• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The Attack Continues! (Forever...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Does anyone remember the constrictive moves like Wrap, and how insanely broken they were? @_@;;

Wrap_I.png

If you don't know what I mean, moves like Wrap used to prevent the opposing pokemon on making a move, throughout the turns that those moves are still active, until the moves finishes. So basically, fast pokemon like Rapidash or Charizard who use this move can keep on attacking slower pokemon, and they wouldn't be able to attack back at all, as long as the move didn't miss..

Another great combo with this was that people can use their pokemon to paralyze the opponent first, and so, they can keep on using the restrictive moves. Fortunately you can switch out the pokemon whenever Wrap is still used, but unless your pokemon does not have enough speed, the pokemon can still repeat the Wrap or Fire Spin move. Ugh. There was also Fire Spin, Clamp, and Bind, by the way, and pokemon like Arbok, Dragonite, or Tentacruel can use those constrictive moves.

*So again, do you remember the mechanics of those moves?
*Did you ever abuse those strategies that I've listed, or at least try them?
* What did you think about those moves mechanics?

Feel free to share all thoughts! :3

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 23, 2016
I guess this is why everybody had to one-shot Erika's gym. :P
But yeah, it's extremely annoying.
Ekans on Route 9? Brock's Onix? Grass-types? STAHP.

I actually never ran into Fire Spin in my life in Gen 1, so that was never a problem to me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
To me, it made sense to be unable to attack when opponent would use either Wrap or Bind. I mean, your body is so supposed to be tied-down completely, so how could you make any movement at all? It was sort of annoying, but I just had to accept it. xD" As for Fire Spin and Clamp, though, I'm not really sure about them.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Ugh, I remember this madness. It was so frustrating. There's no way you can win if you don't have any Pokemon that can outspeed the Pokemon abusing it. I agree with Peitharchia that it makes sense logically that you can't attack while being wrapped, clamped, or trapped in a vortex of fire, but still xD

In contrast, the moves are next to worthless now with the new mechanics. The only use that they could possibly have is keeping an opponent from switching out--but it's too situational to warrant giving up an entire move slot.

Guest123_x1

OMG! Wrap, Bind, and Fire Spin are among my least favorite moves in Gen. I. Opponents would always paralyze me, then spam the daylights out of Wrap, making it impossible to make a move, and the attacks would continue for 4-5 turns at a time, and would then sometimes resume over and over until my Pokémon fainted. Yet when I used these kind of moves, they would sometimes miss, and when they hit, they wouldn't last any more than 2 to 3 turns.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I didnt remember this was a thing until i replayed Pokemon Blue like half a year ago. Being used to how wrap and stuff work now, i thought there had to be a mistake, i mean, how can that Ekans keep wrapping my Geodude without me being able to do anything?? And since now you cant switch Pokemon during such an attack, i didnt bother to try. Then it hit me, and i felt really dumb Xd But yeah, such a broken mechanic, like many things in Gen1 games

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I really hated when these moves were used against me, but when it came to some challenge I've played these move can be game changers and are actually really fun to use!

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
I never had much trouble with moves like this in Gen 1. When I did I assume it's because I was little and didn't understand what was going on. Either way the only time it's really a problem is when you're first starting out and even then a lot of Pokemon get the move Quick Attack.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Paralyze, Toxic & Wrap. umadbro?

Seriously, constrictive moves were double edged moves where you can abuse it or your opponent abuse it. I'm glad they fixed this in later games lmao. But it became so weak xD

Years
Ah, I sure do remember it in-game. Not fun dealing with stuff like Erika, and the abundance of Ekans and Bellsprout that would spam Wrap. =(

However, I remember reading in a "competitive" battling guide that if you switch out in the middle of one of these moves, not only would it end, but the user of the move does nothing that turn. I didn't remember it being that way. At least nowadays the moves are less cheap.

DoktorGilda

I will steal your lunch money
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
I remember a trainer in the Gym Leader castles in Stadium had a Rapidash with Fire Spin. I'm pretty sure that was one of the first instances where I actually rage quit a battle. D:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Wanna make people mad? Here's how:
1. Teach a Dragonite Thunder Wave.
2. Then teach it Wrap.
3. Challenge a friend to a battle.
4. Twave then Wrap spam.
5. Enjoy the rage.

I played at least 1 competitive battle with Generation 1 mechanics, and the meta's basically surrounded around 3 things: critical hits, paralysis and wrap. Combine the last 2 and you have an angry opponent. I absolutely hated Wrap, when it's combined with Thunder Wave, you lose all chances to attack. The only way to fight back is via Wrap missing, and it has 90 accuracy. Not that many chances for it to.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
On my last run of yellow I used just NFE's so I abused the heck out of bind and wrap with Onix and Ekans. I always hated the move as a kid but the move functions as it actually should.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I used Moltres's Fire Spin to completely destroy my rival's champion battle team after inflicting burn status, so I guess I have good memories. Though abusing it is just too much out of sync. I'm glad they changed it in the later games, that being heard.

Humble Hook

Because the Hook brings you back ~
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
Wanna make people mad? Here's how:
1. Teach a Dragonite Thunder Wave.
2. Then teach it Wrap.
3. Challenge a friend to a battle.
4. Twave then Wrap spam.
5. Enjoy the rage.

This pisses me off just thinking about it. But i want to do this to an old friend if i can find my old Red.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
To me, it made sense to be unable to attack when opponent would use either Wrap or Bind. I mean, your body is so supposed to be tied-down completely, so how could you make any movement at all? It was sort of annoying, but I just had to accept it. xD" As for Fire Spin and Clamp, though, I'm not really sure about them.

I suppose it does make sense in a very masochist way, but the only way they could ever get away with a gameplay mechanic like that again is if they allowed the Pokemon in question to use certain moves, such as most special moves that could be activated by mouth, tail or body, and certain physical moves like Flame Wheel, Self Destruction and Explosion.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I ended up incorporating the strategy of this even though it was cheap... I ended up having a high-ish speed Arbok with Wrap, and I consistantly used it all the time. Even used PP UP after activating the Missingno glitch also, so that the PP for Wrap would last much longer. It was an absolute killer attack back in R/B/Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back