• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deceptive trade? Care to share your story?

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Hello there.
Okay, so who's been taken by a trade deal that was far from what it was cracked up to be? Examples of this are:
The pokemon you were expecting to receive was advertized as shiny or to have Pokerus but it turned out not to be;
The pokemon's IVs, EVS and nature were outlandishly different from what they were advertized to be;
Somebody took your valuable trade-to-evolve pokemon (shiny, flawless etc) promicing to send it back after evolution but neglected to do so;
You received an evolve by trade pokemon that was holding an everstone;
or anything else that makes it not such a deal.
I've noticed this to be extremely common in circles I've been involved with.
Got a story to share?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since they allow discussion in Trade Corner now, this can go there~

Anyway, I haven't had a bad trade in the games, so I don't have any horror stories. I didn't start WiFi trading until last year, and I used my shop on PC to do so, or other reputable shops. You have much better luck using the Trade Corner here than you would using the GTS with random strangers.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Before gen 5 came out...

"RNG'd! Flawless! Smogon moveset and EVs!" Had it hack checked, it came through legit.

After gen 5 and pokecheck came out...
Hacked. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-
Went and hack checked every pokemon I could and found another 3 hacks. I might have more, because events can't be uploaded to pokecheck. :(

Also...maybe 10 of my pokemon are more or less on "warning" lists, because name trash bytes went missing after nicknaming, undoing nickname, nicknaming again, and then transferred. Don't nickname and then undo nickname in gen 4 because trash bytes will often come up missing. D:

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I have received quiet a few 3rd Gen event Pokemon that didn't pass the legality analysis on Pokecheck, it really disappointed me when I found out.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
You have much better luck using the Trade Corner here than you would using the GTS with random strangers.
In-person trades (not over the internet at all), I think, are as prone to risk as GTS ones, if not more sometimes. Both parties are physically located in the same room and one still manages to con the other.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
No... not really. If you go online and ask some random person to trade rather than look for a reputable trainer, then yes. On the other hand, you go onto the GTS and the majority of shiny and/or legendary pokemon will be hacked.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
How about in person? What's your luck been with, you know, trading with classmates, coworkers etc? Nightmares still can happen there.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
For me, I was about 9 or so, and I put up a trade: A newly hatched chimchar for a female riolu. I got the riolu, it was shiny and level 100. I thought it was pretty neat until I went and saw its summary. It was met at level 100 on the first route.

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I dont know how to check legality of a pokemon, but when i receive a pokemon that is not on the banlist that cant be used in a random matchup, thats when the red flag goes up. This happened to me only once. I found a way to contact the guy and he bent over backwards to make it up to me. It was funny really. Its just a game, but he went as far as to offer me money. I told him to drop it. Got a half a dozen legal pokemon from him in return. Good story.

Regards, Chris

droomph

weeb
Years
I got a wurmple in a master ball once, I was suspicious. Then again, maybe he was conned by his friend's "use the master ball on something stupid" trick lol

As far as that goes, I find the GTS pretty good for trades, as long as you ask for the normal things (like Shelmet-Karrablast, or Haunter-Haunter) rather than powerful Pokémon. I have no idea, maybe I'll get them checked someday, but they all look at least 90% legit. I still have that inkling of doubt that maayyyyyybe he's a Pokémon hacking piece of ****. yeah

Then again, I don't plan on really "competing" where people will see my Pokémon's stats, so RNG is the way to go for the trades around this game.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
I wanted to evolve onix and steelix at lvl one after breeding, and the ***** stole them and now won't give them back. I don't get how people can be such dip****s.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 21, 2013
Err... should I be alerted?
I got a shiny Wobuffet on the GTS for any Ditto.. Also saw a Mewtwo go up for trade for ANY LINOONE D: Missed the Mewtwo though because I stared for a few seconds grr :<

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
A friend of mine managed to get a hold of 2 level100 Zubat in return for a some relatively lame Pokemon. Considering he had one for himself already, he sent the other to me as a gift. Because it didn't have a particularly good moveset and, well, is a Zubat, I never used it. Just recently, I checked the summary screen and apparently it was met at lvl100.

I've had people on GTS Negotiations try to switch quickly after we had established what we would trade, if that counts. That's really it, though.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
Years
Err... should I be alerted?
I got a shiny Wobuffet on the GTS for any Ditto.. Also saw a Mewtwo go up for trade for ANY LINOONE D: Missed the Mewtwo though because I stared for a few seconds grr :<
Is that in X/Y or 5th gen below? Cause if it's X/Y, then they're prolly legit XD

Anyway, I got a lv.100 Shiny Pikachu from GTS for a female Chimchar I had just hatched at that time... for a long time, I was so proud of it, when one day, the area it was caught in changed... to one where you can't catch a Pikachu <_<

I ended up releasing it... ;-;

Another time, I traded for a shiny Dratini (for my shiny Torchic I think?) from another forum. The owner assured me it was legit... but when I checked, it was caught with a cherish ball. At first I was like, "ok, maybe he hacked the ball... no biggie..." then I checked the area it was caught in... ARGH.

Though, there's also this time I got a Shiny Ho-oh from GTS. I asked everywhere if it was legit. I was told the stats seemed legit, so's everything else... except that they don't think that you can get a Shiny Ho-oh from 'that source'. In the end, I just believed it to be hacked. Then, I learned of Pokecheck and checked it out... said it was legit :/

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I have been traded multiple hacks with the person knowing and not knowing that the Pokemon were hacked. I remember my first shiny I got off the GTS in Diamond years ago. I thought it was cool that I got it for just a Lv. 1 starter. I had no idea about hacks or shinies back then so I thought I had gotten an awesome trade. (yes I really was that much of a nub back then) Then a few weeks ago I used Pokecheck to check it's legitimacy. It was hacked through and through. ;.; But besides that, I haven't had any other bad trades where I was ripped off badly.

Reactions: EB
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
Just today I went to the GTS and offered a semi-legendary for a caterpie because the trainer said that it had Pokerus and I'm in dire need of Pokerus.

Turns out it didn't have Pokerus, not even dormant, and it was just a level 3. Caterpie.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I haven't traded much, but what I have traded was totally what was expected. Reading these posts, I'm sorry to hear the bad deals everyone has gotten.

Years
In X and Y, it's mostly important to be suspicious of the descriptions of Pokemon with 4/5/6 Perfect Iv's on the GTS.

Let's take Ditto for example, I sent an Yveltal (that I got for one of my shiny Claunchers so I didn't really care about it) to get a perfect Ditto and received your average safari Ditto.

And I'm sure a lot of people do that, so be warned.

Thank goodness there are a few honest guys/girls out there, but for precious/rare offers, be cautious.

Years
I traded a Protean near flawless modest Froakie for a Flawless charmander only to find the charmander wasn't flawless. In fact it didnt have a 31 in any IV. Icing of this cake is it was my brother who traded me. I let him keep the Froakie cuz I didn't really need it much or anything.

Back