• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U/Nintendo 3DS)

Years
"Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" is being released for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS platforms simultaneously ion March 19th 2013. It is a re-release/majorfrigginupdate to the 2010 Wii release "Monster Hunter Tri"

Here is a trailer which does a better job describing the game then I could

Spoiler:

Is anyone hyped for this game? (I certainty am)

Which system would you buy it for? If you are a Nintendo 3DS owner, would you rather wait until "Monster Hunter 4" comes out exclusive to that system?

I know for sure I'll be saving up my money to get a Wii U for this title. I really hope this is the system seller that Nintendo has been needing.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Pre-Ordered as a Christmas Gift. Didn't Even know they got it for me. It was on my list, but they forgot to tell me until latter.

Been anticipating this game since this time last year. Never played monster hunter before, but it looks like fun!

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I've been aware of this since October last year. There was a thread for it around the time, actually.
I never got Tri since buying a Wii solely for it is a bit silly, and Unite is obviously rather stale and complete by now... yes, I'm one of these people whom can solo G-rank... not gracefully, mind. Mostly sword & shield these days, if you're wondering, which pits me more against the quest timer than the monsters. On that note, I understand that MH games are easier since Tri (ie. hitboxes aren't absurd) and essentially more solo-friendly, with different weapon types being more balanced in terms of damage potential and hunts taking less time, so that's something I've always looked forward to as a solo player... not that I'm a solo player by choice, it's just that the only consoles I own are portable. I'd be on Frontier, if only...

If your a Nintendo 3DS owner, would you rather wait until "Monster Hunter 4" comes out exclusive to that system?
You're. Anyway, I'm not holding out on the notion that MH4 will ever actually get localised, so no. If anything, I imagine the likelihood of that depends on how well MH3U sells. I do find the new 'insect controlling stick' weapon intriguing so I hope it (or its G edition) does get localised.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Yeah, it took a LOT of wishful thinking just to get MH3U on the 3DS in U.S. Capcom said at first they would not localize it. I have no idea what changed their minds.

Years
Anyway, I'm not holding out on the notion that MH4 will ever actually get localised, so no.

Well if it counts for anything, any main released Numbered Title (The Original, II, and Tri) have all been localized so far. Although the way Capcom has been lately, I suppose it is not to far of a stretch to assume that they might not bring it to America. Though a lot of miracle titles have made it onto Nintendo systems already. (Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story). I'm fairly sure we will see the game announced for next year. I mean granted, that's just speculation.

I also run sword and shield, I've played mostly Tri because I don't own a PSP, although I was introduced to the series through Freedom 2, and than later Unite. Although now that they are bringing back the full set of weapons (Duel Blades, Bow and Arrow, Hunting Horn, and Gunlance.) I might return to the Bow (my mainstay from Freedom 2). I do have to say that I'm a little disappointed that they are bringing back the old ranged weapon crafting, and removing the Medium Bowgun.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I do expect 4 to come over (given the most recent localization announcements, the success of Tri, and the hype for Tri Ultimate, I don't see a reason to worry), and as such, I'm not sure if I'll get Tri G (Ultimate), especially since I already have Tri on the Wii. However, since the servers are going off this Summer, I might buy Tri G on the Wii U and get MH4 on the 3DS when it comes out.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Well if it counts for anything, any main released Numbered Title (The Original, II, and Tri) have all been localized so far. Although the way Capcom has been lately, I suppose it is not to far of a stretch to assume that they might not bring it to America. Though a lot of miracle titles have made it onto Nintendo systems already. (Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story). I'm fairly sure we will see the game announced for next year. I mean granted, that's just speculation.
MH2 was never localised. Capcom has always been funny about Monster Hunter.

I also run sword and shield, I've played mostly Tri because I don't own a PSP, although I was introduced to the series through Freedom 2, and than later Unite. Although now that they are bringing back the full set of weapons (Duel Blades, Bow and Arrow, Hunting Horn, and Gunlance.) I might return to the Bow (my mainstay from Freedom 2). I do have to say that I'm a little disappointed that they are bringing back the old ranged weapon crafting, and removing the Medium Bowgun.
Sad that they're pulling medium bowguns and an entire bowgun mechanic; there needs to be more variety in ranged weapons and that was one way to achieve it. I've always thought some kind of high-mobility semi-melee boomerang weapon would be cool to see in the future.

I actually started with longswords since I found them easiest to use from the get-go, but S&S's balance of attack/defence/mobility later won me over, especially since longswords are harder to be really good with (though I imagine it's been easier since Tri with the ability to fade slash to the sides). I have a lot of respect for anyone who can use a gunlance properly.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I use a Switch Axe, which is ironic since at the beginning I was the type of guy that said, "I like the mobility of the Sword and Shield; I probably won't use any other weapons!"

Then I made a Switch Axe. Never switched back.

I realize that I have to diversify, though. I only have one good weapon in Tri, and I've only had one good weapon for several double digit HR ranks (largely because most of my resources are used for armor and my current weapon.

Anyone have suggestions for a new weapon? I'll probably start with a different weapon in Tri G or 4 so that I don't become too attached.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I use a Switch Axe, which is ironic since at the beginning I was the type of guy that said, "I like the mobility of the Sword and Shield; I probably won't use any other weapons!"

I realize that I have to diversify, though. I only have one good weapon in Tri, and I've only had one good weapon for several double digit HR ranks (largely because most of my resources are used for armor and my current weapon.

Anyone have suggestions for a new weapon? I'll probably start with a different weapon in Tri G or 4 so that I don't become too attached.
If you don't like projectiles, go for the long sword if you don't want to use the Switch Axe anymore. If you don't mind heavy weapons the hammer is great as well. But if you want speed mixed with some cool, use the dual swords, my personal favorite addition for 3U. Gunlance is all sorts of complicated, and I absolutely hate it. I cannot absolutely wait to buy it on the Wii U, 3DS I'm gonna pass. I don't play the 3DS much outside, and I'm not paying double for a game I can play online at home.

Years

well, considering the two weapons you've tried before, I'd recommend Long Sword or Duel Blades. I personally sub with a Lance, but it's a very acquired taste for someone that uses high mobility weapons. I will say though I prefer using the Lance in underwater combat as opposed to on land. I'd stay away from the Hammer, Hunting Horn, and Gunlance. It's all down to the preference though.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020

Longsword or greatsword should be easy to get into, since the switch axe's two modes are somewhat similar to each.
If you want something really different: (gun)lance. If you played S&S long enough then some intuition for blocking may carry over, but the usual rolling evade won't. Normal lances are easier because combos are simpler and the weapon is somewhat more mobile; I found them easy to get into after watching AzureStarStone on YouTube.

Ideally, make basic versions of every weapon and play low rank quests (or free hunt? I'm not familiar with that feature) with them.
If it's any help: my main (melee) weapon usage has generally encompassed the lance, S&S, and longsword, covering a spectrum from immobile defence to mobile offence, respectively.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
It looks really cool! Though as a 3ds user I think I'm gonna wait for Monster Hunter 4. I hate how the console is region locked because I'm gonna have to import a region 1 copy, unfortunately.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Thinking about getting it. Never played MH before but seen my friend play it a fair bit and I liked the demo. Mostly depends on uni and money though. =p

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
This game sold the Wii U for me alone, as the 3DS version is local only for some reason. Not to mention, I'm already okay with portable 3rd as being my portable MH experience. Also, my 3DS is very worn out.

So, what weapon do you think you're going to use? I think I'll use the Gunlance the most seeing how it got a huge upgrade in P3rd and became more flexible. I'll also be giving the Hammer and Hunting Horn a try due to how interesting they look.

I will also be using all the other weapons as well occasionally.

Digital Eevee

Team Digi-Eon
Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2013
Been playing the demo on both Wii U and 3DS almost constantly.
Rocking out with the Duel Swords But I'll probably try to get as many varied weapons as I can.
Unlike Tri you get one of each weapon when you start so I'll probably just upgrade all of them to begin with.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
Eeeeeeeehhh, this is difficult, don't have a 3DS, wasn't planning on getting a WiiU... don't want to buy a console just for one game...

Why can't they just release one for PC or something? I think I have all of them for PSP, but Tri kind of lost me. Monster Hunter just doesn't seem so easily accessible now, which is a shame with it being such a good franchise. I heard there was one released for the 360 in Japan, or something, but I don't think I ever found out if it was true or not.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Why can't they just release one for PC or something?
Frontier is a PC release, but to my knowledge the Japanese version is IP-locked to Japan. People were able to play the Korean version for free so long as they could provide a Korean social security number, but apparently the servers for it are no longer online. No doubt Capcom are afraid of competing with WoW in the West... which they wouldn't really have to do since MH has no real similarities to it. I wonder why they haven't released it globally as free to play.

I heard there was one released for the 360 in Japan, or something, but I don't think I ever found out if it was true or not.
Frontier got a 360 release in 2010.

Last edited:

Princess Sandshrew

PokéRespect
Years
I first played Monster Hunter on the ps2 and was lost very quickly and didn't give it much of a chance. Years later I bought MHFU and still couldn't get into it but I really liked the idea of the game.
I gave the series another try with MHP3rd and this one I really enjoy. It may help that I understand what I am doing from the very start, since before the games didn't seem to tell me what the 'goal' was.

Now that I have recently been offered a job I can look at getting a WiiU and MH3U, and for once I shall be able to play online, something I've wanted to do for a long time.
I will likely be getting the 3DS version also since I've learned to enjoy MH on handheld and will most likely want to spend most time on that version.

The only game I have given more than two chances, I do hope MH3U will not disappoint me.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I bought the game, but do not have it yet. I've been playing the Logombi mission demo over and over.

It says this one is easy, but I can't beat it. The 20 minute timer isn't enough for me. The Demo does nothing to tell you what all the buttons do.

I had the best run the sword and shield. Got far enough that the monster had trouble getting up after sliding around.

The hardest part is that the monster keeps sliding right past me and off my screen. I have to stop moving to turn the camera. I hear there is a Lock on feature, but the game doesn't tell you squat.

My "favorite" thing is when a text box of dialogue pops up and disappears, you never have time to read it. It doesn't seem important anyway. Looks like gibberish. Why even put it on screen if I can't read it. And the box is too small to begin with.

I actually LIKE this game
, despite all the complains I made. I'll have to read a FAQ to tell me why it is taking me so long to kill this Logombi.

Back