• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

C++ OpenGL Pokémon Game Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hi I'm new to the forums but have been playing Pokemon for a long time. Well anyway here is my "game"

PC Monsters: a Pokemon engine.
My current version is still not at a playable stage yet so there is no demo.

The concept is that you will be able to create a region and populate it with your own Pokemon. These regions will be separate from the main region and to get to them you must "earn your way". People will be able to make download packs for people to install into the game which will contain new regions and Pokemon.

The story of my game is non existent right now mainly for the reason that this is going to be an engine for creating your own regions.

I have a video to post but I cannot because I have not made 15 posts yet.
here is the url

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
You have a LONG way to go buddy, to save you the trouble, look up vectors. You will need to know vector math if you want to work with OpenGL, mainly for collision. You might get away with bounding box collision though. For my game, there will be a need for vectors. I will check up on it. BTW im not familiar with Wii Homebrew, but I am assuming you are using the SDL port? Also engine as in a full tool set and scripting language (as far as I know, you might just be ifstream ing in a text file with the text, thats not really scripting) In an engine, there is NO story, its a thread bare game from the user point of view. the developer (I say developer, not the programmer) has a toolset from maps to scripting to even image editing for the more advanced ones. The programmers of course has the raw code he has to work with.

BTW you need sound too, if you didn't know, sound is a big part of games and a lot of programmers first starting sometime forget about it

Last edited:
Years
Yeah this project is in the drawing board section cause it is very very very young still.

I was considering using either lua for script interpereting. This Pokemon project actually stems back from a recreation of Game maker on the wii that i programmed (which used Lua heavily for object handling) for a short while, soon after tehskeen was shut down i lost the team support and so i have converted the code to focus on one game.

I'm pretty well versed on vectors and the like the engine i have is fully functional in the sense of collisions and the like. By Tile System I meant to say Map System, which includes characters, animations, collisions, and such. I just need to make an RPG Event system for handling the interactions.

The concept of this project may not bloom into a "full featured" SDK but more of a "Original RPG Maker" for fun engine. Make creating the game more of a game for creating? Right? lol

Or maybe I'll just turn out another fan game :) I got tons of Ideas. I just would prefer to be able to play the game on other platforms, and to be able to incorporate some ideas that i have that are not possible.... Well i should say.... Probable on RPG Maker.

EDIT:
Sound is err yeah, I want the game to be portable so i am looking to find a way to feed the sound buffer on the ds without using to many resources...

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Good Luck With It Brah, what are you using for the windowing system? SDL or is there a DS/Wii or what ever system you are pogramming on's specific library that handles that?

Years
All drawing is handled through custom libraries that I created for my Game Maker Wii Project. Window handling along with input and timing is done through SDL, or libOGC or libNDS depending on the platform it is compiled for.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
Q1. Are there going to be 2D graphics or 3D?
Q2. Either way, is it going to be like the Pokemon DS and GBA games?
(I as this because the other Pokemon games for Gamecube etc. are fully 3D)
In case it's just like the DS, you really don't need to do any vector math for collision. Since it's only a tilebased system. (even in 3D)

Years
I'm not going to attempt anything that will make it difficult to complete.
It will be 2d. I will try to make it as much like the newest iteration of pokemon. The resolution I am using is 640x480 for the pc so it leaves room for higher resolution sprites, currently I am using graphics i can find, later though i hope to get help with graphics and have ones created for 640x480 resolution.

I want to expand the breading system into something a little more interactive (lol not like that) and offer more then just a egg move or status change for breading.

Also Pokemon will have more personality in my game and badges will not MAKE a Pokemon obay you. more on that later gtg.

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
When will it come out? And is there a download link.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Okay buddy, I recommend that you read the rules. You shouldn't post in threads in which have not been posted in in over 2 months. This one is almost 3 years old. And don't ask for a download link or release date, if there isn't one quite obviously there, then there isn't one. Gonna close this up.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back