• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
It's interesting the stuff you can do with this, i made a building in the first town in diamond like super tall. Hopefully you figure out how to modify tiles and such. I'm not too active in the rom hacking scene, i prefer to program my own engines but whats the current state with event scripting in nds pokemon games right now? I'm curious as to how it changed from previous gba games.

Kaphotics

♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2018
Whats the current state with event scripting in nds pokemon games right now? I'm curious as to how it changed from previous gba games.

PPRE can edit 4th gen scripts; 5th gen scripts there is no editor yet. However, Drayano and I and a few other users have been able to edit 5th gen scripts by hand (our youtube channels have examples).

People are so attracted to the already developed gen3 hacking scene... genV is by far better in terms of capability and simplicity,it just doesn't get the love it should :)

As far as differences, it's pretty much the same. Only difference is that the command hexes are different, so Gen IV is different from V; and localizations have extra commands as well which shift the rest.

===

One thing I noticed is that the bottom-right corner Drag to Resize functionality isn't really working. I click&drag and nothing happens :\ Making it fullscreen still works. Win7 64bit Ultimate

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Good news! I've got textures to work in the 3D renderer. That means the program is one step closer to true map editing! Take a look at it:

Spoiler:

More updates coming soon!

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
So awsome spiky keep up the good work. When do you think we have a map editor??

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2024
Good news! I've got textures to work in the 3D renderer. That means the program is one step closer to true map editing!
This is truly good news. Can you break it down for us on how the map editor is going to function? What are your plans and do you think you have the skill set atm to do this? That would be awesome if you set ur goals on here so we can all look ahead and advise you with our wise words. Thanks.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Good news! I've got textures to work in the 3D renderer. That means the program is one step closer to true map editing! Take a look at it:

Spoiler:

More updates coming soon!

This is excellent, I knew it could be achieved. I wonder if it will be able to load the prototype textures on the 3D renderer in D/P/Pt? 'Cause I know NSBMD crashes with those textures loaded. Maybe you could also have an area where you select the texture to use for the 3D view function, and maybe even change which NSBTX it uses?

I'm planning on installing Windows 8 on a different partition so it can run alongside Windows 7, I assume that the reason why the editor isn't saving is probably because of the different Windows operating system it's built on.

Is anyone else finding SDSME saving the ROM... but not any of the changes? 'Cause when I edited the headers and then saved them, they didn't make any changes to the ROM.

Last edited:

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
This is excellent, I knew it could be achieved. I wonder if it will be able to load the prototype textures on the 3D renderer in D/P/Pt? 'Cause I know NSBMD crashes with those textures loaded. Maybe you could also have an area where you select the texture to use for the 3D view function, and maybe even change which NSBTX it uses?

That's what I'm working on. The 3D view will have a combobox where you'll be able to choose the tileset to load the model with, including Tileset 0 which is the beta one. It shouldn't crash, but you may get glitched textures.

EDIT: I've finished the texture thing and added a preliminary tileset viewer (which will later become an editor). Version 1.4.0 available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kq77b55j47mr18l

Last edited:

YORAMRW

8-bit producer & Pokémon GB music hacker
Years
HELP!!!!!! The program doesn't work with me!!! There appeared an error message:

A part of the pad C:\{{FILES}}\SDSME140\Data\game.nds cannot be find

And I HAVE placed a DPPtHgHs ROM in the ''Date'' directory and named it ''game''!!!
HELP!!!!!! What can I do!?!?!

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019

And I HAVE placed a DPPtHgHs ROM in the ''Date'' directory and named it ''game''!!!

Don't place anything there. That file is the temp file used by the tool to write changes before saving the full rom. Try copying the tool to a folder with a full path that contains no spaces and open the tool again. I'm already working on a fix for this, but for now you'll have to use that workaround. Sorry!

Platinum Lucario

Years
Since SDSME is unable to save for anyone, I would recommend waiting for a solution to the problem or waiting for a new version. I've tried using SDSME on multiple operating systems, they still won't save anything with the header data. Marc, I would suggest installing a completely fresh install of Windows 7 or 8 on a different partition, install the .NET Framework 4, then try changing the weather header for Twinleaf Town (T01) on SDSME so you can then see what the problem I'm having. Perhaps I'm missing some .dll file or .ocx file? If that's the case, can you please tell me what it is? Thanks!

Yep, that's exactly the problem I had while running it on a Windows XP operating system, though it was SDSME120 at that time.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have rewritten the code that loads and saves ROMs. Now it's safer than before, and it should work in the next version.

The next version will also include translation support (Spanish will be available) and an OBJ exporter (you won't have to use MKDS Course Modifier anymore) :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
You've been doing some really nice work on this tool.
Will you be able to implement an OBJ importer?

Platinum Lucario

Years
I have rewritten the code that loads and saves ROMs. Now it's safer than before, and it should work in the next version.

The next version will also include translation support (Spanish will be available) and an OBJ exporter (you won't have to use MKDS Course Modifier anymore) :)
Yay! That's excellent! I could also suggest that the 3D Viewer could also have a unique feature in which the 3D viewer shows the NSBTX automatically accordingly to what the ARM9 tells which one it's using, even though you can change which NSBTX the model uses to kind of experiment with each NSBTX.
You've been doing some really nice work on this tool.
Will you be able to implement an OBJ importer?
That would indeed take quite a while, though it can be done... but expect some glitches with the NSBMD that is inserted into the ROM. ;)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have great news: the .OBJ exporter is done! It's based on MKDS Course Modifier, just like the 3D renderer. To export a map as OBJ, click on "Export" and change the format to "Wavefront OBJ" (it's been added below the usual NSBMD). Textures will be exported if a tileset is opened. Here's a model from HGSS imported in Blender:

blendermap.png

The new version will be released after I add many other new features, including a native version of the building viewer. Please be patient, I want to make this tool as much bug-free as I can so everybody can enjoy it! :)

Rocket-Dock

Dragonite Trainer
Years
Awesome!
I can't wait for editing BW maps (If you was planning to make it).
Is it also possible to save models separately? Likes I only want to export the player's house in New Bark Town.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2024
I have great news: the .OBJ exporter is done!
What does this mean? We can export maps and edit them in a program like Blender? Or is to just edit objects? I'd like an explanation from someone with some knowledge of this. Explain everything to me ;)

Back