• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash Ketchum - Gen III Sprite Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1-Trainer

Poke' Master.
Years
After stumbling across metapod23's incredible Pokemon Ash Grey Version hack I was inspired to whip up some halfway decent Ash Ketchum trainer sprites. Admitedly they aren't the best sprites ever, however they're a whole lot better than anything I came across google during my searches. I am an oldschool Pokemon fan through and through, so I was appalled than no-one had done justice to the greatest Pokemon Master... ever!

If used please give all due credit. Thanks.

Ash-Ketchum-Back-Sprites-16bit-1.png

be gentle these are only my second foray into spriting. If they are recieved well I may just consider doing Brock and Misty also, perhaps even Team Rocket too. Enjoy!

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I Think the Outlines are not good but the sprite are nice. You should edit the outsline lines.

Tox

fight me
Years
Nice work! I especially like the biggest of the full-body sprites. Like Dragonflye said, the outlines need a little bit of work. Try to use darker colours or the line will start to look broken and messy. Also, when you are using a lighter outline, try to have it where the light is falling so it blends nicely. Otherwise, these are really good, especially when you haven't sprited a lot before! I'd love to see Brock, Misty and Team Rocket if you have plans to sprite them too. ^^

#1-Trainer

Poke' Master.
Years
Thanks, that one's my favourite as well. Oh, okay. I understand what you mean, if you're referring to the lighter shade of red - used on the left hand side of the cap. What I was going for there was, trying to simulate that there is a smidge of red on that side of the white area of the cap. So it's not realy a highlight, but I get what you mean.

Other than that I don't get the outline part. The two are essentially the same outline so it's hardly my fault if it looks awkward.

So I've pretty much given up on this one, as I've already started work on a gen IV Ash sprite set. It is proving much more difficult, but I am far happier with the likeness to Ash, which was unachievable with the gen III graphics. What do you think?

hgss-ash-ketchum-1.png

My plans are to eventually create a hack of HG/SS to faithfully re-capture the evens of Pokemon the First Movie, Mewtwo Stricks Back - Much like Metapod23 did with Fire-red, but with upgraded graphics and extended gameplay. If anyone would like to contribute let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

loucas

100% hot
Years

i think these outlines are much more better, i think more solid outlines to the draker side of the sprite, and more boken and lighter to the side where the light is.

as for the sprites on the first post, i finally get what feels "not right" you should give ash's hair a lighter black color, so you can give a little shading and it won't feel like a solid flat hair.

[edit] also, the shadings at ash's arm is a bit off.

Last edited:

#1-Trainer

Poke' Master.
Years
i think these outlines are much more better, i think more solid outlines to the draker side of the sprite, and more boken and lighter to the side where the light is.

as for the sprites on the first post, i finally get what feels "not right" you should give ash's hair a lighter black color, so you can give a little shading and it won't feel like a solid flat hair.

[edit] also, the shadings at ash's arm is a bit off.

Ash's arm is identicle to the Platinum version Male hero sprite, as I was trying to keep it as "authentic" as possible. I refuse to highlight Ash's hair for the sole reason that it has always been jet black in the anime and so shall it be on the sprites. Thanks!

Alright! Finished the first HG/SS sprite. Now only four more to go...more fun!

hgss-ash-ketchum-2.png

Okay, so I finally finished drawing up the HG/SS + D/P/PL Ash Ketchum back sprites. I know they're far from the best sprites ever, but I'm fairly content with them for the time being. The reason there is two sets is because I prefer the top set, which has more highlights on the shirt - whereas the bottom has a more subdues highlight in keeping with the games other sprites. Let me know what you think. They're free to use, but you MUST give credit or trolls will eat your brains!

big-ash.png

If anyone has the time I'd love to see the sprites in action, however I have absolutely no knowledge of how to hack them into a rom. I'd be greatful if someone could post a video of them in use. Cheers!

Last edited:

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Your sprites can't be put into FRLG. If you look at the color palette in 3rd generation games, only 15 colors allowed plus the background. I think the same is also true for 4th generation but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you want to know what those colors are, open Nameless Sprite Editor and go to Trainer Sprites, index 135. You can change the palette but you have to save it in new free space in the ROM.

Also, when you release sprites like this and allow people to insert them to their ROM's, always include the color palette. For example, look at this guy's sprites:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=223618

A tutorial on how to do insert within a ROM is found here. I tried to do this for you but I double-checked and realized the colors were too many.
https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/6586-tutorial-sprite-editing-and-inserting-for-fire-red/

ZeKro

http://zekrowah.deviantart.com
Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
The last Ash Ketchum are nice, but some outlines are shadows are bad. You should do the shadows more simples, like pokemon BW, I think.
The colours are good, but this green doesn't harmonize very good with the other colours of the sprite.

At least, I like the animation, but you should do this by zero xD

#1-Trainer

Poke' Master.
Years
Your sprites can't be put into FRLG. If you look at the color palette in 3rd generation games, only 15 colors allowed plus the background. I think the same is also true for 4th generation but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you want to know what those colors are, open Nameless Sprite Editor and go to Trainer Sprites, index 135. You can change the palette but you have to save it in new free space in the ROM.

Also, when you release sprites like this and allow people to insert them to their ROM's, always include the color palette. For example, look at this guy's sprites:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=223618

A tutorial on how to do insert within a ROM is found here. I tried to do this for you but I double-checked and realized the colors were too many.
https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/6586-tutorial-sprite-editing-and-inserting-for-fire-red/

Okay, thanks! Is there any chance someone has already lifted the colour index? I'd be able to swap the colours over no problems but it sounds like a whole lot of effort to go through.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
I can get it for you but it would be too much of a burden for how much time I can spare. Just download Nameless Sprite Editor, open a Fire Red ROM, and go to trainer sprite index 135.

For you, it would be really good to learn how to edit sprites in a ROM because a lot of ROM hackers want spriters.

Years
Details and discussion about ROM Hacking regarding the sprites is better kept with VMs or PMs unless they contain any critique or comments of the pixel art.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Is there anyway I can get these sprites into the Overworls Sprite Editor? I'm working on a little hack and I'm trying to get an Ash sprite into it but can't.

Years
I recommend bringing your question over to the Emulation forums for quick answers. This place mainly is to critique, comment and showcase pixel artwork. Also this thread is about a year old, and it's against the rules to revive threads that are over a month old.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back