• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ps3 or xbox 360

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Unless you're an avid movie watcher and want to make the most of your hi-definition TV with a Blu-Ray player, go with the 360. Most of the best games for PS3 are on both platforms (and in many cases, look/play better on the 360), so you won't be missing out on TOO much. The Xbox has more exclusives so if you're looking mostly to play your console, it'd be the one to go with.

If it makes any difference, you might wanna look at online play too though. It's free to get online and play with others over PSN, the PS3's online network. But if you want to play against/with anyone over XBL, you'll need a gold subscription which can run you $50ish per year. The quality of XBL is much better, so you are getting what you pay for. :|

At any rate, I recommend the 360. It gets more playtime from me than my PS3 so it'd be my preference.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
Years
When you buy a 360 you aren't just buying a console...you are buying a lifestyle.

When I bought my 360 I wasn't really into games at all. I liked playing the occasional game but I couldn't justify the need for a console but I bought it on impulse and it was a great purchase.

The new Xbox Experience is completely immersing, sleek, and easy to use. The games are amazing and eveything is just really quality. Xbox Live is a must.

Years
Really, questions like this don't really make any sense to me. Your are just asking other people for their opinions on how you should form yours. What you need to ask yourself is this when choosing between a 360 or a PS3:

- What system do more of my friends have?
- What games does each system have? Which ones show more intrest to me?
- If you plan for online gaming, do you wish to pay for online gaming?
- Do I want to take advantage of high-definition gaming?
- And finally, which console will serve me best in the long-run?

Now just a couple of facts on both system:

Sony Playstation 3:

- Major Retail Exclusives (Released games only): Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance: Fall of Man/Resistance 2, SOCOM: Confrontation, Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and Warhawk.
- Free online play
- Blu-Ray discs offer more space which can lead to larger games which means more content for games.
- Core Processor helps make games preform better
- Internal HDD space is now larger than that of the 360 with 80GB and 160GB systems becoming the standard. (Not to mention that those Harddrives can be changed out with ones with sizes of 320GB)
- Internal Wi-Fi
- An Internet Browser
- The more expensive system

Microsoft Xbox 360

- Major Retail Exclusives (Released games only): Halo 3, Mass Effect, Gears of War/Gears of War 2, Fable II, and Left 4 Dead.
- Charged for Online Play (typically a better service when looking at LIVE features)
- Uses DVD-9 discs which are a lot smaller than that of the Blu-ray discs which can shrink the content that can be added to a game
- HDD's are not normal ones, so you are restricted to Microsoft 360 brand Harddrives
- A Wi-fi adaptor must be bought to go wireless
- In-order to play HD-DVDs, you must buy an add-on
- Game Library is larger than that of the PS3s
- Some multi-platform games preform better on the 360 due to being developed there first and then ported to the PS3
- Console is cheeper than the PS3 (though don't be fooled into the Arcade version. It's as low as it is because there is no HDD with the system and you'll end up spending the same amount as a Pro version when you buy a HDD).

If you really want an opinion though, I'll give you mine. I personally prefer the PS3 over the 360, mainly because I know it is going to serve me better in the long run. The larger 360 game library is tossed into PS3 owners faces, but in all reality it is only due to the fact that Microsoft released the system a year a head of the PS3 and it would be shocking if it didn't have more games. If you actually look at the PS3, it has a good size library of amazing exclusives. This list includes the top notch game in both story telling and gameplay, Metal Gear Solid 4, the game based around pure fun with a level-editor that is only limited by your own imagination and creativity, LittleBigPlanet, and the super fast-paced arcade shooter, Resistance 2. Also, if you are just looking for online play, the PS3 gives you just that for free. LIVE's service only offers more features to the user, not a service that actually runs any more smoother. Besides, the Playstation Network is catching up in those features and still staying true to being a free service.

Also, the price of the PS3 is larger, but you are getting a good console with the system. You don't need to pay for an HD player or a wi-fi adaptor. If you were to buy those with the 360 you'd get close to the current lowest price of the PS3.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
Years
Really, questions like this don't really make any sense to me. Your are just asking other people for their opinions on how you should form yours. What you need to ask yourself is this when choosing between a 360 or a PS3:

- What system do more of my friends have?
- What games does each system have? Which ones show more intrest to me?
- If you plan for online gaming, do you wish to pay for online gaming?
- Do I want to take advantage of high-definition gaming?
- And finally, which console will serve me best in the long-run?

Now just a couple of facts on both system:

Sony Playstation 3:

- Major Retail Exclusives (Released games only): Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance: Fall of Man/Resistance 2, SOCOM: Confrontation, Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and Warhawk.
- Free online play
- Blu-Ray discs offer more space which can lead to larger games which means more content for games.
- Core Processor helps make games preform better
- Internal HDD space is now larger than that of the 360 with 80GB and 160GB systems becoming the standard. (Not to mention that those Harddrives can be changed out with ones with sizes of 320GB)
- Internal Wi-Fi
- An Internet Browser
- The more expensive system

Microsoft Xbox 360

- Major Retail Exclusives (Released games only): Halo 3, Mass Effect, Gears of War/Gears of War 2, Fable II, and Left 4 Dead.
- Charged for Online Play (typically a better service when looking at LIVE features)
- Uses DVD-9 discs which are a lot smaller than that of the Blu-ray discs which can shrink the content that can be added to a game
- HDD's are not normal ones, so you are restricted to Microsoft 360 brand Harddrives
- A Wi-fi adaptor must be bought to go wireless
- In-order to play HD-DVDs, you must buy an add-on
- Game Library is larger than that of the PS3s
- Some multi-platform games preform better on the 360 due to being developed there first and then ported to the PS3
- Console is cheeper than the PS3 (though don't be fooled into the Arcade version. It's as low as it is because there is no HDD with the system and you'll end up spending the same amount as a Pro version when you buy a HDD).

If you really want an opinion though, I'll give you mine. I personally prefer the PS3 over the 360, mainly because I know it is going to serve me better in the long run. The larger 360 game library is tossed into PS3 owners faces, but in all reality it is only due to the fact that Microsoft released the system a year a head of the PS3 and it would be shocking if it didn't have more games. If you actually look at the PS3, it has a good size library of amazing exclusives. This list includes the top notch game in both story telling and gameplay, Metal Gear Solid 4, the game based around pure fun with a level-editor that is only limited by your own imagination and creativity, LittleBigPlanet, and the super fast-paced arcade shooter, Resistance 2. Also, if you are just looking for online play, the PS3 gives you just that for free. LIVE's service only offers more features to the user, not a service that actually runs any more smoother. Besides, the Playstation Network is catching up in those features and still staying true to being a free service.

Also, the price of the PS3 is larger, but you are getting a good console with the system. You don't need to pay for an HD player or a wi-fi adaptor. If you were to buy those with the 360 you'd get close to the current lowest price of the PS3.
Good assessment and to each his own but I gotta chime in here. PS3 online doesn't even hold a candle to XBOX Live. Xbox live is the most intuitive and interactive feature in gaming. It's gorgeous and yes...there is a fee...but only like 60 dollars a year, that's nothin!

For me personally I gravitated towards the 360. I liked the interface, the library, and how much better games seemed to look and feel on the xbox. Each system has it's own perks though but as games evolve the systems, I think, are going to start running together.

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
If you wanna replace your console every three weeks from RRoD and be subject to avid screaming from irate players over the headset go 360.

If you want poor headset connectivity, a hefty battle to walk it home and a less comfy controller then go PS3.

TBH both are pretty good, and both have their fair share of issues. PS3 won me over because it had better exclusives in my eyes. It's also got a lot longer shelf life on it than a 360, system restore feature (incase your system should ever brick or become corrupted) and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Metal
Gear
Solid

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2010
Xbox 360 does not suffer from RRod frequently anymore. I admit I was one of the victims on RRod but Microsoft fix that problem months ago by installing new chips.

I think you should choose x-360 because it has a wide range of games and its has nearly all the exclusive DLC for games. Also xbox live is the the best online service in the buisness.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
Years
My brother had a first gen 360 and it didn't get the RRoD until about 6 months ago I think. And we mailed it in and had a brand new 360 within a week for free. *shrug* Not bad to me.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
What to buy: Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3?

I need help... I CAN'T FIND ANY GOOD GAMES!!! It's a crisis, if only my birthday hadn't been in November.

To fix this problem, I have decided to buy a brand new console (Yay!). I've currently got a PS2 and a Wii (I'm a bit behind), I never got PS3 because at first it only had boring remakes of my PS2 games, plus it couldn't play my ps2 games on it, which would be a waste of lot and lots an lots and lots and lots and lots (...) of money. If I get a PS3, I'm keeping my PS2 plugged in, but is it worth getting with PS2 still getting games... but what about the graphics and the updates to the games?

Next on the menu is Xbox 360, I've never played any Xbox stuff, as... well... I'm a die-hard nintendo/playstation fan. Though it seems good, so I might get it, is it worth the money?

So... which should I get, PS3... or XBOX 360!!! (Dun dun DUUUN!).

Last edited:

Ascaris

boogey
Years
If you want a console that'll last for ten years, get a PS3. If you want a console that is at it's prime now, but will most likely be discontinued after a few years, get a 360.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Go with the 360 since it has a lot of the PS3's games as well. The only selling points for the PS3 is a Blu-ray player and if you really want to play Little Big Planet.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Gabe will kill me for saying this, but you might want to go with the PS3. There have been ALOT more games released for the PS3 since its beginning, and I'll admit that it was really bad at first ( a few war and racing games )
That...and little big planet :D

Heck, if you do it properly, you can even run Windows or Linux on a PS3.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2008
Is this even a serious question? I mean, c'mon it's obvious the 360 is the only clear choice. It has the best games and Xbox LIVE is just godly.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
The only serious problems with the 360 are the Red Ring of Death and having to pay for online PvP. If you don't mind those, then go with the 360. Otherwise, pick up a PS3 if you can afford it.

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
Years
Xbox 360. I think you'll really start to appreciate the large online community when you get a bit older.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Just so no one's confused: I merged the new thread that was made with an older "360 or PS3" thread that hadn't quite expired yet. In the future, please make sure there isn't already a similar thread active in the last month before you create a new one. :)

Harry Blue5

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Well, it's clear that Xbox 360 is better than PS3, but that raises another question. I just went to Woolworths (A shop) and it had an Xbox 360 and an Xnox 360 Elite... so what to get now? Is Elite worth the extra money? Or is Xbox 360 still better worth the money.

Gunn

horror resident
Years
Xbox 360 does not suffer from RRod frequently anymore.

That's partially true, as the issue was fixed in mid-2007 falling from a 35% fail rate to a 15%, which is still pretty high if you ask me. I have a friend who has owned their console since they were first released and it has perfect function while I owned mine just barely for 12 months and I got the RRoD about three weeks ago. Still, if anyone were to come cross the RRoD, Microsoft offers a 3-year warranty just for that purpose from the purchase date. In other words, the Red Ring of Death is nothing to worry about if you were to consider buying an Xbox 360 console; everything's covered.

Anyway, what I don't like about the Xbox 360 is that you have to pay for Xbox Live (onling gaming), but other than that, I love it. Of course, just get whatever YOU want because everyone is just going to share their opinion on their favorite console.

Ascaris

boogey
Years
Where is everyone getting this "It has more games so it must be better," crap from?

Not everyone has the money to afford every single game for the PS3 or the 360. The PS3 has enough games in all it's genres to satisfy most users. For every single blockbuster the 360 has, the PS3 has a title that is no less great. People who say that the games on the 360 are better have obviously never played games on the PS3.

And the price? Buying a 360, the internet cable and the HD-DVD drive, not to mention the yearly fees for live, costs much more than an 80 GB PS3. And the PS3 gets all those for free.

The only thing that the 360 has over the PS3 is live.

Harry Blue5

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Hmmm... what if I didn't want to pay the yearly subscriptions and kept to normal gameplay. Then what? Keep in mind I still have my PS2.

Back