• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Anyways, back to discussing of ROM hacking (seeing as it's kinda getting off the topic xD). I've been thinking about maybe creating a Gold and Silver remakes as two seperate ROMs of the same, I know there's alot of them however I'm also thinking about the things that GameFreak didn't put into HeartGold and SoulSilver (eg. the movable furniture in your room in New Bark Town), prahaps finding out ways of trying to move the images that display on the textbox that displays the town name/landmark from Emerald to a FireRed ROM. But then again, I could just continue on with my Emerald ROM hack, yet I'm progressing with my custom tiles very slowly (and I wonder how much longer that will take? 2 or 3 years?). Well there's rush in doing it anyways, as the research with the GBA improves, so to does the NDS research improve. Once I'm done with my Emerald hack, then possibly I could end up creating a hack of HeartGold (as a sequel to my Emerald hack), then after that... maybe another HeartGold hack as being the same storyline as HeartGold/SoulSilver with alot more edits in it to bring in the features that were missing in HeartGold/SoulSilver that existed in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
I like the idea of a two pack, and NDS hacking has been under construction since 2008, who perfects it first out of giant PC, PHO, TPW, and those small communities like M3I and Skeetendo, I'll be waiting to see. But PC seems to be coming along pretty far!

I'll be glad to help and innovate the new generation, I believe that 2011 is the NDS 2003 of GBA hacking, and 2012 will be the 2005 of GBA hacking, this mean well have a Elitemap equivalent for DPPtHGSS. What do you think?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
I've been thinking about maybe creating a Gold and Silver remakes
No more GSC remakes, please. Thanks.
I'll be glad to help and innovate the new generation, I believe that 2011 is the NDS 2003 of GBA hacking, and 2012 will be the 2005 of GBA hacking, this mean we'll have a Elitemap equivalent for DPPtHGSS. What do you think?
I doubt it will, considering how the whole community relies on the work of single persons, instead of contributing with some concrete work. And I'm not talking about "oh yeah, good project, keep it up, we all support you" or "hey, you should add this or that feature". I'm talking about real work either in programming or in researching and hacking (real meaning of this word) the NDS games' formats and structures.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years

No more GSC remakes, please. Thanks.

I doubt it will, considering how the whole community relies on the work of single persons, instead of contributing with some concrete work. And I'm not talking about "oh yeah, good project, keep it up, we all support you" or "hey, you should add this or that feature". I'm talking about real work either in programming or in researching and hacking (real meaning of this word) the NDS games' formats and structures.

Ive stated before that PC is full of rom Modders, but the real hackers like Team RHI, Manipulation, HackMew, Mewthree9000, Lu Ho, Miksy, etc. Try to get the Modders to advance slowly. When my RHITwo training thread is approved I'm going to try to teach hacking.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years

Well, IIRC, M3I is gone. I think. And PHO is returning on Wednesday.

But anyways, I hope to see more people here get into DS hacking. It's not as hard as it seems. It just takes some practice. Just like it did when I tried music hacking. And I took the time to write out my amazing tutorial on it here on PC.

Id love if people migrate to DS hacking :D
And M3I is now a private group on Facebook, and MSN. But yea it's basically dead. PHO is down? I need to start paying attention more lol, I've spent all my time on PC lately :P
And your tut was good, one of the best on here, you should make more.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
Pretty sweet, and I can't link you, but it's ChaosBlack on FB. Matthew Tippet is the admin of it-

And that's an amazing new layout that Black Charizard did there.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years

Yeah, it is. And I'm trying to find that group. I hate Facebook sometimes.

Won't Google+ make everything better? Haha, i was invited to the group so idk how hard it is to find. It's compound word ChaosBlack iirc.

On topic lol: what do you think of Chaos Black and Quartz being pirated?

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years

I know. xD Someone will have to invite me. ChaosBlack and Groups yield no results. I think that's why it's private.

And, I think I know what my next tutorial will be. I asked Giradialkia about it earlier, and I got the go-ahead, so I'm going to make a tutorial on dumping your own games. I'm going to explain DS, GBA and Wii, because I know how to do the three.

Wii will be interesting, one of my close friends had the idea of hacking MPR. And I've been working on Rumble as a promo for RHIOne.

And about the two games being pirated, it's stupid. Some copies are burned to game cards and sold. It's ridiculous. Now, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are getting bootleg copies too.
Just wait till our hacks come out for DS, pirate galore, lol. Once the maps are hacked, it's all over.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years

Ive stated before that PC is full of rom Modders, but the real hackers like Team RHI, Manipulation, HackMew, Mewthree9000, Lu Ho, Miksy, etc. Try to get the Modders to advance slowly. When my RHITwo training thread is approved I'm going to try to teach hacking.
I don't disagree with you here but I'm not too sure that people 'try to get the Modders to advance slowly' I'm more in comfort with the thinking that both people aren't willing to learn and people don't want to share secrets they've discovered, rather than stop people from getting better. If you get what I mean haha.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
I don't disagree with you here but I'm not too sure that people 'try to get the Modders to advance slowly' I'm more in comfort with the thinking that both people aren't willing to learn and people don't want to share secrets they've discovered, rather than stop people from getting better. If you get what I mean haha.

True, I see where your coming from, I guess some people wouldn't wanna share secrets in fear of someone becoming more popular than the original who taught them. But then you have people who wanna spend time and teach new hackers.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I love it, Team Fail! :D
Though I just have to say this... =D
Do you think it's worthy to do R/S remake now when we expect to see original remakes? :D
But still, great to see Gen IV hack that actually might be different, keep it up dude! =D

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Pretty sweet! AS and NR will be the first full Gen IV hacks :3 I see good things for it. Goodmluck and I'm here to help you Team Fail!
What is NR?
By the way, about mapping in NDS games: are you waiting for someone else's map editor to come out, or will you actually figure out on your own how to create brand new maps?

Also, a new poll: what do you guys think about starting a community disassembly of those 3rd gen games that you love so much? Considering you're so many, it shouldn't take forever to be finished.

Regarding 1st gen, there's a work-in-progress disassembly of the game Red (for GameBoy), carried out by IIMarckus, to which I'm partially contributing as well. So if there's anyone else (although I doubt it) which is willing to contribute to it, you're welcome (this disassembly uses the assembler RGBDS).

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years

What is NR?
By the way, about mapping in NDS games: are you waiting for someone else's map editor to come out, or will you actually figure out on your own how to create brand new maps?

Also, a new poll: what do you guys think about starting a community disassembly of those 3rd gen games that you love so much? Considering you're so many, it shouldn't take forever to be finished.

Regarding 1st gen, there's a work-in-progress disassembly of the game Red (for GameBoy), carried out by IIMarckus, to which I'm partially contributing as well. So if there's anyone else (although I doubt it) which is willing to contribute to it, you're welcome (this disassembly uses the assembler RGBDS).

NR is my hack of heartgold
Once I get my comp back, me, Challenger, and another person are going to be working on a map editor. Idk how it will turn out as challenger and I don't know 3D molding, I'm pretty sure the other guy does :P
I think Knizz (I think that's the name) already disassembled the GBA games, I haven't met Knizz, but I've heard he has. Wouldn't imagine it's so hard :P

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
twinleaftownfinal.png

I don't think anyone at PC can say this isn't incredible. You have done what a year ago would have been near impossible! Props to you Link and Fail! For bringing the new gen to PC

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

Well, It'd be interesting in seeing it on a DS system. Plus, we don't know if gen 3 remakes are planned or not.
Well we can presume that =D

That would be cool to see.

Oh, new update! I have my mapping mostly done. Thanks to Link_971 for providing offsets, I plotted out the town.
twinleaftownfinal.png
BRUTAL! :D
This is awesome... =)
You did outstanding job, Team Fail! :)

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
New topic for discussion:

If you were able to make a new ROM Hacking tool, what would you have it do and why would you decide to make it?
Waiting for your answers on this.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
New topic for discussion:

If you were able to make a new ROM Hacking tool, what would you have it do and why would you decide to make it?
Waiting for your answers on this.
A tool that allows editing of Sappy music in its native format using a sheet-music interface similar to Anvil Studio, without having to convert back-and-forth between MIDI. It'd have a smooth GUI for managing B2/B3/B4 jumps. Ideally, it would also be able to interpret and play the song, and to repoint everything for you as necessary.

As part of that, it'd have some basic error checks that it would run by interpreting at 4x speed or so without actually playing the song aloud. (For example, notifying you if you have more than 6 Direct Sound notes playing at once, so you can edit the song and make sure that nothing cuts out.)

Essentially, it'd be the perfect music editor, and I'd make it because right now, editing music... It sucks. The process is tedious and difficult and I hate it.

I actually have quite a few concepts planned out for an editor like I've described, and the music format is almost fully deciphered already... Conceptually, I have much of the functionality planned out -- everything from lining up each track and showing them in chronological order despite the presence of jumps... to parsing a track and displaying it as a flowchart, accounting for repeated sections (B3/B4 jumps).

But I just don't know how to code real applications, and HTAs can't do binary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back