• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Yeah, that's true. It might be pretty annoying to change it because you're using a custom tileset.

Anyway, on the topic of maps, do you think I'd be able to make a tool which converts an RPG Maker XP map into a map in a hack? It would be pretty tough, but I have an idea of how to do it... Basically, I'd have the tool scan through the map, finding all the different combinations of tiles used (there are three layers of tiles). For each combination of up to three tiles (one on each layer), the user would select a corresponding block. It could probably work in reverse, too; I've seen a few ROM hackers who have turned to RPG Maker, who might appreciate this.
So, would anyone actually use a tool like this?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Anyway, on the topic of maps, do you think I'd be able to make a tool which converts an RPG Maker XP map into a map in a hack? It would be pretty tough, but I have an idea of how to do it... Basically, I'd have the tool scan through the map, finding all the different combinations of tiles used (there are three layers of tiles). For each combination of up to three tiles (one on each layer), the user would select a corresponding block. It could probably work in reverse, too; I've seen a few ROM hackers who have turned to RPG Maker, who might appreciate this.
So, would anyone actually use a tool like this?
I don't know if it's possible but it seems like a lot of work for a tool that a lot of people won't be able to use. The only people who might need it are people who are switching their game from one platform to the other, and there aren't many people who do that. But if you decide to make it, remember that there is a maximum map size in AdvanceMap.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I don't know if it's possible but it seems like a lot of work for a tool that a lot of people won't be able to use. The only people who might need it are people who are switching their game from one platform to the other, and there aren't many people who do that. But if you decide to make it, remember that there is a maximum map size in AdvanceMap.

I agree completely. It would be useful to some, but it's a lot of work for a small crowd of people.

Years
The opacity for me is set pretty low, because I sometimes have trouble determining what the hell the tile is underneath. So it's .7 for me. I agree, however, it's a very nice feature.

Lol. I've been hacking Red Rescue Team for the lulz. Turns out most of the sprites are uncompressed and can be easily edited in any tile viewer. See attached images for an example in which I changed Eevee to a Venus Djinni and Torchic to a Mars Djinni. The colours aren't exact due to the palate restrictions, however... and I got lazy so I just changed a few of the sprites instead of the whole sheet.

Me and The*4 used to do a bit of research on PMD... We decoded a bit of the scripting...
I remember I wrote an crappy overworld editor, text editor, starter, pokemon, attack, and a bit other stuff...

How serius are you in hacking the PMD, Would you like me to dig a bit of stuff up?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Me and The*4 used to do a bit of research on PMD... We decoded a bit of the scripting...
I remember I wrote an crappy overworld editor, text editor, starter, pokemon, attack, and a bit other stuff...

How serius are you in hacking the PMD, Would you like me to dig a bit of stuff up?
Personally, I'm not very interested because I never really enjoyed the gameplay. Still, I'm sure a lot of other people would be eager to give PMD hacking a shot. The problem is we just don't have enough people who are willing to research a new game (hence the lack of progress on D/P/P hacking).

Years
Mm, good idea. This will probably clear up a bunch of threads in the main ROM Hacking forum that can be answered in a single post.
Let's see, what to talk about...
Oh yes! How 'bout why people don't like hacking Emerald? They claim it's "unstable" but I haven't seen any proof of that. I've been working with it for a little while now and I think it's great! Animated battle sprites, larger secondary tilesets (as opposed to FR/LG), more map "folders", all R/S/E and FR/LG music plus select tracks from G/S and even Crystal. I mean, what's not to love?
Exactly what I'm thinking.I've been hacking on two seperate Emerald
ROMs(Because when you have ZipGenius just about everything you
download gets an archive)and I love the features of them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I think one of the problems people might have with Emerald is that it's a bit harder to edit sprites. Sure, you get animations, but what if you want to add a new Pokémon? I haven't seen anyone actually edit those animations... Also, aren't the palettes of the Pokémon sprites stored somewhere else in the ROM? I think I remember seeing something along the lines of that editing the palettes of the two-frame sprites with unLZ-GBA doesn't work, and you have to find the actual palettes that are used... Maybe this puts people off Emerald, as they're used to inserting both sprites and palettes at the same time...

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I think one of the problems people might have with Emerald is that it's a bit harder to edit sprites. Sure, you get animations, but what if you want to add a new Pokémon? I haven't seen anyone actually edit those animations... Also, aren't the palettes of the Pokémon sprites stored somewhere else in the ROM? I think I remember seeing something along the lines of that editing the palettes of the two-frame sprites with unLZ-GBA doesn't work, and you have to find the actual palettes that are used... Maybe this puts people off Emerald, as they're used to inserting both sprites and palettes at the same time...

xD, Actually I don't think that's it at all.
I've managed to insert a animated turtwig with new palletes, only using unLZ-GBA.
But I don't really remember, It was a long time ago.

//44tim44

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
Years
i was looking in emerald i found alot of unlz stuff if anyone wants them
they actually useful if youre making an emerald hack
257 birch bag inside
309-321 intro stuff
349 ribbons
356-1813 pokemons
1868-1960 trainers
1963-1993 battle grounds
2008-2026 battle animations
2039-2044 intro pokemon
2052 the clouds from the rayquaza cutscene at the end
2057 intro rayquaza
2070 applause
2110 types
2126 dont know what it is but looks important
2135 the pokeblock case
2138 berrie types
2148-2190 berries
2232-2239 pokeballs
2241-2444 items
2525 badges
2526 pokedex
2527 pokedex
2537 pokedex
2540 where it says the copyright stuff
2542 area unknown (pokedex)
2543 contest stats
2545 dont know what it is but looks important
2568 buttons and clock
2615 frontier pass

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
i was looking in emerald i found alot of unlz stuff if anyone wants them
they actually useful if youre making an emerald hack
257 birch bag inside
309-321 intro stuff
349 ribbons
356-1813 pokemons
1868-1960 trainers
1963-1993 battle grounds
2008-2026 battle animations
2039-2044 intro pokemon
2052 the clouds from the rayquaza cutscene at the end
2057 intro rayquaza
2070 applause
2110 types
2126 dont know what it is but looks important
2135 the pokeblock case
2138 berrie types
2148-2190 berries
2232-2239 pokeballs
2241-2444 items
2525 badges
2526 pokedex
2527 pokedex
2537 pokedex
2540 where it says the copyright stuff
2542 area unknown (pokedex)
2543 contest stats
2545 dont know what it is but looks important
2568 buttons and clock
2615 frontier pass
You do realize those numbers differ between each rom, right?
They're around there somewhere, but not exactly.

On another note, updates on my scripting tutorial to be expected soon.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
A-Map has no such function to my understanding, but I see what you're getting at. Most of the time when mapping, the tiles are usually the same when it comes to impassable tiles, but the system would fail with maps featuring several levels and requiring the 0 tile passibility setting (overlap of layers). You see, Pokemon, when generating maps like Lilycove City, requires different passibility levels even though they use the same tiles, just so they don't have to put an obstacle every single time there is a level change (like a row of rocks).

In the end, it would be a very useful feature, if it could be used in an .ini file, but in the end it would need to be an option or else it would be very difficult to work with maps like Lilycove.

Such feature was asked to LU-HO already, but it can't really be made as any tileset can contain just any tiles, and how can you tell from the picture is something is walkable or not?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
But what if a feature was created where you could set the movement permission for each block while in the block editor?

Well, I get your point. A sort of movement-permission-paint-bucket-like feature. It would be handy, of course. You set a single bush tile as not walkable in the map for example, and all other bush tiles in the map become not walkable as well.

Years
You do realize those numbers differ between each rom, right?
They're around there somewhere, but not exactly.

On another note, updates on my scripting tutorial to be expected soon.

You do realize those numbers differ don't between each rom, right?
He said emerald... And I guess he means the english emerald(Cus now one cares about others)

Anyway pretty pointless though, If you wanted to edit any of those things you could propperly find them pretty fast...
I'd say thanks though...
Thanks.
(I don't hack emerald though)

Years
Well,if you put it that way,yes.But,whatever people say about Emerald being unstable is wrong.Look at FireRed.1 medium mess-up:Crashed.

Years
"medium mess-up"
Uhmm, It's true emerald isn't unstable but I don't think you understand it right though...
What's a bit, medium and much mess-up?
Bit mess up-Insert a Pokemon sprite bigger than it's
meant to be(Which means,make the workspace bigger and forget to
make it the original size)

Medium mess up-Edit stuff you're not meant to

Large mess up-Insert music/tiles wrongly

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
Years
well it seems no tutorial for scripting(that ive seen) had specials for emerald

so im going to the places that have them
and posting them here

1.Birch bag
special 0x9F

note:if anybody is wandering why im doing unlz stuff and specials for emerald its because im going to start working on an emerald hack soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back