• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Pokemon and Type Combinations Speculation

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Those designs look quite odd, but at the same time, fairly interesting! I'm not so sure if I'm a huge fan of Zangoose being on four legs really, but I suppose that's just me. xD; It just seems like, aesthetically, it would use it's fighting moves better while being bipedal. I do like Seviper's design though, it seems more threatening. o:

Mmm. They really caught my eye, above most of the other designs on that website (although the Xatu evolution... I cannot begin to describe how much I love it. In fact...).

Nahualatu
Spoiler:

I had imagined that the Zangoose evolution being able to alternate between bipedal and quadrupedal locomotion. Four legs allow for greater movement speed, and then it can rear up onto two legs and lash out with its long claws. The Seviper evolution is definitely my favourite of the two, but they're both good, especially since the usual fan evolutions for these two are 'bigger snake' and 'bigger mongoose'. They are unique, and yet very appropriate.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like that Xatu evolution is just...strange. It doesn't even look like a bird anymore, it looks more like a griffin or something. Kind of a strange change to go from a bird to a animal based on a lion that can fly. I guess it's possible (plus the design is actually really cool and I like it a lot =P), but I don't know =x

blue

gucci
Years
I agree. I like the Grass/Ice combination and with only one of those out there, it would be nice to see a couple more. I think Snover & Abomnasnow are great Pokemon but it's good to have variety.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Definitely vouching for a Poison/Dragon Legendary, based off a Basilisk.

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
A Poison/Dragon is definitely needed, but the type itself does seem a bit iffy. At least it would give Poison types some major oomph, and it would help if this particular Pokemon was a psuedo-legend of some sort. At least that would make some leaps and bounds for the Poison-type. As far as competitive capabilities are concerned, that still leaves a lot to be questions since adding Poison to Dragon doesn't seem to do anything to Dragon but add more weaknesses. >.>

competitiely, it gets fight resistance which is very common in the current metagame.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
A Poison/Dragon is definitely needed, but the type itself does seem a bit iffy. At least it would give Poison types some major oomph, and it would help if this particular Pokemon was a psuedo-legend of some sort. At least that would make some leaps and bounds for the Poison-type. As far as competitive capabilities are concerned, that still leaves a lot to be questions since adding Poison to Dragon doesn't seem to do anything to Dragon but add more weaknesses. >.>

You can't really say it improves a Poison type. If a Poison/Dragon came to existance and it was fairly decent then its because of the individual Pokemon, not so much its type. If you had to go the how its good because of type route then its only good because its a Dragon Type. If anything people would say it could have been better if it weren't Poison type.

The Type doesn't make the Pokemon. The Pokemon makes the type.

I mean look at Altaria. She's a pretty bad example of a Dragon Type Pokemon. Almost to the point that some people forget she's a Dragon Type. Just because she's a Dragon Type doesn't mean she's some godly figure.

You have Pokemon like Venasaur and Tentacruel. Two Poison Types that are used fairly often now. This is because of the Pokemon not because of their types. If you had to go type you'd say its because of their other types (Grass and Water). Still that's not entirely correct. Their stats and abilities are more looked at and then type match up for balance. Those at the top are just extremely powerful Pokemon.

I don't believe we need to do anything to types for the sake of powering them up as they were never designed to be something like that. Each type has what its supposed to to. They have their functions and don't need anything more than that.

I think a Poison/Dragon would be amazing because it could be the weakest thing imaginable or strong enough to be a Pseudo Legendary Pokemon. That would influence the Pokemon more than its type. We can use type for defense vs another but as its been put against my dislike for X4 Damage on types, that can be overcame with proper strategy and superior stats.

We really don't need types with better stats or remixed type chart. We just need Pokemon with good stats to have those types. Watch we could get some regular Ice types or something like an Ice/Electric type with better stats than any Ice or Electric in the past. We could get a Steel type with poor defense and Special Defense, which is what Steel types are known for their great defense and Sp. Defense. We could get another Altaria with bare bone bad stats. The average stat isn't something that's official. Its a statistic that changes every generation found by fans.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
I would love if Game Freak would change the Pokemon typing to look like this...

# Type Weakness

1 Normal - Fighting, Dark, Ghost
2 Grass - Bug, Poison, Flying, Fire
3 Water - Electric, Grass, Ice
4 Fire - Rock, Ground, Water
5 Rock - Water, Grass, Fighting
6 Ground - Water, Grass, Ice, Flying
7 Bug - Fire, Flying, Rock, Poison
8 Flying - Electric, Rock, Ice
9 Electric - Ground, Rock, Ice
10 Poison - Ground, Rock, Ice, Steel
11 Fighting - Flying, Psychic, Poison, Fairy
12 Psychic - Ghost, Bug, Dark
13 Steel - Fighting, Ground, Fire, Psychic
14 Ghost - Dark, Electric, Bug
15 Dark - Fighting, Bug, Fairy
16 Ice - Fighting, Rock, Fire
17 Dragon - Electric, Ice, Rock, Fairy
18 Fairy - Poison, Steel, Rock

Inkay: Steel/Poison - Ground 4x, Ice, Steel Helioptile: Electric/Normal - Fighting, Ground, Ice, Dark, Rock
Pangoro: Fighting/Dark - Fairy 4x, Flying, Poison Fletching: Flying/Normal - Rock, Electric, Ghost, Ice, Dark

Maximum number of weakness for a pure pokemon is 3 and for Dual types its 5

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2013
I want a Dragon/Ice type. A huge dragon with ice and awesome prevolutions would be sick!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
^ I really dont think the type chart is going to get a major workover.
If they include a new type, then they might change some stuff around to keep it balanced, but nothing more really.

I mean look at Altaria. She's a pretty bad example of a Dragon Type Pokemon. Almost to the point that some people forget she's a Dragon Type. Just because she's a Dragon Type doesn't mean she's some godly figure.

I definitely agree with XanderO here. It's not always the typing that makes a Pokemon, but his moveset and general stats.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I want a Dragon/Ice type. A huge dragon with ice and awesome prevolutions would be sick!

Kyurem says hi =P Another one that wasn't a legendary with some different evolutions would be cool I guess. Maybe having it be completey crystalline likes it's literally made of ice, just in the shape/form of a dragon would be cool.

As for another type combination I'd like to see, I feel like an Electric/Fire would be cool. It could see some Pokémon like some sort of glass cannon with these types, spamming Fire Blasts and Thunderbolt like it was its job =P

Years
I want a Poison/Steel type (think syringes) and a Grass/Ghost type.

And I want a PROPER Meerkat Pokémon! Watchog is pathetic!

I'd love a Pokémon based off of the Beast of Dartmoor. If you don't know what that is, it's basically a mythical Black Lion.

Years
You can't really say it improves a Poison type. If a Poison/Dragon came to existance and it was fairly decent then its because of the individual Pokemon, not so much its type. If you had to go the how its good because of type route then its only good because its a Dragon Type. If anything people would say it could have been better if it weren't Poison type.

You have Pokemon like Venasaur and Tentacruel. Two Poison Types that are used fairly often now. This is because of the Pokemon not because of their types. If you had to go type you'd say its because of their other types (Grass and Water). Still that's not entirely correct. Their stats and abilities are more looked at and then type match up for balance. Those at the top are just extremely powerful Pokemon.

I don't believe we need to do anything to types for the sake of powering them up as they were never designed to be something like that. Each type has what its supposed to to. They have their functions and don't need anything more than that.

I think a Poison/Dragon would be amazing because it could be the weakest thing imaginable or strong enough to be a Pseudo Legendary Pokemon. That would influence the Pokemon more than its type. We can use type for defense vs another but as its been put against my dislike for X4 Damage on types, that can be overcame with proper strategy and superior stats.

We really don't need types with better stats or remixed type chart. We just need Pokemon with good stats to have those types. Watch we could get some regular Ice types or something like an Ice/Electric type with better stats than any Ice or Electric in the past. We could get a Steel type with poor defense and Special Defense, which is what Steel types are known for their great defense and Sp. Defense. We could get another Altaria with bare bone bad stats. The average stat isn't something that's official. Its a statistic that changes every generation found by fans.

See guys, listen to Xander. He knows everything :)

Basically what he said there is that it's not the type that makes the Pokemon, it's the Pokemon that makes the type. In competitive play, Pokemon are sorted into tiers based on their usefulness in the standard metagame, and not just type matchups are taken into account, but also its overall stats, abilities and movepool usefulness that is taken into account. Any serious competitive player would know this.

If we did get a new type like what the rumors say, the type chart may be changed a bit but not changed too much so it can still be balanced enough, especially since the type chart we're familiar with now has existed since Generation 2. And that was only because Dark and Steel Pokemon were introduced to help counter Psychic better, back in Generation 1 the Psychic-type was an absolute nuke, there was not much that could easily counter it. Bug-types, its only weakness back then wasn't as strong as it is now, and stronger Bug-type attacks and Pokemon started appearing in later generations.

And then again, Altaria is not the usual offensive kind compared to what most Dragon-types are. In fact, it's one of the few defensive-oriented Dragons out there. It also doesn't help that it isn't even draconic in appearance. Like what Xander said, each type has its uses in battle. And then again there are some Pokemon who have stat distributions that are very different to what is the average for their type, such as a Steel-type with lower defenses or a slower Electric-type.

Like what he mentioned above, I think Poison/Dragon would be a pretty interesting mix of type, I'd wonder what designs Game Freak might make out of that. I also mentioned over in the Pokemon Clubs section that I'd like to see an Electric/Dark-type sometime, or maybe even Bug/Psychic. Rock/Ice would look cool too but imagine those 4x Steel and Fighting weaknesses.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Even though the guardian of the forest in my mind is Celebi, I wouldn't mind if there were more "sub-guardians", so to speak, that Celebi also watches over, I suppose. There could always be more than one forest deity after all, so I'd be all for this. :3

I'm imagining a grass/ghost type wouldn't be so much a guardian as it would be an evil trickster, leading travellers astray and trying to get them lost amongst the trees.

Years
I think we all know that ghost-type needs a major re-vamp. I mean th current ghost Pokemon arent terrifying enough. If they add this ghost/fighting beasty in, it will be spammed by literally everyone... Including me. And can you even imagine the abilities of a ghost-steel? Think of the Atk and Defence of Steel-type mixed with the Sp Atk and Speed of Ghost-type. I want this so badly.

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
I'm calling for a pre-evolution for both Pinser and Heracross, as well as an evolution for both.
As well as an evolution for Torkoal.
Now to the new ones...
I want a flying/ice
Dark/Electric
More diverse dark types overall.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I think we all know that ghost-type needs a major re-vamp. I mean th current ghost Pokemon arent terrifying enough. If they add this ghost/fighting beasty in, it will be spammed by literally everyone... Including me. And can you even imagine the abilities of a ghost-steel? Think of the Atk and Defence of Steel-type mixed with the Sp Atk and Speed of Ghost-type. I want this so badly.

Whoah I love those, especially the first one. We definitely need some scary Ghosties. I don't think they'll deliver us with any though.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'd definitely love to see some more type combinations with Ghost. It was cool having the Rotom forms kind of fill that role (even though they were still Ghost/Electric in Gen IV, and then <elemental type>/Electric in Gen V), but I'd love to see some more dual-typed Ghosts. Something like Ghost/Fighting would definitely be cool. It'd have some nifty type advantages that would work really well for it both in-game and competitively!

Back