• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Mono-Color Challenge

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
4. You must have a minimum of three viable team members, UNLESS:

• You are playing Generation I, in which case a minimum of two is fine.
  • You cannot legally obtain that amount in the game you are playing.
  • For those playing on GSC/HGSS, if you cannot get three team members before going to Kanto, two can be used.
Going with more than three is encouraged, however, as is keeping your team somewhat balanced level-wise.

Honestly, it's not that hard to read the rules. It takes five minutes, max.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Honestly, it's not that hard to read the rules. It takes five minutes, max.

If i catch 2 pokemon which are blue and keep them in the party, If i happen not to use them it still counts as a Mono-Colour challenge. Also it stays as a solo challenge and it counts as a Mono-type challenge.

there is no rule saying that I have to use the pokemon I catch, Only that I have to have them with me.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
If i catch 2 pokemon which are blue and keep them in the party, If i happen not to use them it still counts as a Mono-Colour challenge. Also it stays as a solo challenge and it counts as a Mono-type challenge.

there is no rule saying that I have to use the pokemon I catch, Only that I have to have them with me.
Going back to what I say in the OP:
4. You must have a minimum of three viable team members, UNLESS:

• You are playing Generation I, in which case a minimum of two is fine.
  • You cannot legally obtain that amount in the game you are playing.
  • For those playing on GSC/HGSS, if you cannot get three team members before going to Kanto, two can be used.
Going with more than three is encouraged, however, as is keeping your team somewhat balanced level-wise.
Note the use of the word viable. As in, three team members that you use throughout the challenge. A solo challenge doesn't use any other members except for the one. The only solo challenge that qualifies as a monocolor is a Snorlax run in RBY/FRLG, because it's the only black Pokemon in the Kanto Dex.

You can do a Totodile solo if you want, and he'd a pretty good one to do it with, but it won't count as a monocolor, sorry.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Mono-Colour Blue for pokemon gold completed! Can't say it didn't count because I did it all legitly.

Spoiler:

Next up is Blue for Hoenn :D

Same thing I asked on the Mono-type challenge, What is the rule for dupe clauses?

Last edited by a moderator:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Same thing I asked on the Mono-type challenge, What is the rule for dupe clauses?
Dupes are not encouraged at all, since you should be able to get the minimum on every color (except black in Kanto), although it's not like ou can't have dupes if you want - no more than one though, please. We like variety here :). I saw your question in the monotype thread about using Venusaur and 2 Victrebel for a combo green/grass mono, and that will work, although you don't really need to have a second Victreebel, since the minimum party number in Kanto is 2.

and congrats on finishing your blue challenge on Gold.

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
-- Update 2 --

Fun update, caught two more members of my party and evolved three of them! Not a lot to say, just that the Silph Company was huge! Having two party members with Psychic has been pretty nifty, though.

Spoiler:

2_zps0e4e40f8.png
4_zps19efd0a9.png
5_zps569bcf33.png
7_zps70048744.png
8_zps0b358feb.png
9_zpscc005ffb.png

~-~ Team ~-~

Spoiler:

-- End of Update 2 --​

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Dupes are not encouraged at all, since you should be able to get the minimum on every color (except black in Kanto), although it's not like ou can't have dupes if you want - no more than one though, please. We like variety here :). I saw your question in the monotype thread about using Venusaur and 2 Victrebel for a combo green/grass mono, and that will work, although you don't really need to have a second Victreebel, since the minimum party number in Kanto is 2.

and congrats on finishing your blue challenge on Gold.

Cheers for clearing that up and I didn't know whether the 2 part members applied for the Mono-typing aswell.

Ill start that one as soon as I finish my Blue Emerald :P

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
-- Update 3 --​

Third and final update! It's been real, Red, but we must part now. This was an excellent run of the game, and I loved my team in the end!

Spoiler:

1_zpsf896577f.png
2_zps3c5d8cc3.png
3_zpscef90315.png
4_zps45f41923.png
5_zpsc38f3d6e.png
6_zps5bce9f22.png
7_zpsdeae9d71.png
8_zps8e5d5ec0.png
9_zpse1dd83a6.png
10_zps2f5ecc85.png

~-~ Team ~-~

Spoiler:

~-~ Team Synopsis ~-~​

MVP - Egghead
Spr_1b_103.png

Solarbeam - Toxic
Psychic - Egg Bomb

Egghead was a spur of the moment choice for my team, since I didn't have a Grass type on my team. However, after evolution, Egghead's massive Special stat really made him the star player on my team, even being able to sweep Bruno's entire team without hassle. Solarbeam is a must have for any Exeggutor, so naturally once I got it I didn't even hesitate to replace Barrage. Solarbeam didn't see much use outside of Giovanni and Bruno, however. Toxic was only used once, but it made it possible to actually defeat Lance's Dragonite. Psychic was already on Sandman, but Egghead had the superior Special to use it better, and was Egghead's main attack in all battles. Egg Bomb was a nifty move, and really served as a basic attack, helping out occasionally, but was not the main feature of Egghead. Egghead really earned his place as MVP, and I would gladly use him again in another play-through.

LVP - Sgt. Sting
Spr_1b_015.png

Poison Sting - Twineedle
Pin Missile - Rage

I expected Sgt. Sting to become obsolete, but he really served his use for the first 6 gyms much better than I expected he would. With Bug type's incredible power in the first generation, he was the wild card that took down Poison, Psychic, and Ghost types with ease. However, his low stats really shined once we got to the Elite Four, and I had counted on him to take out Agatha. However, he didn't do really anything for the last stretch of the game, and unfortunately got placed as LVP because of it. Poison Sting was never really used, and was simply a relic of his old Weedle days. Twineedle was Sgt. Sting's best attack, as it was both powerful, hit twice, and could poison. Because of this, Twineedle was Sgt. Sting's main attack, and was quite useful while Sgt. Sting was helpful. Pin Missile was Sgt. Sting's other Bug type move, and was used on bulkier Pokemon with more health, since it had the chance to hit 5 times. I had expected Rage to be useful, but being locked on one move with frail defenses did not help Sgt. Sting at all, and was rarely used. Sgt. Sting was extremely useful as an early Pokemon, but just became unusable as the late part of the game progressed. I could see using him again, but not as a permanent member of my team.

Wheeler
Spr_1b_026.png

Thunderbolt - Mega Punch
Thunder Wave - Swift

Wheeler's high Speed and Attack made him a good sweeper, along with his usefulness on Water and Flying types, and was definitely a fun choice. He showed his use against Misty for obvious reasons, as well as Xerxes' Pidgeot and Gyarados. Since I was able to pick him up early, Wheeler became a key member of my team, and is highly recommended. Thunderbolt was Wheeler's main attack, and I abused it heavily. It made light work of any Pokemon not immune or resistant to it, and the paralysis was nice too. I taught Mega Punch on a whim, since he could learn it, and it was a good choice, able to 2HKO and occasionally OHKO other Pokemon with ease before they could attack. Thunder Wave and Swift just came naturally to Pikachu, and were only ever used as last resort moves. Wheeler made an excellent member of my team, and I would gladly use him again, perhaps later in the challenge.

Sandman
Spr_1b_097.png

Body Slam - Hypnosis
Psychic - Metronome

Sandman was my main special attacking force up until I got Egghead, and I expected him to be the MVP while I used him. His Special stat made him ultimately valuable, and his attacks complimented him nicely. Body Slam was surprisingly useful, and it's Paralysis effect activated quite often. I found myself using Body Slam a lot, sometimes more than Psychic, and was a staple of the team. Hypnosis was only used in tough fights when I needed to heal my Pokemon, but it definitely served its use in the Champion battle. Psychic was Sandman's main attack, and took down most Pokemon with relative ease. Metronome was an attack that I just added at random, hoping it would help at some point, though the biggest thing it ever did was cause Sandman to use Selfdestruct, which was not as fun as it might sound. Even after catching Egghead, Sandman's early evolution made him of the utmost use to my team, and helped me fly through the game.

Rarity
Spr_1b_078.png

Fire Blast - Tail Whip
Stomp - Growl

Rarity was a late game catch, and I didn't expect to get too much use from her, but she showed off some impressive skills. She rivaled Wheeler with her Speed and Attack, and while Stomp was weaker than Mega Punch, its Flinch ability activated at good times, making Rarity a good attacker. Fire Blast was a useful move for closing the gap in type coverage I had, and was useful against Lorelei and Xerxes, as well as being used other times. Fire Blast's Burn status was also quite useful, cutting the opponent's Attack. Tail Whip and Growl were just attacks that I caught Rarity with, and never got rid of. Stomp was Rarity's main attack, and was a lot of fun when it worked right, causing the opponent to flinch. Rarity was a good member of the team for coming in so late, and I wish I could have caught her earlier for more use. I will definitely pick up another Ponyta in the future for prolonged use.​

Alright, well Red is now finished! Onwards to Crystal!

-- End of Update 3 --​

------------------

-- Update 1 --

Started Crystal and picked up the first four members of my team and my first four badges! Gotta keep going though...

Spoiler:

1_zps35e516e2.png
2_zps3f6f202f.png
3_zps2c78340e.png
4_zpsa7dfc0a3.png
5_zps70af8ce8.png
6_zps0e4860a1.png
7_zps139d9a6b.png
8_zps746d38da.png

~-~ Team ~-~

Spr_2c_156.gif
Spr_2c_206.gif
Spr_2c_028.gif
Spr_2c_133.gif

Spoiler:

-- End of Update 1 --​

Last edited:

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Platinum's finished. I had fun with this challenge, even though it was done very quickly. I didn't really have a hard time anywhere, because I guess I had pretty powerful Pokémon. I used a Pachirisu from Floaroma to Pastoria, and then I dropped it. It was never meant to stay permanently, but it found its uses all the way until Pastoria.

Video:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_4p_468.png

Diana the Togekiss, Lv 57 (♀)
Item: Splash Plate
Return, Water Pulse, Flamethrower, Air Slash

Spr_4p_475.png

Zedd the Gallade, Lv 56 (♂)
Item: Razor Claw
Psycho Cut, Brick Break, Night Slash, Swords Dance

Spr_4p_460_m.png

Lambrini the Abomasnow, Lv 55 (♂)
Item: Soft Sand
Blizzard, Earthquake, Strenght, Wood Hammer

Spr_4p_478.png

Electra the Froslass, Lv 56 (♀)
Item: Zap Plate
Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Toxic, Shadow Ball

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Update for my Red color- FireRed challenge

Spoiler:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Monocolor Challenge (Pink).

Final Update (#3) on Platinum.
  • Surfed to Victory Road, Marcus had fun there.
  • Beat Barry at the Pokemon League, then EV trained my team and finalized movesets, getting them to L57.
  • Took on the Elite Four. None were really hard as I was overleveled for the most part.
  • Finally Cynthia was up. Here's the video and play-by-play.

Video:
    Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
ultpinksinnohchamp.png

Team Pink:
Spr_4p_242.png

Healer the Bold Blissey, ♀ - L58 @ Zoom Lens
Ability: Serene Grace
Moves: Thunder, Softboiled, Fire Blast, Stealth Rock
Final Stats: 405/15/34/122/175/83
Elite Four MVP
Spr_4p_481.png

Heart the Serious Mesprit - L57 @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Psychic, Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, Blizzard
Final Stats: 175/125/146/162/144/116
Spr_4p_421S.png

Sakura the Bold Cherrim, ♀ - L58 @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Flower Gift
Moves: Petal Dance, Toxic, Solarbeam, Sunny Day
Final Stats: 175/68/116/147/111/143
Sinnoh co-MVP
Spr_4p_036.png

Fable the Gentle Clefable, ♀ - L58 @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Magic Guard
Moves: Strength, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, Moonlight
Final Stats: 208/86/92/135/141/100
Spr_4p_463.png

Marcus the Brave Lickilicky, ♂ - L58 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Own Tempo
Moves: Return, Power Whip, Earthquake, Swords Dance
Final Stats: 242/162/129/105/132/71
Sinnoh co-MVP, Cynthia MVP
Spr_4p_350_f.png

Nessie the Mild Milotic, ♀ - L58 @ Mystic Water
Ability: Marvel Scale
Moves: Surf, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, Recover
Final Stats: 211/74/98/179/161/126

HM Slaves:
Spr_4p_357.png

Tropius - Fly, Defog, Cut, Rock Smash [boxed]

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Monocolor Challenge (Pink).

Going right into the Unova leg of my Pink ultimate.

Update #1 on White.

Name: Pink
Starter: Oshawott

• Beat the first gym with Oshawott and Pansear, then caught Amanda the Audino on Route 2.
  • Went into the Dreamyard, beat Team Plasma, then caught Dreamer the Munna.
  • Dreamer and Amanda kicked butt all the way to Nancrene City and Pinwheel Forest.
  • Beat N and challenged the gym, and defeated Lenora mostly with Amanda.
  • Team Plasma stole the skull and I went after them, then headed over the bridge to Castelia City.
  • After training up in the Battle Co. and helping Bianca, I took on Burgh and beat him pretty easily with my duo.
  • Went out to Route 4, where I beat Bianca and Cheren, then beat up the Desert Resort on my way to Nimbasa City.
  • Beat the trainers on Route 16, played some Battle Subway for vitamins, and defeated N at the Ferris Wheel.
  • Took on the gym and defeated Elesa easily with Amanda.
  • I am now saved on Route 5.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Pink:
531.gif

Amanda the Bashful Audino, ♀ - L34 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Regenerator
Moves: Secret Power, Attract, Work Up, Dig
517.gif

Dreamer the Rash Munna, ♀ - L34 @ Eviolite
Ability: Synchronize
Moves: Psybeam, Nightmare, Hypnosis, Future Sight

HM Slaves:
501.gif

Oshawott - Cut
538.gif

Throh - Strength

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Mono-Color Red challenge completed :)

Spoiler:

I'll do another one :)

Username: LilJz1234
Color: Blue
Game: FireRed
Ultimate: Nope

Last edited:

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Got the maingame of Pokémon White complete. I started off by hacking in a Cubchoo, and added Foongus, Frillish and Larvesta as I progressed through the game. It was a pretty easy ride all the way through, because I had a pretty well-rounded team. But I have a feeling the postgame will be a bit more challenging.

Team:
Spr_5b_614.png

Garibay the Beartic, Lv 53 (♂)
Item: Soft Sand
Strenght, Bulldoze, Brine, Icicle Crash

Spr_5b_591.png

Mugler the Amoonguss, Lv 53 (♂)
Item: Big Root
Giga Drain, Solarbeam, Toxic, Sludge Bomb

Spr_5b_593_f.png

Primadonna the Jellicent, Lv 53 (♀)
Item: BrightPowder