• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Many the Miles

Umbreon Ruler

Like clockwork
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but not to writing (well... I've only been writing for about a year, but that seems like a long time now that I look back). Hm... not much I can say here other than that I hope you enjoy this, a little fiction I'm writing. I believe that is all.

Many the Miles

*//One\\*
A BOY AND HIS EGG

One wanted a parent; one wished for a partner; and the third hoped for a teacher. They knew each other only through casual meetings that usually lasted for a couple of minutes. They didn't know the amount they had in common or the multitude of ways that they differed. They knew not why they each were in the same room, or contained in tiny, odd spaces that seemed to make just the right amount of space for their bodies. They hadn't even the slightest clue that, within that very hour, they would be taken from the place they'd called home for a year, perhaps finding what they were searching for.

The first, located the farthest left in the row, had thoughts swirling throughout her brain. They weren't words, as you might think, but rather feelings, spinning like a whirlpool, coming together to convey ideas. Protection. That was the central scheme of the bubbling emotions. She wanted someone to protect and take care of her. She needed it.

The second, directly to the right of the first, was very different. His mind was full of beauty and romanticism, lush and full like the rainforest. An equal is what he desired. Someone to share and connect with. If he could only have that, he would be completely satisfied. Nothing could be better, he knew.

The third, last in line, was like others of his kind. He hoped to improve and succeed, and to do that, he needed someone to show him the path to greatness. His yearning had far surpassed a simple wish. It now burned with a fiery passion in his body. His life would be worthless if he couldn't reach his goals. He would not deserve to live.

"It's almost time."

They all heard it. They didn't understand exactly, but they received the general meaning: something important – and possibly good- was about to happen.

They waited patiently.

\-+-/​

A boy of about ten stood on a soft green lawn, leaning smugly on a wooden white fence. His bright red hair was gelled to perfection, shooting upward in thick spikes. Even the small patch that fell down in front of his eye had been doused in mousse to ensure the perfect angle. He wore a black outfit, including the cape, which was lined in a blood red color, a style borrowed from a certain celebrity. His icy blue eyes stared coolly toward a mansion-like building a few blocks away. It could just barely be seen around the several large houses in the area.

Without shifting his gaze, he pulled an expensive-looking cell phone out of his pocket, dialed a number that he had by now learned by heart, and raised the device to his ear. After a moment of waiting, he began speaking:

"Lance? It's time to go… yeah, get Brianna… okay, I'll meet you there… bye." He snapped the phone shut and returned it to his pocket. Then, he walked slowly through a gate and down the sidewalk.

\-+-/​

"Agh! Ooh! Ow!" A child, also ten years-old, was pedaling his rusty red bicycle over what could almost pass for a dirt road, considering all of the potholes, which he couldn't evade, despite his most tactful efforts. Of course, it didn't help that he wore thin shorts and sat upon a less-than-comfortable bicycle seat.

Gradually, after minutes of painful riding, the street adopted a smoother surface and the surroundings became cleaner and more eye-pleasing. This was a sign that he was nearing his destination. That was good, since his legs were searing with pain.

In this neighborhood, every home seemed to be painted a gleaming white, and every yard was perfect, right down to every individual blade of grass. There was one place, however, that outshined all of the others. It was a large building at the edge of town, connected to more than two-hundred acres of countryside. The residence was two stories high, with a porch bordering the entire bottom level, and a balcony on the top. It looked as if it had once been the house of a very wealthy family, converted into a workplace. It still retained its beauty, however.

It was less than a block away, but on the boy's burning thighs, it was like a mile. Lucky for him, the rest of the way was downhill. He glided down, exhausted but determined, and eventually reached the garden at the front of the yard, throwing down his bike and stumbling as fast as he could toward the frosted glass door.

Trying to stand up straight and gain a little poise, he puffed out his chest and rang the doorbell, which echoed with an elegant trill. The boy's breathing halted when he heard footsteps inside. Soon, a large figure cracked the door open. He was very dignified, with nearly faded gray hair and a clean, sleek white lab coat.

"Yes?" he asked.

"Professor Oak," the boy said, "my name is Danny- uh, Daniel Carson, and I'm here to receive a starter Pokémon."

"I'm sorry, they're all gone." He smiled with forced politeness and began to leave.

"Wait!" Danny put his hand on the glass and pushed his way inside. His mouth was wide with disbelief. "Gone!? How?"

"Three very nice children came by just a few minutes ago and got them." He proceeded to gently edge Danny out the entrance but he wouldn't be moved.

"Please, sir! I woke up two hours ago and I pedaled as fast as I could all the way here! There must be something you can do!"

He shook his head and, for the third time, tried to end the conversation. "I only give out three a year. Better luck next time."

"But I've been waiting for this day for as long as I can remember!" he yelled worriedly, panic overtaking him.

"You, and every other kid in Kanto," he said, almost rolling his eyes. It was apparent that he wasn't having a good day. "Bye now." Finally, he managed to get Danny out, and sighed with relief as he walked through the small blue waiting room and into his office.

As he began typing, his eyes drifted to a photograph on the wall, but he immediately looked away and muttered something under his breath. A few seconds later, he couldn't help but look at it again. It showed a young boy who looked as if he was a miniature version of the professor. He was proudly holding up a backpack which had eight shiny pings stuck to it. Next to him was a dark red lizard. It had a bump in the back of its head and a bright orange flame burning at the tip of its long tail. They looked happy together.

"Very happy…" he mumbled, groaning. Rubbing the back of his neck, he stood up and jogged to the door, flinging it open and looking around in a half-frantic state. To his right, walking his bike up the hill, he saw Danny, head hung low and shoulders slumped.

"Young man!?" he called, cupping his hands around the corners of his mouth. "I think I might be able to find something for you!" He couldn't help but grin slightly when the boy dropped his bike and sprinted to him. When he got there, his breathing was labored and his legs were wobbling, but his brown eyes were glowing with hope and excitement.

"Really?"

Oak smiled and nodded, taking him inside and giving him a seat. "Now just wait there a moment." He left the room and entered a bright, warm space. It was full of cylindrical glass cases that were capped with gold-painted metal rims. Every last one was empty, it appeared. However, one, hidden on the bottom shelf in the corner, held a small, creamy white egg, that's only blemish was a tiny black swirl located at the smallest point on the very top of its hard surface.

Lifting it to eye level, the man searched for a label, but found none. After a moment of consideration, he shrugged and took it into the living space, where Danny awaited.

"Here you go!" He handed it to him, staring at his face intently.

The boy took it into his smaller, smoother hand, and blinked at it, then at the professor. "An… an egg?" he asked skeptically. "You're giving me an egg?"

"Mm-hm." He nodded proudly. "What do you think?"

"Eh… it's…" He paused. "Great…" An incredibly phony grin spread across his face. "Thaaanks…"

Seeing his displeasure, he decided to move on to the next formality of receiving a Pokémon. Excusing himself, he hurriedly sifted through several items in his desk drawer, until he found a bright red object. It was rectangular, with smooth edges, and three lights at the top. He opened the hinged plastic door on it, pressed a few buttons experimentally, and then took it to Danny, explaining that it was a Pokédex, a tool used for identifying Pokémon.

"The latest models have a solar panel for energy," he continued, "but this is only a prototype, so it needs batteries to function. The ones in there now should be fresh enough for a couple of weeks, but I suggest you pack extras. Now, if we're all set-"

"Wait," he stood up and gestured to the egg. "When will this thing hatch?"

"Well, if you want the truth… I haven't been keeping records on this particular egg, so… it could really be any time."

"So…" he started. "It could be weeks?" The apologetic look on the older man's face was answer enough. "Okay… I guess I'll see ya later, then…" Feeling oddly shorthanded, he marched back to his bike and carefully took off, making sure to protect the egg.

\-+-/​

'Is that him?' a woman thought to herself, scraping a large helping of scrambled eggs onto a paper plate. She was in a small, desperately tidy kitchen with flower pattern wallpaper and a wooden floor. The lady was almost a human embodiment of the room: her appearance was strained but well-kempt, and a few food stains even speckled her floral dress. She was very petite and plain. The only difference was, while the flat ceiling was an eggshell color, her hair was a chocolaty brown, swirling and curling in many directions.

She hastily poured a glass of orange juice and set it next to the plate, just as she heard the front door open.

"Mom?" a voiced asked from the next room. Within seconds, the owner of the voice, Danny, entered, carrying the egg.

"Hi, honey!" she said hopefully. "How'd it go?"

"How does it look?" he asked with a hint of sarcasm. "There was no Pokémon left, which I'm sure was Dante's fault, so he gave me this thing."

"I don't know why you don't like that boy." She handed him a fork and pulled his chair out. "He's so polite. And you shouldn't complain, either. That egg is almost better than a live Pokémon. When it hatches, it'll be completely loyal for life."

"How would you know?" he mumbled, shuffling his food around the plate.

"I think you're forgetting that I was a trainer." As if on cue, a small orange dog entered. Its chest, muzzle, and tail were manila-colored and fluffy, while oppositely-shaded stripes lined its back. "Max and I were quite a pair," she said proudly, lifting the canine into her arms.

"Max didn't come from an egg," he said, just loud enough so she could hear him.

The conversation went on for about five minutes, up until the point when Danny finished his meal and went upstairs to double-check his packing. After adding batteries to assortment, he judged himself ready to go and left the house.

"Don't forget to… win," she said, sauntering up to the fence as her son was climbing onto his bike.

"I will," he answered, trying to hide a smile. "B-"

"And," she said quickly, losing her casual smile for a moment, "call me whenever you can. I-in case you need… y'know, tips," she added, flipping back her hair nonchalantly.

"I will," he repeated, beginning to pedal.

"And one more thing!" She was almost yelling now, even though he was just a couple feet away. "If you ever need help, there's police in every town. Don't be embarrassed to ask them anything."

"I won't." He officially took off, trying to ignore the fact that his mother was jogging alongside him for as long as their yard would permit.

"And Danny!?"

He looked back at her.

"I love you!"

He blushed and continued riding, but managed to croak out an "I love you too" and "goodbye" before he was out of earshot.

From that moment on, he thought, he was on his own. He had mixed feelings, but was sure that overall, it was for the best. Nobody told stories about people who sat at home all their lives, he decided.

\-+-/​

The sun was setting. The day was over. Danny had moved several miles, but the egg had only shaken a few times. He was sure that it would never hatch.

"At least not in my lifetime," he grumbled, leaning back against a large oak tree. He had settled in a foresty area to rest for the night. He had left home expecting adventure and danger; basically, the way journeys were portrayed on television. What he had found though, was that large-scale trips were little more than moving uninterruptedly forward. Even the most common Pokémon, such as Rattata and Pidgey, had avoided him, offering little to enjoy while he rode.

"Rrrrr…"

One eye cracked open, scanning the place curiously. That's when he saw a large purple mouse peeking at him from a nearby bush. It observed him suspiciously.

'Finally, a Pokémon!' He began to stand, hoping to amuse himself with a chase, but decided against it as he felt fatigue grip his muscles. Resignedly, he picked up a stone and chunked it at the creature, watching with a bittersweet feeling as it dashed away with a frightened squeak and hide amongst the foliage.

"Too bad," he whispered, leaning back against the tree.

"Raaaaa… ticate!!"

He was up in an instant, body aflame with exhaustion as he faced a new enemy: a fat, dirty-looking rat. It was much bigger than the previous Pokémon, but showed clear relations, such as its long white whiskers, large ears, and of course, it enormous, dangerous teeth.

"Rrrrrr…" it growled, crawling threateningly in Danny's direction. Hundreds of fluttering possibilities swam through his mind, but the most reasonable was that this Raticate was the previously seen Rattata's mother. He knew well enough from school that messing with a baby Pokémon was one of the most dangerous things a trainer could do.

'Especially when I don't even have a Pokémon of my own!' he thought fearfully, looking for a means of escape. Without giving it much thought, he sprinted to the right, not looking back, until he tripped over a gnarled root, landing flat on his face.

He whimpered as he assumed the fetal position, preparing for the worst. But the fatal bite never came. After a moment, he dared to look up.

He sucked back a gasp.

Standing over the bare egg was the Raticate, sniffing it hungrily. She nudged it inquisitively, testing its weight and size. Then, she opened her mouth very wide, revealing a whole row of deadly-looking fangs.

"No!"

Without thinking, the young trainer had retrieved a nearby stick and hurled it full strength at his enemy, knocking her forcefully on the side, which sent her tumbling back a few feet. That was all he needed to get the unborn Pokémon into his arms once again.

"Cate!"

He turned on his heel and took off again. He ran for nearly a minute, taking every turn he found in an attempt to lose the fast-approaching Pokémon. If the situation had been so frantic, he would've sworn that he felt the little item shake violently as his heart rate increased.

Finally, he reached the base of a small cliff, just tall enough to stop him in his tracks. Turning out blank solutions, he turned around to face his fate. Shockingly, for the first time, he noticed how dark it was. The bushes were nothing more than huddled black masses against the dark gray grass. He couldn't even tell where his hunter was hidden anymore.

"Somebody…" He fell on his butt and leaned against the rock wall. "… please help." It was nothing more than a wheeze. His head dropped as he rested. He could just make out the white egg. It was blurry, both from the dark and the fact that it was vibrating. His mouth fell agape, but quickly snapped shut as he heard heavy breathing just feet in front of him.

He looked up and squinted, trying to tell if what he saw was the Raticate or an illusion. When it squealed at him, he knew the awful truth.

This was it, he knew. His entire career as a trainer was about to be over, before it ever really had the chance to begin. His mother might never know what happened to him, until one day when they found his skeleton, picked clean by the wildlife. She would cry for a while, and eventually forget about him. Maybe she would have a new son; one that didn't die on Route 1. All of this darted across his mind as he awaited imminent doom.

"Ratta… ratta… cate!" The amorphous blob leapt into the air. The boy felt a small explosion against his chest, which he first thought was the Pokémon landing on him, but knew that to be false when a heavy ball of thin hair and sharp claws landed on him.

"Agh! Help me! Somebody! Pl-" He paused. Nothing was happening. No pain, no shrieking from the attacking animal. It felt as if it was just lying on him. In fact, he could've sworn it was sleeping. Its stomach was moving up and down slowly and rhythmically and its breathing was gentle and controlled.

'It IS sleeping!' Carefully, he lifted her, using every muscle he had left, and set her upon the grass. With a long sigh, he fell down, savoring the feeling of the soft grass.

"Wag!"

If he could've, he would have sprang up, and searched for the source of the noise. However, at the moment, he found sleep to be more important than his safety.

"Poli!"

This time, it came from right in front of his face; mere inches away. Soon, he felt tiny, quick breaths on his nose. That was just enough to get him up once again. Fear had taken a backseat to curiosity as he blindly searched the ground with his hands, finding a slick, round creature only slightly larger than his fist. He took it one hand and, using the other, struggled to lift himself off the ground. In a drunken stagger, he got out of the cliff's shadow and into the moonlight, where he could get a better look at the baby in his hand.

"Poli?" It was a cute, dark blue tadpole, standing on two toeless feet. On its white stomach was a black swirl pattern, and a pair of pink lips rested under its beady black eyes. A white tail, presumably for swimming, stuck out of its lower back.

"You…" he mumbled. "You're the egg?" It stared at him blankly. "And you… did you save me?"

"Poliwag!" The aquatic animal brightened instantly, hopping once. It was almost as if it could understand him.

Danny smiled weakly, stroking his new Pokémon. "I guess… I have to name you… Wally…? Allen…? James…?" It showed displeasure at each one. He tried several more, but none of them sat well with the water-type. "Well," he grumbled, closing his eyes, "what do y- wait… are you a girl?"

A look of silent confirmation appeared on her face.

"Then… Chloe?" She smiled and cried out satisfactorily. Then, very slowly, the spiral on her stomach began spinning as Danny watched. It was very inviting, he thought, sitting down. It calmed him. Without much resistance, he settled in the grass and yawned. Within seconds, he was asleep…

\-+-/​

That morning, in Professor Oak's laboratory, one Pokémon had wanted a parent, another had wanted a partner, and a third had wanted a teacher. Unknown to anyone, a fourth, hidden away, had a different wish. Before she had even tasted the joy of life, she knew exactly what she wanted: a friend. By the end of the day, while she settled in for her own rest, she could take comfort in the fact that she had found one.

Last edited:

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Very well done. Your description is excellent and the voice is captivating. Your intro and outro are also very clever.

Two noticable Spelling errors:

1.) gelly= jelly
2.) forest-y= either forest or foresty

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I found this to be a very refreshing first chapter.

While the Professor did run out of Pokemon as is the norm for most fics, he found an unlabeled egg to give to Danny instead! I must say I couldn't see that one coming. One thing I can't help but wonder: since when was there Raticates on Route 101? Or did that just come from the Ratatta thing? Meh, just a nit-picky thing I do.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic opening. I can't wait for the next chapter!

Umbreon Ruler

Like clockwork
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Thank you for the reviews! Now, as is tradition here in the Fan Fic section, I shall reply! ^^

The Ebon Blade (whew, it took me forever to find the "b" on my keyboard :P ), I'm afraid I couldn't find the word "gelly" anywhere. Would you mind quoting it?

Yes, a little cliche (ergh, the little ' thing won't work in this box), The Unchosen One, but I tried to make it as original as I could. I'm glad you liked it. And I just assumed that if a certain Pokemon is on a route, its evolution would naturally be there, too. I know, I probably should pick a canon to follow the rules of. :/

The next chapter should be up very quick (since I'm been finished with it for a couple of days, but I'm gonna wait a couple more before posting it), but the third chapter might not be so lucky, since I've only just started on it.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Thank you for the reviews! Now, as is tradition here in the Fan Fic section, I shall reply! ^^

The Ebon Blade (whew, it took me forever to find the "b" on my keyboard :P ), I'm afraid I couldn't find the word "gelly" anywhere. Would you mind quoting it?

Yes, a little cliche (ergh, the little ' thing won't work in this box), The Unchosen One, but I tried to make it as original as I could. I'm glad you liked it. And I just assumed that if a certain Pokemon is on a route, its evolution would naturally be there, too. I know, I probably should pick a canon to follow the rules of. :/

The next chapter should be up very quick (since I'm been finished with it for a couple of days, but I'm gonna wait a couple more before posting it), but the third chapter might not be so lucky, since I've only just started on it.

lol i cant find it anymore but its a very minor error i wouldnt wrry about it. im pretty sreu it was in one of the bigger paragraphs though.

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
Years
This is one of the best fics I've read in a while, no mistakes, and the whole intro really made me want to read on.

Well written, and generally awesome, can't wait till the next chapter!

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
I liked the intro where you used the words like burned, lush & bubbling to identify Charmander, Bulbasaur & Squirtle, without actually saying their names.

Great intro! Look forward to chptr 2 ;)

Umbreon Ruler

Like clockwork
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Thanks! I was afraid it might sound like I was trying to be too philisophical or something. :/ Anyway, you're in luck! Because...

*//Two\\*​
THE MORNING LIGHT​

The air was anything but crisp on that hot summer morning, as Daniel Carson, a trainer-in-the-making, rose from his stiff bed in the grass. The sun, having risen a few hours ago, was beating down on him, causing him to squint. One thing that was worth getting up to, however, was the clear blue sky, seeming somehow more expansive on this morning than it had on any previous ones'.

Groggily recalling the past day's events, he ran his fingers through his hair, noticing that it was already dirty and gaining a greasy feeling. "I could use a shower," he mumbled, realizing that there would probably be many more times when he would wake up with that thought. Then, wanting to slap himself, he remembered that he had forgotten to pack soap. Of course, it would take more than that to get him to return home on his second day. 'I just hope the Pokémon Centers have showers…'

Using a low tree branch for support, he stood, stretching as wide as he could, hoping it might help his aching back. He then looked at his green surroundings, curious to see what it looked like in proper light. That was when he remembered one very important thing.

Lying against the base of the small cliff was the Raticate, still sleeping but noticeably less dazed. She'd be out for maybe another hour, Danny figured, assuming that his one day on his own granted him sufficient knowledge to judge such things. 'I better get moving,' he thought, turning full circle as he searched for Chloe.

She wasn't there.

"Chloe!?" he hissed. "Where are you!?"

He dug around the area for several minutes, getting no results. In desperation, he resolved to retrace all of his steps back to Pallet Town, and if he hadn't found her by then, he'd have to ask Professor Oak for help.

"He'll probably never trust me again…" he whispered, his voice cracking as the seriousness of his situation sunk in. But that was all he could do. "Unless…" Before he could stop himself, he had glanced at the Raticate, considering it as a Pokémon team candidate, but quickly dismissed it, ashamed in himself. 'From now on, I'm keeping her in her Pokéball… no… I…' "Forgot to bring Pokéballs!?"

"Poli?"

He spun around, not daring to hope. He saw the aged bark of a nearby tree. "Ugh…"

"Poli!?" It came from the ground. He looked down and saw Chloe, watching him expectantly.

"You're here!" he shouted, swooping her into his arms. "Where did you go, huh? You had me worried!" She giggled cutely as he lifted her up and down, spinning the whole time. "Now, let's go get my stuff," he said, remembering that he had left all his supplies behind when he was running from the Raticate.

"Poliwag," she agreed, and they slowly made their way back to their original resting spot.

\-+-/​

"… no…" Danny stood wide-eyed above a pile of garbage, shivering despite the warmth of the day. Shreds of fabric covered the grass and lonely pieces of miscellaneous traveling supplies were dotted about. Together, it all made up what used to be his backpack and the materials that had been stored within. The only small consolation was that his money was in the back pocket of the shorts he was wearing.

Kneeling, he picked up his Pokédex, the only item that had survived the massacre. It wasn't by luck, however. The device had clearly been chewed, as its slick red surface was now bruised, but it was just tough enough to stay functional.

'Okay,' he thought, 'I have money. I bet I can get this all replaced when I get to Viridian. I don't need to panic. I'll just get my bicyc-' He stopped. Far off, as if it had been dragged, was a pile of twisted red metal. The tires were punctured, the spokes were gnarled, and the handlebars were smashed. Without the help of a small fortune, it was irreparable. "… h-how?" he stuttered, daring to touch the scratched red paint. "Why…?"

"Poli! Poli!" Chloe jumped onto the scene, jumping on the tattered black rubber.

"CHLOE!" He snatched her up and held her close. "Don't do that… let it be…" Knowing there was nothing he could do, he picked up his Pokédex and walked away, moving forward to Viridian.

\-+-/

VIRIDIAN CITY
The Eternally Green Paradise​

Danny could see why that was the town's official saying. The grass, the building, even the mailboxes; they were all green. The things that couldn't be painted green, such as roads and police cars, stood out painfully against the emerald sea.

Looking down at his anything-but-green outfit, he cringed and walked carefully over the slick, lime-colored stepping stones that were stuck in the grass.

As he traversed the town, he went over a short checklist for when he entered a new town that he had created weeks before he began his journey. 'First, check for and go to a Pokémon Center. Second, refresh supplies. Third, find the gym.' It was very bare, but adequate.

Following it as best as he could, he began searching for a Pokémon Center, which healed Pokémon and trainers for free, and offered rooms. Being from Pallet Town, he wasn't used to such large cities, even if this one wasn't even half the size of some places. He had only been here on occasion, such as shopping trips with his mother or visiting relatives, so the layout was very unfamiliar. Luckily, however, there were several city maps located on street corners in large plastic green boxes. By using their somewhat inaccurate directions, he finally arrived at a gleaming white building with an olive-green roof.

Adequately impressed by the sliding glass double-doors, he entered the perfumed lobby, feeling a blast of cool air. A shiny jade couch lined the entire right side of the large room, and a few casual people sat upon it, flipping though magazines. To his left were several doors which lead to assorted areas of varying interest levels. One was labeled "MEN," another "WOMEN," a third "ROOMS," a couple more "Employees ONLY" and "Waiting Room," and a few miscellaneous others. Directly in front of him was an immaculate counter, kept tidy by a single nurse sitting behind it. She had a white uniform with a red cross on the cap and apron pocket. Her hair was pink and tied into two enormous loops, which didn't seem at all out of place, despite their excessiveness. She was looking directly at Danny with a plastic smile.

"Hello, I'm Nurse Joy. May I help you?" she asked, standing and offering a useless but inviting hand.

"Um, yeah," he almost whispered, slightly shocked at the peaceful ambush. "I need you to, uh, heal my Chlo- I mean, my Poliwag." He set her gently on the counter, keeping one hand on her protectively. He also requested a room, which she complied with, and a shower. She retrieved a small white towel, which could pass for a washrag under the right circumstances, and a tiny bottle of yellow soap.

Leaving his Pokémon alone with the jolly woman, he entered the bathroom, avoiding the gazes of people, knowing that they knew he was taking a shower. The loss of that simple privacy made him extremely uncomfortable. Nevertheless, he continued with his objective, and came out completely refreshed, except for the fact that he was wearing the same clothes, which raised his self-consciousness even more.

"Where is my Pokémon?" he asked Joy, putting his hands in his pockets.

"What species is your Pokémon?" she replied efficiently, typing into a computer. It was as if she had forgotten that Danny had just come in a few minutes ago.

"… a Poliwag."

"Poliwag…" she mumbled, the clicking on her keyboard becoming feverous for a moment. "Ah!" she exclaimed brightly. "Right through that door." She gestured to a sign with "Pokémon" on it. Obeying, he pushed on the faux wooden surface, finding himself in a cozy pink room, with at least fifty tiny beds. Nearly all of them had a Pokémon in it. They ranged from insects, to rodents, or even birds. It was more Pokémon than he had ever seen in one place, and the amazing thing was that they were all peacefully asleep, not like the Raticate he had dealt with the night before.

A fat, pink creature with a pouch on its stomach bobbed from cot to cot, examining each patient with equal care. It was singing a very relaxing tune, which consisted of nothing more than "Chansey, Chansey, Chansey," repeated over and over again.

He finally found Chloe, who was already unconscious. A blanket had been delicately laid over her. Her round stomach inflated and deflated like a balloon and her pink lips sputtered like an old car as she snored gently.

"Chansey!" The nurse creature was running furiously toward him, her tiny handless arms waving wildly. "Chanchan!" She latched onto his short with unexpected strength and dragged him out of the room, garnering wide-eyed stares from everyone in the lobby, including Nurse Joy.

"What did I do?" he asked frantically, turning full circle, right into a slamming door. "What did I do?" This time he asked his audience.

"Sorry," Joy said, typing an abnormally long number into a phone. "She gets a little defensive about her patients." She brought the device to her ear and effectively snubbed the boy.

'What'll I do now?' he thought, recalling his list. 'I guess I'll find a shop…' "Excuse me?" He was looking at Joy, who glimpsed at him but pretended not to notice his plea anyway. Giving up, he walked out of the building, getting a shocking remembrance of how much bigger this city was than Pallet. In his home town, there was but one store, a dusty gas station that was just under the wire when it came to making enough money to stay in business. It had a few types of drinks and candy, and that was about it. But here, he thought, there must be a dozen places to get what he wanted. If he wanted to finish in time to pick up Chloe, he'd better get started.

It was a long and confusing endeavor, in which Danny visited a music retailer, an art gallery, and an electronics outlet, all of which he promptly left in shame. Finally, he found a convenience store which carried Pokéballs, cheap generic clothes, snack that were sold in bulk, and assorted products that would be helpful to him and Chloe. Of course, all of this left his funds severely drained, but not past the point of poverty.

At last, to the indifference of Nurse Joy, he returned to the Center, bearing a few plastic bags. "Is Chloe ready?"

She didn't flinch as she wrote some ineligible scribble onto a clipboard.

"Ahem," Danny said loudly, taking a step closer. She finally noticed him and looked up with a pearly smile. "Is Chloe ready?"

"Who's Chloe?"

"My… my Pokémon. I dropped her off a couple hours ago."

"What's her species, please?" She turned to her computer once again and positioned her fingers over the keys.

Forcing himself not to roll his eyes, he said "Poliwag" and watched scathingly as she performed the search for the second time. When an electronic "ping" sounded from the black speakers, her face lit up and she announced that Chloe was waiting in the same room, completely refreshed and fighting fit.

"You'd better hurry," she continued, winking. "We just got some poisoned patients and Chansey's a little on edge."

"Poison?" he asked, horrified. She explained to him that the Viridian Forest, just outside the city, had countless insects in it, some of which could release near-lethal toxins, and that poisoned Pokémon were checked in all the time. She then proceeded to give him a long lecture on status conditions, such as hypnosis and paralysis, and concluded with the opinion that any good trainer should have supplies to combat them. Danny had none.

"Pooooli!! Polipolipolipoli!" Both humans' eyes bolted to the source of the noise: Chloe was sprinting through the lobby while the aggravated nurse Pokémon, Chansey, was slapping at her with a steaming hot towel. Sizzling noises would erupt on contact, and Danny couldn't help but flinch as the pair swerved toward him.

"Poli!" She leapt with amazing strength, bouncing against his chest, presumably to have him catch her and save her from danger. However, Danny was too shocked to do anything but watch the pathetic Pokémon fall to the floor and suffer a barrage of painful hits from her enemy. "Pooooli!!" she wailed, and finally snapped to her feet and rushed out the door, crying with unexpected loudness.

The room was now quiet. Everyone was staring at Danny, including Chansey. Occasional murmurings echoed from the corners, which he could only presume were about him and his lack of care. The truth is that he wanted to help Chloe, but he knew that if he held onto her, he'd get whipped, and at this early stage of training, his safety was instinctively held above hers.

Now that the danger had subsided, though, his paternal instincts had slowly begun to awaken, and he worriedly ran out the door, both from a sense of urgency and embarrassment.

The city never seemed as big as it did at this moment. The buildings, the trees, the landmarks; they were all hiding places where she could be. He didn't even know where he could start. 'This is the SECOND time I've lost her today! I'm starting to think I'm not cut out for this Pokémon stuff,' he thought wryly, forming a makeshift plan to locate his starter. First, he'd scan nearby places. Then, if that didn't work, he'd ask around, in hopes that someone had seen her go by. And if worse came to worst, he would have to put up Missing Pokémon posters and hang around town until she was found. But he would worry about that later. Now, it was time to search.

He looked all over the block, with no results. Then, he went to a nearby park, which he thought might have an inviting pond. Nothing. He went to a drugstore, a vacant lot, an elementary school playground, and eventually came back to the Pokémon Center. He was having absolutely no luck.

'Plan B,' he decided, throwing himself into the life of the bustling crowds and shop owners. He must've talked to at least a hundred people in the first hour. By the time he found someone who knew something, it was one in the afternoon.

"Um, yeah," a ditzy redhead began, scratching her fuzzy do. "The thing went up that way." She pointed up a street, which went the opposite direction from Pallet Town. "She was crying a lot. What'dya do t-"

"Thanks, bye," he cut in, jogging away. He had just started to forget that it was his fault she was missing. All he wanted was to find her and put everything behind him. She might be angry for a few days, or she might just be happy to see him again. A baby Pokémon, he assumed, could be as unpredictable as a human baby.

He stopped every person he passed. A couple people thought they had seen her, but most replied negatively. Still, he pressed on, following the street, which so far was the only substantial clue he had. He walked straight for at least an hour, slowly examining every corner, every crevice, and every person. Eventually, he reached the very edge of town, which contained several rundown, presumably empty shops and houses. In the center of the wreckage was a huge, two-story building, which had the faded word "GYM" painted on the pale green cement walls. It was oddly menacing for the town, as it had no windows, several fractured areas, and ageless handprints stained onto its side in various dark colors.

Constantly checking behind his back for predators, he grudgingly dug through the debris, finding no Pokémon whatsoever, much less Chloe. He avoided the spooky warehouse-like place the entire time, but eventually had no other alternatives to fill his time. Holding his breath, he began walking straight toward the dirty double doors. When he reached them, he exhaled with a mixture of relief and disappointment as he found that they were locked.

"Well she's not in there," he assured himself quickly, turning around. "I'll have to looks somewhere el-"

"Poli!" It was very difficult to hear, but audible enough for Danny to tell that it came from within the building.

Cursing his ironic luck, he faced the door once again, and proceeded to attempt forcing it open, through grunting, pulling, and kicking, none of which had much success. The thought of going back to Pallet Town forced him to continue. He followed the perimeter of his destination, knocking experimentally on spots he thought might be weak. There were none that he could penetrate. There was, however, a small hole that had dissolved near the ground on the back wall. It looked like it might be just big enough for him to fit through, and as much as he didn't want to crawl through the dirt into a could-be haunted house, he sucked it up and did it anyway.

The first thing he noticed as he face entered the room was a musky smell that almost overpowered him. It was all he could do to retain his vomit. Finally, he had his arms through, which he used to pull the rest of his body inside.

It was dark. There were no windows. He didn't bring a flashlight. In short, it was a game of hide-and-seek in the dark.

"Ch-… Chloe?" he stammered, half-hoping that nothing would hear him.

"Wag!?" It was very far off, somewhere to his left. Taking each step as if it could be his last, he plunged further into the darkness, calling his Pokémon's name every few seconds, getting a reply each time. Following her voice, he managed to hit a few walls, trip over countless items which he couldn't identify, and broke things that sounded both small and large. After he was sufficiently bruised, he entered a room that was roughly his arm span in length and width; the room Chloe was in.

"Girl?" he said, kneeling and blindly feeling the floor. In no time he had her squirming form in his arms, showering her with apologies and hugs. She was quietly babbling fragments of her specie's name as she cried, pushing her face into Danny's chest. It was as if all had been forgiven.

"It's okay, girl." He stroked her head. "You're safe now." 'All I have to do now is get out of here.' It sounded simple, but he knew that retracing his steps would be no easy feat, even if he had a flashlight.

"Let's get started," he whispered, his good mood gone.

\-+-/​

He gasped as he tasted the savory plainness of fresh air. It had taken him all of two dragging hours to find the exit hole, but it was the happiest moment on his journey when he did. Impatient, he shoved himself through, taking a moment to lie in the dirt for a while, resting. Chloe, on the other hand, was dancing an odd jig which involved spinning in circles and shouting.

"Let's go," the boy muttered, standing. It was now that he noticed it was dusk. Once he got back around the gym and could see the rest of the town in the distance, he saw that the streetlights had been turned on. For someone from the bumpkin town of Pallet, it was quite a sight to see all the glittering points together in one place, completely illuminating an entire city. He wouldn't have to rely on a full moon to find his way around.

As he stared at it, he knew that as much as he liked the traveling aspect of a Pokémon journey, it was the big towns that he would enjoy the most. They held a strange essence of romance and excitement that could only be found within the glow of those deep city lights that were up until now completely foreign to him. They held untold secrets from years gone by, invoked powerful feelings from the people around them, and best of all, promised exactly what Danny was there for: adventure.

delongbi

I C U
Years
First off, I really like the format of this story. It makes it so much easier to read than other stories.

You have really nice description in the first two chapters, and I love how you have ended both chapters.

Poor Danny has such low self esteem! But I'm looking forward to how he'll develop.

Hehe, I can imagine Nurse Joy being a tad overworked in Viridian.

I'd like to see some more plot, but I'm not worried cuz it's only chapter 2!

Umbreon Ruler

Like clockwork
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Thanks! That probably has something to do with my less-than-complicated personality. ^^;

Ah, description can either be my worst enemy or best friend. I hope it stays on my side.

Sadly yes, but doesn't it make a great platform for character development?

Yes, with the Pokemon League and all, it does stand to reason that she'd see a lot of trainers.

Soon, we'll see a little more plot. In a couple chapters, we'll even see the addition of a new character, who happens to be my personal favorite.

Thanks for the review! Chapter 3 can be up anytime, since I'm already finished with it, but I'd like to wait till I finish Chapter 4.

Back