• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
The Official Nuzlocke Challenge

Rules

• Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released (or boxed, never to see the light of day again).
  • You may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. (Can be adjusted to ban duplicate captures.)
  • Trading is disallowed, but the reasons following this clause are allowed. Egg trading is okay, same thing with Pokemon that can't have eggs. (optional) Trading simply for the purpose of evolution is perfectly fine.
Optional:
  • You must nickname all of your Pokemon. (highly recommended)
  • A black out/white is a "game over," even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.
  • You must change the battle style to SET.
  • After the first wild Pokémon was caught, you must release your starter.
  • You may not heal outside the use of Pokémon Centres and moves such as Softboiled.
  • You may not heal outside of healing items and moves such as Softboiled.
  • You may not heal outside of battle.
  • You may only have (whichever number you like) Pokémon Centre visit per town.
  • You may not use held items.
  • You may only buy a (whichever number you like) amount of PokéBalls per PokéMart.
  • You may only use PokéBalls.
  • You may not use/catch legendary Pokémon.
  • Make comics of your challenge and have fun! (strongly recommended)
These are the most common ones, but feel free to adjust your challenge to fit you. Use as many optional rules as you like.

Sign-up

Username:
Game:

Example:
Username: vaporeon7
Game: Red

Current Challengers

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Champions

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Helpful Links and Userbars

Previous Thread
Official Nuzlocke Site (warning, comics contain crude language)
Nuzlocke's Bulbapedia Page
Smogon's Nuzlocke Article

By Huggermugger:
nuzlocke.png

ultimate.png

333MS.png

If you are mid-challenge, just post the sign up form again, and update from where you are at. If you have completed a challenge in the past, VM me and I'll add you to the list. Don't post in the thread about it.
333MS.png

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is already a Nuzlocke Challenge thread.
The old one was locked, so that's why it was started again.

My signup:

Username: jdthebud
Game: FireRed Omega (man this is gonna be hard...)

the only optional rules I will use is killing all legendaries and no status healing items (HP ones are fine). Also no duplicates.

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Huggermugger, Fire Red

Only optional thing is no legendaries and no duplicates

Also, I mocked up some quick userbars if you want to use them.

nuzlocke.png

ultimate.png

Update #1

Name: Huggs
Rival: Muggs
Started: Lifeblood the Bulbasaur

Lifeblood took out the first three Gym Leaders essentially single-handedly. I hadn't planned to use him for Surge, but both the Diglett and the Meowth (that I taught Dig) that I was training up for the fight both got killed. That's really all the supplementary notes I have so far aside from the lists below.

Catch List:
Spoiler:

R.I.P:
Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Active Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
My first update on Fire Red Omega.

Name: JD
Rival: Blue
Starter: Zappy the Elekid

So far I have defeated the first three gyms. Brock went donw easily to Benny the Treeko and Torres the Mudkip, Misty was defeated by Benny (Grovyle) and Zappy (Electabuzz), and Surge was beat mostly by Torres (Marshtomp).

I don't have any screens, but here is my encounter list:

Spoiler:

R.I.P:
Spoiler:

Team JD:
Spr_3f_002.png

Dijon the Naive Ivysaur, ♂ - Lv. 24
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Razor Leaf, Take Down, Sleep Powder, PoisonPowder
Spr_3r_259.png

Torres the Hardy Marshtomp, ♂ - L27
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Mud Shot, Mega Punch, Water Gun, Growl
Spr_3f_125.png

Zappy the Mild Electabuzz, ♂ - L27
Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves: ThunderPunch, Ice Punch, Karate Chop, Quick Attack
Spr_3r_281.png

Tron the Impish Kirlia, ♂ - L27
Ability: Synchronize
Moves: Psychic, Calm Mind, Magical Leaf, Teleport​

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
[SIZE="a"]EarthWolfblade, Emerald

Only optional is nicknaming and no duplicates[/SIZE]

KadabraK

pokeboy
Years
  • Age 28
  • ohio
  • Seen Mar 29, 2020
Username: KadabraK
Game: Fire Red

Sorry for not breaking a trend in games, I really want to do this in Fire Red. I will start tomorrow and post progress :).

Years
Username: Awkwardgaming
Game: Pokemon Emerald
First challenge here,
Doing all rules except for the poke center/mart limiter.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Username: ZetaZaku
Game: Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Pearl, White
So Ultimate challenge it is~

Optional:
-You must nickname all of your Pokemon. (highly recommended)
-
You may not use/catch legendary Pokémon.
-
You may not heal outside the use of Pokémon Centres and moves such as Softboiled.
-
A black out/white is a "game over," even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.
-No held items
My optional:
-In the spirit of the comic, you must hunt down and kill all legendary
Pokémon that are easily available in the game (like Mewtwo and the birds in Kanto, Lugia and Ho-Oh in Johto, Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza in Hoenn etc) except for roaming (can be done, but time consuming), those who require a National Dex and some specific Pokemon (like Relicanth) and event Pokemon.

For a first Nuzlocke challenge, item ban is enough. Hope I don't regret it.

Blue Nuzlocke updates:
Spoiler:

Silver Nuzlocke updates:
Spoiler:

Sapphire Nuzlocke updates:

Pearl Nuzlocke updates:
Update 1
Update 2

Last edited:
Years
Username:tomreaper
Game:blue

I read the comics of the original and i couldn't stop laughing.. lost references just killed me

Optional Rules:
You must nickname all of your Pokemon. (highly recommended)
A black out/white is a "game over," even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.
You may not heal outside the use of Pokémon Centres and moves such as Softboiled.
Make comics of your challenge and have fun! (strongly recommended)<maybe

this should be fun. hoping to go through each gen.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
FireRed Update #2

Erika was taken out by Percival and Koga was taken care of by Victor the Venomoth. I was really bummed out to lose MoreDots the Onix to my rival at Silph Co., she was the best. I was planning out how awesome she was gonna be in the E4 :(

Catch List:
Spoiler:

R.I.P:
Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

The Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • =/
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013

Username: Gerokunz
Game: Ruby

Optional Rules

- Nickname all my Pokemon.
- Battle Style to SET.
- I don't use legenaries.

Update #1

Current Team

Haley the Treecko Lv.13
Pound
Leer
Absorb
Quick Attack

Billy the Zigzagoon Lv.10
Tackle
Growl
Tail Whip
Headbutt

I beat Roxanne now. Read the spoiler.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
Name: MrRocket515
Game: Sapphire
Other rules: black out is game over unless there are Pokemon in the PC
All pokemon must be nicknamed.

rew_s11

ERROR 404
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2016
I have a nuzlocke in progress(HG)

didnt got a single badge yet.
team:

rattata lv 9(route 32)
zubat lv 6 (dark cave)
chikorita lv 10
butterfree lv 10 (route 31)

boxed: rattata lv 4 (sprout tower)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Update 1:

Main Hero: JEFFREY
Rival: DOGARS
Starter: SGT. FROG the Bulbasaur

- The Rival battle was a close call and was won with only 1HP left.
- No luck in Route 1 as a Wild Lv. 3 Pidgey appeared before I could buy Poke Balls. I could avoid all encounters while I was going to Viridian City, but I didn't have much luck on my way back.
- Praying for a Nidoran, I went to Route 22 after buying some Poke Balls, and of course, no luck there as I got a Lv. 3 Ratata. Named it TOOTHY.
- Before grinding, I decided to catch my third Pokemon on Route 2 and I accidentaly caught a Pidgey. I released it and decided to skip that area as a punishment.
- After training TOOTHY (up to Lv. 10) and SGT. FROG (up to Lv. 11) a bit, I decided to take on my Rival on Route 22. DOGARS had no chance against my team.
- Next stop was Viridian Forest. I had the luck to encounter and catch a Lv. 4 Metapod and named it BUTTERS. Since it's not really a problem to switch it out for 50 battles, I trained it up to Lv. 9 in the Viridian Forest and decided to take on the first Gym.
- With BUTTERS (Lv.9), TOOTHY (Lv.11) and SGT. FROG (Lv.13), I challenged the gym. Since I picked the Grass starter, the gym was easy and I defeated all trainers with SGT. FROG and leveled him to Lv.15.
- On Route 3, after battling the first Youngster, SGT. FROG leveled to Lv. 16 and evolved to Ivysaur. Shortly after that, after battling the second Lass, BUTTERS leveled to Lv. 10 and evolved to Butterfree.
- At the end of the Route, I tried my luck in the grass and got myself a Lv. 7 Spearow and named it LANCER.
- As Mt. Moon is full of Zubats with occasional Geodude and Paras, I decided to train Butterfree via switch out until it learns Confusion at Lv. 12. First encounter was a Lv. 7 Zubat, caught it and named it BATTOMAN. Deposit material I guess.
- Inside Mt. Moon, it was easy until I reached the last trainer. His Koffing poisoned my Butterfree so I had to use Escape Rope due to heal ban and then had to walk through the cave again. Surprisingly, there were no encounters on the first floor.
- After leaving Mt. Moon, I tried my luck in the grass on Route 4. Caught a Lv. 8 Sandshrew and named it MR.SANDMAN.
- Entered Cerulean City, healed my Pokemon and saved.

Progress:
109af52d58395fd24c24d51.png

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Jacinth

~Darling~
Years
Username: Jacinth
Game: Heart Gold

Optional Rules:
You must nickname all of your Pokemon.
A black out/white is a "game over," even if there are Pokémon left in the PC

I was going to do comics, but I'm too lazy, so maybe another time. XD

Last edited:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Update 2:

-Trained my weak members until Lv. 19
-Took DOGARS on. MR.SANDMAN took care of him. All Pokemon were Lv. 19.
-On Route 24, I encountered a Wild Lv. 10 Abra but didn't manage to catch it.
-After battling all the trainers, TOOTHY evolved after battling the 3rd Lass.
-Gym battle was easy as I had a Grass starter. SGT. FROG massacred Misty's gym and her Pokemon.
-First encounter in Route 5 was a Wild Lv. 16 Bellsprouth. I caught it and named TEHO.
-While walking through the grass, I encountered a Pidgey and LANCER evolved into Fearow.
-In Route 6, I caught a Lv. 14 Meowth and named it MEETS.
-Bug Catcher with a Butterfree crippled my team so I had to go all the way back to Cerulean City to heal.
-Tried my luck in Diglett's Cave and accidentally 1HKOed a Lv. 18 Diglett.
-My team when entering S.S.Anne was: TOOTHY Lv. 21, MR.SANDMAN Lv. 21, BUTTERS Lv. 20, LANCER Lv. 21 and SGT. FROG Lv. 23.
-After fighting a Lass in the 2nd room, MR.SANDMAN evolved into Sandslash.
-When BUTTERS was trying to learn Supersonic, I accidentally erased Confusion, so BUTTERS was rendered useless for a while.
-When I battled DOGARS, my team was: TOOTHY Lv. 22, MR.SANDMAN Lv. 23, BUTTERS Lv. 23, LANCER Lv. 22 and SGT. FROG Lv. 24. After the battle, MR.SANDMAN reached Lv. 24
-Gym battle was once again easy and MR.SANDMAN took care of the whole gym.
-On Route 11, I caught a Lv. 13 Drowze and named him Pedro.
-After beating all trainers on Route 11, I went to Route 9 and defeated everyone there too.
-I managed to catch a Lv. 14 Voltorb on Route 9 and named him BALL.
-In the Tunnel, I accidentally defeated the first Pokemon I saw, so I didn't notice it's level. It was a Machop.
-The Tunnel was full of hardships and I had to use MR.SANDMAN's Dig a few times. Since the cave was full of Zubats and Machops, it was a good training spot for PEDRO. Sadly, he only grew 8 levels and at Lv. 21, it stood no chance to Geodude's Selfdestruct.
-After arriving at Lavender Town, I decided to go to the Tower and battle DOGARS. His Gyarados was a tough one and it murdered my Lv. 25 TOOTHY with Hydropump. My team was: TOOTHY Lv. 25, MR.SANDMAN Lv. 27. BUTTERS Lv. 26, LANCER Lv. 26 and SGT. FROG Lv. 28.
-In Celadon city I picked up Eevee Lv. 25 and gave her a Fire Stone to evolve to Flareon. I named it FEEVEE.
-Rocket's hideout wasn't much of a threat and I defeated all grunts with ease. Of course, I had to go to the Pokecenter once in a while, so MR.SANDMAN's Dig was useful.
-My team against Giovanni was: FEEVEE Lv. 26, MR.SANDMAN Lv. 29, BUTTERS Lv. 29, LANCER Lv. 29 and SGT. FROG Lv. 29. He stood no chance to MR.SANDMAN who gained a level afterwards.
-Erika's gym was no big deal thanks to LANCER. He easily destroyed the whole gym and gained 4 levels.
-After the gym battle, I went to Route 16 and caught a Lv. 18 Doduo and named it DOOD.
-I caught a Lv. 22 Gastly and named it GAZZ in Pokemon Tower, and after a battle with Channeler it evolved to Haunter. With GAZZ and LANCER in my team, the Tower was no big deal and I easily defeated all trainers and Team Rocket and saved Mr. Fuji.

Progress:
b59c2449ea242586bf444f2.png

Team:
Spoiler:

RIP
Spoiler:

Box
Spoiler:

Jacinth

~Darling~
Years
Update 1

-Went to Elm's Lab and chose Cyndaquil. Named him POWELL.
-Traveled through Route 29. Gained a few levels.
-Went through Cherrygrove. Got the map card and running shoes. Healed at the Pokemon Center and then bought a few potions.
-Traveled to Mr. Pokemon's house. Got the Apricorn Box and gained levels on the way.
-Gave Mr. Pokemon the egg. Met Proffesor Oak, got the Pokedex.
-Began to head back to New Bark Town, and ran into my rival (Silver). Beat his Totodile easily with POWELL at Lv.8.
-Met with Proffesor Elm. Got Mom to save my money.
-Headed back out on Route 29. Astonishingly, I found a Shiny Sentret.(I was spazzing out, no kidding!) Caught him with ease, and named him JOEY.
-Went on Route 46 and caught a Geodude. Named her ROCKETTE. (Lol, cheesy name.)
-Grinded a bit. Got POWELL to LV.9, JOEY to LV.8, and ROCKETTE to lv.6.
-Entered Violet City and began to climb through Sprout Tower. ROCKETTE was taken out by a LV. 3 Bellsprout, which quickly met its doom. RIP ROCKETTE
-Battled the Elder and Joey sweeped through him at just LV. 10. He gained 2 levels.
-Went on Route 32 and found a Hoppip. Caught her and named her PIPPY.
-Challenged the Gym Leader. PIPPY grew 4 levels by switching out, and POWELL got to LV.13. Defeated him without much difficulty, as POWELL burned his Pidgeotto.
-Got the egg from Elm's Aide. Met the kimono girl.

And that's where I'll leave off!

Team
Spoiler:

Body Count:1
Geodude, Rockette

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2012
Username: HBK_ANGEL
Game: Blue
Optional:
You may not use/catch legendary Pokémon
You must nickname all of your Pokemon.