• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Thoughts on new tools

Years
Just a small discussion on who here thinks we need new tools and how we should integrate them.

Here are my thoughts:

• A new RGSS player - This would be optimal because we can easily integrate new encryptions, handle window events, graphics, audio, ect. with more capability than current RGSS player can handle

• A new map editor - one that is free, and maybe has the sole purpose of making pokemon games easier (This gives us many optimization possibilities)

• PBS editor - Simple enough, it should Edit PBS files like the current "Editor.exe" but should have an easier interface to use.

State your thoughts on how you think these would be better/worse than our current set of tools.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
You would have to take this up with Enterbrain. Us here have no say whatsoever in the development of the RPG Makers.

Years
You would have to take this up with Enterbrain. Us here have no say whatsoever in the development of the RPG Makers.

You are mis-interpreting what I am saying, we are legally allowed to to create our own engines and legally convert rpg maker xp projects into a new format, and I was asking on the thoughts of what everyone thinks

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
The biggest issue, is a comprehensive base. Pokemon Essentials is the primary reason why RMXP is used. It cuts down a substantial amount of work for developers.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I guess.

You are wanting to fix something that does not exactly need to be fixed for (what seems like) the purpose of having a free option. Most developers at this point really have no need to switch as they either bought RMXP or acquired it through other means, and it functions just fine.

That being said, I am not opposed to the idea of new tools, I don't think anyone would be. But I will be sticking with RMXP as I see no real reason to actually switch at this point in time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
See we can make a base that supports ruby as it's primary language, then it is only a matter of adding all the classes rgss supports and then we have our new engine base.
There are already open source implementations of RGSS in basic ruby (http://openrgss.org/), porting essentials out of RMXP to a regular ruby base would not be difficult at all. 'Tiled' is a great free map editor that supports importing rxdata format maps into its own format. Reimplementing tiled's map format in essentials wouldn't be that difficult of a task.

That being said, I don't think its very much worth it. RMXP acts as a centralised database for everything to make your game with. I don't think its a great idea to have multiple programs which you use to make a game, it gets cluttered. I do agree that the PBS editor needs an overhaul in the interface department though. A point and click interface with the mouse would be a lot more user friendly and would save a lot of time.

Back