• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other hack: Buu's Fury - The Hard Way

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hack of: Dragonball Z - Buu's Fury (U)

This is a simple hard mod for DBZ Buu's Fury.
This game simply lacks the epicness of other dragonball role playing games so I decided to enhance it a little bit :D

Changes
-All enemies have been modified
-Base stats of all the characters are changed
-Some menu text has been changed

I would have done more (for example, new in-game text would have been nice) but unfortunately, the game seems to use a strange text table and I haven't figured out how to find the text that is loaded when talked to other people. But anyways, the main idea of this hack was to make the game harder :)

In case someone is interested, you can find information about this game in "Hacking" zip-file which is attached with the ips-file of the hack.
You can use it to make your own hack of this game or continue researching its base from the point where I left.

Pictures
It's no good playing around with the world's strongest man...

20324637.png
27308186.png
27825945.png

Dragonball Hunt
When you're collecting Dragonballs in the middle of the game, you should go after them in the following order because enemies can be a lot tougher in the last areas than in the first ones of this list.

1) Thieves Den
2) Pilaf's Castle
3) Diablo Desert
4) Kyodai Pyramid
5) Fukurou Forest
6) Airship

Release information
Version 1.0 contains the full game except the possible side-quests that you're able to do after defeating Kid Buu (which is the final boss).
It also lacks the changes to the enemy data of the enemies that can only be encountered after that point of the game.

Version 1.1 SHOULD contain the full game, but it's been like 2 and half years since I completed the hack that I'm not quite sure. But I strongly believe that's the one you want to download in version 1.0's place. Other than that, I don't personally see much use in the full game patch since nothing extraordinary happens after defeating Kid Buu. You get to fight some very strong enemies and can (quite easily) level up to lv200 at that point in the game.

Rom Information
Buu's Fury ROM won't run with VisualBoyAdvance 1.80.
You'll need VBA version 1.1 to play the game or it will freeze in the beginning of the game before the other world tournament !

Download version 1.1 of the hack here.

Last edited:

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Haha, Trunks lost to Hurcule! What a wimp...
Seriously though, something out of the ordinary huh? I have the original game as a rom and beaten it months ago. It was kind of easy to finish if you ask me. The second (Legacy if Goku 2 I believe) was much more challenging. I might give this one a go...oh just downloaded it. Excuse me now...

JustSnilloc

Theorist Extraordinaire
Years
Someone (who knows what they're doing) needs to make a hack of the whole Z series (at least) off of the Buu's fury rom, (fix the non-user-friendly issues with LoG1, and an update to LoG2)

If I knew how I would, lol... but unfortunately I don't, and I haven't found any information on how either (so that I might learn) oh well... maybe someone will make one, one day...

miksy91

Years
I've managed to complete the hack, almost, and the final release can now be downloaded above. As explained in the "release information", it still lacks the side-quest enemies that you can fight after the final battle with Kid Buu and I didn't bother editing them yet but still felt like I could put up a release already, so here it is :D

I'm still going to edit them later but for now, the "final" version is available.
Besides, I added a lot of information about the game itself (there are a couple of documents in the zip-file).

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2018
Can you give me a tutorial on how to hack it? I'm a quick learner, and I'd really appreciate it.

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
Have you found a way to edit the sprites of the game? If so, can you please tell how.
If anyone can help me with this I'll give you my custom sprite sheets.

Last edited:
Years
madarawolf, please check the dates fo the last valid post in a thread before you post in it. If over a month has passed, it's against the rules to post in it.
Miksy, if you'd like this thread reopened, you know the drill :)

Closed~

EDIT on 15/12/13:

Reopened at owner's request!

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
So... I finished this simple hard mod in early 2011 (the last time I had edited the hack was in 19th March 2011 I think). I was meaning to upload the full hack then, but the ending of it didn't turn that much worth it. After all, there is not much to the gameplay after defeating Kid Buu, but I did finish the hack anyway, but never uploaded it due to that reason I think.

But I was asked about it recently, so I have uploaded a new patch in the first post now. Hopefully you guys have fun with this hack although it's a bit unbalanced in every way, but playing it should be fun either way! I've gotten some positive feedback about this hack, of course negative too, but people who have played this have found it fun in overall.

Also don't feel bad to post now after this thread being dead for more than two years. I'd even like to hear some feedback about it, if you see this now and decide to try it out.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Wow ! i have been searching for something like this in a long time !!! definietly gonna try this

miksy91

Years
Wow ! i have been searching for something like this in a long time !!! definietly gonna try this
Make sure to save often though - the hack turned out even a bit too difficult at times since I didn't do much "pre testing" before I made the changes :)

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
There aren't too many changes right ?i hope you will change more things anyway i like Buu's fury toooooooooooooooooo much, And you better make the game more interesting anyway its good.

miksy91

Years
There aren't too many changes right ?i hope you will change more things anyway i like Buu's fury toooooooooooooooooo much, And you better make the game more interesting anyway its good.
I never wanted to anything major with this game either.
I just wanted to find the data structures that handle enemy data, and see how they work so I could manipulate enemies easily.

Graphics, maps, texts etc. are all much "less editable". What I mean by that is that I would have had to do a lot of research to figure out how to work with them properly. All I did apart from hacking characters and enemies was to find out where character data is stored in RAM, and beside that, I found out which items correspond to which byte values. Tried to edit markets based on that information, but they didn't work the way I expected and gave up that idea back then.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I would never expected this to be on PokeCommunity.
I was just google searching Legacy of Goku rom hack and stumbled across this.

I gotta say props for doing this, because Buu's Fury was WAY TOO EASY for me compared to Legacy of Goku 1 and 2. But it was still the best for the updated sprites and transformations.

I will definately give this a go. I hope you're still considering do more with this or maybe a Legacy of Goku 2 version perhaps?

It's about time someone did a hard version mod, now it should be more fun and challenging.

*EDIT*

Was this done by a hex editor or a custom GBA hacking tool? Because it might be interested in adding tweaks myself, assuming it's not too complicated like hex editing.

miksy91

Years
I would never expected this to be on PokeCommunity.
I was just google searching Legacy of Goku rom hack and stumbled across this.

I gotta say props for doing this, because Buu's Fury was WAY TOO EASY for me compared to Legacy of Goku 1 and 2. But it was still the best for the updated sprites and transformations.

I will definately give this a go. I hope you're still considering do more with this or maybe a Legacy of Goku 2 version perhaps?

It's about time someone did a hard version mod, now it should be more fun and challenging.

*EDIT*

Was this done by a hex editor or a custom GBA hacking tool? Because it might be interested in adding tweaks myself, assuming it's not too complicated like hex editing.
There is nothing complicated about hex editing :P
I'm not joking at all actually - even a ten-year old child could edit a game using a hex editor if he was given step-by-step tutorial on what to do.

I've included addresses where the data of the enemies is located inside that "Hacking.zip" file. Check for yourself; download any hex editor you like, use its "Go to" function to choose an address and input one of the addresses I've documented inside that zip file (related to enemies).
That will take you to the enemy data.

There you will see several bytes that are related to the enemy (and I've even documented how the enemies work so you won't even have to guess which byte affects and what). It should be simple enough for anybody, who hasn't done any hex editing before, to understand :)

And at least the enemy data in Legacy of Goku 2 should be very similar to this since I checked it out too when I made this hack. I just didn't feel like making yet another hack with the same purpose.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Good to see someone promoting a dragon ball Z game! PLease make some more changes to make it more interesting!

miksy91

Years
can you make a sequel to dragon ball gt? based on buu fury?.
That would be no way trivial to do and a simple answer for this is 'No'.
If I was to make a hack or game that would be similar to this one but for GT, I would most likely make a new game from scratch instead. But not going to do that though.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
Hey, do you know how to change the level gates? IN Legacy of goku 2, or buu's fury.
2nd your hacking zip file download is down, either that or I can't download it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
I don't feel good about bumping this one up, but I must say that the attachments' links are down.

Also, I must ask, did you by any chance change the (theoretical) maximum stats of the characters (200 str,pow, and end) by changing the base stats or did you just make the game so it remains challenging even if/when you max out?

Back