• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Nail Biting

Sir Codin

I still bite my nails. Teeth are just much more convenient than a nail clipper, not to mention they're always on hand...or in mouth...whatever.

I do, however, clip my toe nails with a clipper.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
I've bitten my nails for as long as I can remember. There have been periods where I'd stop for a few months or so, then start back up again. I do not bite my nails based on a specific time or event, I just unconsciously do it.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
eat my cuticles...
a Codaq moment.

I chew my nails until it hurts to, especially when I'm nervous. I have really thick nails so it's a challenge and a joy. I've also used the edges of my teeth as a nail file numerous times.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I bite my nails when I'm nervous or bored, it's become quite an annoying habit. But it makes guitar playing easier when you have short nails all the time so I'm not too bothered, it just leads to some awkward social situations whilst sat in a room biting my nails with people around hehe.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I've never bitten or chewed my nails, and I don't understand how people begin that habit. My nails are fantastic though I keep forgetting to cut them which means they grow longer than is really appropriate for a boy :P

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I bite my nails so severely that they probably shorter than half a centimetre. I don't do it because I'm nervous, or hungry, but mainly when I'm bored.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
Years
i used to do it, like a LOT... but then i got braces when i was 15 and that stopped me biting them, cause i wasn't able to. i havent bit my nails since and now they grow incredibly long. X'D but it's easier to paint them when they're longer. :p

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I've never bitten my nails before and I'll never bite my nails throughout my life because this makes them look bad.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I've never bitten my nails, I wonder what causes people to do that. My question is, how do people bite off parts of their nails? I think if I tried it, I wouldn't even get through it.

Years
I bite my nails a lot, cos I easily get stressed.

If one looks at my nails you'll notice how short they look.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I don't, but I don't mind people who bite their nails.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Is it strange that I was actually biting them when I saw this thread?

And yes, I do it at random times, mostly out of boredom.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I don't bite them, never did and never will. There are lots of questions I ask those who do in my head: Don't you care about the health of your nails? About the residue of your bitten nails in your digestive system? About the condition of your teeth? Yeah, I understand it might be a nervous habit or out of boredom, but there are other things to chew on besides your nails right..? Anyways, yeah. Just my thoughts.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
I used to (as in, until last September or October) bite my nails constantly out of a compulsive grooming habit that left the poor things as stubs — it definitely wasn't an anxiety or boredom issue, considering I'd be playing Battlefield and chew my nails still, and I'm currently going through a very nervous part of my life. After that I'd just chew away at the cuticles until I couldn't use my fingers due to the pain. I hid my hands whenever I had the chance, too; try to keep people from seeing them.

But I've almost entirely stopped, and the actual biting is miniscule — I manage to catch myself and stop without a problem, though I can't help but feel the urge whenever I don't have a nail file on hand. I started painting my nails, grew them out enough to file them into a smooth curve, and now they're all nice and pretty. (Really long, too.)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I used to bite my nails as a kid and then graduated to sort of trying to file/tear them down with my teeth if they were bugging me. Sounds weird but makes sense in my head okay? ;_;' So I don't technically bite my nails anymore but I still quite often have to deal with short nails because of my actions.

Since I started painting my nails fairly regularly, though, I've had way fewer problems because the polish keeps the nails from snagging/damaging so often and I'm so much less likely to mess them up when it'll mess up the polish too. :P

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yeeeeeeeah, no. Like, not at all. I've never seen the appeal in biting nails: they presumably taste weird and the biting can't make them look at all presentable. And I don't really want to put my fingers in my mouth unless I'm eating fast food or a sandwich or something! When I get stressed and such, I'll fidget and tap my fingers on tables, but biting nails has never really entered into the equation for me.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
I am a subconscious nail biter and I have been since I was 4. I even do so sometimes in my sleep and it is my addiction. Even when I try not to, it is just really hard to resist for more than a month.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
*as I sit here biting my nails when I don't even realize it* ....

mine are bit to the quick, and I've been doing it my whole life. :/
I don't even realize myself doing until I'm bleeding V_V it's awful!

I also chew on plastic.
Pens and the little plastic rings around soda bottles being my worst habit

Last edited:
Back