• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Merge General Entertainment and Video Games

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Because... why not? I'm not vouching for this to happen but the notion occured and I thought I'd provoke the community about it.

Also please someone edit GE's description to include 'sports' in the list; a considerable number of sports threads end up there.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Because both sections are very active and each cover a huge range of topics; merging them would be entirely irrational. Aside from being vaguely related I can't see anything that would warrant merging them, especially on a forum with a huge community of gamers. What positives would you expect to arise from a merge?

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Because both sections are very active and each cover a huge range of topics; merging them would be entirely irrational. Aside from being vaguely related [...]
Vaguely related? Video games are a very subcategory, if you will, of entertainment.

[...] I can't see anything that would warrant merging them, especially on a forum with a huge community of gamers.
Then, the number of exclusive gamers here is disproportionately significant enough that they remain seperate?

What positives would you expect to arise from a merge?
None, personally, but neither any negatives provided the whole two sections were reworked as one instead of literally merged. I started this thread to see if anyone else could think of any.

Years
Yep, gaming is just the most salient aspect of entertainment that we felt like it deserved its own section. It's usually more active than GE anyways. Pokemon is a subcategory of entertainment, we're not going to stick the rest of PC into GE eh? XD

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I really don't see a point in this, because not only will it not bring any good, it'll just give us one really friggin crowded section.

Years
Yes, they're both various forms of entertainment, but there's subtle differences. Being an online, gaming-oriented community, it doesn't make sense to throw all on that together in one gigantic section. Video games as a topic, is broad enough to stand on its own. So is GE. Putting them togther would be a unintelligible mess. Imagine the clutter. And the section would need literally 5 mods to handle all that. I'm all for re-organizing and repurposing forums if there's a need, but I don't see the logic in this one.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I can see the reasoning and the logic behind it, but since the main topic on this site (Pokémon) is more remotely related to video games than entertainment in general, I'm sure it warrants its own forum. This is because of the fact that no doubt many Pokémon gamers are gamers in general, and play all kinds of "trendy" games.

For example, a forum based on basketball would have "sports" as its own standoff forum because it's more closer to basketball itself.

I totally agree about the sports part, though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Pokémon Manga/Comics merged with Pokémon General even though manga clearly is a different topic of its own distinction. That's not always what matters. What matters is if people here want to talk about it or not.

If we saw a huge, steady influx of people having fruitful and interesting discussions about food, to the point that food-topics flooded pokemon general CC&P and D&D and FC&G, we would probably think about starting a Culinary Discussions section. Demand and supply is the key.

Video Games is an active section, thus there's not really a need to merge it with something else.

Years
Both VG and GE are more active sections than my section (T&I), and my section gets enough activity to warrant its own topics and discussion, so I'm against the idea of the merger simply because there are enough topics to warrant the separation and that the two sections have enough activity already.

Back