• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monstructs: Makers and Mayhem

DigimonMaster

Lurkermon
Years
Ah so all the battle environments and monsters are going to be hand drawn eh? I might actually be help with that, check out some of my stuff
photobucket.com/albums/v157/redrobster20/my%20drawings/
If your interested PM me I can can sketch some stuff up and see if you like it.

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
Ah so all the battle environments and monsters are going to be hand drawn eh? I might actually be help with that, check out some of my stuff
photobucket.com/albums/v157/redrobster20/my%20drawings/
If your interested PM me I can can sketch some stuff up and see if you like it.

thanks for the offer Digi, but i'm kinda enjoy doing all this stuff myself. it gives me the chance to really be creative. plus most of the envirionments and such are done.

Thanks again!

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2010
Okay! I'm gonna get all the negative stuff out of the way first so you can focus on the nice stuff I say by reading it last :3

Bad1. Your monstruct images...are terrible. I don't think they suit the style, I don't think they're even usable :/ They DO stick out but only because all the other stuff is so much better.
Bad2. Watched the video on creating a monstruct...well, it was okay but the person is terrible, is it a placeholder image which will/has been replaced?
Mini-Bad; The userbar you have is cool but the monstruct you used in it seems to have unneeded white pixels which make it look....bad. And the sudden jump from one text to the other when all other text transitions are a smooth fade is jarring 0.0

..... :D Now on to the good!

This is an amazing concept! The creation and fusing etc. and having jobs to send them on, the story is fantastic and believable in a this-is-a-game/movie kinda way xD But that's cool.

The rest of the art is also great, from the posts I got the feeling these were ones included with RPG Maker XP. Some of it though, like the Battle Cards...well the Tide Caste one is fine, but the colour-scheme of the flame one makes it much harder to read - I can read it, but it's nowhere near as clear as the Tide one.

I think it's because of how bright the inner colour is, if you used a duller red[the way the Tide one is duller] then it would work fine! :3

Hm, this feels more like it goes in the bad section, but it's not bad per se, more that it could just be better and is easily fixed.

I think the game design in-and-of-itself is definitely good enough to be a DS game, as was said by someone earlier. I really could see this being on the DS but only if all the art design/quality was brought in to line with the overworld/character tiles and sprites.

:D However after all that I am definitely looking forward to this being completed and released! I'll be dropping in now and then[since I have a lot of sites to work through xD] to check out the updates and maybe even find a link soon enough :P

Also, I think it's really cool how you did this all by yourself! I've tried using Game Maker XP but I guess my mind-set just isn't geared towards it 'cos I can't seem to figure it out, despite it supposedly being so easy everyone and their grandma could use it xD

^-^ ~ Good luck! <3

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
Thanks for your thoughts Chevy. i'll defintatey take your comments to heart. it shows you think enough of my project to give an honest opinion.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2010
:3 No problem Jayje, I've also realised I forgot to say I love the title splash art at the start of your post <3 ^`^

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide as in-depth an analysis of this as the rest of your work 'x3
I think it's because you have all that colour in the title, which is very pretty but stands out just fine/not too much because of the thick outline of the text, and having so little colour in the rest of the image means it's not over-crowded/too busy.

It's also not too squished up, I don't know about anybody else but I like how evenly spread out the monstructs are around the name too :3

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
Hey folks i know its been awhile since I've last said anything, so i thought i'd show off a new image for you all.

this is one of the main bad guys of the game. His name's Dessecado, the spirit of the desert. What do you guys think?

oh as a side note, i wanted to give you guys a little inside info. When you go into battle, you WILL NOT be able to access your item bag!
don't worry, i've come up with a way around this that will give the game a more interesting twist.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Hey folks i know its been awhile since I've last said anything, so i thought i'd show off a new image for you all.

this is one of the main bad guys of the game. His name's Dessecado, the spirit of the desert. What do you guys think?

oh as a side note, i wanted to give you guys a little inside info. When you go into battle, you WILL NOT be able to access your item bag!
don't worry, i've come up with a way around this that will give the game a more interesting twist.

I actually really like the appearance of Dessecado, it actually looks a little malevolent, which is a problem with a lot of 'ghost' characters I see.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2010
:D Ah! Yeah, I love this guy, Jayje! ^`^ Dessecado looks great and he's got this odd sort of style which fits with your game, but despite the odd contrast between the body and the skull he still looks alright :3

Maybe you could add some more outlining to the teeth of the skull? Everything else is so darkly outlined it looks like you didn't mean for it to be that way, it sorta blends together.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2010
Your game is PURE genius. Its a game that people choose not to recognise but should be. Its one of the few games that is unique in its own way and has its own story and plot and not following another. Hopefully you release a beta soon or the full game. I want to play it :)

Good luck!

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
i wanted to thank everyone for all the support and interest in this project. i'm probably going to have a demo out soon (prob Early to Mid Aug) it'll most likely go up to the first boss(which will also included a mini boss as well) keep posted folks and i'll keep workin.

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
thanks for all the support and thought on this project folks. i want to show off some more things i've done and ask for some help from you you all.

first the graphics

Randumby
Randumby.png

This lil fella gives you random loot when you beat it.(in all honesty i had no idea how to give the player certain item and this was my solution)

Dragon
Draco.png

Just a dragon you fight in Skyreach Mountains.

And two more bosses for your viewing consideration....

Bones the Jailer
BonestheJailer.png

This guy is generally just creepy and has some freaky attacks too.

Automaton Knight
AutomatonKnight.png

A general damage sponge, but can really dish it out in return.
######################################################################################

Finally, I have come to a rather sticky wicket as it were. In the rare moments I get to relax, I've been playing an old SNES game called Rudra no Hihou(Treasure of the Rudra) and I saw how they did their magic system. It got me thinking about making the skill aquisition system.

I'm not too fond of the way you get them by leveling up. but i've kinda been leaning towards a reworked version of the Rudra style. (ie the hero reaches a certain and learns a certain that unlocks a skill)

My question is what kinda suggestions do you guys have any other ideas ? i wanna stay away from the whole TM/HM like in pokemon.

feel free to offer your thoughts...

T.I.A.

Last edited:
Back