• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you ever play the original green?

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Green is good to own for pride and bragging rights only. Alot of the pokemon you can find in the international blue/red versions have to be unlocked through trading in green, such as Jinx. There's slight alterations in 2 maps, but that's a localization issue, not a difference in color as well as a few extra glitches.

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I think I'm happy with my pokemon yellow. Although I've never played pokemon green.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
I used the ROM to do the Dokokashira Door glitch, but I wish I had the real thing. \nerd

GameAce 92

Raichu Fan
Years
I played maybe up to Pewter City, and just couldn't do it anymore. The sprites were horrendous to me, and everything was so poorly translated..it may have just been the version I downloaded. I'm gonna try out the above linked LIPS version.

Brendonwii

Gooby pls
Years
Yes, I bought it on eBay about 8 years ago. (Wow, that long ago).
It's pretty much the same game with different sprites and Pokemon.
However, I glitched it by trading to an Australian version after getting to 6th gym. Haven't touch it since then. \:

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
I recently bought a copy of green, replaced the battery and now I am ready to catch em all.

Years
No.

Have seen game carts labelled as Pokemon Green and found it strange that the cartridge was similar to the blacks of GB Color titles.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Bought a boxed version, still waiting for a battery because the one in the Green is dead.
I also have a fake Green, but it won't load for some reason.

blue

gucci
Years
Yes, I've played it on somebody's Gameboy Colour years ago but I don't personally own it. Plus it's the only mainstream game I don't own.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
No I haven't but I always wanted to lol. There was a rather funny hack made called engrish green. It was a literal translation of the script from green into english. Needless to say it was very bad.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I have only played the "English" ROM long time ago. My English was weak back then so I didn't have any problems with the bad translation. Maybe I'll replay it one of these days. I hope that the translation is so bad it's funny and not just bad.

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
Yes I have actually. Well a ROM of it but meh. xP I've also played the poorly translated ROM as well. xD I was supposed to get a copy of the game, along with every other first gen game in Japanese, but the guy on Ebay never shipped them off... >.>

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
I've played more of Green than any other Gen 1 game. I'm at Victory Road now. Been there for over a year. Should probably pick it back up sometime.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I have! For the Ultimate Solo challenge actually. It was frustrating to be unable to read. Overall, it was just like Red and Blue, although I encountered a lot more glitches than I think I should have. Plus I couldn't get Missingno to appear. *shrugs*

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I don't think I could get into it if I couldn't read stuff D: I know the story and stuff, but y'know, I'd still like to be able to read. And when a Pokémon wanted to learn a new move and stuff I wouldn't know which move it was without the aid of Bulbapedia or something... so I don't think I'll ever play it.

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
Years
I did, on a cartridge imported from Japan since 2004. Bad news though, it broke when my baby brother spilled his milk on it. Frustrating to read though, with the Japanese characters and such.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Why would I play green when there is a English version of it? In fact, I don't have any kanto games in my possession, although I used to have a copy of one of them several years ago.

I'm hunting down for a copy of a old gen 1 game!

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
I own it. I bought it off Ebay about 4 years ago now (wow I can't believe it's been that long). I only got to the 4th gym before I quit because playing in Japanese became too difficult.

Back