• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is the best voice actor for ash?

Who is the best voice actor for ash?

• Veronica Taylor

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Sarah Natochenny

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
after watching a ton of old episodes in a row and the movies im all the way into season 11. it took me a while to get used to sarah notochenny as ash, but now that i am i realize that she is actually better than vtaylor (although vtaylor does a way better may). what do you think?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I honestly prefer Veronica Taylor over Sarah as Ash. It's mostly the fact that I grew up watching the anime with her voice as Ash. It was weird when TCPI took over the dub and replaced the voice actor with imitators cause it was "cheaper". That made me so mad and the new voices were bad imo. She just doesn't put as much charm or enthusian in her voice as Veronica in my opinion. Though after I started watching the anime again, I have to admit Sarah Natochenny is getting better at her Ash voice. It seems around Sinnoh early Unova saga she has broken it in and has gotten better.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I always preferred Veronica over Sarah. Veronica always suited Ash while Sarah never suited Ash. If you ask me, the sudden voice change annoyed me. Veronica should come back and voice for Ash, but chances of that happening are slim, sadly. But she was a great voice actress for him.

Years
I don't know any of the Japanese voice actors but of the 2 English speaking voice actors you've mentioned, I find Veronica Taylor's voice to deliver both nostalgia and allurement. Hooray :-) and I agree with other people, the sudden voice change rather annoyed me as well.!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Veronica's was the best. I can't really explain it, but her voice was just perfect for his character. It matched up so well.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
For me, I'd have to say Veronica Taylor is my pick. Sarah Natochenny works for an older, more mature Ash, but is far too rough and deep for my taste. She doesn't fit the fact that he is 10 years old. No boy has a voice that deep at that age. I'm just being realistic and using common sense...Taylor was more fitting for the character to me in general.

I've noticed Sarah's improved in Black and White, but something about her voice is still artificial/fake. You can hear her straining to do the voice, and it sounds very forced and dry at times. Her laugh is still just awful. It sounds like Fran the Nanny...no joke.

Taylor was high pitched at first, yes, but Ash is a 10 year old boy. It complements him perfectly in that respect. Taylor also proved she could do deeper Ash more smoothly and less roughly/strained than Sarah in Advanced Generation, so I would still prefer that voice for mature Ash.

Though, in general, I prefer every single dub voice in the 4Kids dub to the current dub ones. The current ones are decent, and I will say that much, but nothing really amazing or passionate in their performances at all. Some of the voices they use are extremely inappropriate given the ages of many of the characters.

I will say Sarah's Ash sounds more like a boy than it ever has before, and it's a decent performance now, but Veronica's Ash was better, IMO.

I have to agree Michele's May bothers me more than Sarah's Ash, though. I still prefer Veronica for both chars voices, though.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
yeah whenever i think back to the hoenn saga the phrase all i hear in my head is may saying "skitty, take the stage!" and i got chills down my back just typing that.

Back