• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon AshGray Version (Beta 4.5 Released!!)

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
Years
The game will end with the episode "The Rivalry Revival." Maybe by the time it's done, Co500 will have started working on Johto Adventures again. He started that at about the same time I started this hack, so they're somewhat linked.

Yeah I should be starting JA again, Its nice to know people know what it is :)
How far are you into your hack now Metapod?

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Yeah I should be starting JA again, Its nice to know people know what it is :)
How far are you into your hack now Metapod?

About half way through Beta 3. GL with Johto Adventures - at the end of my hack, I kinda wanted to make an event that would clear all flags/variables and have you to rename the save file so you could bring your party from AshGray into Johto Adventures. I always thought that would be a good way to extend the game into Johto (without having to do it myself, lol).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2011
I have two questions regarding this game.

1. I pretty much skipped Koga's gym. I couldn't figure out how to get in, no matter how hard I tried. How do I get in there?

2. I just won the contest against Jessie for Misty, took Bulbasaur to see the Venusaur, and then found the Meowth for the child that had been attacked by a Beedrill. Where do I go next? Is the game finished right here? I can't figure it out.

EDIT: I should have read this first:

Face the back of one of the statues and press B.

Yes, that's the end of the beta.

Can't wait to play the next beta! I love this hack. It's easily up there with Brown and Prism IMO.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
Years
I have two questions regarding this game.

1. I pretty much skipped Koga's gym. I couldn't figure out how to get in, no matter how hard I tried. How do I get in there?

2. I just won the contest against Jessie for Misty, took Bulbasaur to see the Venusaur, and then found the Meowth for the child that had been attacked by a Beedrill. Where do I go next? Is the game finished right here? I can't figure it out.

1. You gotta talk to one of the statues and press B.

2. That's the end of the beta.

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
Years
About half way through Beta 3. GL with Johto Adventures - at the end of my hack, I kinda wanted to make an event that would clear all flags/variables and have you to rename the save file so you could bring your party from AshGray into Johto Adventures. I always thought that would be a good way to extend the game into Johto (without having to do it myself, lol).

That is a good idea, but im guessing hard to do, anyway Ive VM'ed you :)
Good luck to you aswell

Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2011
What do I do when I get to lavender town? I pulled the rope and everything but I can't figure what to do next.

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2012
I have a question for Co500 and metapod23. For a hack you need a ROM to initially work off of, correct(ie: Fire Red for Ash Gray)? If this is true then which one would you work off of? HG / SS or the originals? If this is true wouldn't that complicate the process of moving your party from hack to hack due to the differences of the generations? I have no experience hacking so I wouldn't know but this is just an educated guess. Then again, this is if you even try to transfer parties. Or, if its possible, you could just make the Johto Adventures hack have all of Ash's original pokemon in there respective places, such as at Oak's Lab or how he released his Butterfree. Sorry for the long question I'm just curious. Thanks.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I have a question for Co500 and metapod23. For a hack you need a ROM to initially work off of, correct(ie: Fire Red for Ash Gray)? If this is true then which one would you work off of? HG / SS or the originals?

You're better off working with 3rd generation games - Fire Red, Ruby, or Emerald, simply because there aren't as many tools for the others, nor as much research, as far as I know. You can't change much in the 4th/5th generation games, and it's 3-D models for the overworlds, which I don't think can really be edited properly, so you can only make certain changes. You can change almost everything in 3rd gen games.

If this is true wouldn't that complicate the process of moving your party from hack to hack due to the differences of the generations? I have no experience hacking so I wouldn't know but this is just an educated guess. Then again, this is if you even try to transfer parties. Or, if its possible, you could just make the Johto Adventures hack have all of Ash's original pokemon in there respective places, such as at Oak's Lab or how he released his Butterfree. Sorry for the long question I'm just curious. Thanks.

Since Johto Adventures and AshGray both use Fire Red as a basis, their save files should be compatible. Thus, you can take the AshGray save file, and move it into a folder with Johto Adventures, change its name, and have all the Pokemon you caught in AshGray be in Johto Adventures.

If I set up an event that clears all the flags, badges, etc. you can basically start over in JA, with all the Pokemon you had in AshGray - that's the idea I had, anyway - I hope it would work in practice.

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2012
In ver 2.5 j cant buy any thing in the shop the item is "???????" and sell 0$ so i cant buy a pokeball ,potion ... Ver 2.1 work great what hp with 2.5 ?

Years
I believe that Cinnibar Island will be giant and have a volcano like the anime. I also believe that the lab was also in the anime and was based on fighting Pokemon. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I like to see that you're back on this Metapod ;)
G'luck to you =)

And I think your idea of clearing flags in order to continue in Johto in JA is interesting and it probably can be done just like you planned but do you think it'd be good?
I mean... you finish AshGray with 50lvs for example and then Johto would have to be kinda overpowered... Well yeah it had been done in HG/SS but it was reversed =D Well but it is your idea, I think it'd be interesting and I hope you can do it =D

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Dude you are a smart guy for making this hack lovin' it.
By the way, I just made a walkthrough for the hack with commentary. :) here's the link: (only 1 part for now) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npiXTNVYlDo

Thanks! ^_^

I like to see that you're back on this Metapod ;)
G'luck to you =)

And I think your idea of clearing flags in order to continue in Johto in JA is interesting and it probably can be done just like you planned but do you think it'd be good?
I mean... you finish AshGray with 50lvs for example and then Johto would have to be kinda overpowered... Well yeah it had been done in HG/SS but it was reversed =D Well but it is your idea, I think it'd be interesting and I hope you can do it =D

JA could be pretty easy if you bring those high level Pokemon into the game, true, but you'll also acquire low-level Pokemon to train, and Ash does give up most of his high-level Pokemon as the series goes on. Eventually everything would even out, I think, since the high-level Pokemon just won't get enough experience to level up against any low-level Pokemon you battle in-game, if you decide to only battle with the original cast from AshGray.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
JA could be pretty easy if you bring those high level Pokemon into the game, true, but you'll also acquire low-level Pokemon to train, and Ash does give up most of his high-level Pokemon as the series goes on. Eventually everything would even out, I think, since the high-level Pokemon just won't get enough experience to level up against any low-level Pokemon you battle in-game, if you decide to only battle with the original cast from AshGray.
Oh my god your still working on this hack......AWESOME!!! I am looking forward to the next beta, now I never thought you would JA, I knew you were doing orange isles, are you gonna do hoenn aswell? I don't count on sinnoh or unova,be cause you would have to add pokemon in while?

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
Years
Oh my god your still working on this hack......AWESOME!!! I am looking forward to the next beta, now I never thought you would JA, I knew you were doing orange isles, are you gonna do hoenn aswell? I don't count on sinnoh or unova,be cause you would have to add pokemon in while?

um.... im the developer of JA not metapod :P
but yes I hope to start work on it soon.

Back