• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Favorite ROM to hack?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
So what's your favorite and why?
I like hacking Emerald, because... I dunno. It's just really undervalued I guess.

Years
There's been a delay on threads that have been posted in the past few days- which is why this one appeared lower in the list. Though I'm bumping it by posting, anyway :D

I think someone's "favourite" ROM to hack is simply down to what they want to have in their hack. I'd love to hack Emerald, but I simply don't know enough about it's data to edit it efficiently/without encountering odd issues. I'd like to be able to have the Battle Frontier at the end of one of my hacks, but I just use Ruby instead. I prefer it's features to those of FireRed, and seeing as Emerald is out of the question for me, Ruby is the next best thing.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I also like Emerald the best. It's the newest GBA game, and has a bunch of extra songs from Fire Red that Ruby does not have.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
While I've dabbled in Ruby hacking, I've always found FR to be much more comfortable. I'm familiar with a lot of its features and JPAN's additions have definitely elevated it to a stage above many of the other ROMs available. If only it had the Battle Frontier :P

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I like to use FR, simply because most people hack it, there are more tutorials, tools, and a lot of amazing things for it like JPAN's hacked engine and the 649 patch. :) Back when I started hacking, I tried to make a ruby hack, but I switched to FR after I kept having to restart due to bugs. >_< It'd be great to try hacking Emerald sometime, but a lot of tools are incompatible with it and just not that much is known about it. :(

marcc5m

what
Years
FireRed. It used to be Ruby, but then I took an arrow to the knee saw the light started hacking FireRed more and...Idk, I just prefer it. Although game-wise I prefer Ruby. :\

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
FireRed no doubt. It just seems better to me. It is hacked very much and there is a lot of knowledge known about it. It is also fun to see what challenging things you can take from Ruby or Emerald or even a DS game and try to put into FireRed.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
Years
Anything on the NDS. Preferably Platinum and up. D/P is too generic. It's like the Pokémon Ruby of NDS hacking.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2013
Blue version. I like it old school. Speaking of which, keep your eyes peeled. I'm going to be showing off my Blue hack called Pokemon classic pretty soon.

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Firered certainly. Ruby's generation of games have abysmal tiles and ugh I hate them so much... Firereds seem to fit a lot better and there's far more tutorials for it, plus I love the look of it! I haven't tried DS hacking, sounds too complicated, is there an advance map like tool you can use for DS hacking? Oh well, I'm part way through an unannounced Firered hack anyway! :)

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
Emerald it is the newest GBA game and it is fun :D. I love messing with it... also Black is fun to mess with too.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2015
I like hacking emerald. I took out the ticket events and made it possible to get Mew, Deoxys, the other lati, And the legendary bird pokemon. I don't do storys because I'm not good at righting them.

So basically I make cheat roms. I once put a mew in the room you start in.
You could buy rare candys and masterballs for one pokedollar. The mew also talked
and gave you hints and tips.

Ss4gogeta0

Game Designer
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I like messing around with both Pkm gold and Ruby.... dunno why... well atleast for ruby... I love gold... I remember when my grandmother Pre ordered it... Best day ever... (came with a cd but I gave that way years ago)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
A mix of Ruby and Emerald, mainly as I don't like Firered, and I can't do the other generations at all as I'm a complete idiot. Dunno why, but Ruby is my top, Emerald is close when I figure it all out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2013
Same reasons with those who picked Fire Red. It's a lot easier and I am much more comfortable with it. Plus, there are lots of tools as well as tutorials related to it than Ruby or Emerald. The tiles are also great even if you won't change. Some of Ruby and Emerald's tiles are just awful, not a huge fan of those. There are still a lot of reasons why I picked Fire Red but for the most part, it is where I am much more skilled and knowledgeable.

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I also prefer Fire Red. It has much more information and tools, also all of the above reasons.
The tiles for Fire Red are much better than R/S/E imo, the OWs are better, and the list could go on.

droomph

weeb
Years
Emerald. Without a doubt.

Why? Because I found out one day that it had fewer research points and more features and I was all like, "OH YEAH I'M ALL OVER THAT" and I started researching it and oh things are wonderful ^^

Back