• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What do you want to see in the Game Development section?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Game Dev isn't the largest or busiest part of the PokéCommunity, and it never will be. However, it can at least be more popular than it currently is. The question is how to achieve this.

So that's what I'm asking: What do you think could be done to make this place more popular?

When making suggestions, you might want to consider the following:

• Which parts of the "game development" process should this section focus on?
  • Should our focus be on Pokémon-related games only? Pokémon-related computer games only? Or should we have a broader scope?
  • What can be done to encourage the community here?
  • Do you think the layout of this section (and/or subsections) could be changed at all?
Let's hear your thoughts!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Ok. So basically we should offer some good tutorials here even if there are tutorials in the wiki. And this section should focus on the beginners. Beginning at RMXP is rather hard 'cause you don't find a lot of helpers but a lot of beginners so many of them ends up quitting because they couldn't find the help they were looking for. There could also be some little events and maybe emblems to make people more eager in their work.
There aren't much non-Pokemon games made in there and most if not all are developed for computers. Other types of games need programming knowledge and not everyone have them.
The layout doesn't need to be changed in my opinion.
Hope I have been useful and if I was wrong somewhere please do tell me.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The Game Development Thread needs to focus on everything Game Dev Related.
Not just RMXP. It seems everyone uses RMXP because they're too lazy to make their own engines, and the only decent engine is essentials.

One of the problems with the forum is uncontrollable, good projects come, but they never finish. Unless you've wondrous contraption which can fix that, is a problem which will always consist.

Also, we need more group activity, we seem to always be doing solo things, nothing ever together, which was the point of my 'group project' idea a while back, but not many seemed interested, or people were suggesting un group type things. We could have a group project, a competition, something along those lines, getting us all together, bigger and stronger. Rather than alone and things.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
A thread listing all the existing Pokemon Stater Kits for various game-making programs (in-progress or finished, assuming there're any finished ones that aren't Essentials) would be useful. I don't think there's a thread like that yet, is there?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I think the Beginners' Showcase could benefit from being split into a forum of the same title and a second forum exclusively for idea posts, with the latter having tags for whether the thread creator was seeking feedback, team members, or both. (Though a requirement prior to seeking team members such as established examples of work would probably be useful.)

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
[*]Which parts of the "game development" process should this section focus on?
It should focus on Essentials. No other Pokemon Kit is as advanced. There can be a Sub-Forum for more Pokemon starter kits but it's pointless to focus on them or encourage people to use a starter-kit that is not finished. Its more unlikely to finish a game with an unfinished Kit you know.

[*]Should our focus be on Pokémon-related games only? Pokémon-related computer games only? Or should we have a broader scope?
Only Pokemon Related. This is the pokecommunity after all. I don't see a reason why someone should advertise a non-Pokemon game in a Pokemon forum. Non-Pokemon fangames should at least be similar to Pokemon (monster catching/training).

[*]What can be done to encourage the community here?
The key words are "Resources" and "Tutorials". The current "Tutorials & Resources" Sub-Forum is a mess. It would be wise to divide the two. The useful tutorials and the scripts get lost between the Graphic "Resources". And to be honest the graphics mostly aren't useful at all.

[*]Do you think the layout of this section (and/or subsections) could be changed at all?
It can be changed. :D
First I don't get why there are two "Showcases". Is it to divide the just started projects with more advanced ones? If so what benefits does it have if the activity in both Sub-Forums is almost dead? Instead of dividing "new" and "old" projects you should divide "Finished Games", "Games in Development", "Ideas" and "Game Graveyard". This way finished games will get more attention, all games currently developed are in one place, "Idea" threads wont distract from games that are actually developed and abandoned projects will rest in peace.

Like i said before the "Tutorials & Resources" Sub-Forum should be divided in two. Tutorials, Scripts and Programs in one Sub-Forum and Graphics and Audio Resources in another one. The Graphics & Audio Sub-Forum should get prefixes that determine the style the resources have. For example the prefixes can look like this: [RBY/GSC Style], [RSE/FRLG Style], [DPP/HGSS Style], [BW/BW2 Style], [Mixed], [Other]
There should be three kids of Tutorial prefixes in the "Tutorial, Scripts & Programs" Sub-Forum. One is the [RMXP Tutorials] prefix, the other one is [Essentials Tutorials] prefix and the [Other] prefix. The remaining prefixes in this Sub-Forum should be [Script], [Program] and [Misc.].
The "Archive" sticky thread should be replaced completely because it is outdated. The Resources offered there should be Essentials compatible.
The "Requests" sticky thread should be removed.

The Essentials Sub-Forum should be renamed to "Questions, Suggestions & Requests". If Essentials is the main focus of Game Development (which it currently is) there is no need for its own Sub-Forum. The "Download" and "Bug report" threads could be on the main page of game development as sticky threads. The "Suggestions" sticky thread should be removed and a "Suggestion" and "Request" prefix should be added. A "Fulfilled Request" prefix could be helpful to keep the overview. A "FAQ" sticky thread is needed as well (for RMXP & Essentials).

I think this way the people will get more attracted to visit the "Game Development" Section. ;)

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I suggest for extends the max time for reviving the threads to 4 months and make some warning before an user post in these threads.

Which parts of the "game development" process should this section focus on?
In people contributing for Essentials. The current ongoing projects. I wish a return of Screenshot of week, a very neat idea from Cilerba, maybe we can have something like "Tutorial of Month". If Maruno didn't want to make theses things, just points an active Showcase/Beginner's Showcase member like Nintendork15.

Should our focus be on Pokémon-related games only? Pokémon-related computer games only? Or should we have a broader scope?
I wish a focus in pokémon projects. I also wish a kind of connection with the Rom Hacking forum and vice-versa, they are very similar in several aspects.

What can be done to encourage the community here?
Some events/emblems like Game of Month (don't give up, put an announcement on top bar with the finalists). The return of Game Development Monthly.

Do you think the layout of this section (and/or subsections) could be changed at all?
I guess that Tutorials are too divided in Essentials section and Tutorial and Resources, so how about removing the tutorial from Tutorial and Resources and making it more resources only or even fusing the entire section with the main section.

How about posting useful links (like a FAQ) in the main post of request thread? Several times the people request the same things and I post the same answer.

Game Dev isn't the largest or busiest part of the PokéCommunity, and it never will be.
Don't say it too absolutely. The section is very big.

The Game Development Thread needs to focus on everything Game Dev Related.
Not just RMXP. It seems everyone uses RMXP because they're too lazy to make their own engines, and the only decent engine is essentials.
Lazy? Don't reinvent the wheel!

A thread listing all the existing Pokemon Stater Kits for various game-making programs (in-progress or finished, assuming there're any finished ones that aren't Essentials) would be useful. I don't think there's a thread like that yet, is there?
I think that only an update to this thread should be enough.

First I don't get why there are two "Showcases". Is it to divide the just started projects with more advanced ones? If so what benefits does it have if the activity in both Sub-Forums is almost dead? Instead of dividing "new" and "old" projects you should divide "Finished Games", "Games in Development", "Ideas" and "Game Graveyard". This way finished games will get more attention, all games currently developed are in one place, "Idea" threads wont distract from games that are actually developed and abandoned projects will rest in peace.

Like i said before the "Tutorials & Resources" Sub-Forum should be divided in two. Tutorials, Scripts and Programs in one Sub-Forum and Graphics and Audio Resources in another one. The Graphics & Audio Sub-Forum should get prefixes that determine the style the resources have. For example the prefixes can look like this: [RBY/GSC Style], [RSE/FRLG Style], [DPP/HGSS Style], [BW/BW2 Style], [Mixed], [Other]
There should be three kids of Tutorial prefixes in the "Tutorial, Scripts & Programs" Sub-Forum. One is the [RMXP Tutorials] prefix, the other one is [Essentials Tutorials] prefix and the [Other] prefix. The remaining prefixes in this Sub-Forum should be [Script], [Program] and [Misc.].
The "Archive" sticky thread should be replaced completely because it is outdated. The Resources offered there should be Essentials compatible.

The Essentials Sub-Forum should be renamed to "Questions, Suggestions & Requests". If Essentials is the main focus of Game Development (which it currently is) there is no need for its own Sub-Forum. The "Download" and "Bug report" threads could be on the main page of game development as sticky threads. The "Suggestions" sticky thread should be removed and a "Suggestion" and "Request" prefix should be added. A "Fulfilled Request" prefix could be helpful to keep the overview. A "FAQ" sticky thread is needed as well (for RMXP & Essentials).

I think this way the people will get more attracted to visit the "Game Development" Section. ;)
A sub-forum for 3 threads? I really wants to encourage finished games, but I disagree with this. You are making too many divisions! This section isn't active enough for this!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I'm not liking everyone's decision on just Pokemon Games.
May as well rename the whole forum to Pokémon Fan Games, rather than Game development.

Point is everyone on this forum presumes Game Development here will be a Pokemon game, thus this part doesn't get as much excitement, when Rom Hacking already covers just Pokemon Hacks

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Ok. So basically we should offer some good tutorials here even if there are tutorials in the wiki. And this section should focus on the beginners. Beginning at RMXP is rather hard 'cause you don't find a lot of helpers but a lot of beginners so many of them ends up quitting because they couldn't find the help they were looking for. There could also be some little events and maybe emblems to make people more eager in their work.

There aren't much non-Pokemon games made in there and most if not all are developed for computers. Other types of games need programming knowledge and not everyone have them.
That's definitely true. There's currently not really anything which beginners can look at to help them get started, in particular something with the focus of making a Pokémon game. There's a thread in the Tutorials section which is a start to addressing this problem, but it's specific to RMXP and a bit wordy - something more generalised would be better, as would be including links to various off-site tutorials and other things.

It's also true that everything in here so far are computer games. Perhaps I'll have a competition to come up with an idea for a non-digital Pokémon game (e.g. card game, board game, D&D-type game, word game, whatever), just to force the idea that not all games need to be computer-based.

One of the problems with the forum is uncontrollable, good projects come, but they never finish. Unless you've wondrous contraption which can fix that, is a problem which will always consist.

Also, we need more group activity, we seem to always be doing solo things, nothing ever together, which was the point of my 'group project' idea a while back, but not many seemed interested, or people were suggesting un group type things. We could have a group project, a competition, something along those lines, getting us all together, bigger and stronger. Rather than alone and things.
Yes, your first paragraph is certainly one of the "biggies". Part of coping with it would be more information about the game development process, and indicating how much work it actually takes. Maybe there could even be a freelancer who goes between projects helping out for a while at a time? Yes, I know that's unlikely.

Aside from a community game (which I liked the idea of, although I had a different idea to everyone else), I'm not entirely sure what to get people involved in. Writing tutorials and helpful articles, perhaps? Some form of GDM?

There isn't, as far as I know. This would tie in to my suggestion above of a general thread for beginners which introduces game dev.

I think the Beginners' Showcase could benefit from being split into a forum of the same title and a second forum exclusively for idea posts, with the latter having tags for whether the thread creator was seeking feedback, team members, or both. (Though a requirement prior to seeking team members such as established examples of work would probably be useful.)
I'm hesitant to increase the number of sections, and I'm not sure that ideas are different enough to beginning projects to warrant them being separated. Tags could certainly be used for threads to provide more immediate information, though, so I'll look into how those work.

It should focus on Essentials. No other Pokemon Kit is as advanced. There can be a Sub-Forum for more Pokemon starter kits but it's pointless to focus on them or encourage people to use a starter-kit that is not finished. Its more unlikely to finish a game with an unfinished Kit you know.

Only Pokemon Related. This is the pokecommunity after all. I don't see a reason why someone should advertise a non-Pokemon game in a Pokemon forum. Non-Pokemon fangames should at least be similar to Pokemon (monster catching/training).
I disagree on both points. Yes, Essentials is the best option for the average person, but it's certainly not the only option and we shouldn't restrict the alternatives. Yes, the majority of games here will be Pokémon-related, but there will be (and are) a couple which aren't, and those shouldn't be discouraged either. This is just the "Game Development" section, not the "Pokémon Games Made In Essentials" section.

The key words are "Resources" and "Tutorials". The current "Tutorials & Resources" Sub-Forum is a mess. It would be wise to divide the two. The useful tutorials and the scripts get lost between the Graphic "Resources". And to be honest the graphics mostly aren't useful at all.
That section could definitely use a bit of tidying-up, although I'm not sure how to do it. The two things are related, but are they enough to keep them in the same section? I just think perhaps that a stand-alone Tutorials section would be rather bare.

A stickied thread with links to all the tutorial threads could help, but it'd be a whole lot of effort.

That's how I see those two sections working, yes. I think it's the best way to split them up, because The Showcase takes all the "big" games so that they don't overshadow the beginning games and ideas. I've already mentioned that there's little difference between ideas and new games, and I don't think they need to be separated.

Dead projects will eventually become inactive anyway, and we have a necro-bumping rule (i.e. don't). Projects which specifically announce that they've stopped will have their threads locked. We don't need to do anything special about those.

There's a thread mentioning all the games with demos, including the finished games, which I think is enough. It's up to each game's developer to let me know if their game needs adding to the list, though.

Some good ideas there. More prefixes would definitely be useful, and that archive thread probably needs removing. I'm not sure about scrapping the Requests thread, though.

How about having a thread for each kind of resource, rather than having everyone make their own threads for a couple of sprites or tiles? The first post in each thread could list all the posted resources within it, with links. In that case, which threads are needed would need to be decided.

As I said before, Game Dev shouldn't be restricted to just one kind of game (such as Essentials games). Essentials is certainly a big thing here, but it shouldn't be the only thing.

I think the Essentials section is fine as it is, although I'm not sure whether to encourage Essentials-specific tutorials to go in there or in the Tutorials & Resources section.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I disagree on both points. Yes, Essentials is the best option for the average person, but it's certainly not the only option and we shouldn't restrict the alternatives. Yes, the majority of games here will be Pokémon-related, but there will be (and are) a couple which aren't, and those shouldn't be discouraged either. This is just the "Game Development" section, not the "Pokémon Games Made In Essentials" section.
I guess you are right.

That section could definitely use a bit of tidying-up, although I'm not sure how to do it. The two things are related, but are they enough to keep them in the same section? I just think perhaps that a stand-alone Tutorials section would be rather bare.

A stickied thread with links to all the tutorial threads could help, but it'd be a whole lot of effort.
A thread for each tutorial where you can discuss stuff is IMO better. But the tutorials should be in one place so that they don't mix with other threads.

That's how I see those two sections working, yes. I think it's the best way to split them up, because The Showcase takes all the "big" games so that they don't overshadow the beginning games and ideas. I've already mentioned that there's little difference between ideas and new games, and I don't think they need to be separated.
Did you ever thought about that so many people quit their games or don't even start because the so called "big" games get extra attention? The most games in "The Showcase" will not get finished anyways. So what makes the "big" games so special? That the author of the thread took the time to write an essay about stuff he hopes to include in his game instead of working on it? There is a reason why the more successful Rom Hacking section doesn't differ between new and old. ;)

How about having a thread for each kind of resource, rather than having everyone make their own threads for a couple of sprites or tiles? The first post in each thread could list all the posted resources within it, with links. In that case, which threads are needed would need to be decided.
This is a good idea. Well there are three basic resources you need to make a game. Graphics Audio and Scripts. So making a request thread for each of them would be the most logical.

I think the Essentials section is fine as it is, although I'm not sure whether to encourage Essentials-specific tutorials to go in there or in the Tutorials & Resources section.
IMO it is wiser to collect all the Knowledge in one place. An Essentials prefix in the tutorials section should be enough to separate the Essentials tutorials with the other ones.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Yes, your first paragraph is certainly one of the "biggies". Part of coping with it would be more information about the game development process, and indicating how much work it actually takes. Maybe there could even be a freelancer who goes between projects helping out for a while at a time? Yes, I know that's unlikely.

Aside from a community game (which I liked the idea of, although I had a different idea to everyone else), I'm not entirely sure what to get people involved in. Writing tutorials and helpful articles, perhaps? Some form of GDM?

I don't mind helping with Tutorials and helpful Articles, and even some form of a GDM.
I've been meaning to do tutorials on small things like events and mapping, which people seem to ask in the essentails or tutorial section.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
What do you mean with GDM? Game Developer's Magazine?

I'm writing a mapping tutorial as we speak. I also think that it might be helpful to provide exercises and challenges for the reader when writing them, this could be particularly handy when it come down to scripting tutorials.

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
Years
I think a lot of highlights should be done more, to inspire people to up their quality.

In the Beginner's Showcase, and The Showcase, one forum a month should get a highlight, telling everyone to check them out, with a really good screen shown. That way, more attention is drawn to a certain topic, and many people want to be there themselves.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015

I'm writing a mapping tutorial as we speak. I also think that it might be helpful to provide exercises and challenges for the reader when writing them, this could be particularly handy when it come down to scripting tutorials.

That's what I presumed it meant. Also, you can still do so if you wish. But I've made a mapping tut.

We could have a GDM (magazine) featuring things such as monthly tutorial, monthly selected game, and competition winners of the month (If we were to have any) etc.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
It's also true that everything in here so far are computer games. Perhaps I'll have a competition to come up with an idea for a non-digital Pokémon game (e.g. card game, board game, D&D-type game, word game, whatever), just to force the idea that not all games need to be computer-based.
This is a very important thought for a developer/designer

There isn't, as far as I know. This would tie in to my suggestion above of a general thread for beginners which introduces game dev.
I believe that only a revision in Abnegation Tutorial should be enough.

I agree with the__end. We need to focus in the best options, but not totally excluding the others options.

Maybe this gets well if you fuse tutorials section with the main section.

Game Development Monthly, as I said in my post.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Well, I find it just weird that really good games that has been released into a thread are never replied back to. Theres 80 people in the section at a time, I think we should be more open and comment on each others games more.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
One thing that really harbors a sense of community at my school is an event called a 'game jam,' in which people are given 24-48 hours to try and come up with and execute a prototype for a game either solo or as a team. Perhaps something along those lines could be a fun way to get people involved.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Maybe. But as an interne based community, I don't think thats gonna work as well. :c

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I've actually seen it done as an online event as well. If I recall correctly, Surgeon Simulator 2013 came from such an online game jam.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
These are the few good important points I could think of :

★Game Development isn't exactly the 'in' right now. Because Hacking is what people prefer, obviously since it's been here longer and there are way more sites than just PC which spotlight hacking. Someway or the other, we'll have to spread to other people.

Most people don't like Game Dev because, like, first they think it is advanced programming and they just leave it off, or they find the price tag of the RMXP (xD). Only the few clever people who don't use RMXP or, get it one way or the other go on to make a cool game.

★Of course, the above point only covers Pokémon games, and other kinds of GD are rare, especially in Pokémon fansites, so, what can we expect? The thing is, without proper help a beginner will find it really hard to move up, so there should be many tutorials, yeah. I think the starter kit was one of the best ideas ever, but it also leaves people stranded, and they'll start making Games out of the base it gives, and won't think of adding their own features and actually learn something. This is mainly because of the lack of tutorials, and I strongly feel that something can be made out of a few good tutorial implementations for the basics.

★More people get easily discouraged because there are less number of peers, and that might also strand them. This would work in a bad way, because say someone got RM2K3, he wouldn't find much support from someone else, since most people try out RMXP.

TBH, I would like to say more about what can be seen here. Like, first things first :

★An implementations of a bunch of starting-out tutorials, like the one made by Abnegation. Actually, there should be a tutorial for showing the workings of Ruby Script Editor of RMXP, like a come-along with Essentials. Also a few guidelines on where to start below the heading - "Welcome to Game Development!"

★Might I also suggest adding up a Help thread in the main forums, along with some kind of a "General Game Development Discussion Thread". Also, there should be people on lookout for beginners and encourage them however they can, because, frankly, if we wanna make Game Dev big, e'll need more people here.

That's my views, for now.

Back