• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Challenge] Mono-Color Challenge

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
Badges:
Stone_Badge.png
Knuckle_Badge.png
Dynamo_Badge.png
Heat_Badge.png
Balance_Badge.png
Feather_Badge.png
Mind_Badge.png
Rain_Badge.png

Progress:
Thwarted Team Aqua and Magma
Got the 7th and 8th Badges
Beat Wally in Victory Road
Conquered Victory Road!
Beat the Elite Four
Beat Wallace!(it was a double battle)

The Hall of Famers:
Spoiler:

WOOO!! Onto the next Challenge!

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
@Lite, You do realise Swellow can't learn thunderbolt, Chimecho can't learn tail glow or magical leaf and Metagross cannot learn Swords Dance.

You challenge is ripe with cheating.

I was doing this challenge on a hack,so when i was training I was suprised that they got the moves in the first place. The person who made the mod made it that way,probably to make it more fun/challenging for the player.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I was doing this challenge on a hack,so when i was training I was suprised that they got the moves in the first place. The person who made the mod made it that way,probably to make it more fun/challenging for the player.
It's all good, I have played that hack before too! Nice job on using only Pokémon in the Hoenn regional dex too, so you can always turn it into an ultimate later if you wish!

First post updated.

Haru

Wolf Simp
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
So if i want to do this challenge i can only cheat 1 regional pokedex pokemon in and 1 if i cannot obtain it before gym #2?

Also, when using a legendary after the 7th gym, does it have to start as an egg / low level at that point?

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
So if i want to do this challenge i can only cheat 1 regional pokedex pokemon in and 1 if i cannot obtain it before gym #2?

Also, when using a legendary after the 7th gym, does it have to start as an egg / low level at that point?
For the regional pokemon, it must not be available in your particular game - version exclusive in the best example of this.

Hacking/Trading a Pokemon (egg if possible) in before the second gym is possible only if there are no Pokemon of your color available before the second gym. Must be a regional one as well.

Both these rules can be included if your game and color qualifies.

Here are three examples of how these rules can be used, with the example of playing the Black color in the Hoenn region, which has three possible games - Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.

1. If you are playing Sapphire, there are no black Pokémon before the second gym, so you can hack/trade in a low level or egg of a Hoenn dex Pokemon at the start of your game. You can also then trade/hack in a Mawile (egg preferred) as well, since it is only in Ruby or Emerald.
  2. If you are playing Ruby, you can't hack in a Pokémon at the start since Mawile is available in Granite Cave before the second gym. You can hack/trade in a Seviper though, since it is exclusive to Sapphire/Emerald.
  3. If you are playing Emerald, you can hack in a regional dex Pokemon at the start since Mawile has now been moved to Victory Road only, but there are no version exlusives to hack in.

Make sense? Glad I was able to find a color and region that would allow for all three examples!

As for your last question, Legendaries must be caught normally in your game, and only the ones listed - i.e. Zapdos in Kanto is caught at L50, but cannot become a member of your team until you have 7 badges.

Hope this post clears it all up! Thanks for asking, I get sad when people don't understand the rules and play a game, and I have to disqualify them.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years

Yeah I apologies for that, I saw all the weird moves and was like "WHAT THE HELL", then I read back a few and saw you were doing a hack :P

Haru

Wolf Simp
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
So for a pink challenge i cant cheat anything in, because skitty is availible before gym 2?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
2nd Update!

Defeated the kimono girls and got Surf from the old man with the Nidoking or Nidoqueen, don't remember! :)
I then proceeded to face Morty and it was pretty easy until I had to go against his Gengar :S
Got to Olivine City and climbed up the lighthouse where I met Jasmine and she asked me to get some medicine from Cianwood City
I took the Medicine from the medicine guy
Then faced Chuck which was VERY easy with Insomnia
I got the Fly HM and flew back to Olivine City
I gave the medicine to Jasmine and she gave it to Ampharos, who instantly got better
With Jasmine headed back to the gym, I followed her and faced her in a difficult battle which I won thanks to Syringe's Twin Needle attack & Wildfire's Ember attack :)
I then headed to Mahogany Town where I went to the Lake of Rage to defeat the red Gyarados
Then I met Lance, who wanted me to help him in his investigation
While facing a few trainers at the Lake of Rage, Lumière evolved into an Ampharos :)
I went inside Team Rocket's hideout and faced every single grunt there
I'm about to face the Team Rocket Executive

Badges Obtained:
Spoiler:

Current Pokemon Team:
Spoiler:

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Last part of my Ultimate Purple, on Blue!

♦ I caught Atlas the Nidoking very early on my journey, whom I soloed with for a very long time. Actually, I didn't get a new team member until I headed to Fuchsia. Selene the Venonat was my second team member.
♦ Since the Super Rod is on the same route, I obtained it and went to fish up Nerites the Shellder.
♦ Trained both team members up and then battled Koga and Sabrina. Sabrina was fairly difficult due to my weakness, but I pulled it off.
♦ Before going to Cinnabar Island, I snatched the Old Amber, and then revived it into Aether the Aerodactyl once I got there.
♦ Beat the trainers I had skipped with Aether and also went through the mansion, in order to battle Blaine. He was defeated easily.
♦ Moved onto taking down Giovanni, my rival, Victory Road, the Elite Four and eventually the Champion!

Screen:
Spoiler:

My final color (for now at least) will be red, and I'll go with FireRed, Crystal, Ruby, Platinum and White 2.

Team:
Spr_1b_034.png

Atlas the Nidoking, Lv 53
Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, Surf

Spr_1b_049.png

Selene the Venomoth, Lv 53
Psychic, SolarBeam, Toxic, Leech Life

Spr_1b_091.png

Nerites the Cloyster, Lv 55
Surf, Spike Cannon, Blizzard, Ice Beam

Spr_1b_142.png

Aether the Aerodactyl, Lv 52
Sky Attack, Fire Blast, Fly, Take Down

munchhack

Advanced Scripter
Years
Username: Munchhack
Color:
Red
Game: I already beat FireRed, Crystal, and Ruby, Going to beat: Platinum, White 2
Ultimate: Yes
Notes: I beat the first three already, and i'm up on the champions for single, but that was like a year ago, just making sure I'm still in this.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 1, 2013
Sounds fun i'll try it. I'll Make it a Nuzlocke too.
UserName: Pokeminez
Colour: Blue
Game: Black2
Ultimate: No

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Finished White 2 for Red!

♦ Started with Blazog the Tepig after doing all the beginning stuff.
♦ Went to Floccesy Town and to the ranch, and then returned to Aspertia City to take on Cheren.
♦ He went down pretty easily, because Tepig had evolved at this point.
♦ Continued to Virbank City, where I first cleansed the Complex and then challenged Roxie.
♦ She didn't put up much of a fight, because Blazog was pretty high levelled at this point.
♦ Sailed to Castelia and defeated Burgh easily, after catching Nash the Sandile, but he wasn't used in the fight.
♦ On my way to Nimbasa, I caught Thawke the Braviary.
♦ Once I reached Nimbasa, I caught Centoxic the Venipede, and then I grinded my entire team up to Lv 30 on some breeders before taking on the gym.
♦ Elesa was easily defeatable thanks to my level advantage.
♦ Defeated Clay and Skyla along with some Plasma members every now and then.
♦ Before taking on Drayden, I captured my final team member, Sharpie the Pawniard.
♦ She was helpful in the gym battle and against the Plasma people who showed up after.
♦ Continued to Humilau City and defeated Marlon with some trouble, because I didn't really have anything that great to counter him with.
♦ Raided Plasma's ship and saved the world and stuff, and then continued through the Victory Road to the Elite Four.
♦ The Elite Four was pretty easy, but Iris proved to be more difficult. She went down in the end, though.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_5b_500.png

Blazog the Emboar, Lv 62 (♂)
Item: Leftovers
Strength, Flamethrower, Head Smash, Hammer Arm

Spr_5b_553.png

Nash the Krookodile, Lv 63 (♂)
Item: Soft Sand
Crunch, Outrage, Rock Tomb, Earthquake

Spr_5b_628.png

Thawke the Braviary, Lv 61 (♂)
Item: None
Fly, Superpower, Shadow Claw, Aerial Ace

Spr_5b_545.png

Centoxic the Scolipede, Lv 60 (♂)
Item: BrightPowder
X-Scissor, Venoshock, Toxic, Return

Spr_5b_625.png

Sharpie the Bisharp, Lv 60 (♀)
Item: Metal Coat
Iron Head, Slash, Night Slash, X-Scissor

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
It's taken me a while to get the next 4 badges, but I finally have them. While I was on my way to Pastoria and training in the grass on route 213, I found a shiny Buizel. Sadly I can't use it, but I did catch it.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
402.png

Jim the Quirky Kricketune (M) @ Lv.50
Ability: Swarm
Slash, Night Slash, X-scissor, Rock Smash
479-spin.png

Twinky the Sassy Fan Rotom (/) @ Lv.51
Ability: Levitate
Item: Spooky Plate
Discharge, Confuse Ray, Ominous Wind, Air Slash
308.png

Ron the Careful Medicham (M) @ Lv.50
Ability: Pure Power
Item: Mind Plate
Psychic, Hi Jump Kick, Fire Punch, Force Palm
136.png

Rawr the Naive Flareon (M) @ Lv.50
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Shell Bell
Return, Dig, Fire Fang, Bite
119.png

Cleo the Careful Seaking (F) @ Lv.48
Ability: Swift Swim
Poison Jab, Aqua Ring, Waterfall, Return
224.png

Squidward the Careful Octillery (M) @ Lv.49
Ability: Suction Cups
Signal Beam, Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 29, 2020
Hi, doing my first challenge here.

Some questions first:
- Butterfree's body is blue, but the list says white (for the wings of course). Is the list final? (Can I count Butterfree for blue?)
- Regional pokemon only. Uhm. Define regional? Regional dex? So, in Platinum, Abra is allowed (Gen I, but in regional dex), but Grimer isn't (available in game, but not in regional dex)?

Asked my girlfriend her favourite colour and blue it was.

Username: dexter1o6
Colour: blue
Game: HeartGold
Ultimate: Not yet :P

Progress: currently running around with a Totodile only and 1 badge.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Hi, doing my first challenge here.

Some questions first:
- Butterfree's body is blue, but the list says white (for the wings of course). Is the list final? (Can I count Butterfree for blue?)
- Regional pokemon only. Uhm. Define regional? Regional dex? So, in Platinum, Abra is allowed (Gen I, but in regional dex), but Grimer isn't (available in game, but not in regional dex)?
The list is based on the Pokedex color, so that's what we go by here.
Regional, as in the Dex your game is using prior to getting the National Pokedex. That changes between regions and can also be different for games, as in the case of Black and Black 2, which have different Dexs (Unova vs. New Unova) even though they are both in the Unova region.

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
I finally defeated the Elite Four and the Champion, so Platinum is finished. Don't really know which one I'm going to do next, but we'll see.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
402.png

Jim the Quirky Kricketune (M) @ Lv.51
Item: Razor Claw
Slash, Night Slash, X-scissor, Rock Smash
479-spin.png

Twinky the Sassy Fan Rotom (/) @ Lv.56
Ability: Levitate
Item: Spooky Plate
Discharge, Dark Pulse, Ominous Wind, Air Slash
308.png

Ron the Careful Medicham (M) @ Lv.55
Ability: Pure Power
Item: Fist Plate
Psychic, Hi Jump Kick, Fire Punch, Force Palm
136.png

Rawr the Naive Flareon (M) @ Lv.55
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Shell Bell
Return, Dig, Fire Fang, Bite
119.png

Cleo the Careful Seaking (F) @ Lv.55
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: Poison Barb
Poison Jab, Aqua Ring, Waterfall, Return
224.png

Squidward the Careful Octillery (M) @ Lv.55
Ability: Suction Cups
Signal Beam, Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Platinum's down!

♦ Picked Turtig for my starter/HM slave, and soon after caught a Kricketot. He helped me for the first 2 gyms, and then I caught my first real member, N. Gin the Rotom.
♦ Trained Rotom up a bit and then trekked aaaaall the way to Veilstone City, which was pretty fun and cool and awesome. Obtained a Porygon, whom I named Epilep-Z.
♦ I also caught a Scyhter on my way there, named Saxcut. Since Epilep-Z wasn't gonna be that helpful against Maylene, I used Saxcut instead.
♦ Went to Pastoria City, and fished up a Remoraid that I named Kracto.
♦ In order to make my gym battle against Crasher Wake easier, I decided to change Rotom to its Mow Forme, and thereby gain access to Leaf Storm.
♦ Brought him down easily and then adventured to Celestic Town.
♦ Defeated Cyrus and got Surf. Did some sidequests, and one of them was to catch my final team member, Gunther the Magmar!
♦ After I was done with the sidequests, I eventually made it to Canalave City.
♦ Sailed to Iron Island to train a bit, and then took on Byron, mostly using Gunther.
♦ Some Galactic Grunt set of a bomb, so I investigated it all and then went to Snowpoint City.
♦ Candice was easy thanks to Gunther.
♦ Meddled more in Galactic's affairs, and thereafter went to the Spear Pillar.
♦ Distortion World etc etc etc
♦ Made it to Sunyshore City and challenged Volkner. Since I didn't really have anything particularly effective against him, he was pretty tough, but I beat him in the end.
♦ Went throuuuuuugh Victory Road to the Pokémon League, where the Elite Four awaited me. They were all pretty difficult.
♦ Cynthia also put up a fight, but alas, I became the champion:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_4p_479L.png

N. Gin the Rotom, Lv 54
Item: Spell Tag
Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Toxic, Leaf Storm

Spr_4p_474.png

Epilep-Z the Porygon-Z, Lv 53
Psychic, Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Nasty Plot

Spr_4p_212_m.png

Saxcut the Scizor, Lv 54 (♂)
Item: Razor Fang
Iron Head, Night Slash, Swords Dance, X-Scissor

Spr_4p_224_m.png

Kracto the Octillery, Lv 55 (♀)
Item: Poison Barb
Surf, Charge Beam, Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam

Spr_4p_467.png

Gunther the Magmortar, Lv 55 (♂)
Item: Fist Plate
Earthquake, Flamethrower, Strength, Brick Break

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Monocolor Challenge (Yellow).

Final Update (#2) on White 2.

• Well, I know I have been a bit lax in updating my progress, but I ended up finishing this yesterday.
  • Caught Tetravolt the Joltik in Chargestone Cave and Axeman the Axew in Mistralton Cave to complete my team.
  • Got screenshots from Driftveil City to the Champion.
  • Here's a video and play-by-play of the fight against Iris:

Video:
    Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Team Sunny (Final):
542.gif

Smiley the Hardy Leavanny, ♀ - L61 @ SilverPowder
Moves: X-Scissor, Return, Leaf Blade, Swords Dance
Final Stats: 198/176/117/99/106/150
Unova MVP
466.gif

Erik the Bashful Electivire, ♂ - L61 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Static
Moves: Wild Charge, Ice Punch, Swift, Low Kick, Fire Punch
Final Stats: 182/198/97/128/130/151
Iris co-MVP
567.gif

Khufu the Naughty Archeops, ♂ - L62 @ Flying Gem (poof!)
Ability: Defeatist
Moves: Acrobatics, Crunch, Rock Slide, Aqua Tail
Final Stats: 199/255/101/155/88/173
Elite Four MVP, Iris co-MVP
563.gif

Hatshepsut the Bold Cofagrigus, ♂ - L61 @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Moves: Shadow Ball, Pain Split, Energy Ball, Protect
Final Stats: 158/63/229/167/164/44
596.gif

Tetravolt the Bold Galvantula, ♀ - L61 @ Magnet
Ability: Compoundeyes