• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BIG PICTURE by Steam!

Mr. Magius

  
Years

"Steam, now playing on your TV"

Has anyone else heard of or used this feature?

I haven't used it yet (I will), but it sounds really neat. I don't like sitting here with my laptop on my lap, having to squint and curse due to the size of my tiny 1080p monitor..
I'd prefer to be scrawled out on my couch playing on my big TV screen, with a controller! That's just the proper traditional experience for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I don't care for it. I just hope the circular button gets moved and/or downsized because I do use those undersized window controls immediately above it.

I don't like sitting here with my laptop on my lap, having to squint and curse due to the size of my tiny 1080p monitor.
Just lower your laptop's screen resolution.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I doubt I'll use it just because I don't even have a controller that plugs into my computer >_o On my computer games I always use keyboard and mouse, so there's no point in using Big Picture.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Just lower your laptop's screen resolution.
But then I lose the HD aspect of my screen...not worth it to me :3

So I tried it, and it's a bit of a hassle with the controls of it. It also tended to seize up on a random screen and I'd have to wait for it to unfreeze. I'd probably wait for Steam to release further bug fixes than use it at the moment.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I've had my desktop on the main floor of our house since September for various reasons so I was happy to try out Big Picture. It's alright. Most of the games I play, though, are keyboard and mouse games and even if they have controller settings, they just don't play as well. So I never really remember to go into Big Picture mode when playing on the TV if I'm just gonna be playing with keyboard/mouse anyway. :s It's a great idea though and I like that it's been implemented.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
I haven't tried it yet, but I hope to at some point, because I would love to play some of my favorite PC games on an HDTV.

According to my friend who tested it, it can greatly improve performance if you are trying to play games on a bad computer or laptop. He had difficulty playing Primal Carnage without lagging, even on the lowest settings, however when he played it through Steam on his HDTV, he experienced no problems and was able to play on the highest settings.

Years
I think it is interesting and some people will use it, but I won't, in the near future, as my PC is hooked up to my 32" TV anyway! ;D

But I do think it is a nice alternative for people who use monitors. It is always exciting to see Stream doing things like this.​

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, I mainly use keyboard and mouse when I play Steam Games. Don't see the point, but other people might enjoy it.

Back