• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improving a Pokémon due to Lame Abilities

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Personally, some abilities should not exist in Pokémon. Therefore, let's give them new ones.

Lame Abilities:
Illuminate: It does absolutely nothing whatsoever. You hear me? Nothing.
Klutz: The Pokémon can't hold any items whatsoever.
Normalize: All moves become Normal-types. That's all it does.
Swarm: Just IMO. Most have better abilities

Beedrill (Swarm)
Staryu (Illuminate)
Starmie (Illuminate)
Scyther (Swarm)
Ledyba (Swarm)
Ledian (Swarm (It's weak already, as if the ability isn't enough))
Spinarak (Swarm)
Ariados (Swarm)
Chinchou (Illuminate)
Lanturn (Illuminate)
Scizor (Swarm)
Heracross (Swarm)
Beautifly (Swarm)
Skitty (Normalize)
Delcatty (Normalize)
Volbeat (Illuminate, Swarm (That's right! Both! Volbeat really needs to be redone.))
Kricketune (Swarm)
Mothim (Swarm)
Buneary (Klutz (Hinders the fact that Buneary needs 255 happiness to evolve))
Lopunny (Klutz (Even though it already evolved))
Watchog (Illuminate)
Woobat (Klutz)
Swoobat (Klutz)
Sewaddle (Swarm)
Leavanny (Swarm)
Venipede (Swarm)
Whirlipede (Swarm)
Scolipede (Swarm)
Karrablast (Swarm)
Escavalier (Swarm)
Golett (Klutz)
Golurk (Klutz)
Durant (Swarm)

What abilities, other than their hidden abilities, will improve those Pokémon?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't see swarm as useless. Some of the Pokemon listed aren't too great in general due to their horrible stats. Swarm actually helps them using their already poor stats to boost the ability faster.

Illuminate raises the chance to find Pokemon in the wild. It has its bonuses even if its not for battle.

Kluts has benefits for item switchers. You can easily mess someone up by sending out a Kluts Pokemon with Choice item and force switching the Choice Item to the opponent, or even using Fling. Give the Kluts holder an item that is usually bad for it like Toxic Orb or Iron Ball and Fling it at an opponent.

Normalize loses SE but gains STAB. With only 2 resistances which even out the damage, Normalize makes it easier to bypass a lot of other issues. It has its own perks if you are willing to overlook the set back of no SE hits.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Fling is useless with the Klutz Ability.

Pokemon with Klutz can't use fling.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Illuminate should have an effect that activates during battles, but I'm not sure what it should be. Stench and Pickup were given in-battle effects, so I don't see a reason not to give Illuminate the same treatment.

As XanderO pointed out, Swarm isn't useless entirely; it works in the same way as Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent, but for Bug moves. It's viable on Scolipede because it can spam 270 base power Megahorns (taking STAB and the Swarm boost into account). The same applies to Escavalier.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
You could give illuminate a 50% chance to lower acc each turn. Makes sense.

But you can still hold items with klutz you just don't gain their effects. But an effective user of klutz is loppuny. It can effectively use fling and switcharoo(I think) with hazardous or dehabilitating items such as flame orb, iron ball, or choice scarf without worry about affecting itself.

For normalize you can make it so that all move targeted at it is turned to a normal type move instead of the other way around. No weaknesses and removes STAB boost from opponents.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Fling isn't an option for Klutz, but I'm not sure about Switcheroo. I'm gonna need someone to test Switcheroo, but I know for sure Klutz prevents Fling from being used.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Isn't swarm basically the same as Torrent and all those other abilities? I don't necessarily deem them useless. Now Run Away, that's a useless ability.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Ya Swarm is the Bug version to the Starter's abilities. I think there is another similar to them but I don't remember it.

Run Away has its in game uses. You don't want to battle, having little health or no quick way to the Pokemon Center and need to get to the next area. Run Away has the same 100% Flee chance as Smoke Ball so you always run away. It saved me a lot in the early games when I was down to my last Pokemon with no healing items and halfway through a dungeon.

#isthenumbersign
Years
From my experiences though the Pokemon I had with Run Away were pretty fast so it was kind of redundant. It was always like Rattata and Doduo.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Honestly Swarm's not useless. Yeah not that much Pokemon know it, but it's like Overgrow, Torrent, and Blaze. And Illuminate only attracts more Pokemon. Normalize only gives STAB for the Normal type Pokemon, such as Skitty.

Years
Well you gotta limit Slaking somehow, with those beastly stats.

And remember Regigigas' Slow Start and Archeops' Defeatist are there to also stop them from being too overpowered.

But I do have to agree that Normalize is useless, since it removes super-effective attacks and the only gimmick with it is to afflict Ground-types with Electric attacks. No wonder I only use Skitty with Cute Charm.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Truant is actual a very good ability when paired with a Pokemon that can swap Abilities around, most notably with Dream World Durant's Entrainment.

Normalize is probably the most useless ability because nearly every Pokemon can learn Return.

Another ability I hate seeing on a good Pokemon is Damp. Both Kingdra and Jellicent get it as their hidden abilities. :[ Their other abilities are so good it's like why even bother getting a DW Horsea? And there is a stationary Damp Jellicent in BW2...such a waste!

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
So like...no ones gunna say anything about my suggested modifications to normalize or illluminate?

Back