• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
Couple questions:
1. Is Shuckle even midly competetive? I would assume it makes a good wall.
2. EV training is battling a pokemon against a wild pokemon whose dominant stat is the stat you want to increase, yes???
Or does the wild pokemon's stat have to be HIGHER than the pokemon you're EV training?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Couple questions:
1. Is Shuckle even midly competetive? I would assume it makes a good wall.
2. EV training is battling a pokemon against a wild pokemon whose dominant stat is the stat you want to increase, yes???
Or does the wild pokemon's stat have to be HIGHER than the pokemon you're EV training?

1. Not really. Its defensive typing isn't the best. Despite having high defenses, its low HP offsets them somewhat. It's also very susceptible to Taunt, and its nonexistent offenses mean that it has to rely on Toxic to deal damage. It doesn't have a reliable recovery move either.
2. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Care to elaborate?

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
Awww. Shuckle is awesome, though :/ lol.

I am not too farmiliar with EV training. I read a couple "essays" or "articles" on EV training, but the grammar and spelling were akin to a 5 year old with a typewriter, so I don't really trust the source.
I'd love to learn more about it, as I rarely go halfway with things and I want to start breeding and training for "perfect pokemon".
I guess my question is REALLY: "do you have a link to a valid source of information about EV training?"

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

I am not too farmiliar with EV training. I read a couple "essays" or "articles" on EV training, but the grammar and spelling were akin to a 5 year old with a typewriter, so I don't really trust the source.
I'd love to learn more about it, as I rarely go halfway with things and I want to start breeding and training for "perfect pokemon".
I guess my question is REALLY: "do you have a link to a valid source of information about EV training?"

If you're playing Gen V, read this.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Adding to PlatDude's link, to keep it in the community, you could also check out PC's EV training guide if Smogon's is a little complicated.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
Soulsivler :( That IS gen four, right?
I have a window open, reading a breeding article, on Smogon right now. I'll peek around.
Thanks! :)

I'll also check out the links.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Soulsivler :( That IS gen four, right?
I have a window open, reading a breeding article, on Smogon right now. I'll peek around.
Thanks! :)

I'll also check out the links.

Yes, Soulsilver is gen IV. If you're wanting an Ev training guide for it, go here. :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
Say pokemon A is faster than pokemon B. If pokemon B uses protect, and on the next turn pokemon A uses encore as pokemon B tries to use a different move, does it encore protect and change pokemon B's move to protect despite the fact that protect would go last? Or what would happen?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Say pokemon A is faster than pokemon B. If pokemon B uses protect, and on the next turn pokemon A uses encore as pokemon B tries to use a different move, does it encore protect and change pokemon B's move to protect despite the fact that protect would go last? Or what would happen?

Start of turn 1
Vileplume used Protect!
Vileplume protected itself!

Requility's Infernape used Swords Dance!
Requility's Infernape's Attack sharply rose!

Start of turn 2
Requility's Infernape used Encore!
Vileplume received an encore!

Vileplume used Protect!
But if failed!

So yes, Protect will be encored and fail.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
I was looking at the tiers for battles and noticed a column titled "BST."
What is this representing?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I was looking at the tiers for battles and noticed a column titled "BST."
What is this representing?

It means base stat total - the total of all the the base stats a Pokemon has, added up. The highest base stat can go is up to 255, with the lowest at 1. Each stat, as in attack, special attack, etc, has an amount. It can be seen by the orange/yellow/red/green bars on the Pokemon's page.

Porynoir

Cool like that...
Years
Rate meh team please!

I haven't acquired all of them, so I don't have the IVs.

Porygon-Z
Dusknoir
Meganium
Wailord
Altaria
Flareon

I didn't have room for a psychic, so just please give some CC. (constructive criticism)

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Dusclops outclasses Dusknoir in every way possible. The only thing Dusknoir beats Dusclops at is being a physical attacker. Even then it's not very good at that. I'll add some more criticism in a minute.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
It's very difficult to rate a team when we don't know anything beyond the team members.

Try to include Natures, Items, EVs, Movesets, and Abilities so we can help you much more efficiently.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
You need to include Ev's, Nature's, moves and everything else. If you cannot find out that information on your game then use Pokemon Online; it's what everyone else does.

And I agree with A Sadistic Bastard, Dusclops is way better than Dusknoir, but it has to hold an Eviolite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back