• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cop kills a litter of kittens in front of screaming children

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
On Monday in Ohio, animal control Officer Barry Accorti shot and killed a litter of kittens in front of freaked-out children nearby. "He informed [a witness] that shelters were full and that these cats would be going to kitty heaven," Ohio SPCA Executive Director Teresa Landon told the Sun News.

Landon said the home owner, who had called for help, assumed the officer "would be trapping them or something and taking them to a shelter and they would be humanely euthanized if they were not adopted."

"Instead, he went to his truck and got a gun, which she thought was a tranquilizer gun, and walked around to the back of the house and approximately 15 feet from her back door shot and killed the 8- to 10-week-old kittens."

The stunned observer alerted the Ohio SPCA to the officer's actions, and the animal rights group responded with a Facebook campaign to "expose" the behavior and call for accountability.

"Her children were upstairs in view of the windows. They started screaming and crying because they heard the gunshots. They started screaming, 'Mommy, he's killing the kittens,'" Landon said, "It's heartbreaking… There is no excuse for it. It's absolutely shameful that someone with the title of humane officer would do this."

North Ridgeville Police Department Chief Mike Freeman released a statementdefending Accorti, who the Ohio SPCA has demanded be fired and charged with animal abuse.

"The cats were located within the wood pile and euthanized," Freeman said, "The cats were removed from the wood pile and taken from the residence."

He decided Accorti's "actions were appropriate," and will not "impose any disciplinary measures for the incident."

http://www.alternet.org/cop-shot-litter-kittens-front-screaming-children

Thank you Mr. Accorti, for protecting us from these dangerous beasts, and for tramutizing these children.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
See things like this is absolutely disgusting. The US citizens rely on the police to exercise their power for the greater interest of the public. Shooting 10 week old kittens is absolutely plain wrong and an abuse of power, what are state policemen all of a sudden trigger happy.

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
kids were inside, not right in front like the headline makes it sound. feral cats were euthanized. not really a big deal. what did you expect the officer to do, take it to the vet and waste time killing it with chemicals? if it were a feral anything else, this wouldn't even be a story.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
euthanasia =/= shot to death

It was done in full view of children - Tell me, what kind of person can justify killing harmless kittens in view of young children?

I'd be of a diffrient opinion if these kittens were... You know... a actual threat? But they weren't. If this was a fully grown dog, a bear, some other animal that could pose a threat then yeah - I'd support it. But to kill kittens in the view of children? Only a monster, for lack of a better term, could justify this.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I dunno, I saw a lot worse stuff growing up. I guess I can't really feel sorry for the kids or anything cause it's no worse than what a lot of people see on TV. Actually, I kind of giggle inside my head, because I'm wondering how sheltered you have to be to be traumatized by something like this. Anyway, the kittens probably would have been killed anyway, and I probably wouldn't have cared either way because that's the way things work. All of these animal lovers letting their pets go off and do whatever without having them neutered, which then creates all of these stray animals that we have to deal with one way or another.

Of course the guy's boss is defending him. Cops have to handle human-on-human violence on an almost daily basis...this must have seemed so trivial to him, too. I definitely will admit that shooting kittens with a gun is overkill, though!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Watching someone slaughter harmless animals isn't traumatic?

I'll agree, somewhat. This depends on the age of the watcher - You at 22 have seen worse. You look at it and say "Meh, I've seen worse". Your, due to your age and experiences, hardened enough to not see what the issue is with the pointless slaughtering of these kittens and are also able to find humor in this type of event.

We don't know the age of these children, but given their reactions to witnessing the pointless slaughter of these harmless animals, they are probably rather young.

I see the necessity in putting down animals - It's a sad truth, but it's something that has to be done. But their is a diffrence between the necessity of putting animals down, and the pointless killing of animals. This isn't a case of necessity - This is just a case of the animal control officer being to ****ing lazy to catch the animals and take them to a shelter where they can either be put up for adoption, or put down (Out of the sight of children). These animals posed no threat to him, no threat to anyone - A minor annoyance at most. Their was no justifiable reason for him to whip out the rifle and start shooting them in a area that was in full view of young children.

Last edited:

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
euthanasia =/= shot to death

It was done in full view of children - Tell me, what kind of person can justify killing harmless kittens in view of young children?

I'd be of a diffrient opinion if these kittens were... You know... a actual threat? But they weren't. If this was a fully grown dog, a bear, some other animal that could pose a threat then yeah - I'd support it. But to kill kittens in the view of children? Only a monster, for lack of a better term, could justify this.
yes, shooting to death a litter of feral (not harmless) kittens counts as euthanasia. they're homeless and they would've starved/rotted to death if they weren't shot. or they could've infected someone with their claws.

it's really not as big of a deal as the article makes it seem. the kids decided to look out the window of the second floor of their home. it's not the officer's fault he was called up to take care of an animal control problem.

if you think they should've gone to a shelter, then blame the mom for not doing it herself. who's the lazy one?

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
The question is, was SHOOTING kittens the RIGHT thing to do? As Mr. X stated, they could have been trapped and humanely euthanized. I'm not sure if they were too old to be socialized and adopted out by 10 weeks, but either way... The mother of the children was under the impression that the cats would be taken elsewhere, not shot on-site.

Save your bullets for the real criminals.

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
does it have to be either right or wrong? it wasn't the best choice on the officer's part but he wasn't wrong to do it and the only reason this got any media on it was because it was a bunch of kittens and there were kids watching which the officer couldn't have known.

that doesn't explain why the mother didn't do it herself and had to waste another person's time as well.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think it was unnessesary to shoot the kittens right there. Why couldnt the woman have taken them to a shelter where at least they might have had some chance of being adopted. I get that animals are euthanized but I dont consider shooting them humane, that's just me. I find this story disturbing, especially having a pet cat and volunteering at a shelter where I care for many kittens.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Feral kittens don't attack a person - They, due to their fear of humans, will run at the sight of them. While they will attempt to escape if captured, they don't go out intentionally looking for someone to attack.

euthanasia - the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy.

These animals were neither sick or injured. This wasn't about mercy, the method chosen wasn't one that would be relatively painless. This was a case of a person to lazy to capture these animals for either adoption or proper disposal. This was a case of a person who didn't care who was watching him, who didn't care enough to inform the caller about what would be done beforehand. This was a case of a person who, quite frankly, didn't give a ****.

The mother didn't catch the kittens herself because she lacked the proper tools to do so - That is why she called a animal control officer. Because he would have the necessary tools to capture and remove the animals from the property. The mother called the animal control officer to capture and remove the kittens, not to kill them in full view of her children.

That said, you are severely underestimating their ability to survive - Rarely do they starve to death. But they do die, quite commonly, from food poisoning or diseases transmitted by ticks or fleas.

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/...-shooting-litter-of-kittens-in-front-of-kids/ let's get another source on the topic

-shelters full
-cop said they'd be going to kitty heaven
-kitty heaven implies death
-shelters full

police chief said:
The complainant urged better communication in the future. NRPD recognizes the concerns of those who believe feral cats should not be killed for simply trying to survive but also acknowledges other research that recognizes the risks associated with these animals and the need to manage feral cats. Research and other animal organizations accept shooting as an acceptable means of euthanasia.
After visiting the scene, talking with the responding officer and re-interviewing the complainant, I have decided his actions were appropriate and have decided not to impose any disciplinary measures for the incident. We will talk with the humane officers about improving their communications with the public. We are here to help those who seek our assistance. Our agency prides itself on not telling people, "It's not our problem or there is nothing we can do for you." This would be the easy way out. To walk away and leave a safety issue unresolved is irresponsible. At no time does this agency condone or allow the indiscriminate killing of animals, but we will continue to assist residents when there is a safety or nuisance condition.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Shelters full yes - But this doesn't mean to kill them where they lay.

Catch them, take them to the shelter, and put them down - humanely - out of the view of children.

Edit - The kitty heaven comment was to the children - Implying that he knew that this would be done or was done in full view of them. The comment wasn't to the mother who placed to the call.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
You can still go to kitty heaven by being trapped and euthanized humanely.

Sorry if people don't look on animals with the same affection and respect that I do, but seriously. Shooting cats.

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
why get multiple people involved when you can just do it with one? he did the job quickly, efficiently, and i say he deserves a promotion.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
He deserves a promotion for shooting kittens in front of children? Correction, he deserves a promotion for traumatizing children?

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
you picked out the joke in my post. i'm not sure how i should feel about that.

the point i have been making this entire thread was that he did his job and there's nothing else to see. i'm obviously not persuading anyone so i'll just end it here.

enjoy the rest of this beautiful saturday

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The issue isn't that he did his job - It's how he chose to do it.

We've agreed that putting down animals is a, saddening, necessity.

But should he have shot these kittens in the view of children?

This is the issue here, that he did so in front of children.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
Well, he may not have known that the children would be looking, but I still don't agree with the method.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I agree that this is perhaps more emotionally inflammatory than it deserves to be. The cop had a moment of insensitivity, and now a bunch of animal-zealots are probably going to try and crucify him because he killed some kittens that nobody loved in the first place? That's the real crime here. But the paperwork though....he discharged a firearm in a non-hostile situation.....I agree that he most likely just didn't give a crap haha!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back