• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Taking Advantage of the Title Screen (FR/LG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Taking Advantage of the Fire Red Title Screen
Document written by thethethethe

Okay, some may have seen the title screen I created for my hack that may never be continued. Some people may have seen this already it's been at PHO's main site for quite a while, but I only just thought I'd post it here.

So what's needed:
  • VBA
  • Unlz.Gba
  • Paint
  • A Tile Map Editor

There is some assumed knowledge here, like knowing how to use tools, knowing about the palette options in your tilemap editor, and how to palette edit anything.

Now before I start, let me say, you almost definately will not get this right on your first go. You'll make mistakes, I recommend backing up as soon as you get even just one part to work.
We'll begin with ripping the needed files from the rom with unlz.gba. I'll give an approximate Unlz Number for these files but remember that they do differ.
When taking them from the rom, make sure the images are saved as a .gif.
  • 141 - Flames
  • 2009 - Pokemon Logo
  • 2010 - Pokemon Logo Tilemap
  • 2011 - Charizard
  • 2012 - Charizard Tilemap
  • 2013 - 'Press Start'/'Gamefreak'
  • 2014 - 'Press Start'/'Gamefreak' Tilemap

I did add the flames, although I'm just going to remove them with my example title screen.

We will start by changing the Pokemon.
Charizard.png
I'm going to change it to Rayquaza. So I'll have to find an image. I'll be using the Giant Rayquaza shown at the Sootopolis event in Pokemon Emerald.
This one.
untitled-2.png
But first I'll need to index it and make sure all the tiles will fit into the Cyclone writing style.
So I'll end up with this.
Pokemonimage.png

Then we'll need to redo our tilemap to make it look the way we need it to go from this:
image1.png
to this:
image2.png
You'll see I've added a tail to the image, I took the tail from the Rayquaza in Pokemon Pinball.
Now we insert those files into the rom, and palette edit it. The file will be too big, you will need to repoint it to new space.
You can test it to see if it worked out, but I'm too lazy and I'm just going to show the final product.

Now we'll move onto these:
2013 - 'Press Start'/'Gamefreak'
2014 - 'Press Start'/'Gamefreak' Tilemap
Here's our original image.
gamefreakj.png
I'm changing that to:
background-1.gif
Now I re-order my tilemap to this.
image3.png
Looking good so far.
Insert those two files to the rom, palette edit, and I'm almost done.

All that's left is the Pokemon logo.
I'm not even going to change the image here.
Here's the tilemap I made.
image4.png
All I did is remove the 'Fire Red' text, as I added the 'Legend of Dragons' text in my gamefreak image.

All that's left, is for me to remove the flames, here you have to choices, either palette edit them to the colour of the background or just simply overwriting the image with a blank image.

Now that that is done, here's my finished screen fully palette edited and changed.
LoD_01-1.png
Tutorial written by thethethethe.
Do not claim as your own.
All images and resources may be used, although give credit to thethethethe
Don't ask for palette offsets. Find them yourself because I'll ignore those posts.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
Nice tut verry nice this is whan of the best tuts for titlescreen editing

sorry for bad inglish i am dutch.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Great, this is pretty awesome, thethethethe! The Tips and Tricks dshayabusa put into the RHN were a little confusing split up, and this helps a lot. Good job!

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Great tutorial as always, TheTheTheThe ;)

This tutorial was essential for me, making my titlescreen.
So thanks~ ^^
(I found the tut on PHO since it was posted there a while back)

Keep doing this great tutorials, Thex4.
You're great at writing easy-to-understand and good-outcome
tutorials.

At least I think so!

//44tim44

X-aveon

IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2012
nice tutorial!, even though it's been on pho for awhile.

Dratii

Working on something new...
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Great tutorial Thethethethe I will use this to make a title screen for my hack (when I have time)

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Very cool but I have an error with my Cyclone. it says the file FM20.DLL is not found, so the exe file can't run. =[ If I fix it ever, though, Ill be using this tut! Great job!

derv1205

Trade/Battle/Breed/Clone (X,B2,D)
Years
Great tutorial thex4 ^^ Thanks a lot dude, it's very useful ;)
Very cool but I have an error with my Cyclone. it says the file FM20.DLL is not found, so the exe file can't run. =[ If I fix it ever, though, Ill be using this tut! Great job!
Well, just put in google "FM20.DLL" and download that file and paste it in the folder where
you have Cyclone.
If it doesn's work, you can use other TileMap editors, like PTC TileMap ^^

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Where are the pallette offsets please.
Nice tut though.

Edit: I've tried everything I can think of but I can't change the pallete, someone pls help!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
Ugh.. I'm stuck... I can't seem to find Celebi's image offset in Unlz_GBA. I'm trying to make Celebi replace Charizard in FR. The reason I'm trying to find it in Unlz is to make the palette editing part so much easier. Anyone know what it is?

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
Thanks.. I just want to know the index of the palettes for the flames? I don't want to edit them I just want to make the flames colored green... Except I can't seem to find the palette for em XD. By index I mean by in APE when u load the palette of the title screen and you choose an index (IE Charizard's palette is index 14).

Oh and Nytoki I suck at and hate palette editing too so sorry can't help you on that.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
What is the UnlZ number for the background? (The blue background). Because I want to change that into a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back