• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years
It makes sense to me for it flap it's wing given it does fly. We just never seen it fly outside the anime.

Am I the only one who finds Hoppip's animation weird?

hoppip.gif

I almost burst out laughing looking at it. I forgotten it flies that way. XD That they animated it differently in past gens.
187.gif

Yeah I have to admit that surprised me the first time I ran into a Hoppip horde, I was like "Uh what? Hoppip's leaves spin around?". But yeah I was so used to how it was shown flying in the anime and its previous sprites that the X/Y model came as a shock.

One that really surprised me when I saw it on internet was Aipom:

aipom.gif

The whole "hop on one leg" looks very weird plus some of its previous sprites usually depicted it standing on its own tail. I do love the Aipom line but it looks so weird in that position in X/Y, hopping on one leg like that.

As far as actual size of the models in-game goes, I was so surprised at Tirtouga. That thing is quite a tiny turtle! Thankfully Carracosta turned out better, which is a good improvement because I didn't really like Carracosta's animation in 5th Gen that much. The line in general do at least look good as far as actual model design goes, but yeah I have to admit it was weird seeing Tirtouga look so small, and I did get the chance to see it as I revived one from a Cover Fossil I got in the Glittering Cave.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As far as Aipom goes, I think they took from the 3D models from Colo/Stadium. That's how he stands in those games...looks more comfortable than using that tail imo, but to each their own. By "their" I mean the Aipom, obviously.

Years
As far as Aipom goes, I think they took from the 3D models from Colo/Stadium. That's how he stands in those games...looks more comfortable than using that tail imo, but to each their own. By "their" I mean the Aipom, obviously.

I remember they even used the same animation Gengar's model from Stadium used. Pretty nice blast to the past I have to say, but there are some cases where the 3D models from stuff like Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution where the animations were different.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
itt kouzan posts sprites while jak makes stupid comments about them

treecko looks like he is inhaling SWAG

and at least shiftry doesn't look like this anymore:

Spr_3r_275.png

We're cool aren't we?

That's one of the few times where swag is acceptable cause the word "Treecko" is in front of it. It's true, he has a ton of swag.

Lugia flies perfectly in the movies but can't keep himself in the air in the games? C'MON LUGIA GET IT TOGETHER.

One of my favorites from X and Y is Hitmontop.

hitmontop.gif

Look at those moves.

And Volbeat

volbeat.gif

It's like he's saying YOU SAY SOMETHING TO ME HUH PUNK? COME AT ME BRO!

Okay I think I need sleep now.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I was staring at my signature and realized we went from Altaria being lazy and sitting down to actually flapping its waaangs in XY. I think GameFreak is telling me to get off my fluffy butt??? rooooood!

hitmontop.gif

i am actually CRYING tears right now because this is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen in my entire life

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I can't either like I am just legit amazed by this right now. I don't know if it's because it's 1 AM or Hitmontop is just that interesting or both.

Years
I was staring at my signature and realized we went from Altaria being lazy and sitting down to actually flapping its waaangs in XY. I think GameFreak is telling me to get off my fluffy butt??? rooooood!

hitmontop.gif

i am actually CRYING tears right now because this is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen in my entire life

I have to admit it's funny not seeing Hitmontop balancing on his head, but oh god that little dance is so fun to look at. Such a shame I never got to see one in-game, but yeah it's definitely one of the best animated models in X/Y.

And I agree on Altaria, it looks way better with its wings spread out:

altaria.gif

How could you not love Altaria when it's like that? I know it's had wings open in 4th Gen as well but X/Y made it 10x better because it's now actually flapping them!

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I actually like the BW sprites better than the models from X/Y. The colors are better, and they seem to have more details overall. The models just look weird mostly, although I do like the extra movements when they perform attacks.

For example:
alakazam-2.gif

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Hitmontop confirmed for best model/dancer ever.

Also, I agree with JD. I like the vibrant colors that Pokemon have in Gen V. For example, shiny Totodile is a bright seagreen in gen IV and V, but in VI, he's really dull. My boyfriend says he thinks they look the same, but the older sprites look brighter than the new 3D model. I can't be arsed to find the sprites at the moment though.

Years
I actually like the BW sprites better than the models from X/Y. The colors are better, and they seem to have more details overall. The models just look weird mostly, although I do like the extra movements when they perform attacks.

For example:
alakazam-2.gif

Oh wow Alakazam makes its spoons float, that's really cool.

But I do love how the Pokemon now have extra movement when they are attacking, one of my faves has to be that awesome ninja pose that Greninja does when using a lot of special-based moves, and also Vivillon scattering powder when it attacks.

I also noticed the color of the powder Vivillon scatters in that animation changes based on its wing pattern, because I saw it with Viola's Meadow Vivillon once, and it was pink but when I used it with my River Vivillon, the powder was blue. I have a feeling most of the others will scatter powder that matches their wing pattern's dominant color (like green for Garden, purple for Elegant, red for Modern etc). I've only seen Meadow and River in-game (the latter being my native one) so someone should tell me what the color differences in that animation are for the rest of the wing patterns.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have to agree that the colors for sprites in BW were so much brighter and colorful than the XY models. This is disappointing. But I love the animations for XY better. Like our favorite dancer Hitmontop.
hitmontop.gif

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
The colors are different, yes, but that's mainly because of the difference on graphics and that XY aim to replicate the official art style much more. You can't copy the colors from a drawing onto a tiny sprite without it looking dull and muddled and you don't need to jack up the saturation for 3D models that are a lot larger and distinct on screen.

ShadowGeralt

Ultimate Pokemon Trainer
Years
goomy-2.gif
goomy-3.gif

Do I have to say something about it? Just look at it! It's cute and awesome!
It's amazing how Pokemon sprites evolved from awful to beautiful. Pretty cool that I witnessed all changes since I was a kid. I was evolving just like them and I don't know how far this can go. Still, Goomy is cute!

Years
I've been waiting ages to see the East Sea version of Shellos in X/Y and I finally found it and was not disappointed!! :)

shellos-east.gif

Just look at that cuteness haha, the X/Y sprite has actually made me like it even more than before which I didn't think was possible lol :)

Back