• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
I'm sorry to bother people here, but I was wondering if there is a tutorial or program out there to edit the battle sprites in HG/SS? I've seen people do it but haven't been able to track down anything of that sort, so I was curious if one existed. Sorry if this has been covered all ready and I missed it in this topic. Thank you very much!

Use PokeDSPicPlatinum. Do keep in mind that you'll need a program that will be able to change your new image to 8bpp (256 color palette with only the first 16 colors used in my experience, first color always transparency).
Link: www.mediafire.com/?kagm2147iaepyv3
Has anyone got a solution editing the Wild Encounters in HGSS?

PPRE worked for me. Just make sure to know that, if the scripts in a map are unchanged, PPRE will corrupt them for some reason. Just type some gibberish in a random script in the map (example: ioushfiuhsljfialjds) and it won't corrupt the scripts. I had the problem of my game freezing every time I edited something, then I realized it was just the scripts, so I'm assuming it's an error in the program. Gibberish is a great fix though :)

Last edited:

TTYO

Old Timer
Years
Ok thanks...

But I just wish to know about What scripts are we talking about in PPRE. I apologize as I am new to PPRE a little. Where am I supposed to add the gibberish?

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
Ok thanks...

But I just wish to know about What scripts are we talking about in PPRE. I apologize as I am new to PPRE a little. Where am I supposed to add the gibberish?

Here, in Scripts-Scripts, I just typed some random stuff, and when I go to edit the wild Pokemon, it won't produce any errors for me. It should work for you too! :)

Attachments

• scripts.png
    scripts.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 79

TTYO

Old Timer
Years
Here, in Scripts-Scripts, I just typed some random stuff, and when I go to edit the wild Pokemon, it won't produce any errors for me. It should work for you too! :)

Sorry guys no matter what I do, I get the same error.... :P

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
Sorry guys no matter what I do, I get the same error.... :P

Hm, that's odd. I'll make a video of what I do to edit the Pokemon, I might have missed a step... I'll post here/edit this post in a few days with the video.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ever done any research as to how editing a Pokemon's sprite position in battle would be possible. In DPP, it's quite easily achieved by editing the files called poke_yofs, poke_shadow, and poke_shadow_ofx (and others I may not be aware of). However, like many NARCs in HGSS's filesystem, when edited at 1/3/2, 1/3/5, and 1/3/7 respectively, they do nothing to change the actual game. In fact, I removed the files, and the game was still completely stable as far as I could tell. This tells me that the information originally in the previously mentioned NARCs is somewhere else; I assume it's probably encrypted in ARM9 somewhere (based on my past luck!) I searched the decompressed ARM9 (albeit quite noobishly, I don't quite know how to search with a Hex editor in an efficient manner, if one even exists), so, is there anything I can do to lead me in the right direction? Any ideas anybody? :o

Here's a video on changing the wild Pokemon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bihs20Xql1I

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Hi guys :D, I'm trying to add new trainer to battle in HGSS using PPRE. I have been digging the forum to answer 2 questions below, but I found nothing, so I hope someone can help me answer:

1. Does anyone know how to which trainer does the each of the Trainer classes called x01E x01F stand for (in HGSS)? There are many of them in the list!

2. Does anyone know how to add a new trainer to the list found in the Trainer editor tab in PPRE?

Thanks, guys!

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2013
So? any hack? Or any ETA? if it's done, will someone post a link?
Also, found a hack of HG/SS called Perfect Gold/Silver:
Just search for it on Google

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I hope it's still okay to post in this thread, yes?

I'm planning to do a hack of either HG or SS using PPRE. I was just wondering how much experience others have had with using this tool with these games?

I know of some issues:

You can't fill up the level-up moves because it will make Pokémon learn unwanted moves all the time -> Easy to fix

Editing Wild Pokémon makes the game crash because of the scripts -> this is adressed a few posts above

Most HG/SS roms seem to stop working after some time because of anti-piracy (or something) -> no idea if my rom is affected or not, so any help here would be appreciated. I do have SS for real, is there some way to get it off the DS cartridge on my PC?

I'd appreciate any additional input on this, or just links to forum threads about this and other common issues with PPRE and HG/SS.

Thanks for your time in advance,

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:
Years
It looks like this thread has pretty much died but hopefully someone will give me an answer.
I've been away from hacking for quite a while and now I thought I would go back to it.
What's the latest on Pokemon DS hacking?
Is it completely possible yet? Like Map editing, Script editing, everything.
I'm mainly interested in Diamond/Pearl.

Tan and Teal

DS ROM Hacker
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 23, 2019
I think this thread has died a little bit, but i changed the warps around a little, swapping the hero's house with Pallet town (The hero was supposed to come out in front of red's house, but I came out of Blue's instead :(). I don't think anyone has found this out yet, but I encountered a wild pokemon, and instead of the Kanto wild theme it gave me Johto's. The same thing with the trainer theme. So I'm guessing it was a Pokemon League thing, like after the champion is beaten the game unlocks the Kanto themes?

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Since DS map hacking is now a thing, scripting is gonna have to be known too, and I havn't seen any compiled list of Script and movement commands, so I made some using trial and error

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
If there is a kind and loving god among you, please please tell me how to modify the starters.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2013
hello. does anyone know how i can play soul silver as barry? ive seen videos of it before and there was a download circulating a while back but it wasnt as sufficient as it was in the videos. in the videos the in battle/pokeball throwing sprite was barry but the hack i had just used ethans sprites for those moments. but either way now i can find anything on this. could someone please direct me to where i can get this hack? i really want to play as barry!

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2014
Ok so what I'm wanting to do is replace the protagonist in Soul Silver's backsprites with Red's backsprites. I'm also going to replace everything else with Red's stuff but we'll cross those bridges when we get to them lol. Anyway, it seems that nowhere I look can I find a tutorial or anything on how to replace backsprites. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Years
  • Age 64
  • Seen Jul 28, 2015
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but how can I extract and convert the sprites/assets used in move animations, and would the process be the same for Platinum as it would be for HGSS? If not, can I be directed to where I can find out how to do it for Platinum, as well?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 25, 2014
I want to make a trade hack in HG/SS, however the game have fixed trades ids like Onix called Rocky in Violet City with trade id 0. The trade ids goes from 0 to 12, the id 15 has a pikachu with Id 00000 ~_~. How can I insert new trades pokemons in game? For instance, id 13 a Kadabra to automatically evolve to Alakazan. And how can insert other pokemons via script? Anyone know where are the trade pokemons in rom?

The script souce:

Fadescreen 6 1 0 0
Resetscreen
TradeChosenPoke
StorePokeMenu2 0x800c
Callend
Fadescreen 6 1 1 0
Resetscreen
If 0x800c 255
CheckLR 1 func_3
SetTradeId 0 -- Here is setted the trade Id that is a fixed trade in game
Copyvar 0x8004 0x800c
StorePokeEgg 0x8004 0x8005
CheckPokeTrade 0x800c
If2 0x8005 0x800c
CheckLR 5 func_4
TradeChsPoke 0x8004
StopTrade

Halfshadow

Sono italiano/I'm italian.
Years
Can I know if there is a function that delete the Pokégear numbers?

A function that add them into a script is "RecordPokegearNumber 0x25" and this actually add Morty's number.

Then there is a function that delete it?

And you know a way to restore the Berserk gene item?

Another answer, how I can edit the marts? Especially the mart of Mahogany town?

Last edited:
Back