrai without boosts in any form" can someone please help me

sorry for my bad english

My advice to you, is read the books. There is one about Pokemon with heaps of Speed.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
I managed to fix the problem. I did encounter a problem later that I couldn't fix so I was required to restart. I'm currently trying to figure out the last question for the second gym. I'm very glad I chose Torchic as my starter, due to Florinia's team being Grass-Types with that Cradily in there as well.

Oh no! What kind of error was that, that you couldn't fix...?
And, good luck!
The books help with the Beat Up question too, but you may need to check even the ones laying around on the floor. c:

sorry for my bad english

Pretty much what Seraph said; get reading!
or you could just use google and look up pokemon by speed stat

I'm gonna be changing these questions around though, since so many people have issues with them.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Oh no! What kind of error was that, that you couldn't fix...?
And, good luck!
The books help with the Beat Up question too, but you may need to check even the ones laying around on the floor. c:

The error occurred when I was battling against Tangrowth. It saved and crashed, then kept doing that. Oddly enough, it was only when I sent out Magikarp, however it was during the previous update. I did finally figure out the question for Beat Up. The reason I couldn't figure it out was because I don't really use Beat Up. I prefer to stick to Psychic/Fire Type Moves. Also, is it possible to get Ralts or Eevee yet?
EDIT: The error occurred again, this time when starting the battle against Aster and Eclipse. It happens when Victoria goes to send out Emboar.

Last edited:

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Yeah, someone had this issue on the first page too... Are you using the animated sprites? If so, you might try reverting to just the static. Most of the people who get this are using Animated, and it bogs down their computers, causing these loops to happen.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Yeah, someone had this issue on the first page too... Are you using the animated sprites? If so, you might try reverting to just the static. Most of the people who get this are using Animated, and it bogs down their computers, causing these loops to happen.

Actually, I am using the animated sprites. However, the problem seems to have stopped for now.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Okay, I'm currently in the Lapis Gym Atrium, and I can't seem to figure out the puzzle. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Also, I can't leave the gym either. Every time I attempt to, the game crashes. I really need to leave the gym so I can heal my team.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
That's exactly what was fixed with the patch that I uploaded a couple weeks ago. Just give the new one a download and you'll be fine.
You should be able to figure out the puzzle itself though. Just notice which colours each screen connects to- after all, it shows you right on it~

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
I already have the new version. As for the gym, I figured out the colors bit but I just don't know what order to use them in.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Well, therein is the puzzle. D: The trainer give you a couple hints, but you do need to be able to leave the room to finish the puzzle so if you can't, well, that might be part of why.

So I just checked the new download to be sure
And sure enough that same crash still exists
Which is infuriating because this is now the fourth time I've had to patch it, and it's not a difficult thing to fix, but for some reason I guess it refuses to save?

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN
http://www.poke-place.com/gympatch5.zip
Just unzip that file and stick it in the games' Data Folder, overwriting it.
Really sorry. >.<

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
oh this looks promissing o.o
I should deffinetely give this a try @w@ once I'm awake enough to spot the download link @W@ (sorry, it's almost 3 am over here @w@)

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Well, therein is the puzzle. D: The trainer give you a couple hints, but you do need to be able to leave the room to finish the puzzle so if you can't, well, that might be part of why.

So I just checked the new download to be sure
And sure enough that same crash still exists
Which is infuriating because this is now the fourth time I've had to patch it, and it's not a difficult thing to fix, but for some reason I guess it refuses to save?

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN
http://www.poke-place.com/gympatch5.zip
Just unzip that file and stick it in the games' Data Folder, overwriting it.
Really sorry. >.<

Apologies, but the problem is still occurring.

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2013
Sooo... I had to use my Stunky to Screech Cradily(cos i forgot its Poison gas on accident) and 1 shot it using my Feraligatr's Ice Fang. Now I do not know how to get to Jasper Ward. i emz stuck.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Sooo... I had to use my Stunky to Screech Cradily(cos i forgot its Poison gas on accident) and 1 shot it using my Feraligatr's Ice Fang. Now I do not know how to get to Jasper Ward. i emz stuck.

Remember where you went to get HM01 Cut? That's the entrance to Jasper Ward.

Back