• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you ever play the original green?

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
So I jsut found my old school Green version from back in the day. I was just curious if anyone else played this one. I know it is only in japanese but curious.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Never have. :( I want to though!! I love old games and I love Green sprites. They're so ugly they're fabulous. Plus I'm OCD about my main game collection and without Green, I feel really incomplete.

Years
Never have. . . Plus I'm OCD about my main game collection and without Green, I feel really incomplete.

Same here! I haven't been buying any games lately (saving for a new gaming PC).

I have most of the main gen games, in English. I have Gold in Japanese, and I plan on getting one of each copy all the main series games in each English/Japanese, possibly moving on to European versions afterwards.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I have! My cousin had green. I wish I had it. I think he gave it away D:

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
I've only ever played the ROM version, and I think its awesome that you actually have the cartridge. But something that would also be super cool, is if an American actually owned a rare copy of the Japanese Blue Version.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I believe I played a ROM of the original Green that was stuffed in a fake cartridge that I bought on holiday in Spain. It definitely had a Yellow ROM (which I played before buying the real thing a few months later) but I'm pretty sure it had a Green one as well. Suffice to say, I can't really remember anything of it, unfortunately.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I once played a weirdly-translated rom of it, but I stopped in Viridian Forest :|

I did see a Green cartridge for sale at an anime convention a few weeks ago. I would've bought it, but it was $30, so..

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Nope never. Tbh I didn't even know Green existed until I was like..10. But I love all the Green sprites and I'd love to play it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Now that the controversy with Sydian has been cleared :D :

If you want to try out Pokémon Green in English, just go here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/876/

Note: This is a patch for a ROM of Pokémon Red, it's the same link I posted before.
You have to apply the .ips file contained in the zip to a clean Pokémon Red ROM, which you have to get somewhere else. To do so use "Lunar IPS" for example.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Now that the controversy with Sydian has been cleared :D :

If you want to try out Pokémon Green in English, just go here:

Note: This is a patch for a ROM of Pokémon Red, it's the same link I posted before.
You have to apply the .ips file contained in the zip to a clean Pokémon Red ROM, which you have to get somewhere else. To do so use "Lunar IPS" for example.

Been playing this, was gonna try and message the creator to see if I could get the ips. posted here, for what seems like such a simple a lot of work clearly went into this :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I just played a japanese rom and I beat it awhile back. Nothing to special about it, other than the sprites.

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
Green was my first ever Pokemon game. There are many memories in it. XD I never knew that there was a 'new green' and 'old school green'. I only knew of the first Japanese one until now.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
I don't see why I'd play a majorly text based game I can't even read.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
I didnt even know they made an actual green i was like 8 when they came out and all i remember was yellow red and blue

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
I don't see why I'd play a majorly text based game I can't even read.

Come on, it's not like you need to be able to read Green to play it nowadays, you're bound to know the story.

Yeah I've got Green, it's fun because it's so terrible! It's quite endearing, and some of the sprites are just shocking...

Bika

lmfao
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 17, 2012
Only the rom, with the terrible translation. Recently I started playing the Japanese one.

Years
I was interested in playing it. However, I never truly pursued finding any means of being able to play it. Yellow was amazing enough to not really care enough to try out the Japanese's third installment.

Back