• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does your age reflect your battle style

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Hey guys i was just wondering if that your age reflects your battle style here on pokemoncomnunity we have a very wide range of ages of pokemon lovers im 19 an grew up with the 1st generation of pokemon so ive always loved it most people my age or atleast me and my freinds are the kinda battlers where we are all about pure power yes some starategy is involved but its mostly about power when i battle i use strong moves not boosters. With most kids these days you use alot of thought into battleing i was just wondering if any of you have an opinion on this. Mods if there is a fourm like this or it needs to be moved plz do so

101 veiws an no one has an opinion come on guys

Last edited:

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I don't think is by age but more of playstyle or gen you grew up with. I got the same playstyle as you using strong moves that do a lot of damage and I'm 15 and grew up with gen III/IV.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I think it's a personal choice/what you were influenced by. I'm p sure I'd battle with the same types of teams now as I would 5 years ago (despite never battling then but let's assume I could battle then okay!) I don't think your battling style changes as you get older, but rather the metagames change as you grow up, which could create that illusion.

Also unfortunately not everyone has something to add to a topic Smurf, so that'll explain the views.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
My way of battling is use the best move types and hit as hard as i can. A few pokemon have things like Swords Dance and what not. It might be generational. Gen one and two you can use one pokemon and win now 3 and on you really cant.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't really think so tbh. I mean, I do battle differently (competitively) than I did just a little while ago, but I don't think it's because of my age, but because now I kind of know what I'm doing, and back then I didn't lol.

Uhh I guess since we're talking about battling I think I'm different in game, when I was younger I would just use my starter but now I actually use my team, lol. So i guess, maybe.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
I'm 12 and I also go for the attacks that do the most damage to the specific Pokémon I'm battling. I never use moves that don't do damage. I leave my healing to potions. I also sacrifice weak Pokémon to use revive on my strong Pokémon when they faint.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
i iz teh 16io n teh battul styler duz nut affectario teh agerooni cuz uh i stillio eazy mash errebody nao mattorio wutter cuz uh ima monstra n i eazy mash u 6ko no problemario TGOD!!

Makic pls

Everythun grammur wnet bettur thn expct

Regards Dolan
174678_205504909464643_8268431_n.jpg

Anyway, your age prolly does reflect your battling style as you become more seasoned the longer you play, thats a given.

Years
cBOyj.png

Anyways yea my age shapes my battle style, since im an old inveterate sage I use very wise psychic type pkmns like Alakazam, Dusclops and Skarmory. When I was younger I was more reckless but its different now since i have acheieved zen.

MidnightDarkrai

Champion in the making
Years
I don't think it does because I am 14 and I grew up with ruby since I had it since I was 6 and well ur strageties is up to how u play because 4 me since I only used to play with npc I never had a strageties just pure power and types I didn't know about nature nor evs

Years
I'm 12 and I also go for the attacks that do the most damage to the specific Pokémon I'm battling. I never use moves that don't do damage. I leave my healing to potions. I also sacrifice weak Pokémon to use revive on my strong Pokémon when they faint.

^ This is basically how i play xD, but lately i have been mixing it up

Years
I think the OP didn't mean age as in what age you are now. I think he actually means which era were you from. Basically it means like if you were from the GB & GBC pokemon era you'd play like Hyper Beam is king. But I doubt there is much difference in battling styles if you compare them by era. I think it's more of gaming maturity. When I started out, it was all pure power and attacks like Hyper Beam, Horn Drill, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast was everything. Then when pokemon gold came out I started using skills like screech and sword dance. Then when the gen III games were introduced, I started using combos like rain dance and thunder, sunny day and solar beam and combinations like that because there were double battles, and I also tried to get my pokemon to learn moves that can maximize the use of their abilities. Now there's rotation battles in BW, a different strategy is required. Even though I changed my style to suit these new battling systems, but I believe it's due to experience in playing pokemon, and not because of the era I grew up in.

But I still have pokemon who are built on pure attacking power just for the fun of it, and plus, it's easier :)

Years
Maybe so. I'm eighteen and never really got into Pokemon until Gen IV and my strategy is based off balance and slowly whittling the opponent down until victory is mine.

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2023
Maybe age does make a different like if a 25 year old battler battles a 8 year old kid in a Pokemon match the 25 year old guy could win because there is more of a chance of him knowing or playing Pokemon longer than the 8 year old kid and some say the old you are, the wiser you become; but then again that 8 year old could be super smart and is in high school already.I can't remember the whole story but some kids around 12 are in college but very very few amount are in college.That 12 or what ever year old kid in college is smart but doesn't mean he would have a higher chance of winning in a Pokemon battle lol.I do not believe that your age could reflect on your battle style. x)

James_Andrews

Veteran Trainer
Years
I grew up with Gen II and also started out as a purely offensive trainer when I was younger.
I don't really think my tactics have changed because of my age, more so because I got more experienced and wanted to try out new movesets.
Nowadays I like stalling, partly because you are annoying your opponent to death (especially if they are less skilled) and partly because you are in full control of the match as if you were playing a game of chess.
All in all, I believe it has to do with the effort you are willing to put in so that you will understand the game better.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2012
i personally only use pokemon i think look cool regardless of these silly tiers you'd never catch me using a salamance or garchomp over the OG dragonite! a legendary is a no-no for me you'll never catch me with a legend in my party, i think it stems from back in the day when me n my friends had a strict no legendary policy in our battles :) now these tiers n stuff have legends in with regs i dont feel that all that... as for how i use em, i just train my fav poke from each type in what their base stats set them up for and run with it, if its a staller by how its made then i make it a staller if its a OHKOr that thats what i make it. Just focus on making the coolest pokes (imo) the best they can be. ;)

i'm 23.

BlaqJester

Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
Vivi on Diamond said:
i personally only use pokemon i think look cool regardless of these silly tiers you'd never catch me using a salamance or garchomp over the OG dragonite! a legendary is a no-no for me you'll never catch me with a legend in my party, i think it stems from back in the day when me n my friends had a strict no legendary policy in our battles now these tiers n stuff have legends in with regs i dont feel that all that... as for how i use em, i just train my fav poke from each type in what their base stats set them up for and run with it, if its a staller by how its made then i make it a staller if its a OHKOr that thats what i make it. Just focus on making the coolest pokes (imo) the best they can be.

i'm 23.

Ive been here since the primary colors.We all had that battle style Hyper Beam everything but youll learn through experience Screw tiers they really mess the fun up in the game I agree just use Pokemon you like

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Years
Yeah, I agree that Tiers kinda sap the fun out of it.
I started with Sapphire, at the age of 15 and at first I had no idea what I was doing (LOL). I started fighting real people and learned little by little, how to build synergy and a strategy for my team. Now, I usually try to have a balanced team and I try to incorporate my favorite pokes in it. You'll never see me using Conkledurr coz' I just can't get over his face... :D
Age IS related to experience so age does matter, IMO
I'm 24, BTW

Years
I am very much plow my way through in-game with the strongest moves I can find. It's not until post-game I start using stat changing moves and things like that. I still find myself losing to my friends who don't really pay much attention to strategic moves (They have type advantage because they know I'll crush them otherwise).

Back