• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there Easter Eggs or Pop Culture References in Pokemon?

Jacka

PokéFan
Years
Hello Everyone,

I just had a thought there as I was playing W2, have you ever found an Easter egg, or a pop culture reference in the Pokemon franchise? I remember seeing a screenshot of game play where the main player has been given a phone number from a trainer, who then said something a long the lines of, "... so call me, maybe?" ( maybe a Carley Rae-Jensen reference?)

I don't know, but i thought it would be an interesting topic to bring.

I know I'm not the only one who would like to see the Gangnam-Style dance done by the Kimono Girls. XD

Jacka.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
I think they also talked about the moon landing one. Oh and they had Mario referenced.

Sirfetch’d

I just had a thought there as I was playing W2, have you ever found an Easter egg, or a pop culture reference in the Pokemon franchise? I remember seeing a screenshot of game play where the main player has been given a phone number from a trainer, who then said something a long the lines of, "... so call me, maybe?" ( maybe a Carley Rae-Jensen reference?)

I don't know, but i thought it would be an interesting topic to bring.

I know I'm not the only one who would like to see the Gangnam-Style dance done by the Kimono Girls. XD

Jacka.

The call me maybe reference was in a hack of soulsilver I believe. That game was released before Call me maybe. Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are references to Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I think in Gen I there is a Hiker he says "Fired away!" after you defeat him, a reference to the song 'Hit me with your Best Shot!' :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Fantina says, "Never give up, never surrender!" in D/P/Pt, which is a quote from Galaxy Quest. There are also a lot of 4chan references in D/P, like the youngster in Oreburgh calling the player a "noob."

There are loads of pop culture references in B2/W2, such as:
-Billy Jo, Roxie's bandmate, is named after Billy Joe Armstrong from Green Day
-Some of Pokestar Studios' movies are based on other movies, like Enspoinklopedia Brown (Encyclopedia Brown), Rip Van Dwebble (Rip Van Winkle), Galvantula's Travels (Gulliver's Travels) and Snivy in Ivyland (Alice in Wonderland).

blue

gucci
Years
I think in Gen I there is a Hiker he says "Fired away!" after you defeat him, a reference to the song 'Hit me with your Best Shot!' :)

Yeah, I picked up on this.. before the battle he says "Hit me with your best shot" and when you defeat him it's "Fired Away!"

Years
There's a Young Couple that can be rematched in Ruby & Sapphire who's named Lois & Hal, a reference to Malcolm In The Middle. (They got renamed Kira & Dan in Emerald though)

In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald there is a guitarist named Kirk, a reference to Metallica.

Also, at the Poke Transfer Lab there is a Homestuck reference when someone says "This kid is a Pokémon Trainer who has all the Gym Badges. All of them!". There's even a Doctor Who reference when the lab's professor says this when you're about to start transferring Pokemon: "Well, let's begin. Allons-y!" and after you're done: "Great! Molto Bene!"

One of the Riches in Black & White is named Draco, after the Harry Potter character Draco Malfoy.

And on Route 127 in Ruby/Sapphire, there's a Fisherman named Jonah who has a Wailmer on his team. Obvious reference to the famous story from the Bible.

Hugh and Colress in Black 2 & White 2 make a reference to Jersey Shore when they say "Come at me!".

And even the Pokemon Zekrom and Reshiram are Yu-Gi-Oh! references, Zekrom is black with red eyes while Reshiram is white with blue eyes, similar to Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Red-Eyes Black Dragon and Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

There's also one in the Pokemon movies too, in the fourth movie there is a character named Dundee who has a Croconaw with him, a reference to Crocodile Dundee.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I believe a Grunt in Diamond/Pearl (I can't be sure about Pearl because I only own Diamond, but I assume it's the same) says "noob". That's the only thing I know of, though.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
I think they also talked about the moon landing one. Oh and they had Mario referenced.

Yes, this is true. In the Pewter City Museum you can see a model of a space shuttle, and an old man near the meteorites says "July 20, 1969! Mankind first set on the moon that day. I bought a color TV just so I could watch that news."

There is also indeed a Mario reference, where in Saffron City in the copycat's house, interact with the console. It will read "A Mario game with a bucket on his head!"

One more thing: In Rock Tunnel, a hiker goes "Hit me with your best shot!" referencing a famous rock song performed by Pat Benatar.

Back