• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor)

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
I may have said this once... Whenever I try to open up YAPE, I get a box that says unhandled exception bla bla bla. I have kept all .dll files with it, and have the newest .NET framework. But I keep getting this stupid pile of, well, you know. I was wondering if anyone could think of any possible solution...

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2011
Is it just me, or can anyone else not edit the movesets of the ??? pokemon?

Aside from that, it's an excellent tool.

Years
I have the YAPE downloaded and get it open, but won't allow me access to anything. It says that there is no ROM loaded so I tried to open a ROM with it, but that didn't work either. Can anyone help me? Chances are I'm just being dumb.
Nevermind I was just being dumb got it now and looks amazing very nice work

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
I have the YAPE downloaded and get it open, but won't allow me access to anything. It says that there is no ROM loaded so I tried to open a ROM with it, but that didn't work either. Can anyone help me? Chances are I'm just being dumb.
Nevermind I was just being dumb got it now and looks amazing very nice work
I had the same problem, what did you do to fix yours, 'cause mine still doesn't work...

Years
I had the same problem, what did you do to fix yours, 'cause mine still doesn't work...

I was dragging the entire zipped file into the program. Where all it wanted was .gba file if you go in the zip file there's usually two files inside and one will say, this is an example, Pokemon Emerald.gba and it's icon will look like a piece of white paper. That's what you need to open not the entire zip

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
Is it just me, or can anyone else not edit the movesets of the ??? pokemon?

Aside from that, it's an excellent tool.

You'll need to repoint the table of the attacks of that Pokémon. It's an easy process.

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
I was dragging the entire zipped file into the program. Where all it wanted was .gba file if you go in the zip file there's usually two files inside and one will say, this is an example, Pokemon Emerald.gba and it's icon will look like a piece of white paper. That's what you need to open not the entire zip
I have no .gba files in my YAPE download...

Years
I have no .gba files in my YAPE download...
Open YAPE then click File under this click open right click the zip file of the game's rom. Then click extract all in the new unzipped folder of your rom there should be two files. One that says read me and is only about 1 kb and the rom file (ex. Pokemon Emerald.GBA) it will be about 13,384 kb that is the GBA file that you use. This is how I did it anyways, correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
Open YAPE then click File under this click open right click the zip file of the game's rom. Then click extract all in the new unzipped folder of your rom there should be two files. One that says read me and is only about 1 kb and the rom file (ex. Pokemon Emerald.GBA) it will be about 13,384 kb that is the GBA file that you use. This is how I did it anyways, correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
I still get the "Unhandled exception" speech, and I've been trying to open normal .gba ROMs... Don't tell me to get the .dlls 'cause I extracted EVERYTHING to the same folder, and I have the .NET framework 3.5, so I'm good there... I guess YAPE just plain hates me...

Years
I don't think it's the ROMs. I get the same box that Gamer2020 got and showed in the first post of the thread. I have done everything I've read in this thread, but nothing's worked...
You might just need to try and re-download the YAPE program. With my YAPE file I downloaded I extracted all and then went into the extracted folder. In that folder I made a shortcut to YAPE and put that on my desktop without touching anything else. Then I just drag and drop my Pokemon Emerald.gba rom into it. Also when opening you're rom in YAPE make sure you have it set to GBA Roms (*.gba) next to the File name:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
You might just need to try and re-download the YAPE program. With my YAPE file I downloaded I extracted all and then went into the extracted folder. In that folder I made a shortcut to YAPE and put that on my desktop without touching anything else. Then I just drag and drop my Pokemon Emerald.gba rom into it. Also when opening you're rom in YAPE make sure you have it set to GBA Roms (*.gba) next to the File name:
That would end up being the 13th time that I would have re-downloaded...
By unhandled exception, I mean the box pops up BEFORE the program is running...
And yes, I do have it set to (*.gba).
I have tried everything I've read on this entire thread (took forever) and nothing has worked. I'm thinking of just learning C++ and making my own program!

Last edited:
Years
There are 25 free slots. The ???. You need to import the sprites and and edit all the stats. For the attacks, just see my post in top of yours.
Could you give me a link with a tutorial or give me a little more in depth instruction on how to do it? Also how would you create the new pokemon image and import it? As I'm sure you can tell this is a very new thing for me and I don't know anything about it. Thanks for the help

That would end up being the 13th time that I would have re-downloaded...
By unhandled exception, I mean the box pops up BEFORE the program is running...
And yes, I do have it set to (*.gba).
I have tried everything I've read on this entire thread (took forever) and nothing has worked. I'm thinking of just learning C++ and making my own program!
Well I guess I'm out of ideas on how to get it to work then sorry hopefully someone else can help. Good luck with learning your C++

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
Could you give me a link with a tutorial or give me a little more in depth instruction on how to do it? Also how would you create the new pokemon image and import it? As I'm sure you can tell this is a very new thing for me and I don't know anything about it. Thanks for the help

This is a good thread. There are betters but there are worst too. On the last step, the attacks, just go to the last post, it's a post, by my xD, on how to add attacks without removing others.

Link

Back