• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2023
Usually I don't go for the Grass Types, but in Gen. 5 I went with Snivy until I found out I like Oshawott better. But in this case, I really like Chespin's overall design, I hope it's evolutions look as cool as Chespin does, and hopefully their stats are pretty well too. :)

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Chespin is my favorite design-wise as well. I usually never pick the grass starter, but if his evolutions look as cool as he does and he gets a decent second type (hopefully rock or ground) it might be the first time I'll start my adventure with the Grass starter :D

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I'm actually unsure who to use as my starter now, all 3 have now become equally adorable to me, it's hard to choose, I'll wait til the first gym leader is revealed so I can know how to get a good start

blue

gucci
Years
I've also grown to like all three over the last few months, at first Fennekin was a dead cert but now... I'm kinda torn.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'm on the other spectrum...I'm expecting Gamefreak to do Fire/Fighting again since its the better type combination used so far and don't see any reason to change that up now. People can complain all they want, but Fire/Fighting isn't a broken type combination in a good or bad way. Its pretty balanced.

We also didn't think Tepig could be Fire/Fighting but it was. So as far as expectations

Chespin Evo Grass/Rock
Fennekin Evo Fire/Fighting
Froakie Evo Water/Electric OR Water/Flying
It may not be broken in a competive sense but it feel unoriginal now after three generations of Fire/Fighting. I hope they do something special with Fennekin even making it pure Fire like Typlosion.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It may not be broken in a competive sense but it feel unoriginal now after three generations of Fire/Fighting. I hope they do something special with Fennekin even making it pure Fire like Typlosion.

Many unoriginal things have been used longer than fire/fighting. First route rat, early game regional birds, pikachu clones. These are ignored because they are "tradition" but its boring if they use a good type combination. Either complain about it all or don't. The others are way more annoying and Fire/fighting are used more than other starters. Majority of starters are low rank tiers and the two non fighting starters are bottom tier as well. All there are are lame excuses with worse or more annoying yet ignored repeats. If they're to be more original start with whats been the same for 5 generations now.

Fennekin is already at a high chance of being completely destroyed when the games come out. She can be fire/psychic with only physical moves. A physical attacker with only special moves. Horrible stats/move pool to make her unappealing much like Snivy when gen 5 was released. With fire/fighting at leadt she's practically guaranteed to be used more than the other two. Maybe about as much as infernape if she doesn't get a stat/movepool shafting. Chespin has the best potential if grass rock as his only worry will be the fire/fighting starters.

Years
between the new photos that has benn posted there was a chespin with his move set at level 5, he had a vine whip. does this mean that the starters will get a stab move at the start? it nice change, but in that case i hope the first rival battle won't be immedately after we get the starter.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Not necessarily. The preview screenshots of the games have been known to show things so that we have a look at what is new, but don't stay the same in the games. If anything, it might just mean that they were showcasing that Vine Whip got a boost in PP from what is has been in the games, as well as that it is part of its moveset. It's not guaranteed that it will actually learn it at that level when the games themselves come out.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I hope they don't get a STAB move at Lv5, would make the Rival battle pretty impossbile.
I do love though that Chespin will know Rollout, great against Flying, Bug, Fire AND Ice
I might just pick my least favorite type as a starter this time :D

Years
well, monsieur leaker said that everything he said was fake, but i think one thing he said will be true.
when he was ask how the starters final evolution will look he said that froakie will be water/dark ninja. not only that this a cool idea i actualy see this happaning.
what do you think about this idea

Last edited:

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I'm picking Chespin, unless the rumors of Froakie becoming a ninja frog or a dark frog are accurate in which case I'm getting the frog... I don't know why everyone loves Fennekin so much... I think its design is the worse by far...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Because Fennec Fox are cute that's why.
Spoiler:

Years
I think Fennekin's final evolution may be a reference to france. Piplup and Snivy's final evolutions had a french theme going on with their origins so maybe final Fennekin will too to complete the elemental french starter triangle. Of course though we never got a flightless bird grass starter so we may not get our french fire starter...yet Fennekin carries itself in that stereotypical french fashion...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I like Froakie's design the most and it's been a while since I last picked a water starter so I know what I'm gonna be using.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Fennekin is based on Fennec Fox who are mostly in Sahara of North Africa, some parts of North Africa were a french colony.

Years
@MRAS - serperior is based on Medusa (greek myth) not french..
Someone from gamefreak, forget who said that the inspiration for Serperior was French.
Also this part of it's origins from bulbapedia agrees " It and its pre-evolutions were confirmed to have been inspired from European, specifically French, royalty. The fact that Serperior amplifies sunlight in its body, as stated in its Pokédex entry, may be an allusion to King Louis XIV, a famous French king who referred to himself as the "Sun King". Serperior's white face also alludes to the skin whitening fashion, mostly used by the European aristocracy in the 17th century."

And we all know Piplup's line was based on Napoleon, and if Snivy's was Louis XIV, I wonder which French figure will be the basis of Fennekin's final evolution, I can only think of Charlemagne aka Charles I, emperor of the first western empire since the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back