• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, Dude! Check out my new tat!

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
"Dude you got a foot tattoo'd on your butt?"

Tattoos are something that a lot of people seem to get. Some people are for them, some are against them. What is your personal view towards tattoos?

Do you think that having something permanently put on your skin is something that is cool and could really show passion towards something? Or, do you think it's stupid and people always end up regretting it?

I personally don't see the point in random tattoos. A lot of people get them just because they "look cool" or something. I feel that the only reason you should ever get a tattoo would be if someone who was very close to you passed away or something and you just wanted to get one to show the compassion you had toward that person. Other than that, they can be pretty tacky and stupid in my opinion, only because I do believe that something you like at 20, you won't be liking at 40.

Outlier

I'm indifferent to them for the most part. As long as you're not hurting anyone I think you can do whatever you want with your body. My only judgement will be whether I think the tattoos are ugly or if they suit you.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I think they're pretty cool. Not my thing, personally, but I know a lot of people who are really into them. I think it just sucks when people get a tattoo that they regret later, and they can't get it removed (except for really painful and expensive laser treatments). That's part of the reason I've never been interested. I often get "buyer's remorse", so there's a 99.9% chance that if I get a tattoo I'll regret it the next day.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
For my 21st birthday, I got a tattoo instead of going out to drink. I went through a process of seeing which tattoo struck a cord with me, and then tried to understand the reason behind it. I ended up getting a tribal outline that had a heart-shaped stone centerpiece in the design. The tribal parts came off of it like wings made of thorns, and it was easy for me to understand the significance to me.

I love my tattoo, but they are not something everyone should consider. They have to have meaning, otherwise you are just putting ink into your skin instead of an ideal, meaning, or even oath. I see many people showing them off, and I often ask them why they got it done, and I cringe any time I hear, "Because it was sick."

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I love tattoos. They're awesome.

I want a wolf tattoo because its my spirit animal and I probably will get some astrological one too for Pisces. The nice ones are so expensive though so idk

It's a great way to personalize your body I guess. There's nothing wrong with that.

and I think Rihanna has the coolest tattoos ever

On the other hand I think getting a tattoo of your lover's name is just incredibly stupid.

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2014
I like them, personally, and I have a few (seven actually), but completely respect those who find them trashy or ugly. After all aren't you supposed to respect everyone's opinion even if you disagree? My mom, for instance, is a starch opponent of tattoos and find them incredibly distasteful. Now imagine me, a pro-tattoo kind of girl coming home to show mommy my newest ink? I really should have recorded some of those reactions, come to think of it.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
and I think Rihanna has the coolest tattoos ever.

Her tattoos totally blow imo ;(

Tattoos are a bit of a tricky one for me, only because I find myself constantly changing my views. I used to be of the opinion that every tattoo should have meaning, but then I thought about it a bit more and I honestly don't think it's any of my business to be judging why people get tattoos. I guess that stemmed from a conversation with my older sister when she was being really invasive about my latest tattoo, and I didn't think it was appropriate.

What I do believe about tattoos though is that you should never, ever get a visible tattoo as your first ink. It's just a security thing - you don't know what it's like to have something on your body forever (at least nothing like a tattoo) so there's no real way you could be prepared for the public stigma and judgement of people constantly seeing your tattoo. I only have two tattoos but they're both pretty hideable if I ever need to.

I want a half-sleeve eventually (after I go to the gym and make my arms a bit bigger haha) and a few more I think. I really like tattoos, what can I say?

Melody

Banned
Years
Tattoos are often a highly personal thing, so I try not to judge too harshly on them.

I just know that I want a highly unique tattoo that I didn't pick out of a gallery of "quick and easy" designs that the artist has probably inked into 15 other people that day. I want it to be cute, have a significant meaning to me and be uniquely ME. That said, I always find images I'd love to have tattooed on my body, but I force myself to remember and visualize the image for 6 months as if I've tattooed it in various places on my body, and sometimes all over my body. If I can't overcome the internal resistance to it, then it's clearly not an image I can live with being tattooed on my body yet

To this date I have not gotten any tattoos, mostly because even when I've had the cash to do so, I've had other priorities higher on my list, but I do owe myself about 3 tattoos already.

Sir Codin

I get bored often, so I don't really think I'll get a tattoo because chances are I'll eventually get bored with it.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
I think tattoos are great, they look awesome (mostly)... unless they have a spelling mistake, or if the tattoo you've gotten doesn't suit you at all (which I haven't come across yet, but I'm sure it's happened)

Just... not for me, that's all. I just don't particularly want to permanently put something like that on my body, because I don't want to ever regret it or anything. If I did get a tattoo, it would be the name of someone I really really care about (not just a boyfriend or anything, but, for example, my Grandfather who's been dead for 8 years). I also would consider getting a pattern, or something that I generally am passionate about. But hey, I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of getting a tattoo, I'm too lazy.

Years
I like having tattoos, but I get rather uncomfortable when stranger ask what they mean, they don't have a story behind them that you need to hear.
For me they're ultra personal and sort of more like subtle implications towards my personality than any specific event. I'm not going to tell you what they mean if you think about them symbolically you might appreciate them more.
And that's why I have a problem with a lot of people who have tattoos, they don't think hard enough about them to make them significant.

Also if you get your partners name tattooed on you I will instantly unfriend you in my mind. Soznotsoz.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I think they're really cool. I used to debate having them, but I think I won't get tattooed, just because it's cost prohibitive. Having blind friends made me realize that, at least in the perspective of the wearer, that it's kind of just a sort of symbol thing and you don't really need it. I think they're really awesome though and I have total respect for the artists.

Years
Tattoos I believe are an expression of character and for that, I like them for others who are brave enough to get one, just not myself. Although overly printing tattoos on to every single inch of your body is a bit excessive...A couple meaningful ones here and there is where I draw the boundary from, not to be judgmental, being artistic versus a straight up bad*** (excuse my language).

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't see anything wrong with tattoos, I like them. People will judge you if you get a tattoo, no matter what it is. I worked with a guy that had the tattoo "honky" on his neck and he was never allowed to work in the front. I really like tattoos because they can reflect something about yourself and make you more individualistic. I also like them because they can help you remember the past. I remember in Weeds when Nancy received a tattoo of U-Turn, i symbolized that chapter in her life and made her a stronger person.

If I ever get a tattoo, I'll get one where no one can see it so I won't be judged when applying for jobs.

Years
I have several tattoos. To each his own, but I believe that you shouldn't get a tattoo just for the sake of getting one. It's gotta mean something to you. And I wouldn't get any on any part of your body that can't be covered up, just if you ever have to. I know a bank president who is totally tattooed, although you'd never know it cuz she covers up. You don't get tattoos for anyone else, you get them for YOU. It's nobody else's business. The half sleeve I'm working on is my profile picture on here, check it out! :)

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Tattoos can be really awesome. But, at the same time, they can look awful. It is a form of art and as with other more conventional artists, you have your good and your bad.

I would love to get a meaningful tattoo, personally. However, I know how fickle I am with interests and such so my biggest fear is if the tattoo will eventually reach a point of irrelevance in my life. I would probably go the route of getting something with permanent meaning. My grandmother just passed away very recently, so I would consider a simple lilac in her honor, as that was one of her favorite flowers and her name was Lila.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
People seem to want to have a problem with tattoos on my behalf.

I feel that if you yourself want to have a tattoo then no one should have a problem with it. It's your body, your money, your decision.

If there is some deep and poignant meaning behind a tattoo then fine, but there doesn't have to be. When people try to stretch to a reason simply to get a tattoo then they should probably wait. I say this because they clearly care what another person would say about it, if they're forcing themselves to find a meaning behind it.

Two of my tattoos have no real meaning behind them, and I'm perfectly happy with them.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 8, 2014
I think they're cool. It all depends on what you want to do with your body, y'know?

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Well personally I think most tattoos look pretty cool, some are just amazing, then there are those that look like the person who gave it to you is blind.

Though some kind of tattoos annoy me or at least I see as useless or dumb.

-Random Asian characters-that-mean-something-tattoos
"This one means LUCKY" Real meaning: Ducksauce

-Your lover's name, unless you plan on marrying that person then I don't think it would be a good idea for you to do this, unless you absolutely insist.

-Very, very tiny itty-bitty tattoos that nobody is bound to see unless you show them, if you get a tattoo then you might as well make it big enough to be noticed.

But in overall I really enjoy seeing tattoos, and I respect whatever you think of them.

Years
Well personally I think most tattoos look pretty cool, some are just amazing, then there are those that look like the person who gave it to you is blind.

Though some kind of tattoos annoy me or at least I see as useless or dumb.

-Random Asian characters-that-mean-something-tattoos
"This one means LUCKY" Real meaning: Ducksauce

-Your lover's name, unless you plan on marrying that person then I don't think it would be a good idea for you to do this, unless you absolutely insist.

-Very, very tiny itty-bitty tattoos that nobody is bound to see unless you show them, if you get a tattoo then you might as well make it big enough to be noticed.

But in overall I really enjoy seeing tattoos, and I respect whatever you think of them.

For the people who have those kinds of tattoos, I feel like they're getting one just for the sake of having one, apparently because they've been peer pressured into thinking that it's "cool" to have one without any real meaning. These things are permanent and individuals thinking of getting one should spend a generous amount of time thinking it through otherwise you'll regret it.

One of my friends, who everyone thought would never get a tattoo, actually got one and this was such a surprise. We all thought it was a joke and that she was drunk while doing it, but apparently she thought there was a quote that meant a lot to her. There's a difference between getting a tattoo for artistic purposes, which I don't mind, and then there's the people who impulsively get their lover's name on their body, or random Chinese characters.

Back