• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Burgh vs Striation Gym Leaders!

Cilan/Cress/Chili or Burgh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Note: All of the Striation Gym Leaders will be counted and voted together as one, so you either vote for all three of them, or Burgh.

VSBurgh.png
6219A.png
VSCress.png
VSCilan.png
VSChili.png

Burgh
Ani544MS.png
Ani557MS.png
Ani542MS.png

Cress, Cilan & Chili
Ani506MS.png
Ani515MS.png
Ani511MS.png
Ani513MS.png

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
pokeball_gray.jpg
Both sides have advantages and disadvantages here, which leader do you see winning against Burgh and vice versa?
pokeball_gray.jpg
Which Gym Leader designs do you prefer?

pokeball_gray.jpg
Which monkey do you favor more?

Discuss, discuss, discuss!

Years
I voted for Cilan, Chili and Cress here cos I love how they are the first set of triplets to be Gym Leaders.

As for who would defeat Burgh, I'd say Chili since his Fire-types have an advantage against Burgh's Bug-types. Cilan would be at the biggest disadvantage while Cress would struggle against Burgh's Leavanny.

For designs, the triplets - but especially Cilan cos I love his personality in the anime.

As for the triplets' monkeys, my fave is Cress' Panpour cos I love Water-types best.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In terms of matchups, I went with Burgh. Despite the Striaton triplets' versatility, Burgh can beat them in different ways. All 3 of his Pokemon can handle Pansage, Dwebble can beat Pansear and Leavanny can defeat Panpour.

Aesthetically, I like the Striaton triplets for the aforementioned versatility. Cilan also has a bigger role in the anime.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
Matchup-wise, I'm going for the Striaton triplets on this one. While they may not have better Pokemon, the three of them can win against one cause of teamwork. The elemental monkeys could hold off on their own.

I like the trio's designs better, they really look good as chefs. It's heck of a way to be the first gym leader you'll face on Unova...

Chili has an advantage, for obvious reasons.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Forget the "who would win" scenario; we all know from the encounter for the first badge that the opponent is chosen based on who has the advantage. In other words, if Burgh walked in and challenged them, levels not being considered or assumed equal, the Fire type would take center stage and the triplets would win.

That said, I am voting for the triplets. My reason isn't for the battle, my reason is because I like the uniqueness of it; the Gym is a general type of Gym, but the opponent varies depending on who you play with as your starter, encouraging players to use their Monkey immediately.

Cyclone

Mentalii

Back
Years
The triplets seem to be character more interesting to my mind than Burgh. I prefer their design too.
Then, I like the idea of battling the monkey (and its trainer) who has the advantage over your starter Pokémon, while Burgh's team is just meh... And to tell the truth I don't really like it, it's pretty boring. Also, even it that doesn't really count, I prefered Striaton's gym, while the honey walls quickly annoyed me.

Years
I voted Burgh because it's a great challenge.

For the triplets I think it's too easy to beat them. You receive THE pokemon who has an advantage. Also, If they are really gym champion's, they don't need to take the better type in front of us. They should be strong enough to fight us.

Plus, Burgh have some good pokemon. It's the third champion and his pokemon have a little level to beat the 3...

I think it would be more interesting if we have to fight against the triplets. Begining with the type we have an advantage front. After go in front of the middle type. (we have no advantage and no handicap). And after, finish by the type we have a handicap. They respresent a real challenge in this case.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I think it would be more interesting if we have to fight against the triplets. Begining with the type we have an advantage front. After go in front of the middle type. (we have no advantage and no handicap). And after, finish by the type we have a handicap. They respresent a real challenge in this case.
So you suggest the entire Gym should just be the three of them, one behind each door. Interesting concept.

Cyclone

Years
Yes, I think it's not really hard to program this.

When you enter in the gym, you talk to the guide. He could respond something like : "Oh, your first pokemon is Fire /Grass / Water". After that we have a mooving arena just like the three versus three pokemon battle... (but mooving only to bring the champion in front of you. When you beat his team, You could moove to the next door...

And finally, you have the boos who have the better type than your... In this way, they all have a role to play. In the case of you play each game with a water pokemon you only fight against the grass champion... The others are just extras.

And to program, It's just a buckle to do (or to make, I'm hesitating).

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I voted for the Striaton Trio because I like their general designs better. Though in battle, Burgh would mop the floor with the lot of them because he has such a great level advantage. If any were to beat Burgh, it would be Chilli because of his type advantage. I like Cilan's design the best out of everyones, I think the green suits best and I thhink I have just got used to it after the anime. That, and I prefer Pansage more.

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Burghs bugs are a much better challenge then a Monkey and a puppy.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
To all of you who think that just because the idiot triplets have a Fire-type they will win, let me bring up this point to you: Burgh has a Dwebble, which is part Rock-type, and it knows Smack Down, a Rock-type move. Burgh also has 3 Pokemon, as opposed to the Triplets' two. Burgh would obliterate the triplets.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
While I do like Burgh with his artistic self, I'm gonna be voting for the triplets on this one, hehe~ Definitely like their designs more~

The level advantage is going to turn things in Burgh's favour automatically. Chili would have the best chance against him but would have trouble with Dwebble, Cress would have the advantage against said Dwebble, and... poor Cilan wouldn't have an advantage at all.

And Pansear. Fire is one of my two favourite types, so Pansear would have an advantage over the other two in the favourites department XD

Years
I personally couldn't decide, so I voted randomly! I ended up choosing the triplets. Here's why I couldn't decide...

While Burgh has the levels, the triplets have more pokemon (I'm presuming each one has a lillipup, so 6 pokemon in total) I think it really comes down to which pokemon each one sends out first. If the type matchup is in favor of the triplets (say whirlipede vs pansear) I could easily seeing them pulling through. If Burgh decides to switch to say, dwebble to use rocks, and pansear used work-up, it may be faster and be able to use incinerate. Or, save pansear to take care of leavanny and just use panpour. The lillipups can be used to switch into when the triplets need to heal, and so could panpour as it has a type disadvantage. Although the lillipups could be a small force to reckon with.

But, Burgh does have the level advantage, and with the right start-up, he could dominate the triplets, especially if he's able to dispose of pansear.

I just think each gym leader(s) could potentially win it.

As for favorite? Probably Chili, although Cilan is cool too. I like Chili's personality/hair a lot. My favorite monkey is probably pansear because it's the cutest/I like it's pose the best. As for their evolutions, I like Simisage as it has a cool fro/looks the best.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Good responses here, guys! n_____n

Personally I dislike the triplets so I favour Burgh, but I think he might have a bit of an issue against them. Technically he does have all he needs to win (as mentioned, rock > fire, bug > grass and grass > grass) but Lillipup is p powerful I WOULDN'T GET IN ITS WAY though that's by personal preference :3; sooo I'd probably say Burgh could do it if it were against one at a time but against all three, probably the Triples sadly.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Good responses here, guys! n_____n

Personally I dislike the triplets so I favour Burgh, but I think he might have a bit of an issue against them. Technically he does have all he needs to win (as mentioned, rock > fire, bug > grass and grass > grass) but Lillipup is p powerful I WOULDN'T GET IN ITS WAY though that's by personal preference :3; sooo I'd probably say Burgh could do it if it were against one at a time but against all three, probably the Triples sadly.

I agree, I never reall warmed up to the triplets as much as I did with Burgh. I think in battle, Burgh could pull it off as I'd expect he'd have more skill, being supposedly older and more experience than the triplets, but that's not entriely confirmed.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
To all of you who think that just because the idiot triplets have a Fire-type they will win, let me bring up this point to you: Burgh has a Dwebble, which is part Rock-type, and it knows Smack Down, a Rock-type move. Burgh also has 3 Pokemon, as opposed to the Triplets' two. Burgh would obliterate the triplets.

You know, obviously in a matchup they'd fight with evenly matched Pokés... And the triplets use Water-type which murders Dwebble.

I'd go for the triplets, they're a reasonable challenge for being the first gym. Burgh should've been the second gym, he's too weak. Whirlipede can't do anything, Dwebble sucks, and if you have one of Pignite/Darumaka/Tranquill, heck even Woobat, Leavanny dies a horrible death.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oops forgot to unsticky this! Well, disappointing that Burgh loses, but oh well! I think it might be a good idea to have a short break on weekly polls, so for any of your suggestions on them or anything, post right here! However, if Kaori feels there's worth in going straight back into them, we will, but I'm not sure how she feels about it.

CONTINUE DISCUSSING BURGH AND THE STRIATON LEADERS IF YOU'D LIKE!

Back