• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ebony And Ivory

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Pokemon EBONY and Ivory!
Mini-Site:
http://poepoesprojects.yolasite.com/ebony-and-ivory.php
Info:
Taking place in the POE region, our hero finds himself in a mess between Team Volcan and the world. Team Volcan is destroying select locations of the world and causing terror for who knows what reason...

I am using a custom tileset because I hate that firered/leafgreen/emerald one it's over used.

Region Map:
Region.jpg

Trainers:
Male:
trainer000.png

Female:
trainer001.png

All Maps(Image heavy)
Grovetown-MtPhase.jpg

Extended Info:
I WANT the game to be as closely related to pokemon possible, I hate those games that have time travel and guns, or the player talks, it doesn't seem natural to me! So I set out to fix that problem and make a game, this game's goal is to be as close to pokemon possible, and be finished! I want to finish this so that maybe it will inspire others to finish THEIR games, because I have not seen a finished pokemon fangame that is not a spin-off game! I will be having events in the game that are activated by files on the internet, these events will give out RARE legendary's for your collection. I want to do an online trade server but it isn't going to be on a server I pay for, it will be on my home computer and it will not be on 24/7 though anyone that wants to host their own server for the game can just let me know and I will contact them about them getting their server up!

Plot Information:
So the player starts out hearing from his/her mom that the professor wants you. When you get there he tells you he wants you to get his package from the next town over. When you come back he sees how much you bonded with your pokemon so much so he decides it's time you go and earn your badges. Quickly disaster strikes as Team Volcan is destroying things, they are wrecking pokemon cave, and other areas, for what reason the player must find out...

Last edited:
Years
People might be more willing to help if you gave us more info on the game's plot, or maybe some details about the region. :)

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
I wanted it to be a surprise but I guess I will D:, ill edit my post.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
The story seems the run of the mill, generic story to me...

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Yup, I want this to be as close to a pokemon game possible, I dont want there to be time travel or guns or any of that other crap! I actually found a sprite sheet I am going to use but it has my one weakness...RESIZING! If anyone is good at resizing drop me a PM!

Last edited:

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
1 - The title makes me feel racially marked as the unwanted half-breed. o.o;;

2 - Do you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager? It's pretty good at resizing pictures accordingly. But, in order for it to work right, you would have to copy the tile set from paint to Microsoft PowerPoint, set the transparent color from the format option, save picture from PowerPoint as a .png, then resize. otherwise you'll get more than one background color because it stretches the photo and adds other colors.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
I can make it transparent with gimp, my friend is helping me with resizing so that's all good. I am updating the topic post with a picture of all the maps put together... why does it seem racist, saying black or ebony is not racist.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I think you should make a deeper story.
Some things that help are:
Give the character a reason to collect badges,
Give the player a reason to fight the evil gang,
Give the player a reason to do everything!

Here is an example from my game(the game is more centered around the evil gang.)

No, there won't be guns.
The player goes after the evil team because they kidnapped his father and even after saving him you still want revenge.

Try to make your story more interesting and deeper without straying too far from the pokemon formula.
There is a certain compromise involved.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Just a slight update, I have a youtube channel and I will be posting videos of gameplay tommorow to show you the maps up close!

http://www.youtube.com/user/poepoe1122

Subscribe if you can ^_^.

This is NOT a joke, I have been making games for a long time, I have been a part of www.phanxgames.com for a long time you can find me there by the name of POEPOE.

I actually didn't come up with the names my friend did that thought he was going to work on the project too but he decided he wanted to do a different project.

I know my region map doesn't have shading, that's because it's not the final map.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Just a tiny update, for some reason cam studio was not recording sound from my speakers but instead my mic, so you can BARELY hear it I recommend turning off the sound for this video, and I know of every glitch that is in here thank you very much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQIJiRiQJNM

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Well here's my opinion, the Player's battle sprites could use a bit of work, and the Professor's sprite in the intro needs a transparent background. The maps are Ok, but not great.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
I know about the professors transparency, as I said:

"and I know of every glitch that is in here thank you very much"

What is wrong with the players battle sprite?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Well the boy one is a very obvious edit of Blue's FireRed and LeafGreen sprite, and the female one is okay other than the nose being messed up (too dark and maybe a little off on the placement.)

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
I did not make them, and I doubt I will edit them to change completely, but I will fix the female trainer thanks for the tip.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Just a small update, I will add the mini-site to my main post, it contains some stuff you can play around with and an interactive map that has the first 3 towns.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Alright I need help coming up with the first event, I am thinking a key that lets you access a dungeon where you can find MEW or MEWTWO. I am not so sure about that it seems rather too good for the first event, my other idea is a key that opens up an amity square type thing, any thought's are appreciated.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Your region map needs work. You need to put different tones of shading and I would recommend doing it in D/P style. The maps look a dull and have tile errors that you can easily fix (entrance and exit of the forest). And the trainer sprites are badly pixelated. You should be able to fix these things quite easily. That's all the critique I have for now.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
I know what you mean in the forest, that is because those are multiple screenshots assembled in paint and I messed up that area. I do not want to use kyledove's or any other D/P style tileset, I already assembled this tileset. I am working on the trainers do not fear. Thank you for the reply.

Years
He wasn't referring to the tileset being in D/P style, he meant the region map. Yours is currently (vaguely, at least) in RSE style.

Any updates to show? I've been expecting some kind of plot update to make it more interesting.

Back