• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] ✨ The Fairy Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★~UPDATE~
Finally! And it's the best update I've had yet!

Thing To See : Check out Violinist of Hameln! I wrote a little thing about it in the gallery, but for those of you who don't read what I write, Violinist of Hameln is a manga and I've started reading! It's kinda silly and mostly just nonsense, but it's the first manga I've ever read voluntarily and of my own accord without any outside influence!

Side Note : The time I was not updating was being spent learning how to use all my new toys. Everyone can expect double time from me now! Prolly by tonight lmao >;D

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★~UPDATE~

Thing To See : Red Witch of Hamlen! More fanart @_@;

Side Note : umm.. none lmao

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★~UPDATE~

Thing To See : Retouch of Pseudo-Legends. Original still included.

Side Note : Yes, Haxorus needed to be there. ;( For me.

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★~UPDATE~
I (with Dero's help) believe I have fixed the problem some of you have been having with my pictures not showing up. Please let me know if you're still having issues with loading and I'll do the best I can to fix them. Remember, I upload all pictures into my Art Album, so you can always look there if you're just /dying/ to see my updates! xP

Thing To See : Retouch, resize, and recolor of Altaria and Flygon. Original still included.

Side Note : Doing a lot of retouches and updates recently. Sorry for the lack of "new" material. ;(

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★~UPDATE~

Thing To See : A new random Pokemon doodle. Although I guess you could just look in my signature lol. Also, see Kimono Girl #2! :D

Side Note : I'll add one later. :p
SECOND PAGE! WOOOO~!

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★~UPDATE~
I actually posted the drawings like yesterday. I'm just letting you all know now cause I got lazy and didn't do it before. ;p

Thing To See : The Larvitar Experiment.

Side Note : As you'll read in the aforementioned section, the Larvitar experiment has officially been launched, so I'd love to hear what you have to say! n_n;; I highly recommend all A&D regulars choose a Pokemon mascot. Even if you don't draw (let alone draw Pokemon) we all ended up on PC for a reason and I know you all have a favorite.

Enjoy

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Oh man, so much yes with that second kimono girl. I already loved the first one. It almost makes me want to attempt a more realistic drawing. Almost. But there'd have to be a reason in me doing it. If I was a fashion designer like my mom is, then I'd get right on it.

Anyway, I love the face on her, and the colors are swell (ahaha, "swell"). It's not finished it appears, so I can't really say too much, but I do like what I'm seeing. Do you plan on leaving it mostly white? I think for what the picture is, that would work out just fine.

I dunno what to say for your Larvitar that I haven't already said via VM. Although, didn't you say those weren't yours? Now I'm confused. Maybe I missed the intepretation somewhere. I think the easiest thing to do, though, is more or less to have something evolve naturally. It's one thing to make a character for a medium. It's another to have a general representation. I'm sure Musical Combusken, for example, appears to be Anastasia do a degree, but is her own entity as well, nevertheless with a characterization based on a real person, which makes her more exciting than if she was just filling a role.

Alright. It's like Woody from Toy Story compared to Ronald McDonald, who's sole purpose is to shill unhealthy hamburgers to little kids.

It's about empathy, really. I'm doing a whole study on this for my thesis, actually, related to why I feel people are quicker to believe fictional characters from animated films, especially from Disney/Pixar works are a lot more real and alive than video game characters, regardless of how much mocap and realistic textures we use. Something like that. Still working it out.

Anyway, good luck with what you come up with. I'd like to see what others think. I can't be the only guy who focuses on characterization, come on. I know some of you Disney fanatics are on this forum.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Okay, I've no idea what works I have already commented on and which ones I haven't so I'm just gonna go with the flow and comment on random ones. :D

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/Alexial357/user271436_pic68211_1355701834_zpsdaf93a57.jpg
Alright, I'll start with this one. Linework, gurl. It is pretty goddamn amazing. You've gone for darker and wider lines where they're supposed to be like that and the result is just astonishing. The picture, although a bit messy due to all the pokemon in it, is just one of those really awesome ones which manage to have so many different characters without sacrificing the quality of any single one and maintaining unique and interesting poses all the while making it seem natural. I couldn't do something like this even if I tried. So hats off.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/Alexial357/user271436_pic68611_1357784107_zps1765a593.jpg
This one, like your other pokemon works, has all the qualities that make it a really good pokemon drawing. My only gripe with it would be with the style of shading, though. I could probably see it ending up with a better look if you smudged instead of using straight lines for shading. And yeah, I know straight lines can really work wonders in some works and stuff but it just doesn't fit here, imo. But yeah, just my opinion. :p

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/Alexial357/user271436_pic68612_1357784107_zps4ec06889.jpg
It ain't as bad as you're making it out to be, lmao. Though the only thing I'd say about this one is that the straightness of the line which marks the upper portion of her right boob is kinda weird. Left one looks natural. I totally sound like a perv, do I not? I mean, talking only about boobs in a drawing and whatnot. XD; If I had to say anything more about it, I'd say that I like how you do hair. I really, really can appreciate how you put so much time and effort into all the detailing that goes into the hair. I mean, just look at this other one. Breathtaking. You've done hair really well in your drawings till now. Really well. <3;

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/Alexial357/user271436_pic68226_1355773078_zpsccea6dc3.jpg
I really like this one. Her Kimono's been done nicely and I could definitely see japanese women wear something like that sort of pattern on it. The character herself is well done considering the fact that her face does give off an air of tranquility and peace. I mean, not many drawings are able to effectively convey emotions and 'atmosphere' of the drawing, if that makes any sense. My drawings comprise of nothing but lifeless sketches. Yours don't. <3; The second kimono girl wouldn't be someone I call 'realistic', tbh. But if you do compare it to the first which is definitely one which has a anime style going on for it, I can see why you're referring to it as that. :p Though I'd say that I prefer the first one. Second one..well, let's just say that her face and her body do not match. There's nothing wrong anatomically with the upper portion of her body, no. But her face gives off a 'I don't give a ****' look while her body (or the positioning of her hands, in particular) give off a 'Hello sir, welcome!' or something along the lines. For some reason, I can only picture a face with a more 'gentle' look fitting that posture. That's probably just me, though. So feel free to ignore. I really like the patterns used here, though. <3;

All in all, amazing work. You do not disappoint, Alex. <3;

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Thank you Dero, for yet another wonderful critique! :3

I'm planing on redrawing my wild pokemon piece. The main problem in all of my drawings is that I start out with one idea and it morphs into something completely different while I work. This is the case here, as well, because I started drawing the bottom row of Pokemon first. Then it developed a very nurturing and motherly theme with the addition of Kangaskhan and her child. I quickly fell in love with this "celebration of new life" idea but, of course, the piece already had elements that pulled away from that focus. Hence why it feels messy, imo. When I do get around to redesigning this piece, mother Kangaskhan will be in the center with no distractions.

Poo on dat Keldeo. I'm going to move stuff like that into the random pokemon doodle category (like I did with scrafty and scraggy). They just don't qualify for a designated spot in the gallery because they're, well, just doodles. :p

lmao boobs u pervert hohohoho

Just kidding, hun. ;) They are a little lopsided. xD I was trying to avoid a typical perky, squished up to her chin bust. Think Selina Kyle when you look at her. I wanted to keep her a little more refined and less BAM. But that never seems to work out with anime-style art, does it?

I can pinpoint exactly the problem you're having with my second kimono girl right now : she has no pupils. She's missing some fundamental pieces that make her soft, elegant, and feminine. Not that she's lacking those characteristics necessarily, but the "human" element that makes my first version so real isn't present in the second one. She feels empty and almost mechanical, doesn't she? I like how you said she gives off a
Dero said:
'Hello sir, welcome!' or something along the lines.
because that really hits the nail on the head. Truthfully, she was never supposed to be a redesign of the first one, but I really wanted to expand on the design in the kimono. I love the birds in the first one (I think they look like little ho-ohs, but dbp would beg to differ ;p) but I think traditional Japanese patterns were lacking in a big way-- so I incorporated them into the second girl. But yes, you are correct, the "realism" was only meant in comparison to the first girl.

What I'm really happy about in your critique, Dero, is the fact that you're picking up on the emotional aspect of my art. You're inherently very empathetic, aren't you? Because this isn't the first time you've interpreted my art exactly the way I intended. Not that my art is so complicated and deep, that its message would escape common folk and only the true scholars among us can find it's true beauty or anything. But like I've said a million times before; I believe that art, in any form, is meant to evoke an emotion. And you are definitely receiving what I'm giving. My drawings are very, very embedded with my feelings -- or just strong feelings in general. I mean, you can't get more powerful than a mother with a new child, can you? That doesn't reflect my personal feelings, as I have no children, but it's still something that evokes a very particular feeling in everyone. I'm so glad you've been able to identify and maybe even relate to some of my drawings here. That's probably why you give such accurate critiques! Moreover, I believe what you're interpreting as inconsistencies has less to do with the technical facets of my art and more to do with how those technical aspects contradict the emotional spectrum. I can draw all of the gentle, womanly kimono girls I want.. but it will never feel like that if I don't make them human (ie; give them damn pupils).

Thank you, Dero. Your comments are always appreciated. You're the best! <33333;

Oh yeah, I added some new stuff to Random Pokemon Doodles too-- but I'm not going to do the whole update thing so ya'll are just gunna have to read this and look for them. >;p

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Sorry I didn't comment yesterday. My internet was being super slow.

Anyway, all of these look absolutely amazing! The line art is so clean, even on your doodles.

I love the pose and shading of the Gliscor pic. The Wild Pokémon pic is just too cute and I love the varying stroke weight (something I can't do well). The way you've interpreted Cubone without its skull-helmet is very interesting - took a moment for me to realize what they were. The pseudo-legends are very adorable - I like both versions very much. The Bug Pokémon drawing is nice, though Sewaddle's face scares me XD. The Ghost Pokémon pic is amazing - Ghost is one of my favorite types. The Pokémon battle pic #1 is just too epic - I love the shading and dynamic poses that really gives off the sense of watching a battle. Escavalier looks amazing in Pokémon battle #2 - I can't wait to see it completed! I love the way you colored the Altaria and Flygon pic - it looks really soft! I like the manga-style shading on the Keldeo and Shaymin pic, though the front right leg looks a little deformed - still very nice for a quick sketch and I couldn't have done any better. While I'm not a fan of the style the girl in Girl with Pokémon was drawn in, it's still a fantastic piece - that may just be the cutest Sneasel pic I've ever seen. The doodles are very cute and the Fakemon looks epic! I love the second Larvitar pic - the others are... interesting.

Looking forward to future updates! :D

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot to comment on the other post.

Unnamed Piece #1 is very detailed and I love the ghostly appearance of the girl to the left- it reminds me of some shojo manga, which I've been reading quite a bit lately. The dragon... just... wow - looks quite realistic, great details! The Fables character seems to combine cartoon elements with realism - very nice. Kratos and Wolverine are both very detailed - great work. I really like the contrast between the simple face and detailed clothing in the Kimono Girl #1 pic, but I LOVE everything (drawing style, colors...) about Kimono Girl #2. The eyes in Unnamed Piece #2 looks really detailed and shiny for it not being colored and the hair looks like it took a lot of effort. Violinist of Hameln looks so much different from all your other work - the cape and hands are nice, but nothing else about this pic really pops out to me. I don't care much for human/human-like characters drawn in a realistic style, but Red Witch of Hameln looks great! Keep it up!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★★~UPDATE~★★
I don't think I ever mentioned this update even though I posted the drawings forever ago. o.o;; Anyway, yeah, few new things for ya'll to see! n_n;

Thing To See : "Hey Mama Marowak", and a fakemon / shiny Espeon in RPD.

Side Note : RPD stands for Random Pokemon Doodles, btw. :p Anyway, so I've done a touch of reorganizing in the gallery. First, "Scrafty and Scraggy" has been moved to RPD and "Keldeo and Shaymin" are on their way there too. They were never true drawings, just sketches that (at the time) I found too big for RPD. But the gallery is expanding and I need to make room for the pieces I invested more time into.

Enjoy
★★

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★★~UPDATE~★★

Thing To See : "Diamond Point"

Side Note : Well, I guess this is my first update since my promotion? ;p

Enjoy
★★

Maxresh

D-Little Dictator
Years
Very nice collection there Alexial. The details you have shown in all your sketches are marvelous. Your shading is impressive. Your works really shows the hard work put on them. I specially love your pokemon ones; "Scizor / Reuniclus vs. Gallade / Raichu" is really an epic work. Dragon Doddle is coming out really well. Love the details, maybe you should complete it. Girl in Kimono is very neatly done, love the hair work and the details on her Kimono. Well, overall, very impressive collection. Enjoyed going through them :D

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
First of all, I love your art. I've relished in the chance to see you draw everything you've posted here and feel more than privileged to have been a part of your artistic career.

My favorite of your current pieces has to be the one you've labeled "Diamond Point" because of it's originality of medium and it's perfectly proportioned positioning. Working with 100 year-old tools to achieve something so modern yet so classical is exceedingly difficult and your ability to pull it off so well continues to amaze me. I'd love to see you try a similar piece with the Brause 66EP nib some day, but we'll have to get our hands on some pretty rare vintage ink to make it happen.

Of course I'm a bit biased when it comes to your art, but I like to believe that I'd still be entranced by it if I didn't get to see it every day. I know you're still learning how to manipulate your drawing tablet and trying to find a balance between pen/pencil and paper and digital media, but I sincerely hope you never find that perfect balance. It sounds bad, sure, but think about it like this: you still have a lot of discovering to do. That desire to learn and slight inexperience with new equipment leads you to make different decisions than you would if you had complete mastery over all your tools. Those decisions lead to some of the most beautiful art I've seen and give all your pieces a quality that I can't identify, but love very much.

The analogy I think of is based in jazz. Maynard Ferguson is one of my favorite musicians. His early work is incredible, not because it was thought over until perfect, but because it has an inherent wildness to it. I was lucky enough to see him perform before he died in 2006, but I've wished since that day that I was alive to see him perform while he was still leaning his craft, not acting as master of it. You're still at the place where your art speaks for more than you may intend and I hope you never, ever lose sight of the hard, sometimes brutal steps you've had to take on your way to your current artistic position. As always, I love you very much and hope to see you grow as an artist and as a person. I count myself as the luckiest man alive to be able to see the fruits of your labor.

Also, thank you PokeCommunity, for supporting Alexial so much. Your collective and individual encouragement is appreciated by both of us more than you know.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'll do a nice breakdown of everyone's wonderful comments in a bit but until then, thanks so much for your support!! <33; [/lazy]

★★~UPDATE~★★

Thing To See : "Comic Girl"

Side Note : ehhhhh later :x
Enjoy
★★

Years
That Gliscor looks like he's about to kick some ass. And I really like the pictures you did with multiple pokemon. The composition is good and each one contributes something to the piece. Keep up the good work!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★★~ TOTAL AND UTTER UPDATE TO END ALL UPDATES~★★
not the end of updates, just the last big one for a long time to come

Thing To See : Overhaul of the century. Everything has been redone, renamed, redesigned, and in some cases, redrawn. I've updated "Ms. Kyle" (formerly Unnamed Piece #3) and added "Excadrill"

Side Note : PLEASE INFORM ME IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS VIEWING MY IMAGES OR IF MY CSS IS WAY OUT OF ORDER. I WILL FIX IT. I can't always tell when my CSS is messed up (ie: way bigger than the thread and/or your monitor ;p) so let me know if things don't look right. Chances are, they're not supposed to.

Enjoy
★★

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★★~UPDATE~★★

Thing To See : "Samurai X"

Side Note : I'm not going to be making a shop -- because I don't believe it will be very active -- but I'm officially open to requests. This gallery will serve as a shop and I'll be writing up some terms of use at a later date. Until then, know that I am willing to do some requests, so don't be afraid to ask. :)

Enjoy
★★

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
Oh oh, your Samurai X drawing is amazing! Wish I could draw traditionally as well as you do!

I love the detailing on the hair of the girl up front-- that shine looks like it took forever, and it's placed so nicely! (And jesus there are so many details I can't even fathom all the patience that would require /wheeze) I think I'd really give you all your kudos if the white hair(?) also had the same lines to define the flow of it-- as of now, it looks a little blocky in comparison to the silky sheen of the black hair!

I'd suggest further that maybe you should try to practice the balance of your faces a little? The nose and mouth are a little too close together, while the eyes seem a little too far apart! The former seems to be a recurring thing in most of your art, so I'd try to put a little more distance in between-- just to give a little more room for the philtrum between the nose and lips! Also, particularly on the Samurai X picture-- I think if you're going to shade the bridge of his nose, it'd be a good idea to define the cup of the nostrils, and not just the holes themselves!

My personal favorite in your gallery- out of your non-pokemon works, is definitely your Aqua Girl. The perspective is great-- and while it does need a little tweaking here and there, I think it's so great that you're expanding your angling skills like that. I need to take a page out of your book and learn a little myself! orz

Now I don't know anything about drawing pokemon, so I can't crit on that-- BUT I LOVE THOSE DOT EYE PLUSH POKEMON CHIBS omg I'm just dying over how squishable that chikorita and bulbasaur look-- and the charmander omg the charmander aaah they would make THE cutest charms/stuffed animals!

Anyway, hope to see more from you soon! Sorry for all this rambling o<-<!!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Thanks so much Loki! You have no idea how much that means coming from an artist as talented like you. ;;

I'd suggest further that maybe you should try to practice the balance of your faces a little? The nose and mouth are a little too close together, while the eyes seem a little too far apart! The former seems to be a recurring thing in most of your art, so I'd try to put a little more distance in between-- just to give a little more room for the philtrum between the nose and lips! Also, particularly on the Samurai X picture-- I think if you're going to shade the bridge of his nose, it'd be a good idea to define the cup of the nostrils, and not just the holes themselves!

UGH TELL ME ABOUT IT!! My biggest problem, by far, is that the picture just totally develops without me thinking about it, if that makes sense. I never sit down, about to draw, thinking, "okay this time I'm going to focus on -x-." It just kind of... happens and before I know it I've invested two hours in the hair/clothing and spent like two minutes on the face. ;;

It's funny that you mention Aqua Girl too.. because that's actually the style I feel most comfortable with. Anime.. while I draw quite a lot of it.. it just doesn't feel right to me anymore. The proportions and everything fall very much on the foreign side of art to me now. That's why more westernized pieces like Aqua Girl or Red Witch of Hameln come out better and overall more believable, imo. It's funny that you've picked up on that. n_n;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back