• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you react when an anime/manga ends?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
What goes through your mind when you complete an anime/manga series, especially if it was a great series? Do you feel relief knowing how the story ends? Or do you have a sense of sadness for having to part-ways with characters you've grown attached to? When do you begin to look for another series to watch? Discuss~

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I usually get a little sad when an anime ends. Sometimes it's hard for me to watch the final episode or two, because I know it'll be over, and I don't want it to be. xD If I like it enough, I usually stay into for a time after it ends, and then eventually re-watch it.

Years
Majority of the series that I've watched honestly didn't leave much of an impression that would warrant me to being sad or depressed. There are the selected few that have managed to leave a mark and sometimes I even go back to re-watch them. I feel like dying characters have more of an impact on me than a series ending \: It all depends on what the series was about and how well the studio developed the story.

Years
It was tough to cope when the Hitman Reborn anime ended. I was obsessed for quite a while so when that final episode was announced I just couldn't believe it until there were no more episodes the following weeks and yeah.. luckily the manga was still around then but then that ended later down the road. :( Felt like a huge part of me was empty.

It's pretty sad when the series in question is one you're really attached to.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Some of my personal favorites... Clannad, Gurren Lagann, AnoHana, Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Hyouka (that damn tease at the end....) etc.

They all leave me with a void in which I am helpless to do anything except just stop watching anime for a while XD it's kinda funny cause after my first depressed void (clannad) I found AnoHana which continued the cycle.... Idk i just go out and do stuff and don't watch an anime for a while if it impacted me

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
There's only one phrase in my mind when such things happened: "Well, that was quick?"

Years
At first when I get into an anime I'm really psyched and just want to push further and further into the story but the closer I get to the end the more I don't want it to stop. It's actually a little depressing when an anime ends (especially the good ones) because you've dedicated a fair bit of time to the series immersing yourself in the story and growing attached to characters and then suddenly it's over and you're left with - to use Apollo's phrase - this void in your life.

I generally jump to a new anime pretty quick to fill the void and generally that's enough to make me feel better haha. Good endings are both the best and the worst xD

I'm the same for most series though be it anime, TV, books

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Hyouka (that damn tease at the end....)

There will be a second season, hopefully. The animation was wonderful and the author is still making the second book of the classics club (hyouka)

Oh yeah, I mope around the house for a few days and like cry myself to sleep. I think the worst anime that did it for me was Dragon Ball GT and what happens to Amuro and Char in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 13, 2014
Well I usually get sad for a few minutes, then it's on the next one lol

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I tend to be satisfied for the most part and look forward to rewatching later and pick up what I missed it if it's an anime I really liked.

The exception is Hajime no Ippo. I felt so empty when it ended, it was as if I was part of its world.

Last edited:

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
usually a little sad if I really liked it, but most of the time I just get a small feeling of fulfillment and move on to another anime to fill the void!

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
I just become really sad and sit in a corner for about a second thinking about what to do next then I just go back to using the internet and such.
It usually bothers me that they make good animes usually based on mangas short. ;-;

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Depends on whether I enjoyed the anime. Well, obviously I wouldn't keep watching the anime if I didn't like it, but there are different levels of how much I enjoyed animes/mangas. And with the ones I really liked; I definitely feel a bit sad that it's over, and want more. I think some notable examples would be the Dragonball series, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gantz (the manga; the anime wasn't really that great) and so on. I'd love to put Yu Yu Hakusho on here too, but unfortunately I felt like it died a bit after the Dark Tournament saga. I honestly don't really have any animes where I felt happy that they ended, since most have either left me wanting more, or are still on-going. Well, perhaps Sword Art Online. It was great in the beginning, but started going downhill after ALFheim became a thing, and it just kinda needed to end before it really went bad :(

Not much else to it. Guess I'm just really greedy when it comes to the good plots ;D

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
If it's a great anime where I really enjoyed the ride and followed it through to the very end, I will initially feel bummed, but will overcome that feeling within a few hours. If it's basically a masterpiece or it's just a melancholic story, I feel quite empty. It's difficult to move onto a new series when my heart is stinging!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
If it was a great series with a great ending I normally feel sad because I really wish I could keep watching it, but I wouldn't want them to keep going with it and ruining the ending ~_~ (Gurren Lagann and Clannad mostly) I really liked Madoka's original TV ending and disliked how everything became ♥♥♥♥ed up in the movie sequel D;

If it's a TV series that I didn't really love or dislike, I normally just feel glad I managed to finish it, haha.

Infernape

fire power!
Years
From the CLAMP series, I felt a bit disappointed when they ended. I also like to watch romance animies (my guilty pleasure, I guess) and I love the happy endings, but at the same time, I want more of the series.

Back