• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it illegal to download a ROM image of a game you already own?

Years
I've been reading some conflicting information about this, so maybe someone here could help me clear this up. I want to download because I have no way of dumping the ROMs from my own copies of the games (dumping your own ROMs from your own hard copy is DEFINITELY legal in the US).

If it's not legal, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you can't download a digital copy of something that you can prove you own physically. That's like saying you can't download MP3's from a CD you own, but you can rip them all you want. The end result is still the same because you still own the game. It makes no sense.

EDIT: In this case, since my question is solved, let's make this thread a general discussion about the legality and ethical issues pertaining to ROMs. For fun's sake. =P

Last edited:

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
I'll just say this, a ROM image is not a highly monitored thing, illegal or not. So the FBI is not going to break down your door for downloading this type of thing.

I'm not trying to tell you to do something illegal in any way, but I'm just saying if someone did they would not get in trouble for it.

Years
I'll just say this, a ROM image is not a highly monitored thing, illegal or not. So the FBI is not going to break down your door for downloading this type of thing.

I'm not trying to tell you to do something illegal in any way, but I'm just saying if someone did they would not get in trouble for it.

I just like being on the right side of the law, lol. But if this is illegal I'd definitely lobby against it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
It is still illegal, because you are playing the game under someone else's license to own and play the game. But if you were to make a ROM of your own game, then it wouldn't be illegal since it would be your license you are playing with.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
There are many stupid things that are illegal. Like for example, If I owned my own property, I couldn't make whatever obscene artwork I wanted, even if it was tucked away where only me or a guest could see it, just because it would be obscene enough to violate certain laws.

Years
It is still illegal, because you are playing the game under someone else's license to own and play the game. But if you were to make a ROM of your own game, then it wouldn't be illegal since it would be your license you are playing with.

Thank you, that helps things. Guess I'll have to clear out my ROMs now. =(

There are many stupid things that are illegal. Like for example, If I owned my own property, I couldn't make whatever obscene artwork I wanted, even if it was tucked away where only me or a guest could see it, just because it would be obscene enough to violate certain laws.

LET'S LOBBY! lolz.

In this case, since my question is solved, let's make this thread a general discussion about the legality and ethical issues pertaining to ROMs. For fun's sake. =P

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
In some states you can't have ice cream in your back pocket.

But seriously it's like downloading music on Limewire. You can have it on a cd, but you still downloaded it.
If it is illegal, who cares? xD

Melody

Banned
Years

You are incorrect. It is perfectly legal to download a ROM of a game you physically own. Your license applies to the digital copy of the game as well.

However it IS ILLEGAL to SHARE your digital copy. It's not the downloader who is punished, it's the one sharing the ROM file.

Years

You are incorrect. It is perfectly legal to download a ROM of a game you physically own. Your license applies to the digital copy of the game as well.

However it IS ILLEGAL to SHARE your digital copy. It's not the downloader who is punished, it's the one sharing the ROM file.

That's not what Nintendo says. lol.

Nintendo Legal Information said:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game? There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

source: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Years
All roms are illegal. Just buy the game again.

My games work for the most part, thankfully. I took good care of my SNES. It's just irritating that you can't have multiple self-created copies of property you've paid for to be used for your own personal use. It's common sense. It's like telling people they can't make photocopies of a book and that you have to use the original book, and then when the book gets ruined since you can't make photocopies you have to go buy another one.

Years
Technically, you can't do this. :\

The world doesn't make sense. DX

What I find strange though is how none of this holds true for music. It's probably because of the nature of digital media though; making copies is necessary for MP3 players to be functional. I found out you can even have a spare burned copy on another CD and an unlimited amount of MP3 copies as long as they're for your own personal use and provided all the copies were made off of the CD/MP3s you own.

However, downloading in all cases is illegal, even if you own the music already. This means if your CD busted and you have no MP3 copies that are made from that CD then you're stuck buying a new CD.

Kinda destroys the spirit of the law if you ask me.

Last edited:

Zet

Years

I'm afraid you're wrong Mr. Pachy, it is illegal to do anything with roms... even making roms is illegal.

All roms are illegal. Just buy the game again.
Thank you for telling the truth, you shall be rewarded in the afterlife!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
It's more or less a legal gray area right now; for the most part, though, it's illegal. Doesn't mean it's wrong, though.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
I'm afraid you're wrong Mr. Pachy, it is illegal to do anything with roms... even making roms is illegal.

This is such a weird area. They area is such a grey one. In some states it is legal if you make your own. In others they are outright illegal.

The Supreme Court said it is illegal to make a ROM of a game if you put it on another cartridge. Though whether a computer, flash drive, or USB card would be considered is a cartridge is also grey.

They should make this black and white, not gray.

Zet

Years

This is such a weird area. They area is such a grey one. In some states it is legal if you make your own. In others they are outright illegal.

The Supreme Court said it is illegal to make a ROM of a game if you put it on another cartridge. Though whether a computer, flash drive, or USB card would be considered is a cartridge is also grey.

They should make this black and white, not gray.
For America maybe, but it is illegal completely outside of the US iirc

Years
For America maybe, but it is illegal completely outside of the US iirc

Not necessarily. Copyright laws are different in every country. That's why The Pirate Bay was trying to buy an island.

But I would just assume it's illegal, to be honest. It's too up-in-the-air for a definitive answer.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Well, it depends if you own a prototype game, but nobody will break into your house for downloading ROMs. I only download prototypes and betas and demos. Those are legal.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 15, 2023
I think it's perfectly legal; that's why I back up all of my DVDs to my computer for safekeeping.

Back