• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Did this fix up in the current version of the Essential?

Sliding on ice causes the screen to track too far

Sliding on ice terrain may won't center the players on screen.
Solution: In Scene_Map, before line 'def transfer_player(cancelVehicles=true)' put:
def updateSprites for i in @spritesets.keys @spritesets.updateSprites end end In Spriteset_Map, before line 'def in_range?(object)' put:
def updateSprites for sprite in @character_sprites sprite.update end end In PokemonField, after line 'end while pbGetTerrainTag(event)==PBTerrain::Ice' put:
$game_player.center($game_player.x, $game_player.y) $scene.updateSprites -FL- 14:01, June 19, 2012 (UTC)

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Known_bugs/Old_bugs

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I'm not sure if this is a technically a bug, but I thought I would bring it to your attention if you don't already know. For some reason, I believe a lot of the text and button locations during a battle are dependent on the windowskin. Not the text box, the skin.

All the windowskins are a 40x40 pixel box, but have a 2 pixel border around them. I was making a custom windowskin, and I made it 80x80 accidentally, with no border. It worked fine, except when I entered a battle, all the text (not in the battle boxes) and the buttons for selecting "fight, bag, etc" and the move select were shifted right and down. It took me a long time to realize it is the new windowskin that caused this. I tried resizing my new skin to 40x40, but still didn't have a border. When I tried a battle again it was a lot better, but everything was still shifted up and right a little. I redid my windowskin again, and this time had a 2 pixel border. Now, everything shows up where it is supposed to. I can give some screenshots if you don't understand what I am saying.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I'm not sure if this is a technically a bug, but I thought I would bring it to your attention if you don't already know. For some reason, I believe a lot of the text and button locations during a battle are dependent on the windowskin. Not the text box, the skin.

All the windowskins are a 40x40 pixel box, but have a 2 pixel border around them. I was making a custom windowskin, and I made it 80x80 accidentally, with no border. It worked fine, except when I entered a battle, all the text (not in the battle boxes) and the buttons for selecting "fight, bag, etc" and the move select were shifted right and down. It took me a long time to realize it is the new windowskin that caused this. I tried resizing my new skin to 40x40, but still didn't have a border. When I tried a battle again it was a lot better, but everything was still shifted up and right a little. I redid my windowskin again, and this time had a 2 pixel border. Now, everything shows up where it is supposed to. I can give some screenshots if you don't understand what I am saying.
Screenshots would be nice, especially as you're talking about a visual quirk.

Might it be the case that the text just appears shifted right-and-down when you have zero padding simply because the text window itself is a bit larger because of that lack of padding? That is, if you take two screenshots of the same scene, one for each windowskin, and then overlay them and alternate between them to spot the differences, does the text itself remain still while the windowskin changes size a little?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I am not on my computer anymore so I can't give screens right now. For the text, only the text moves. The text box thing that gives the battle messages stays in place. The buttons shift and the text stays centered in them. It's not really important though, as long as you only use 40x40 pixel boxes. Just wanted to point it out

Maruno

Years
I am not on my computer anymore so I can't give screens right now. For the text, only the text moves. The text box thing that gives the battle messages stays in place. The buttons shift and the text stays centered in them. It's not really important though, as long as you only use 40x40 pixel boxes. Just wanted to point it out
Maybe the wiki can explain something. The position of text within a message box depends on that windowskin's dimensions, and there are only 4 sets of dimensions you should really be using. Perhaps that's where you're messing up - I still don't quite understand what you're on about, particularly when you talk about 40x40 pixels (what is this size?).

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
That was fixed in v8. That's why it's on the "Old bugs" page, and why it is mentioned as fixed in v8's change log.

At least, no one's complained that it's still broken.

No one's checked I guess. I'll give you a text explanation and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mhFX4TguE

The camera still falls behind, and encounters you *would have* gotten on the ice still occur, but just wait until you land on proper ground and happen all at once.

Additionally, if you have a really long ice path (and I mean unrealistically long, but I do think it's something to take into consideration), the game crashes with a stack error of random nature.

Code:
Exception: SystemStackError
PokemonField:567:in `pbIsPassableWaterTag?'
Game_Map_:187:in `passable?'
Game_Map_:180:in `each'
Game_Map_:180:in `passable?'
Game_Character_1:105:in `passableEx?'
Game_Character_1:123:in `passable?'
Game_Player_:213:in `passable?'
PokemonField:1315:in `pbSlideOnIce'
PokemonField:1314:in `loop'
PokemonField:1323:in `pbSlideOnIce'

Game_Map_:96:in `data'
Game_Map_:264:in `terrain_tag'
Game_Map_:263:in `each'
Game_Map_:263:in `terrain_tag'
PokemonMap:806:in `getTerrainTag'
PokemonMap:812:in `getFacingTerrainTag'
PokemonField:2320:in `pbFacingTerrainTag'
PokemonField:1296:in `pbLedge'
Game_Player_:72:in `move_right'
Game_Character_3_:170:in `move_forward'

PokemonControls:200:in `count'
PokemonControls:198:in `each'
PokemonControls:198:in `count'
PokemonControls:139:in `dir4'
PokemonControls:138:in `each'
PokemonControls:138:in `dir4'
Game_Player_:372:in `update_old'
Walk_Run:71:in `update'
Scene_Map:85:in `miniupdate'
Scene_Map:83:in `loop'

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2014
I don't know if this is a bug but its not working correctly, Any text box (ie: Makeing a mystory gift) You cant type in them.. Is this just me? Does it for all of them, Not the ones that pop-up in the menu tho just the debug stuff.. Thanks

Maruno

Years
No one's checked I guess. I'll give you a text explanation and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mhFX4TguE

The camera still falls behind, and encounters you *would have* gotten on the ice still occur, but just wait until you land on proper ground and happen all at once.

Additionally, if you have a really long ice path (and I mean unrealistically long, but I do think it's something to take into consideration), the game crashes with a stack error of random nature.
You didn't mention you were cycling. For some reason any movement speed other than walking causes that problem (otherwise I would make ice-sliding faster).

I don't know if this is a bug but its not working correctly, Any text box (ie: Makeing a mystory gift) You cant type in them.. Is this just me? Does it for all of them, Not the ones that pop-up in the menu tho just the debug stuff.. Thanks
Can you provide a specific example?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years

I was using this just yesterday, and it seemed to work fine for me.

You didn't mention you were cycling. For some reason any movement speed other than walking causes that problem (otherwise I would make ice-sliding faster).
It happens when walking for me as well. just much slower, to the point where the game crashes from sliding to far before he reaches even half way to the end of the screen.

And what about the other bugs such as the system stack error and the accumulating encounters?

Sorry if I sound like I'm being demanding, I just want to make sure everything has been made aware of.

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2014
Hmm how could i give an example? Ill try to describe it,
name=Kernel.pbMessageFreeText("Enter a phrase.","",false,32) Is the textbox code i think
I go to make the mystory gift (A pokemon) And i get to the Name part and it doesnt seem to type?
I try'ed using on screen keybored also didn't work. Does it for all debug pbMessageFreeText. eh ;/

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Hello

The game is crashing when the Bug Contest ends. This is the message I receive:

"
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within event 4, map 29 (Natural Park Entrance):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Section120:236:in `pbBugContestScore'undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass
Full script:
pbBugContestState.pbStartJudging

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
PokemonBugContest:236:in `each'
PokemonBugContest:236:in `pbBugContestScore'
PokemonBugContest:96:in `pbJudge'
PokemonBugContest:152:in `pbStartJudging'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1600:in `eval'
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1600:in `command_355'
Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1600:in `command_355'
Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:101:in `loop'
Scene_Map:114:in `update'
Scene_Map:68:in `main'
"

NM problem solved by replacing line 236 by
for i in pokemon.iv; ivscore+=i; end

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
If you use Fly when riding bicycle, after you reach in destination your still will be riding.

Blue Flute, Yellow Flute, Red Flute and Poké Flute aren't working in battle. To fix this, in PokeBattle_ActualScene, in line 'if usetype==1' add ' || usetype==3'. In line 'elsif usetype==2' add ' || usetype==4'. In items.txt you need to make the Poké Flute final ',5,2,6' to ',5,3,6' or change the effect to doesn't select a pokémon.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Sucker Punch work's even if a non-damaging move is being used. I am not sure if all the abilites and move effects are working but just thought I would let you know.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
The Pokeradar does not work well.

When I use PokeRadar the grasses move since it must work, but the majority of the times on having trodden on these grasses does not appear any Pokemon, the chain is cut and I have to use again the Pokerada (after recharging 50 steps)

If I use Repellent, the Pokemon does not also appear on having trodden on these special grasses. I remember that in the original game if it was possible to do it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2013
Hey there, not sure if this was mentioned yet or not, but when you use Volt Switch on the last Pokémon in a trainer battle OR when you're battling a wild Pokémon, you still have to switch out to send someone out, and when the Poke comes out, the previous guy gains all the experience. So it still somewhat works the way it is supposed to, but the switching thing shouldn't happen, m'right?

EDIT: Apparently, when I used Work Up on my Herdier, I had the option to select my opponent to use it on. Though when he uses Work Up, it does the usual effects. I don't believe I'm supposed to have the option of targetting who to use Work Up on. This was in Double Battles BTW.

Last edited:

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
After editing the Image 'Splash' I got :
Code:
Script 'Scene_Intro' line 78: NameError occurred
uninitialized constant IntroEventScene:PBSpecies

Last edited:
Back